• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

koji

Same setup as me.
It's pretty bad. My cleric has become a wizard with an heal and heavy armor.
The rogue doesn't do much damage and it's very frail and dies way too easily. But it's tons of fun to pickpocket and lockpick. I think a ranger is way stronger.
And on top of that, the stupid random loot system hates me and I never get good loot.

Yeah I think I'll just start over, messed up some other stuff as well. It's always like this with a new RPG... :lol

I wanted the rogue for the lockpicking and buff his charisma and turn it in to some suave RP'ing mofo, but I'm spending way too many resurrect scrolls.

TheContact

This game gives off huge Ultima 7 vibes especially with solving the murder. I played this all day yesterday and I can't stop. It's so good

Herla

So I saw an ornate chest and, excited, I rushed to open it disregarding the lava trap near it...my party dies but I manage to notice the 4 legendary items that came out of the chest.

So I load my save, safely teleport the chest to me and ... it's 4 green items.

Why, Larian? Why!?!?!? ;_;

Shahadan

My Cleric has been a beast tank lately. I put some Witchcraft points on her and gave her vampiric touch and the armored super skeleton summon. Also Mass Weakness. I just put her in the middle of the enemies and laugh.

HoosTrax

Heh, I only have ONE steam friend who plays DOS.o_O

Is it possible to get 100% achievements in one run?
Not without saving and reloading before turning in certain quests. Also, there might be at least one broken achievement. I wrote the Steam achievement guide for this game that's in the community hub BTW.

FtHTiny

Not without saving and reloading before turning in certain quests. Also, there might be at least one broken achievement. I wrote the Steam achievement guide for this game that's in the community hub BTW.

Yeah i got two achievements not pop for me that should be part of the story. Seems to be broken.

ICKE

Banned
I was slightly overwhelmed by the first chapter as there were so many activities, quests and NPC's. It was great but also slightly confusing in the sense that understanding the world I was in required a lot of concentration.

I'm really happy to say that the game flows more smoothly now, I've spent countless hours after the first chapter and the game just keeps getting better. I suppose Larian wanted to introduce players to all these different activities first and it was a good call.

Might be my GOTY RPG at this rate and that's unbelievable considering Dark Souls 2 was released earlier, I seriously doubt Inquisition can hold a candle to this game.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Currently questing
in Hunter's Edge. Tried to help the prisoners escape but the enemies in the tunnel seem to be lvl 17-18 when my party is 15. Not having any trouble beating them but I guess I missed another questline again and my party is underleved. Heard about a Troll King questline that takes place after the Immaculates quest, so maybe I should do that? Where can I obtain it?

stone128

So I saw an ornate chest and, excited, I rushed to open it disregarding the lava trap near it...my party dies but I manage to notice the 4 legendary items that came out of the chest.

Omg... 4 legendaries??

Fuz

Banned

Happened almost the same to me. Killed a boss, got 2 good legendaries, game crashed, had to redo the fight and ta-da... a few greens.
It's really a bad system for this game.

Moff

Currently questing
in Hunter's Edge. Tried to help the prisoners escape but the enemies in the tunnel seem to be lvl 17-18 when my party is 15. Not having any trouble beating them but I guess I missed another questline again and my party is underleved. Heard about a Troll King questline that takes place after the Immaculates quest, so maybe I should do that? Where can I obtain it?

troll king is not an own questline and vey short, it can be part of the sidequest where you need to get tenebrium for a guy in town. but you can get tenebroum from many other places.
troll kings lair is only one big room and doesnt award a lot of xp, you can enter it with a spell you find in the wizards cave, wich is in a bush above frederick (near the spider queen)

I was 17 when I entered hunters edge, not sure what you have missed out in zone 2 but it must have been quite a lot. have you done hiberheim completely? the mines? the big blood stone? the immaculte quest till the end to get the blood?

Sub Zero

troll king is not an own questline and vey short, it can be part of the sidequest where you need to get tenebrium for a guy in town. but you can get tenebroum from many other places.
troll kings lair is only one big room and doesnt award a lot of xp, you can enter it with a spell you find in the wizards cave, wich is in a bush above frederick (near the spider queen)

I was 17 when I entered hunters edge, not sure what you have missed out in zone 2 but it must have been quite a lot. have you done hiberheim completely? the mines? the big blood stone? the immaculte quest till the end to get the blood?

Yes to all, except
the Big Blood Stone. Where can I get that?

Durante

We completed Black Cove yesterday - the (semi?) boss encounters were fun but a little on the easy side for our level 6 party (probably because we did a lot of other stuff first).

One question: is the
head
you have to find
for the ghost
in Black Cove? We combed the area and couldn't find it.

Sub Zero

We completed Black Cove yesterday - the (semi?) boss encounters were fun but a little on the easy side for our level 6 party (probably because we did a lot of other stuff first).

head
you have to find
for the ghost

Nope

Shahadan

head
you have to find
for the ghost

No it isn't, but you probably already have met it.

epmode

I'd feel a bit better about the randomization if reloading didn't result in a different reward. It's too easy to exploit the system.

Shahadan

I've joined a random game and met a guy lvl 2 who told me he hated reading what the characters have to say and he preferred skipping text and only reading the journal.

I said good luck with that.

Moff

Yes to all, except
the Big Blood Stone. Where can I get that?

the north of the area in the lava, but that shouldnt award you so much xp.

have you done many things in stealth, like the goblins before the mine? because killing them awards lot of xp, too.

Sub Zero

the north of the area in the lava, but that shouldnt award you so much xp.

have you done many things in stealth, like the goblins before the mine? because killing them awards lot of xp, too.

No, I haven't been avoiding any of the fights. Maybe
I have missed some stuff in the desert area as I only killed the queen and some spider encounters and moved on

I admire that there's absolutely no handholding in this game, but stuff like this can get really annoying

So I just got to
BACCUS? the first main boss I am guessing and when the fight starts he destroys my entire party killing 2 and maiming the other 2 with fire bombs. I am level 8s he is level 9....am i doing something wrong?

misho8723

Banned
This game has so far the best OST when it comes to games in 2014.. song Warmth of a Smile is just fantastic.. the main theme is also fucking great.. Dance of Death is brilliant as is Memories of the Future.. this OST goes right next to the OST's from Witcher games as my favorite soundtracks when it comes to video-games

Did the other games from Divinity series had too so good OST's ? (i know only about Dragon Commander)

So I just got to
BACCUS? the first main boss I am guessing and when the fight starts he destroys my entire party killing 2 and maiming the other 2 with fire bombs. I am level 8s he is level 9....am i doing something wrong?

Go somewhere else, come back when you are at least level 9, makes the fight easier!

best way to unlock doors? breaking them via dmg is terribly slow...

Find the key, most of the time they are around,. And if you have to break them down, use magic so your weps don't get damaged.

Sentenza

best way to unlock doors? breaking them via dmg is terribly slow...
Finding the proper key. There is almost always one somewhere. You are not supposed to go through the "terribly slow" process to break them every single time.

That, or lockpicking them if the skill is high enough and if it's possible at all.

Sub Zero

So I just got to

My advice would be to tackle this specific fight when you're level 9-10 as
you're not only fighting Braccus but 4 bosses together.

First of all you should use Jahan's rain spell before the fight starts, this will weaken Braccus and the other Twin fire elemental boss. One tactic people seem to use is to run off after the fight starts and stay covered behind the walls in the previous room, this will probably result in enemies coming to you one by one and the fight will be much more manageable. Also make sure that every party members has a lot of healing potion in his/her inventory

Sentenza

So I just got to
I don't think you are doing something "wrong", as much as not doing enough "right".
It's a very challenging fight unless you are overleveled. So try to prepare yourself properly, not just grinding levels but maybe finding some new ability that could be particularly useful and so on.

Personally it took me few attempts and the one that worked better was throwing a fire elemental immediately at the poisonous thing and then picking the others individually as quick as I could.

Zakalwe

Banned
This game has so far the best OST when it comes to games in 2014.. song Warmth of a Smile is just fantastic.. the main theme is also fucking great.. Dance of Death is brilliant as is Memories of the Future.. this OST goes right next to the OST's from Witcher games as my favorite soundtracks when it comes to video-games

Did the other games from Divinity series had too so good OST's ? (i know only about Dragon Commander)

I don't know the names of all the tracks, but there are a few I am absolutley in love with. Is there anyway to buy this separately digitally?

And some of the tracks were reused from a previous game (Divinity 2?) because the composer fell ill during production.

Pollux

I just began the third zone and thank the goddess, it has better start than the second zone and ennemies finally are above my lvl
16+
I was getting bored in the second zone.

Edit : have you finished the quest of the west area before going east or north ?
I'm asking you this because the mobs will be higher lvl in those zones.
What quest of the west area?

I don't think you are doing something "wrong", as much as not doing enough "right".
It's a very challenging fight unless you are overleveled. So try to prepare yourself properly, not just grinding levels but maybe finding some new ability that could be particularly useful and so on.

Personally it took me few attempts and the one that worked better was throwing a fire elemental immediately at the poisonous thing and then picking the others individually as quick as I could.

In addition to this, if you can summon fire elemental it will serve very well as a cannon fodder against the fire boss. Be sure to place your summon closest to the dude though.

My advice would be to tackle this specific fight when you're level 9-10 as
you're not only fighting Braccus but 4 bosses together.

First of all you should use Jahan's rain spell before the fight starts, this will weaken Braccus and the other Twin fire elemental boss. One tactic people seem to use is to run off after the fight starts and stay covered behind the walls in the previous room, this will probably result in enemies coming to you one by one and the fight will be much more manageable. Also make sure that every party members has a lot of healing potion in his/her inventory

Thanks for the tips, I went to bed after 1 attempt of getting destroyed so I didn't look too deep into it. Will try again tonight.

Sentenza

Also, there is one thing that can be quite useful for every single boss fight, but you should decide for yourself if you want to exploit it as it may feel a bit "cheaty":

When you are doing the typical dialogue before a boss fight you can wait before pressing the (end) dialogue option and take your time to place your other characters manually on that area.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Also, there is one thing that can be quite useful for every single boss fight, but you should decide for yourself if you want to exploit it as it may feel a bit "cheaty":

When you are doing the typical dialogue before a boss fight you can wait before pressing the (end) dialogue option and take your time to place your other characters manually on that area.

That is not "cheaty", but film'ic for certain.

Moff

No, I haven't been avoiding any of the fights. Maybe
I have missed some stuff in the desert area as I only killed the queen and some spider encounters and moved on

I admire that there's absolutely no handholding in this game, but stuff like this can get really annoying
its a bit odd, yes. there are next to no enemies in the desert, apart from maybe 3 or 4 groups of spiders. 2 levels too low is definitely an issue (and pretty hard), best would probably be at what point you fell behind the levels of the enemies. I dont remember anyting big I did except the ones I already mentioned.

Chaos17

What quest of the west area?

The lighthouse quest for example, the captain of the Legion give it to you.
The lighthouse is at the wes of the city.

Anyway, if you feel lost, I found a guide that talk only about the first map :
http://guides.gamepressure.com/divinityoriginalsin/

I advice you to found mobs of your levels because that's usually how the story will follow.
I made the mistake to not care about it in the second zone and man the storyline was so messed up... unlocking things for dunjeons that I already did left a bad taste in my mouth, for example.

Zakalwe

Banned

That's not cheaty, the boss should attack straight away if he doesn't want the party members he's not engaged in conversation with to spread out and position better.

All part of the sandbox potential!

What IS cheesing is building container cage around enemies 3 levels too high for you and taking them out while they're trapped. Not that I'd do anything like that, of course...

*whistles"

Interfectum

Grats GAF, like Wolfenstein I have been sold on another game I was totally going to ignore. Will purchase after I clear out some Steam sale games.

Zakalwe

Banned
Grats GAF, like Wolfenstein I have been sold on another game I was totally going to ignore. Will purchase after I clear out some Steam sale games.

Wolfenstein surprised the heck out of me too. The narrative in particular is incredibly strong for the genre, the characters are interesting, and some of the level designs are exceptional. It's a really good game.

A tip for you: try to buy D:OS when you have some free time spare you can dedicate, there's a very good chance this game is going to suck you in and consume dozens of hours. Sitting at work during a quiet period and all I can think about is logging back on. That hasn't happened to me for quite a while...

OmegaDL50

I don't know the names of all the tracks, but there are a few I am absolutley in love with. Is there anyway to buy this separately digitally?

And some of the tracks were reused from a previous game (Divinity 2?) because the composer fell ill during production.

He reused tracks from both Divine Divinity and Divinity 2

Mainly the stuff from the Musica Divinia and Musica Obscura from the Divinity Anthology pack

You can get all of the tracks from Kirill Pokrovsky's official website except for the 22 or so new tracks in Original Sin.

http://kirillpokrovsky.mirror.ga/

Eventually, once the sales for the OST die down, I'm sure whoever maintains Mr. Pokrovsky's website will one point upload the tracks from Original Sin.

Zukuu

Banned
Why the focus on blacksmith, by the way?
Because it's broken. You can RE-SMELT your weapon and just use the bar again. Every time you level up, the weapon you craft also becomes better (it requires more strength as well, so e on your toes with upping strength, preferable with
the attribute books, once you have access to them
). You can also sharpen the weapon for another damage boost (up to max level crafted weapons, since they do already the most damage).
If you find a bit of +blacksmith gear, you can have a steady new weapon, that deals up to twice more damage than even legendary weapons you can find around that level.

Respect

Braccus down! Spreading the party out and retreating to the previous room made the fight easy mode. Finally got some nice caster loot as well. Went to the legion commander and got the rep/xp for killing him. He says go to Arhu and let him know, but Arhu doesn't appear to have any dialogue in regard to Braccus, I can only ask him about who is he and that doesn't seem to initiate any new dialogue. Is there something else I need to do first?

Top Bottom