• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The same way it slipped past all the other people's radar who are expressing similar sentiments. Media failure.

Or more specifically, the facts that
  • It doesn't have a huge publisher
  • It doesn't have a large marketing budget
  • It's not the kind of title to go viral on youtube
  • It's also not an "indie darling of the week" kind of game
  • The developers are European

• It's a PC exclusive

Spookie

The same way it slipped past all the other people's radar who are expressing similar sentiments. Media failure.

Or more specifically, the facts that
  • It doesn't have a huge publisher
  • It doesn't have a large marketing budget
  • It's not the kind of title to go viral on youtube
  • It's also not an "indie darling of the week" kind of game
  • The developers are European

You forgot:

- It's an RPG where media types can't do quick assessments about the quality of the game without a large investment of time.

So fuck them. This game will be carried by word of mouth.

Durante

It's the publishers job to sell the game to me, not the media.
The media is supposed to inform people about good games.

All good games, not just those which were sold to them at conventions or predigested into rabble-rousing headlines.

Durante

But the penalties to spells do not go away? That's a shame, I guess I will be wearing light armor.
I think it's a good thing, really. Heavy armor should have a spellcasting penalty, because then spells can be more powerful as there is an inherent tradeoff. Otherwise, spells need to be balanced under the assumption that they can also be used by a fully armed and armored tank.

Zukuu

Banned
Curious what everyone's starting class/duo (if not co-oping with a friend) will be?

I'm going solo so it will probably be Mage/Battle mage and Knight.

I keep going back and forth on the mage/battle mage, I love caster/melee hybrid classes, but initial impressions I get are that hybrids might be a little gimped unless you really don't make any mistakes in your character progression. I'll certainly have a few of those on my first play through no doubt...but I am still leaning the battle mage, I'm stubborn.

I don't see hybrids to be effective. At least initially. The strength / int investment is just too high to get rid of the penalty. Not to speak of the missing boni. Talents also need to be spread out more.

I can see it working of you just want one spell from the starter choices (e.g. +50% dmg buff, or Retreat from the Ranger), other than that, I don't think it'll make for a strong character.

I'm going for a Melee with the following skills / talents / traits and make him an onslaught meat wall machine of impenetrable doom and swift death. Since my other character has Leadership and a damage buff, he's dishing out ridiculous damage.
2014-06-25_00005r9kfv.jpg

In my testings, I was dishing out out up to 60 damage per normal melee swing on level 1 WITHOUT Bully active.
I'll be focusing on 2 Handed, Armor prof, Blacksmithing (just for the upgrading, not so much for weapon creating). Charisma (for dialogue options / intimidation) and Man-at-Arms. Later Bodybuilding. Due to Lone Wolf I get more talents per level up, so I can reach higher skill levels faster and easier. I'll probably change Charisma to Leadership or skill that later, since it's an easy permanent buff - even just on level 1 for my other character.

My other character will be a pure Mage that fulfills both, a supportive and offensive role.
2014-06-25_00009olk43.jpg

+50% damage buff for my main character, heal, later more CC and offensive spells and a spamable slow to trigger Bully for another +50% damage increase for a whooping 150-160% damage increase (depending how stuff is calculated) along with Leadership for my warrior. Will focus on Witchcraft for buff / debuffs, Air for Damage and Utility and Water for Heal, CC and Utility. Otherwise on Lorecraft and Leadership for additional permanent boni. +Range talent and Bully for self +50% damage buff on CCed targets.

I'll probably pick up a Archer companion later, which I'll give Rogue talents such as Lock and Pocket picking as off DPS and additional source of CC / Debuffs. I'm also playing with the idea to just play with both main charters and give her Lone Wolf as well for an even greater challenge. I'll be missing the additional story of all the companions, tho.

It's the publishers job to sell the game to me, not the media.

This game doesn't have a publisher.

The strategy here was mainly that the Kickstarter project would "sell" the game to the early adopters, who would then spread the love through word of mouth.

Also Larian has been very generous with behind-the-scenes style videos on YT and Twitch sessions, as they always have been.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Is there anyway to get custom Portraits? CC is decent, not great, but the portrait selection is pretty bad.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Am I overlooking something obvious, or does it sound like the editor could be the next big thing since Neverwinter Nights for custom created content (specifically modules) in RPGs?

By extension I hope there's some sort of evolution of the engine before they move on to something entirely new. I know it's against their stance to nickel and dime their customers with paid DLC, so I'm not expecting that, but the improvement even just a year's worth of work in to an expansion goes a long way for a game engine and editor.

Larian (Swen) has stared that they are too busy with the main game right now. But he left open the possibility of an expansion.

TGMIII

Did they give an ETA for when they're patching in partner AI? I know it'll be after launch but if it's not too long after I might just wait it out.

Damaniel

Banned
How much off was the game during the sale? Sadly missed it.

20% -- so down to $31.99 from $39.99. I can't believe I missed the Kickstarter entirely (especially since Divine Divinity was one of my favorites back in the day), but paying $32 on day one instead of $25 (the Kickstarter early backer price) isn't too bad.

Respect

I don't see hybrids to be effective. At least initially. The strength / int investment is just too high to get rid of the penalty. Not to speak of the missing boni. Talents also need to be spread out more.

I can see it working of you just want one spell from the starter choices (e.g. +50% dmg buff, or Retreat from the Ranger), other than that, I don't think it'll make for a strong character.

I'm going for a Melee with the following skills / talents / traits and make him an onslaught meat wall machine of impenetrable doom and swift death. Since my other character has Leadership and a damage buff, he's dishing out ridiculous damage.

In my testings, I was dishing out out up to 60 damage per normal melee swing on level 1 WITHOUT Bully active.
I'll be focusing on 2 Handed, Armor prof, Blacksmithing (just for the upgrading, not so much for weapon creating). Charisma (for dialogue options / intimidation) and Man-at-Arms. Later Bodybuilding. Due to Lone Wolf I get more talents per level up, so I can reach higher skill levels faster and easier. I'll probably change Charisma to Leadership or skill that later, since it's an easy permanent buff - even just on level 1 for my other character.

My other character will be a pure Mage that fulfills both, a supportive and offensive role.

+50% damage buff for my main character, heal, later more CC and offensive spells and a spamable slow to trigger Bully for another +50% damage increase for a whooping 150-160% damage increase (depending how stuff is calculated) along with Leadership for my warrior. Will focus on Witchcraft for buff / debuffs, Air for Damage and Utility and Water for Heal, CC and Utility. Otherwise on Lorecraft and Leadership for additional permanent boni. +Range talent and Bully for self +50% damage buff on CCed targets.

I'll probably pick up a Archer companion later, which I'll give Rogue talents such as Lock and Pocket picking as off DPS and additional source of CC / Debuffs. I'm also playing with the idea to just play with both main charters and give her Lone Wolf as well for an even greater challenge. I'll be missing the additional story of all the companions, tho.

Unfortunately the more I look at the more I agree, hybrids just won't cut it. Maybe down the line there could be tweaks or niche builds that work, but doesn't look promising at first glance based on what we know so far.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I've already bought it but I'm curious anyway: I don't really get that page. One of them wants to trade a Divinity key for only 3 "Mann Co. Supply Crate Keys"? That would be 6€ or something. Or how does that work?

Mann Co. Supply Crate Keys (TF2 keys) can be bought and sold on steam for an average amount of real money (Similar to currency exchange). For multiple reasons, traders around the world prefer to use TF2 keys instead of direct payment when selling games through Steam.

Current rates directly through steam is around ~$2.30 per key. Lowest price should still be around ~$1.90, but assumes more hassle and slight risk.

Am I overlooking something obvious, or does it sound like the editor could be the next big thing since Neverwinter Nights for custom created content (specifically modules) in RPGs?

By extension I hope there's some sort of evolution of the engine before they move on to something entirely new. I know it's against their stance to nickel and dime their customers with paid DLC, so I'm not expecting that, but the improvement even just a year's worth of work in to an expansion goes a long way for a game engine and editor.

Lots of games have shipped with powerful editors where nothing happens. Witcher 2's red toolkit is very robust, but nothing interesting came out of it.

The important thing is not only the power of the editor, but also its ease of use. A lot of the editors are very technical and difficult to use for newbies, which drastically cuts down on the audience that would ever attempt making something.

Neverwinter Nights had two expansins and countless patches worth of refinement to its engine that allowed for some amazing stuff to happen, such as rideable horses and visible cloaks (which were some of the final (free) additions to the game). The editor itself is relatively straightforward, such that even complete newbies can make a functioning map (it may suck, but it will work). They also took a good approach to making easy-to-use custom content via .hak files - simply download them and stuff them into the hak folder and you're all set to play.

One really neat, unintended thing that occured in Neverwinter Nights was Persistent Worlds - dedicated online multiplayer game servers that stayed up 24/7, allowing dozens of players and multiple Dungeon Masters to coordinate events and actions together. There was even some linked servers, allowing for travel between the two different worlds. Coupled with the wealth of custom content, it made for a really neat experience. Every persistent world was basically a miniature MMO.

It would be really nice if DOS ushers in a new era of user-made content.

I think it's a good thing, really. Heavy armor should have a spellcasting penalty, because then spells can be more powerful as there is an inherent tradeoff. Otherwise, spells need to be balanced under the assumption that they can also be used by a fully armed and armored tank.

I agree but there could be perks or something to circumvent that, which would then limit you in other ways because you no longer have those points to use freely.

Sothpaw

Totally agree. Not a huge fan of games where every character can do anything.

Zukuu

Banned
Totally agree. Not a huge fan of games where every character can do anything.

But this way he can't really do nothing but a single thing. I like if non-pure-mages can at least make use of basic utility spells such as buffs / debuffs or CC spells. Of course it won't make sense to cast fireball due to the lack of int and heavy armor penalty, but I don't see why I shouldn't be able to buff myself just because I'm wearing heavy armor.

UrAvgGuy

Hmm that's interesting. I usually tend to prefer a hybrid character but I may have to rethink that.

Zukuu

Banned
Hmm that's interesting. I usually tend to prefer a hybrid character but I may have to rethink that.
To clarify: To get rid of the initial -30% penalty you need 3 additional int / strength (8 in total) respectively for the starter skills. This will increase for higher level skills. This means you can accomplish a 8 strength, 7 int spec at the start of the game, but lack any other stats. You'll need to prominently invest in only those two attributes whenever you get a skill point to keep up with the requirements. Additional stats over the requirement provide a 5% increase. Further, you need to have the appropriate talents, or the spells and skills cost more AP. A level 3 Air Magic spell, needs a level 3 Aerologhthyhqbla skill. If you are aero level 1, the level 3 spell will cost additionally +4AP (I think), making it not really feasible. As a mage you want to have multiple Elements. Level 1 of any Talent cost 1 point, Level 2 costs 2(!) points etc Meaning you have to sacrifice elements in order to level Man-at-Arms to make use of the warrior skills.

Sendou

Just bought a copy. Going to play this in co-op with my buddy. Everything about this game sounds so great.

So how are Divinity Original Sin: The Golden Grail DLC and Divinity Original Sin: Zandalor's Trunks DLC? Anything substantial? Are they something you can play towards the end of the story?

Google

The media is supposed to inform people about good games.

Yes. But who informs the media about good games?

As I said, I'm not looking for a fight but I cant agree that it's the media's fault that people dont know about this videogame. The Publisher (or developer in this instance) is the one who has most to gain (and lose) by not getting their videogame into the public.

Also, for the record, this game has had some pretty incredible press which has actually used in their teaser trailers - so I'm not even sure what you're talking about?

The nonrepresentative character portraits are a bummer. Since you can only customize a few things about your characters, it seems reasonable that they could have created a few more matching portraits. It's not a huge problem, but it's disappointing.

I should also say that I like how intuitive experimenting with the magic system is. Oil and flares gives you burning enemies, water and electricity electrocutes, etc.

Zukuu

Banned
On the ineffective hybrid talk, is the ranger class considered a hybrid?
Ranger is an own thing:

The talents are broke down into:
-Expert Marksmen (Ranger) <> Dex
-Scoundrel (Rogue) <> Dex
-Man-at-Arms (Melee) <> Str
-Witchcraft, Air, Water, Fire, Earth (Mage) <> Int

You need the appropriate talent and the appropriate stats to equip and/or use a particular talent. Anything above that requirement yields a small %-increase (I think 5% per point, but I'm not sure).

edit: if you speak about the preset class "Ranger", it's a pure archer. Wayfarer is a Ranger / Mage hybrid. You can customize your character in every aspect no matter the starting class. All that determines is the starting equipment. I choose Knight as pre-set for the heavy armor and 2h weapon, but customize him to have almost nothing in common with the preset.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought a copy. Going to play this in co-op with my buddy. Everything about this game sounds so great.

So how are Divinity Original Sin: The Golden Grail DLC and Divinity Original Sin: Zandalor's Trunks DLC? Anything substantial? Are they something you can play towards the end of the story?

The Golden Grail turns items into gold. Zandalor's Trunks comments on the happenings of the world as you explore it.

Decado

Are all the starting skills, talents and abilities that will be in the full game been incorporated into the early access version?

Taruranto

Alright I'm someone who picked this up after knowing next to nothing about it and I'm super hyped for the 30th after messing around in the beta. I've never really played any cRPGs before and I'd love some recommendations on some good ones to play. I saw there were enhanced editions of the Baldurs Gate games on steam and I've heard good things about them, so I might pick those up during the sale.

BG2 is fantastic yeah.
But honestly, it's a pretty HUGE game, if you want to play Divinity I suggest to wait.

erragal

The true sacrifice of a hybrid character is activity. In combat you have action points determining how much you can do in a round. The amount you start a combat with is based on perception, the amount gained per round is based on speed, initiative is based on speed/perception, and your cap is based on constitution.

Every attribute point has immense value. Because you can get them on gear splashing hybridization becomes more feasible as you level but being a true multiclass from the start is a more intense path; more in the ad&d tradition of versatility over brute power.

There are some balance issues as always but the overall system really pushes you to value what you actually want each character to do appropriately while still allowing for strong thematic builds given dedication and patience.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've never really seen the appeal of hybrids in a party based game. You got enough characters to specialize in everything, why gimp yourself?

Santiako

All the talk of keys in this thread made me look around and I saw that this was only 3 keys, so I went for it.

L132mIG.png

With this I now have all the Divinity games :p

syko de4d

Just saw this in the steam thread, another coop isomatric RPG on Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-in-a-brutal-dieselpunk-univers?ref=discovery

Neogaf thread is here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=843968&highlight=insomnia

Just heard for the first time about this, looks pretty good (beside the UI). I thought some people from this thread could be interested in a game like this :)

So back to Divinity, only 19hours till Editor. Second half of 2014 will be amazing :D. Divinity, Risen3(not much hype for it on gaf sadly :p), Dragon Age, PoE (still planned for 2014 ^^) and maybe Wasteland2 (not sure if i like it)

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw this in the steam thread, another coop isomatric RPG on Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-in-a-brutal-dieselpunk-univers?ref=discovery

Neogaf thread is here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=843968&highlight=insomnia

Just heard for the first time about this, looks pretty good (beside the UI). I thought some people from this thread could be interested in a game like this :)

The dieselpunk game? It looks promising. The UI used in the Divinity: OS Kickstarter footage was nothing special either.

Well not 9,99&#8364; annoyed :p To be honest it sounds like a feature I'd have off anyway.

The DLC items are from the Kickstarter.

Santiako

I'm going to be firing the game tonight for the last time before release to make adjustments to the characters and trying them in the first couple of fights to see exactly how I'll make them.

Top Bottom