• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Really pleasantly surprised how the graphics and lighting have come along since the first EA release went up. Wasn't expecting much but it really looks incredible now, and the tilt-shift depth of field effect is pretty neat.

Sendou

The DLC items are from the Kickstarter.

Oh I realize the origins but I'm just wondering how much I should put money in to get the best bang for buck without missing anything crucial. Just the main game seems that point for me currently.

Ranger is an own thing:

The talents are broke down into:
-Expert Marksmen (Ranger) <> Dex
-Scoundrel (Rogue) <> Dex
-Man-at-Arms (Melee) <> Str
-Witchcraft, Air, Water, Fire, Earth (Mage) <> Int

You need the appropriate talent and the appropriate stats to equip and/or use a particular talent. Anything above that requirement yields a small %-increase (I think 5% per point, but I'm not sure).

edit: if you speak about the preset class "Ranger", it's a pure archer. Wayfarer is a Ranger / Mage hybrid. You can customize your character in every aspect no matter the starting class. All that determines is the starting equipment. I choose Knight as pre-set for the heavy armor and 2h weapon, but customize him to have almost nothing in common with the preset.

Got it, thanks. Seeing as to how many spell schools there are going with 2 mages might be worth pursuing. Are archer skills pretty powerful compared to melee and magic?

ZoddGutts

Really pleasantly surprised how the graphics and lighting have come along since the first EA release went up. Wasn't expecting much but it really looks incredible now, and the tilt-shift depth of field effect is pretty neat.

They used every cent of their Kickstarter money to make the game even better. I can only imagine what they could do more if they had the budget of Wasteland 2 or even Shadowrun Returns KS money. Hopefully D:OS gives people more reason to give Larian even more money if they do another Kickstarter for their next game.

The same way it slipped past all the other people's radar who are expressing similar sentiments. Media failure.

Or more specifically, the facts that
  • It doesn't have a huge publisher
  • It doesn't have a large marketing budget
  • It's not the kind of title to go viral on youtube
  • It's also not an "indie darling of the week" kind of game
  • The developers are European
I still wonder how the first The Witcher went as huge as it was.

More to the topic: could anybody confirm whether we'd be able to add customized portraits to the game, Baldur's Gate-like? The disrepancies between my created character and the available portrait is going to bug me greatly.

Zukuu

Banned
I still wonder how the first The Witcher went as huge as it was.

More to the topic: could anybody confirm whether we'd be able to add customized portraits to the game, Baldur's Gate-like? The disrepancies between my created character and the available portrait is going to bug me greatly.

The first witcher got trashed. Only after a HUGE patch that revamped the game it became a decent game. I don't think it got picked up much by mainstream gaming media as well.

I aborted Witcher after some point. Played it again and enjoyed it with 'The Enhanced Edition' as the patch was called. It made it a good game.

At Game Developers Conference 2008, CD Projekt RED announced an enhanced version of the game which was released on September 16, 2008. The significant changes featured in the enhanced version are over 200 new animations, additional NPC models and recoloring of generic NPC models as well as monsters, vastly expanded and corrected dialogues in translated versions, improved stability, redesigned inventory system and load times reduced by roughly 80%

Arulan

GAF has lost its mind. I'm OK with it.

If this is insanity then there is a lot more of it left to come. ;)

Just heard for the first time about this, looks pretty good (beside the UI). I thought some people from this thread could be interested in a game like this :)

So back to Divinity, only 19hours till Editor. Second half of 2014 will be amazing :D. Divinity, Risen3(not much hype for it on gaf sadly :p), Dragon Age, PoE (still planned for 2014 ^^) and maybe Wasteland2 (not sure if i like it)

Yeah it looks solid. I'm just glad we're seeing a lot more RPG announcements like this one. As for the UI that is rarely properly conceived at the start of development. It is no surprise Pillars of Eternity has attempted to hide their current UI from the media given it may just be placeholders for now. I'm still skeptical about a 2014 release, but we'll see.

Darkest Dungeon also looks promising, although that might appeal to a more dungeon-crawler RPG audience.

lokeloski

I've never really seen the appeal of hybrids in a party based game. You got enough characters to specialize in everything, why gimp yourself?

For me, I like my characters to do many things. Why should just one character smacks enemies on the face? Why should another one only be able to attack from distance?
I understand the value of specialization, but I like a little diversity also to make things more interesting and less repetitive.

That's probably why I always played as bard on tabletop rpgs.

Just caught up on the last few pages of the thread and I'm still hyped for this game. I only wish that I had larger screen to enjoy it on. 11-inches isn't great for these isometric games.

I'm assuming you're on a laptop? Can you video out to another screen?

Yup, laptop. And I can definitely do video out. But I don't even have PC monitor.

I'm tempted to just purchase a new gaming laptop, for $1,000 or less, to replace my three year old M11xR3. Or just spend $150 on a monitor.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, laptop. And I can definitely do video out. But I don't even have PC monitor.

I'm tempted to just purchase a new gaming laptop, for $1,000 or less, to replace my three year old M11xR3. Or just spend $150 on a monitor.

For reference, with max settings at 1080p, a GTX 760 will achieve ~50-60fps. Mobile cards are almost always a step down from their naming convention desktop counterpart.

Isometric games don't lend themselves to gifs. They can't be too small or it's difficult to see what's going on. Consequently, that means gifs become too large for the OT. :/ maybe I should just use WebM.

For reference, with max settings at 1080p, a GTX 760 will achieve ~50-60fps. Mobile cards are almost always a step down from their naming convention desktop counterpart.

I know, that's another dilemma. Spend $1,000 on a decent desktop setup that will last waaaay longer than a laptop. Or buy another laptop for the sake convenience.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I know, that's another dilemma. Spend $1,000 on a decent desktop setup that will last waaaay longer than a laptop. Or buy another laptop for the sake convenience.

I would buy a gaming desktop and a separate lightweight laptop for nongaming tasks. The gaming laptops are never a good compromise, being neither a good gaming PC nor a good laptop; yet costing more than either.

Yusaku

The only one:
https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/479683076407431169
But I'd still wait, that way you aren't tempted to try the game and lose all your progress with the next update ;)

"This will be the only daily deal until release on June 30th!" June 30th is the last day of the summer sale, and the last day of Steam sales tend to just be repeats of games that were already on sale. So I think it's likely Divinity will be listed on last day of the sale and that tweet will still be correct.

Zukuu

Banned

A monitor would be a decent step up for a reasonable price. Other than that, yeah I'd go for a gaming rig and keep your laptop for your mobile needs, if you have the funds.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Been waiting for this game since the day it was announced on Kickstarter, that's how hyped I am. I haven't even PLAYED the dam game. Waiting for full release on the 30th to jump in with my friend.

However, I wanted to test the performance. I have some concerns if anyone can help.

My machine is a Windows 8.1 PC w/ GTX 480 + i5-3570k. The game seems to really put my graphics card to work for some reason. The fan's kick up like crazy. Not sure if it's because it's the summer and it's hot inside or what but this game shouldn't really put my machine through that much work should it?

All the talk of keys in this thread made me look around and I saw that this was only 3 keys, so I went for it.

L132mIG.png

With this I now have all the Divinity games :p

Such a great game.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Been waiting for this game since the day it was announced on Kickstarter, that's how hyped I am. I haven't even PLAYED the dam game. Waiting for full release on the 30th to jump in with my friend.

However, I wanted to test the performance. I have some concerns if anyone can help.

My machine is a Windows 8.1 PC w/ GTX 480 + i5-3570k. The game seems to really put my graphics card to work for some reason. The fan's kick up like crazy. Not sure if it's because it's the summer and it's hot inside or what but this game shouldn't really put my machine through that much work should it?

Well, no one here has the final build (or at least can comment on it) so performance may increase. But:

For reference, with max settings at 1080p, a GTX 760 will achieve ~50-60fps.

A GTX 760 is ~30% better (650ti Boost is similar to a 480) and more efficient than a 480.

This game is amazing! I was shocked at how you can go completely heartless and defeat every innocent in your path. And the game just keeps going! Feels very sandbox, is a good way. Is the first city the only city in the game?

I would buy a gaming desktop and a separate lightweight laptop for nongaming tasks. The two devices are never a good compromise, being neither a good gaming PC nor a good laptop; yet costing more than either.

A monitor would be a decent step up for a reasonable price. Other than that, yeah I'd go for a gaming rig and keep your laptop for your mobile needs, if you have the funds.

Ended up ordering a 22" monitor that will just barely fit into the computer cabinet that my wife bought last year. I'd really love to get a gaming desktop, eying the Alienware x51, but I'm not quite ready to spend another $900.

Can it be Monday already?

Arulan

Ended up ordering a 22" monitor that will just barely fit into the computer cabinet that my wife bought last year. I'd really love to get a gaming desktop, eying the Alienware x51, but I'm not quite ready to spend another $900.

It's great to see someone so excited to play this game that they've just ordered a monitor to play it on. :)

If you do end up getting a desktop build your own, it's worth it. If you need any help there is this great GAF thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835397.

OmegaDL50

To be honest most pre-builds are more often then not overpriced. Especially Alienware units because of the name they carry.

If you are willing to build your own PC (And it's not very difficult, just time consuming and requires patience) You can easily be had a fairly high end PC under $800, which is what I paid to build mine.

Now mind you I am very frugal with deals, so I try to maximize savings when I buy PC components, which is why I got the PC I have for the price I paid.

(i5 3570k, MSI Twin Frozr HD7950 3GB GDDR5, G.skill Sniper 8GB 1866 DDR3) https://pcpartpicker.com/b/T8TH99

Also for some people there is confusion in that they think by building custom they don't have a warranty compared to buying pre-build like Dell (who owns Alienware). Now the problem with pre-builds in my experience if something goes wrong with the PC, Dell requests the entire PC to be shipped back to them just for them to diagnose the issue which can take weeks.

Whereas a custom built each individual part is covered, so if something goes wrong, you aren't required to send the entire PC to the distributor but rather the part(s) that are defective to be RMA'd and replaced instead.

Durante

Isometric games don't lend themselves to gifs. They can't be too small or it's difficult to see what's going on. Consequently, that means gifs become too large for the OT. :/ maybe I should just use WebM.
Yeah, I noticed something similar when selecting an image for the small banner in the Steam thread. You really need to see more of an isometric game.

The combat gif you have in the OP is pretty neat though.

For anyone who has played some of the alpha, how keyboard intensive is the game? Is it a good game to play mouse only or does it require a lot of hotkeys?

Does this game appear to have a good story, or is the story more of an afterthought. When I saw the Kickstarter I was hoping for some very engrossing story like in Planescape and Baldurs Gate!

Adnor

Banned
For anyone who has played some of the alpha, how keyboard intensive is the game? Is it a good game to play mouse only or does it require a lot of hotkeys?

While playing with keyboard is recommended, I think every action is on the UI too, while slower it should be fine.

pahamrick

I've briefly searched, but couldn't find anyone else talking about the issue. So either I'm just not searching with the right keywords, or I'm completely overlooking it.

My buddy and I are having a couple issues with coop, They're not a huge problems that a restart doesn't usually fix but it tends to throw off the flow of the game. He's the host, and I joined his game during character creation so I could create my own character. Now, he's got lone wolf for his wizard, so he doesn't run with a companion whereas I do.

The problems we keep running into are, first that the game randomly takes control of the character I was using and gives it back to him, then I get stuck only being able to control the companion I was using. It seems to only happen when entering combat, too.

Every time that happens, if I try and just quit out to the main menu then load back into his game I basically load up a blank UI and a black screen. It requires both of us exiting to the main menu, him loading back in and then me following to fix it.

The second problem is similar, except it randomly gives him my companion so he loses his lone wolf. Both problems require us having to dismiss the companion, then go and re-acquire them so they're following me and not him. Has anyone else had something like this happen, and if so do you know a way to avoid it?

Like I said, not really a big deal and I'm sure (hoping) it's been fixed in the retail build however its a wee bit annoying to have it happen every so often.

Ryan_

I'm so proud that the only real developper in our little country is capable of such a feat. Truely proud of Larian Studios.

ZoddGutts

I've briefly searched, but couldn't find anyone else talking about the issue. So either I'm just not searching with the right keywords, or I'm completely overlooking it.

My buddy and I are having a couple issues with coop, They're not a huge problems that a restart doesn't usually fix but it tends to throw off the flow of the game. He's the host, and I joined his game during character creation so I could create my own character. Now, he's got lone wolf for his wizard, so he doesn't run with a companion whereas I do.

The problems we keep running into are, first that the game randomly takes control of the character I was using and gives it back to him, then I get stuck only being able to control the companion I was using. It seems to only happen when entering combat, too.

Every time that happens, if I try and just quit out to the main menu then load back into his game I basically load up a blank UI and a black screen. It requires both of us exiting to the main menu, him loading back in and then me following to fix it.

The second problem is similar, except it randomly gives him my companion so he loses his lone wolf. Both problems require us having to dismiss the companion, then go and re-acquire them so they're following me and not him. Has anyone else had something like this happen, and if so do you know a way to avoid it?

Like I said, not really a big deal and I'm sure (hoping) it's been fixed in the retail build however its a wee bit annoying to have it happen every so often.

Was this recent? Thought this issue was fix in the last several updates since it was mention in the official boards awhile back.

Does this game have a prayer in hell of running on my temporary laptop with a core i-3 2.5ghz and a intel HD4000 card?

If not I'll have to wait till I get home to play it on my gaming desktop 2 weeks from now.

Sentenza

Does this game appear to have a good story, or is the story more of an afterthought. When I saw the Kickstarter I was hoping for some very engrossing story like in Planescape and Baldurs Gate!
Ok, first things first, let's adjust the premise pointing that Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate are nowhere near in the same tier, when it comes to story (and I say this as someone who loves both).

That said, Original Sin so far seems quite story-heavy, so I woldn't say it's a complete "afterthought" , but at the same time you probably shouldn't expect a super-serious, dramatic and/or epic narrative.
Judging from the part so far included in the beta, the general tone feels definitely more light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek more often than not.

From what I've seen the story is more lighthearted, with humour peppered throughout. There are a lot of funny references in the game world, such as some nails that are nine inches long. The story is definitely present and progressing, but it is not a deathly serious affair.

The beta is character-focused in a way that reminds me of Baldur's Gate; characters will have conversations after big events, will discuss or argue about things currently happening, and will make off-hand comments while traveling. (Unfortunately, I never got a third companion, so I don't know if the NPC companions talk as well - I would assume that they do, but I cannot be sure.)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
game sounds and looks very appetizing, I love the genre and will certainly buy if it ends up being a good one

I was planning on going Wizard / Knight for my main characters but after hearing that the first NPCs you come across are
a warrior specializing in two handed weapons and a mage
I might go a different route. Wizard / Ranger maybe?

Any suggestions? I know it may be sacrilege but for a big RPG, especially one that I'm not familiar with its systems, I wouldn't hate having an option to respec somehow.

Top Bottom