• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Braccus down! Spreading the party out and retreating to the previous room made the fight easy mode. Finally got some nice caster loot as well. Went to the legion commander and got the rep/xp for killing him. He says go to Arhu and let him know, but Arhu doesn't appear to have any dialogue in regard to Braccus, I can only ask him about who is he and that doesn't seem to initiate any new dialogue. Is there something else I need to do first?

I have the same question, Aureus told me to inform him and yet he has no dialogue :/

Zukuu

Banned
is there anyway to change the battle order of your characters?
It depends on their "initiative" stat, which is directly connected to speed, +initiative from gear and +initiative for Leadership buff (which everyone should have at least on level 1 for mages, and level 2 for melees). You can delay your turn, tho. Just press the button on the very right of the screen.

Zakalwe

Banned
He reused tracks from both Divine Divinity and Divinity 2

Mainly the stuff from the Musica Divinia and Musica Obscura from the Divinity Anthology pack

You can get all of the tracks from Kirill Pokrovsky's official website except for the 22 or so new tracks in Original Sin.

http://kirillpokrovsky.mirror.ga/

Eventually, once the sales for the OST die down, I'm sure whoever maintains Mr. Pokrovsky's website will one point upload the tracks from Original Sin.

Yeh I saw that, thanks! I really want the OS tracks though. For now there are a few on youtube I can playlist.

Wish I'd backed this game...

Braccus down! Spreading the party out and retreating to the previous room made the fight easy mode. Finally got some nice caster loot as well. Went to the legion commander and got the rep/xp for killing him. He says go to Arhu and let him know, but Arhu doesn't appear to have any dialogue in regard to Braccus, I can only ask him about who is he and that doesn't seem to initiate any new dialogue. Is there something else I need to do first?

You need to choose the option to discuss source business I think, or something like that. It's sitting behind another dialogue option and isn't immediately apparent.

ys45

We made it to the
Mine
yesterday those damn
Death Knights
are a pain I can already tell this will be the worse part of the game having to do all that
avoiding and forced stealth

Any tips for this area ?

Shahadan

We made it to the
Mine
yesterday those damn
Death Knights
are a pain I can already tell this will be the worse part of the game having to do all that

Any tips for this area ?

It's quite fun imo. Btw you don't have to avoid that many (2 or 3 iirc) for the main objective.
That said there are a nice number of loot to be had if you explore the rest. Also if you have any invisibility spell/Scroll, now is the time. One character is enough until you reach the second waypoint of the mines.

Also maybe you didn't notice but you can destroy the cave-ins.

You need to choose the option to discuss source business I think, or something like that. It's sitting behind another dialogue option and isn't immediately apparent.
No. All the options doesn't work. The source business only makes him saying the same thing over again like he knew about the mad king Braccus and all but no mention about him being beaten.

Leezard

We made it to the
Mine
yesterday those damn
Death Knights

Any tips for this area ?

Just use invisibility or your best character to stealth, and let the others follow with the teleport pyramids.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Because it's broken. You can RE-SMELT your weapon and just use the bar again.
the problem with this thread is that anything that is useful and fun is considered broken. you can't get items that outpower same level legendaries without investing at least 2-3 levels into BS (along with bonuses). That's not trivial as you are taking those points away from other abilities that have likewise benefits.

The only thing I may consider broken in the game is Leech. There doesn't seem to be any downside. For 1 skill point you can essentially ignore healing on any melee that has it. It also in the mid-game makes them invulnerable+ (they heal) on slash and puncture attacks (I'm getting hit for 40 and absorbing 60)

ys45

It's quite fun imo. Btw you don't have to avoid that many (2 or 3 iirc) for the main objective.
That said there are a nice number of loot to be had if you explore the rest. Also if you have any invisibility spell/Scroll, now is the time. One character is enough until you reach the second waypoint of the mines.

Also maybe you didn't notice but you can destroy the cave-ins.

Just use invisibility or your best character to stealth, and let the others follow with the teleport pyramids.

Oh did not notice about the cave-ins
Alright thanks guys I'm gonna try this tonight

Zakalwe

Banned
No. All the options doesn't work. The source business only makes him saying the same thing over again like he knew about the mad king Braccus and all but no mention about him being beaten.

Unsure then, sorry. I'm sure I went straight to him and don't remember being stumped... maybe someone who's at that point could help you out. :3

Shahadan

Is Frederick
supposed to die alone while I was retrieving the bloodstone?
:s
I assume the answer is yes but I don't know.

Edit: I used the bloodstone just now and I still have his quest in the journal.

Pollux

The lighthouse quest for example, the captain of the Legion give it to you.
The lighthouse is at the wes of the city.

Anyway, if you feel lost, I found a guide that talk only about the first map :
http://guides.gamepressure.com/divinityoriginalsin/

I advice you to found mobs of your levels because that's usually how the story will follow.
I made the mistake to not care about it in the second zone and man the storyline was so messed up... unlocking things for dunjeons that I already did left a bad taste in my mouth, for example.

Thanks for the guide. That map and their basic tips help a lot.

Going to get back to this game later tonight. I hate this game so god damn much - but at the same time I love it even more.

Tanolen

the problem with this thread is that anything that is useful and fun is considered broken. you can't get items that outpower same level legendaries without investing at least 2-3 levels into BS (along with bonuses). That's not trivial as you are taking those points away from other abilities that have likewise benefits.

The only thing I may consider broken in the game is Leech. There doesn't seem to be any downside. For 1 skill point you can essentially ignore healing on any melee that has it. It also in the mid-game makes them invulnerable+ (they heal) on slash and puncture attacks (I'm getting hit for 40 and absorbing 60)

Leech combined with comeback kid is pretty good. If you die your character survives with one hp and then leech heals you some; you get killed again but comeback kid saves you with 1 hp then leech heals you again, its a pretty good cycle.

I'm pretty bitter that after respecing my warrior that whirlwind and dust devil skills dont show up on vendors. I leveled up then save scummed at vendors and they never had those books. After some googling it looks like im not alone in the issue.

HoosTrax

The vendor inventory system is a bit troublesome and I hope the developers modify it at some point. In particular, there are several spells, like the Man-At-Arms skill that lowers enemy resistances, that are almost make or break on some of the bosses, and not being able to obtain them due to bad RNG luck is an issue.

Also, once you get close to endgame, you finally get the option of respeccing all of your character points, but this has the side effect of removing all of your learned spells, which can be a huge problem if you've cleaned out all of the skillbooks from vendors already.

Zakalwe

Banned
The vendor inventory system is a bit troublesome and I hope the developers modify it at some point. In particular, there are several spells, like the Man-At-Arms skill that lowers enemy resistances, that are almost make or break on some of the bosses, and not being able to obtaining them due to bad RNG luck is an issue.

Also, once you get close to endgame, you finally get the option of respeccing all of your character points, but this has the side effect of removing all of your learned spells, which can be a huge problem if you've cleaned out all of the skillbooks from vendors already.

Vendors do restock.

Also, have you checked the
elementals in the homestead
? The
fire guy
sells Man At Arms skills too.

HoosTrax

Vendors do restock.

Also, have you checked the
? The
fire guy
sells Man At Arms skills too.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the vendors restock their inventory when you level up. So if you're at endgame and level 20, and remove all of your skills through respeccing, then you're potentially in a bind if the shop vendors don't have what you need.

Hey guys. I wanted to let you know our extremely thorough (3.5K words) review for Divinity: Original Sin is published:

http://nichegamer.net/reviews/divinity-original-sin-review-it-will-steal-your-soul-and-spare-time/

Carl absolutely loved it
and gave it a 9.5/10
, being a veteran of the genre he had a lot to say about the game. I implore you guys to check it out and please let us know what you think :) OP, could you add it to the review list as well?

It's a shame more websites aren't reviewing the title, as it's excellent, albeit crazily deep and challenging (which is probably part of the reason).

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the vendors restock their inventory when you level up. So if you're at endgame and level 20, and remove all of your skills through respeccing, then you're potentially in a bind if the shop vendors don't have what you need.

Yeh, there should be an npc with all unlocked skills that you can pay to relearn if you need to, or something. Tying character progression to rng is never a good idea.

erragal

Vendors restock when you level up. All of them.

Random skills is part of the game world. There are no 'make or break' skills. There is always another way to solve an encounter. Don't get locked into one solution.

Last night we got ambushed in Hinderheim and my character was completrly blocked off by a neutral stag. I didn't want to murder him so I feather fall's him away from the fight. My friend was convinced I was the only one that's done that...but just the fact I had that choice presented to me was a completely spontaneous moment in the game.

I chose to be true to my animal loving ways and used the mechanics of thr game to roleplay that. This game is so wonderful.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also, I find that it's generally true that the vendors
you unlock in the end of time
will have the higher level skills available.

Zakalwe

Banned
Random skills is part of the game world. There are no 'make or break' skills. There is always another way to solve an encounter. Don't get locked into one solution.

It's not about that, it's about RNG prevent access especially if people don't want to reload saves.

I don't know if this is a huge concern as I've not noticed it yet, I always seem to be able to find the skills I need. Especially with the addition of the

erragal

Yeh, there should be an npc with all unlocked skills that you can pay to relearn if you need to, or something. Tying character progression to rng is never a good idea.

This mindset is completely opposite of the way the game is constructed. If every spell were available at all times they would just have fixed spell lists available for selection in a menu.

Some spells only exist as quest/fixed rewards. Some spells are rare from vendors but also drop in the world. Skills/spell manuals feel valuable and significant because they're random. You may not immediately have them avaiable.

The other solution is to do some long term planning. If you see a skillbook that looks valuable in a shop...maybe you should just buy it! They're expensive for a reason as well.

Don't blame on 'bad' mechanics what is a conscious decision of game design to add entropy to the game. It makes the world feel more immersive and less fixed. Just like the randomized loot...every experience is unique to each journey.

This conversation took place on the beta forums too and they still did not change it. It's intentional...and well thought out. Just try changing your mindset about needing a 'perfect' character.

erragal

It's not about that, it's about RNG prevent access especially if people don't want to reload saves.

Access isn't supposed to be guarenteed.

Reloading saves doesn't reset the vendor. Quick loading does but is a bug. They're only supposed to reset on leveling up; any other reset is an exploit.

Access not being guarenteed isn't a bad design decision just because you're not used to it. You have to consider the -millions- of tactical options you have in this game. To feel deprived by a single skill is...not thinking very deeply about your tactical options.

Zakalwe

Banned
This mindset is completely opposite of the way the game is constructed. If every spell were available at all times they would just have fixed spell lists available for selection in a menu.

Some spells only exist as quest/fixed rewards. Some spells are rare from vendors but also drop in the world. Skills/spell manuals feel valuable and significant because they're random. You may not immediately have them avaiable.

The other solution is to do some long term planning. If you see a skillbook that looks valuable in a shop...maybe you should just buy it! They're expensive for a reason as well.

Don't blame on 'bad' mechanics what is a conscious decision of game design to add entropy to the game. It makes the world feel more immersive and less fixed. Just like the randomized loot...every experience is unique to each journey.

This conversation took place on the beta forums too and they still did not change it. It's intentional...and well thought out. Just try changing your mindset about needing a 'perfect' character.

I didn't say "available at all times", I said "once unlocked".

I also don't have an issue with it as my characters are planned well, but others might.

Access isn't supposed to be guarenteed.

Reloading saves doesn't reset the vendor. Quick loading does but is a bug. They're only supposed to reset on leveling up; any other reset is an exploit.

Access not being guarenteed isn't a bad design decision just because you're not used to it. You have to consider the -millions- of tactical options you have in this game. To feel deprived by a single skill is...not thinking very deeply about your tactical options.

Quick save/loading before a level up.

I am used to it fine and I do appreciate how it adds to the emergent world, but I just don't like rng preventing options with chracter progression.

borghe

with spells it's not too bad.. because spell scrolls drop so frequently (for me at least) that if a vendor doesn't have one I want/need chances are I already have the scroll or will likely get it. OR I can just pray to the RNG gods and write some scrolls myself.

but yeah, expert marksman, man at arms, and scoundrel are all just kind of screwed. the vendor situation wouldn't be that bad IF they gave you an alternate means to get/create those books beyond RNG vendor and loot drops ONLY.

edit - even odder is that I thought you can get a witchcraft blank scroll from crafting... or am I wrong on that? I am almost positive I've seen blank witchcraft scrolls.

sunlapse

Neo Member
So, think I'm about to finally start this up after picking it up on the Steam sale. Any tips as far as character creation/basic gameplay concepts go? Haven't played too many cRPGs of this variety prior to this.

NIN90

Question about the boss K
ing
B
oreas
:

Is this fight supposed to be this long or is there some trick to it? I noticed the four shrines corresponding to the elements, each granting a buff.

erragal

I didn't say "available at all times", I said "once unlocked".

I also don't have an issue with it as my characters are planned well, but others might.

Why would that matter? The button is 'forget' not 'save for later'.

People having an issue with it is the point. It forces obsessive planners into thinking of different ways to tackle the encounters in the game. If anything they should be even more rare; fortunately many spells are very rare as books in the shop.

Durante

I haven't reached the end-game (or even the later mid-game really) yet, but the idea that there would be a single make-or-break skill in this game seems off to me. There are just so many viable tactical options in battle, it would have to change completely for something like that to be possible.

erragal

Yes, which has nothng to do with an npc being able to teach you again for a cost.

Which eliminates the penalty for choosing to forget...which is the possibility you may not have access to the book.

You want a consequence for a decision removed because you dont care for the consequence. Instead the game expects you to deal with it...because you chose to forget that spell.

Designing to eliminate consequences is a terrible road to travel down.

borghe

Yes, which has nothng to do with an npc being able to teach you again for a cost.

I think the problem people are having is the suggestion in swinging the needle from "hardcore" to "modern menu based shop"

As I said, I think the only problem with those per se is that with spells you have 4 ways to obtain a book (merchant, book drop, scroll drop, scroll craft). With skills you only have 2 ways (merchant, book drop). They should really probably add at least one additional way to get a skill book for non-casters.

edit - one thing I will say amidst all of this. DO NOT EVER FRIGGIN SELL SKILL BOOKS!!! Seriously, even if you are POSITIVE you will never need it.. don't friggin sell it. Spell book? Fine, you always have a chance at getting a book or scroll later. But skill books? I mean are you even reading this thread!?!?

Santiako

Question about the boss K
ing
B
oreas
:

Is this fight supposed to be this long or is there some trick to it? I noticed the four shrines corresponding to the elements, each granting a buff.

I completely wrecked him, the fight was over in 5 minutes or so. As always, oath of desecration and wildfire on the 2h guy and then going to town on him.

Zakalwe

Banned
Which eliminates the penalty for choosing to forget...which is the possibility you may not have access to the book.

You want a consequence for a decision removed because you dont care for the consequence. Instead the game expects you to deal with it...because you chose to forget that spell.

Designing to eliminate consequences is a terrible road to travel down.

The could be ways to add consequence that don't require rng. Maybe give up an attribute point, another skill, maybe 2 skills, maybe something more wieghty...

I'm just not a fan of character progression tied to rng, I'm sure there's a better way to design it so it so decision has weight.

I think the problem people are having is the suggestion in swinging the needle from "hardcore" to "modern menu based shop"

As above. :p

Your options in this game are limited only by your mind, not which spell books dropped for you.

It's not got anything to do with not being able to make do with what you have.

erragal

As I said, I think the only problem with those per se is that with spells you have 4 ways to obtain a book (merchant, book drop, scroll drop, scroll craft). With skills you only have 2 ways (merchant, book drop). They should really probably add at least one additional way to get a skill book for non-casters.

I'd almost buy that if non casters didn't have high basic attack damage as part of their characters. Also support marksman scrolls actuslly do exist (Doctor/first aid).

But the ultimate point is none of those characters are ineffective without any specific skill. There's also nothing stopping them from using the caster class scrolls to bolster their options. Or special arrows.

Your options in this game are limited only by your mind, not which spell books dropped for you.

Top Bottom