• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Cheesing with barrels works only so far in this lab fight. Got the boss and some cyclops..the rest just go out of range lol.
You fought adds? Weird. I just did (before engaging her) rain->chill(freeze)->teleport (right in the middle of the party for -20 flanking bonus), beat the hell out of her for two rounds, then when she thawed, knockdown/fist, then finished her off. Even worse is she's facing away from you to start so as long as you start all of this for 12-13 feet you're fine.

Eternia

Just recently beat the fight late into the Luculla Forest within the
Immaculate Church basement against Mangoth. Pretty tough until for the first time I considered really turtling and moved into the middle room to form a chokepoint which led to me not getting stunlocked into oblivion.
The puzzle prior to that was aggravating though, did not see the tiny switch there and didn't get the order immediately either. I kept following the
compass on my map but apparently there's one in the room that I missed?

Uh. Wow. Act 2 North of the map spoilers
Straight up cleared out every demon by sneaking left and destroying the blood stone with a rogue. Awesome!
So the Zix Zax guy alerts you with
There are 3 paths to go and such, is he talking about 3 areas? And that's one of them?
I kind of avoided it once I saw what is up there and instead proceeded to the next map which had enemies 2-3 levels higher than me...so I'll probably be heading back. He also talks about
Tenebrium weapons
, I still have no clue where you would learn that skill.

Zukuu

Banned
Any tips for the gate found behind where you fought
Boreas
?
Northwest corner is a statue that you may want to take a closer look at. ;)

The loot table in hinderheim seems to be bugged tho. I got only level 4-ish stuff from his chests (and in other places there as well)

So the Zix Zax guy alerts you with
There are 3 paths to go and such, is he talking about 3 areas? And that's one of them?
I kind of avoided it once I saw what is up there and instead proceeded to the next map which had enemies 2-3 levels higher than me...so I'll probably be heading back. He also talks about
Tenebrium weapons
, I still have no clue where you would learn that skill.
The Tenebrium skill can be learned by solving the quest from the overseer in the town, which requires you to give him some Tenebrium ore. You can either do the Troll King quest, or just get it from the Sacred town in the north east. Solving the quest yields a +1 Tenebrium to ALL characters. In the sacred town is also a Tenebrium book (on a shelf in the workshop of the crazy alchemist), which upon reading, also gives +1 to that skill; only for the character reading it tho.
Tenebrium weapons are an own thing if you enchant a weapon with it, making any points invested into 1h/2h/bows/crossbows pointless. Since I have 2h +7, I don't bother with the enchant. It only does SLIGHTLY more damage than a normal element enchant anyway. If you want to enchant a weapon, just drag a Tenebrium bar onto a weapon to turn it into one.

Just recently beat the fight late into the Luculla Forest within the
Immaculate Church basement against Mangoth. Pretty tough until for the first time I considered really turtling and moved into the middle room to form a chokepoint which led to me not getting stunlocked into oblivion.
The puzzle prior to that was aggravating though, did not see the tiny switch there and didn't get the order immediately either. I kept following the
compass on my map but apparently there's one in the room that I missed?

Ah, great job. I'm actually stuck on this fight right now.
Tried making the middle room a choke point, but I kept messing it up and those demons were still able to toss fireballs right past my front-liners where my mage and archer were set up, making it doubly hard to keep my front-liners supported and healed and basically not being frozen/cursed/burned.

I ended up taking a break from that fight and started messing around with other quests. Hopefully I can find some decent fire resistance gear along the way.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
28-hours in.. just cleared out the first area now and somehow managed to beat
braccus
on hard using a range of different spells, container placement to block the bosses etc. Really satisfying how there's so many different ways of approaching the combat in this.

Now at the start of the second area now. Can't wait to see what it has in store!

Pollux

Man, I've been playing for 90 minutes and I can safely say...I LOVE this game.

This is the first game of it's type that I've ever played, and I'm confused as hell, I have no clue what's happening...and I'm loving every second of it.

The game doesn't really hold your hand, and it requires you to actually think about what you're doing and to explore your surroundings. I'm investigating the first town and the first "main quest" (I think it's the main quest) and I'm just plugging away.

The game is fun as hell - the world is so rich and well thought out. Everyone is doing their own thing, and the towns actually feel alive.

Anyway, that's my first impression, but so far I love it.

Eternia

The Tenebrium skill can be learned by solving the quest from the overseer in the town, which requires you to give him some Tenebrium ore. You can either do the Troll King quest, or just get it from the Sacred town in the north east. Solving the quest yields a +1 Tenebrium to ALL characters. In the sacred town is also a Tenebrium book (on a shelf in the workshop of the crazy alchemist), which upon reading, also gives +1 to that skill; only for the character reading it tho.
Tenebrium weapons are an own thing if you enchant a weapon with it, making any points invested into 1h/2h/bows/crossbows pointless. Since I have 2h +7, I don't bother with the enchant. It only does SLIGHTLY more damage than a normal element enchant anyway. If you want to enchant a weapon, just drag a Tenebrium bar onto a weapon to turn it into one.
Thanks, I did pass up on that quest. I'll do that next. The way the skill works does sound lame though. I guess I'll grab a few items just for these quests and wherever else they end up forcing it again.
Ah, great job. I'm actually stuck on this fight right now.
Tried making the middle room a choke point, but I kept messing it up and those demons were still able to toss fireballs right past my front-liners where my mage and archer were set up, making it doubly hard to keep my front-liners supported and healed and basically not being frozen/cursed/burned.

I ended up taking a break from that fight and started messing around with other quests. Hopefully I can find some decent fire resistance gear along the way.
I have a 3 melee party so I positioned my tank in the middle of the doorway and the other two right by the door. My wizard would stand in cover away from the doorway. I also summoned a skelly to eat up more space/attract attention although that might be a little tough to sneak in early since you're likely AP starved after the first turn. So I'd get 2-3 guys jumping in and usually attacking my melee (blocking out everyone else) which was more manageable. They would spend more of their movement running around than attacking me.

Sarcasm

Guess entire party needs to lvl..I hired a lvl 6 mage when rest of group was 5..now everybody lvled but the mage.

Vendors carrying same useless stuff and no gold reset either !

Ah well..gonan dump stuff I don't need on the ground lol

IJoel

Quick Q: Do you not get skill/attribute points every time you level up? I just leveled up and there were no points for me to allocate.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Guess entire party needs to lvl..I hired a lvl 6 mage when rest of group was 5..now everybody lvled but the mage.

Vendors carrying same useless stuff and no gold reset either !

Ah well..gonan dump stuff I don't need on the ground lol

You can just keep the items to barter for other items. You don't actually need gold that much in this game.

Area 1's final boss ended up killing two of his own pals off with his AOE attack and missing me. Great success!

I finally scoured the first map dry of enemies and quests...40 hours. God it's gonna take me another hour to manage my dang inventory and sell this stuff off before I can even continue. I have SO much stuff.

Taruranto

Finally done with
Iceland

Fuck lava. Fuck slippery floors. I hateeeeeed it (It didn't help that I totally did stuff out of order so I was 3 levels over the zone, totally trivialized most fights)

Finally done with
Iceland

Fuck lava. Fuck slippery floors. I hateeeeeed it (It didn't help that I totally did stuff out of order so I was 3 levels over the zone, totally trivialized most fights)

seriously, it is so bad. Plus it's storyline was bad too. I'm the same level as the content and it was still easy.

I still need to do like 2/3rds of the forest

Levyne

Banned
So I've been clearing out inventory after FINALLY finishing Hiberheim.

I have an Item called
"Cultist Spell"
but I'm not sure how to use it. I just my inventory and quest items get out of hand and lost track of what was what x_x

nbthedude

Probably some sort of key reseller, but I've never personally used them.

I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they will Steam gift (as in, manually gift you the game from an account they use on Steam) the game to you when you buy it from their website... which sounds incredibly dubious to me.
Nothing dubious about it. Game is different prices in different regions. Some people are from those refions and resell them. These aren't stolen copies or key generators or pirated. They are steam copies purchased from Steam in other regions.

stone128

Finally done with
Iceland

Immunity to Slipping - Any Shoe + Nine Inch Nails

I figured out this way to late too... :p

Ok, so
I got to the White Witch, she's frozen and I have no idea how to get her out of there. It's 5am here and it might have something to do with my reduced capacity to make sense out of a lot of stuff, but yea. After breaking so much ice on my way there I was expecting it would also break that easily.

Levyne

Banned
Ok, so
I got to the White Witch, she's frozen and I have no idea how to get her out of there. It's 5am here and it might have something to do with my reduced capacity to make sense out of a lot of stuff, but yea. After breaking so much ice on my way there I was expecting it would also break that easily.

Visit other areas first if you haven't. The white witch is one of the last things you do on that map.

More specific:

You have to go to the Forge (Northeast corner) and then get a spell to open the castle and fight the boss there. Then take the item from the boss back to the forge.

Eternia

So I've been clearing out inventory after FINALLY finishing Hiberheim.

I have an Item called
"Cultist Spell"
but I'm not sure how to use it. I just my inventory and quest items get out of hand and lost track of what was what x_x
Could be the item you needed to use to get into Hiberheim?
Ok, so
You need to beat King Boreas for his staff.

Antiwhippy

I can't figure out this
wishing well brothers sentinel puzzle.

Is it even a puzzle? Or something that I have to worry about?

Levyne

Banned
I can't figure out this
wishing well brothers sentinel puzzle.

Is it even a puzzle? Or something that I have to worry about?

You need an item from
King Boreas' Treasure Room

--

Well, finally can start the regular map (troll cave, mines) tomorrow! Now that I have a pretty regular rotation in battle, things are almost a little too easy, time to maybe bump to hard :p

Levyne

Banned
I seriously have no idea how to get to the
king
. This seriously pretty frustrating.

Go to the upper right area, you'll fight some enemies outside a door. Go in and you'll find the "forge". You'll see a scene with the conduit and fight some cronies. You'll get a spell to undo the castle barrier.

Actually, one last thing I want to do in Hiberheim..

There's a portal left of the Boreas boss fight room behind a lot of fire and lava. I've tried Fire Resistance shield but it doesn't last long enough. Hint?

Antiwhippy

Go to the upper right area, you'll fight some enemies outside a door. Go in and you'll find the "forge". You'll see a scene with the conduit and fight some cronies. You'll get a spell to undo the castle barrier.

Actually, one last thing I want to do in Hiberheim..

There's a portal left of the Boreas boss fight room behind a lot of fire and lava. I've tried Fire Resistance shield but it doesn't last long enough. Hint?

I did, and unless I missed it I did not get it. I've been there a few times now and can find nothing.

Kvik

I can confirm that the game works under Linux (via WINE 1.7 on Ubuntu 14.04), without extra tweaking. I had to turn down the graphics settings to medium to get a decent fps, but then again I have a Radeon GPU. :-\

I do hope they will make it SteamOS compatible down the line though.

jrcbandit

I took Glass Cannon on Jahan since he had 7 constitution, but I dunno if I want to use it on my Ranger or Fire/Earth wizard since their Con are at 5 without any gear bonuses. So what other talents are must gets at level 7+?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So far I've encountered two crashes and a UI lockup during a conversation.

This game is incredibly good though. Looking forward to many, many more hours put into it.

Levyne

Banned
Alright, definitely got a bug.

Reloaded and I got the spell required.

My 5 hours of playtime. ;_;

You sure one of your other characters didn't have it? Stinks to lose 5 hours ;_;

So far I've encountered two crashes and a UI lockup during a conversation.

This game is incredibly good though. Looking forward to many, many more hours put into it.

Luckily I haven't crashed at all. Knock on wood.

rybrad

48 hours in and almost done with the second major zone. Unless it falls off steeply at the end this will be my for sure game of the year. Easily the best game I have played in years and I have no experience or nostalgia from old cRPGs influencing me.

Tenrius

48 hours in and almost done with the second major zone. Unless it falls off steeply at the end this will be my for sure game of the year. Easily the best game I have played in years and I have no experience or nostalgia from old cRPGs influencing me.

You have a lot of catching up to do then!

erbazzone

Neo Member

I agree.
40h and just finished all Cyseal, not all-all but almost 90% of that is known to be solved and nothing has been sub-par.

The only things that maybe should be better are the inventory and the item icons with the gear esthetics. For now they are not at the same level as the rest of the game.

Sorry I just woke up...

goblin

Stack over 100% resist with items, potions or spells and it'll heal you.

Also,
contrary to what the loading screen tooltip might lead you to believe, you can absolutely get rid of lava.

How:
Try the Tornado spell from the Aeromancy book.

rybrad

You have a lot of catching up to do then!
I really wish I could get into the older, iconic cRPGs. I have all the ones that people always say to get but every time I try to play them the controls or UI end up being too much of a frustration/annoyance for me. Even in Original Sin some of the UI stuff annoys me like no hot key for cycling characters (toggle between them not the current prev/next buttons) or hot keys for swapping skill bars or toggle for alt instead of hold, but the majority of the UI and controls are excellent.

Paches

Mangoth
Boss Fight

Holy SHIT that was tough when you go in to the Leandra's blood room. I had to split my party back up and leave my tank to trip the dialogue while I pre-buffed Madora and prayed to resist all the knockbacks/stuns/blinds/slows while my main character (Cleric) soaked up Mangoth and a couple of the demons. What an insane fight! Took me probably 30 minutes on the killing attempt. Also took about 3-4 attempts on where to position my party best to get the right set ups and spacing. Brings me back to the Baldur's Gate 1/2 boss fights.

Antiwhippy

Man, having quest troubles again.

Can't find the scroll for the wishing well quest in boreas treasure room.

Tenrius

I really wish I could get into the older, iconic cRPGs. I have all the ones that people always say to get but every time I try to play them the controls or UI end up being too much of a frustration/annoyance for me. Even in Original Sin some of the UI stuff annoys me like no hot key for cycling characters (toggle between them not the current prev/next buttons) or hot keys for swapping skill bars or toggle for alt instead of hold, but the majority of the UI and controls are excellent.

Oddly enough, I think the UI is pretty bad in Original Sin, while I enjoyed it much more in most of the older CRPGs. You can actually select characters by pressing F1, F2, F3 and F4, by the way.

Moff

I so wanna play, but my co-op partner been busy today. Ugh... the drawbacks of playing co-op.

so you cant play alone at all? or will you just advance in the world and he will miss out on whatever you will do alone, including xp?
I wonder how many people can finish a 50-80 hour RPG in coop, I sure never would

Ferrio

Banned
so you cant play alone at all? or will you just advance in the world and he will miss out on whatever you will do alone, including xp?
I wonder how many people can finish a 50-80 hour RPG in coop, I sure never would

I doubt we'll finish, but I'd like to atleast finish the first map. If it comes to it I'll see if I can snag the save file we're using and continue on my own.

Thing is I think I'm having a lot more fun co-op than I'd in normal. Having two people try to figure out a quest etc is nice, and the dialogue trees you get between each other is fun.

Top Bottom