• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Lucumo

Hm, meh, why isn't there a retail, no-steam version of it available? =/
Would totally buy the Collectors Edition otherwise.

Tanolen

Vendors do restock.

Also, have you checked the
elementals in the homestead
? The
fire guy
sells Man At Arms skills too.

I leveled up and then went to each man at arms vendor and quick saved, every time I reloaded they had a different stock, after 20+ restocks they never had whirlwind or dust devil, they had every other skill though.

erragal

The could be ways to add consequence that don't require rng. Maybe give up an attribute point, another skill, maybe 2 skills, maybe something more wieghty...

I'm just not a fan of character progression tied to rng, I'm sure there's a better way to design it so it so decision has weight.

As above. :p

Try not thinking of skill selection as character progression then?

It's only character progression because you've attached yourself to a permutation of your character that has all skills and expect to. If you don't have the -expectation- that skill acquisition is part of natural growth (which it isn't, they're objects in the game world not rewards for leveling) them you wouldnt feel that way.

But it is a mindset issue. People are trained to expect everything being available to them at all timed. A game that says no is virtusllu nonexistant anymore. Unless you play a lot of roguelikes...then this game is going soft on you.

Zakalwe

Banned
I leveled up and then went to each man at arms vendor and quick saved, every time I reloaded they had a different stock, after 20+ restocks they never had whirlwind or dust devil, they had every other skill though.

Even the
elementals
?

Maybe you could try crafting the scrolls and books? Might get lucky that way!

Try not thinking of skill selection as character progression then?

It's only character progression because you've attached yourself to a permutation of your character that has all skills and expect to. If you don't have the -expectation- that skill acquisition is part of natural growth (which it isn't, they're objects in the game world not rewards for leveling) them you wouldnt feel that way.

But it is a mindset issue. People are trained to expect everything being available to them at all timed. A game that says no is virtusllu nonexistant anymore. Unless you play a lot of roguelikes...then this game is going soft on you.

Again, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I've not run into any issue with my character progression or building, I'm not expecting any skills or even looking up what there is for each class. I'm using what I find and building on the go and my party is extremely efficient.

I guess it really is just a mindset issue, any system based on rng has the potential to screw a few people over and I've had multiple issues with these in previous games. But as you can't really get screwed over in this game I guess it really is just a matter of work with what you've got, and that it's an inherent part of the way progression works as a whole in the game. I like how you describe the skills as objects in the game world, that's a good perspective to take.

Still sucks for those who really want to use a specific skill or two and simply can't find them anywhere due to rng. I guess that kind of potential frustration is just part and parcel.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'd almost buy that if non casters didn't have high basic attack damage as part of their characters. Also support marksman scrolls actuslly do exist (Doctor/first aid).

But the ultimate point is none of those characters are ineffective without any specific skill. There's also nothing stopping them from using the caster class scrolls to bolster their options. Or special arrows.

Your options in this game are limited only by your mind, not which spell books dropped for you.
don't get me wrong.. I really don't think there's anything wrong with the game as it is right now.

I like your response above that you shouldn't think of spells/skills as advancement, and I wholeheartedly agree. The basic skills for every kit in the game ensure that those kits are viable even if you get "screwed" on vendor selection as you level up. There is no must-have spell/skill in the game (despite some posts insisting otherwise) and IMHO the biggest reason for going past level 2 or 3 in an ability is simply to support the higher level skills for AP.

Zukuu

Banned
How can I open the
prison
hatch in Hunter's Edge?
I've done all quests available, then it came to a big show down. I sided with the Mountain Folk, killed all orcs, they said "hey good job we're gonna move on", I slaughtered them as well. No key in sight, and they never gave me permission.

edit: Seem to have broken my game... great.

Blu10

I bought that skill book from the chief legionnaire guy in the first town.

LogicStep

Vendors restock when you level up. All of them.

Random skills is part of the game world. There are no 'make or break' skills. There is always another way to solve an encounter. Don't get locked into one solution.

Last night we got ambushed in Hinderheim and my character was completrly blocked off by a neutral stag. I didn't want to murder him so I feather fall's him away from the fight. My friend was convinced I was the only one that's done that...but just the fact I had that choice presented to me was a completely spontaneous moment in the game.

I chose to be true to my animal loving ways and used the mechanics of thr game to roleplay that. This game is so wonderful.

Not just that, I'm getting so much enjoyment out of Pet Pal.

HoosTrax

I haven't reached the end-game (or even the later mid-game really) yet, but the idea that there would be a single make-or-break skill in this game seems off to me. There are just so many viable tactical options in battle, it would have to change completely for something like that to be possible.
What would your tactic be against something that had 5000-10,000 health, near total immunity to every element and damage type, and high enough evasion that physical attacks have a 20% chance to hit, to avoid an hour long battle?

Zakalwe

Banned
]blacky[;120021418 said:
Afther how many hours will this be possible?

I believe it's the
second room you unlock in the homestead
. I didn't unlock it until later than I could have though, so not sure on the hours needed.

erragal

What would your tactic be against something that had 5000-10,000 health, near total immunity to every element and damage type, and high enough evasion that physical attacks have a 20% chance to hit, to avoid an hour long battle?

Are you implying there's no way you missed a fixed in game world solution to that situation which can only be covered by a random skillbook on one character? Spurious logic.

Otherwise it sounds like you believe brute force must always be your option -and- must be easy. That's not how the game is designed.

FtHTiny

I have to agree. The - resist shout is certainly one of the most powerful spells in the game.
Of course it´s not necessary to beat it but it makes things so much easier and faster.

Zukuu

Banned
I have to agree. The - resist shout is certainly one of the most powerful spells in the game.
Of course it´s not necessary to beat it but it makes things so much easier and faster.
there is also a "nullify resist" shout. :3

Can someone help me? Posted a question on the last page. Seems that I have broken my game...

Leezard

Question about the boss K
ing
B
oreas
:

Is this fight supposed to be this long or is there some trick to it? I noticed the four shrines corresponding to the elements, each granting a buff.

If you wnat to know the trick:
destroy the statues.

misho8723

Banned
So new reviews: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/divinity_original_sin/b/pc/archive/2014/07/08/a-truly-divine-rpg.aspx?utm_content=buffer8430e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer 9/10
"Embrace the lack of handholding and complete freedom, and you have an incredible title that provides many hours of entertainment."

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/divinityoriginalsin/2378/review.html 8,5/10
"While in my opinion it has a few flaws that hold it back from true all-time-classic status Divinity: Original Sin is an excellent, beautifully designed and engaging RPG that absolutely never gets boring."

huxley00

the problem with this thread is that anything that is useful and fun is considered broken. you can't get items that outpower same level legendaries without investing at least 2-3 levels into BS (along with bonuses). That's not trivial as you are taking those points away from other abilities that have likewise benefits.

The only thing I may consider broken in the game is Leech. There doesn't seem to be any downside. For 1 skill point you can essentially ignore healing on any melee that has it. It also in the mid-game makes them invulnerable+ (they heal) on slash and puncture attacks (I'm getting hit for 40 and absorbing 60)

Its funny, this thread mirrors the Baldurs Gate official forum exactly.

People constantly discussing what is cheese, what isn't cheese, is it really beating the game on the hardest difficulty if you go outside the bounds of what the developer intended....etc etc etc.

No general consensus is reached really, yes, this game has a lot of cheese but play it however you want. If people want to play a strict game, that is up to them, its pretty easy to tell when you're going outside the scope of what the developer intended...but to others, systems are meant to be broken *shrugs*.

The only thing I really have to say about it is that I wish classes were more fleshed out and restrictive. Its way too easy to lay on the cheese when you can spend one skill point and get quite a few very useful abilities outside of your characters typical scope, that would never fly in D&D.

FtHTiny

there is also a "nullify resist" shout. :3

Can someone help me? Posted a question on the last page. Seems that I have broken my game...

That´s the shout i meant.
To your question, i did that part before
clearing out the city. But i don´t think you need to do it in order to advance the story.

Zukuu

Banned
That´s the shout i meant.
To your question, i did that part before
clearing out the city. But i don´t think you need to do it in order to advance the story.
I need
them to get to the wizard family, and ultimately to get through the barrier in the wizard house
. D:

goblin

Goddamnit, Frederick died and now I can't complete his stupid quest.

Didn't even meant for him to die. Just joined the spider queen battle for no good reason.

Is Frederick
supposed to die alone while I was retrieving the bloodstone?
:s
I assume the answer is yes but I don't know.

Edit: I used the bloodstone just now and I still have his quest in the journal.

He attacked me afterwards. I can't finish any of the quests involving him. So I dunno.

I killed Frederick and was able to complete this quest. If you also told the imp to stay in Moradino's lair did you brew it an elixir of courage? Doing that and then following the imp back outside to where Frederick used to be triggered a small scene that ticked off the quest for me.

I need
them to get to the wizard family, and ultimately to get through the barrier in the wizard house
. D:

You can do that without them. It's one of the first things I did when I was exploring the town, actually.
There's a big boulder on the left side of town that you can destroy. It's across the field from the house with the mountain men who were talking about looking for the apprentices, up the hill from the Hunter's Edge waypoint. Should be a hatch underneath and then another door that you may need to either lockpick or bust down. Good luck!

Zukuu

Banned
I killed Frederick and was able to complete this quest. If you also told the imp to stay in Moradino's lair did you brew it an elixir of courage? Doing that and then following the imp back outside to where Frederick used to be triggered a small scene that ticked off the quest for me.
uhhh didn't even think about it. Can you remember the recipe? I seem to have sold it.

TheContact

I killed the first zone big boss
Braccus Rex, then my game crashed and I killed him again, he dropped his Unique axe (which is badass) but this time he didn't drop the key to open his personal chest.
How do I open this chest?

HoosTrax

I killed the first zone big boss
Braccus Rex, then my game crashed and I killed him again, he dropped his Unique axe (which is badass) but this time he didn't drop the key to open his personal chest.
How do I open this chest?
You won't be able to get that until much later (it's not in the same area).

There may not be any make-or-break skills, but something like a melee-focused character being locked out of the ability to hit more than one enemy due to certain skillbooks having all but disappeared from the game is pretty shitty. I'm at level 6 and no matter how many reloads the vendor just has the same bunch of books; two, three, sometimes four copies of the same one - half of them too high level for me to use. I'm leaning toward it being a bug because it makes no sense at all.

Maybe every level shuffles the available pool of skillbooks that show up as well? idk

FtHTiny

I need
. D:

I think you can skip them.
Take the key out of the beehive next to the house. Go down to the hatch hidden under the large rock and you should be set.

aborath

Neo Member
Can anyone comment on how viable sword-n-board builds are in this game? I've been running my knight as a typical two-handed user, but I'm wanting to try something different. My other character is an archer/scoundrel who's serving as my "face" character. She's fun, but I'm pulling my hair out trying to find branches to make bows. You'd think that I could just use an ax on a tree, but nope.

TheContact

You won't be able to get that until much later (it's not in the same area).

The first time I killed the boss before my game crashed the boss dropped a key to a chest of personal belongings, then the second time I killed him the key didn't drop. I'm not talking about the Source chest, I did take that for my inventory until I find an unlock scroll, but the chest with the personal belongings had some legendaries in it when I opened it before. Is the key a random drop? Maybe in place of the key it dropped the Unique? Just guessing here but I wonder why he didn't drop a key this time.

erragal

There may not be any make-or-break skills, but something like a melee-focused character being locked out of the ability to hit more than one enemy due to certain skillbooks having all but disappeared from the game is pretty shitty. I'm at level 6 and no matter how many reloads the vendor just has the same bunch of books; two, three, sometimes four copies of the same one - half of them too high level for me to use. I'm leaning toward it being a bug because it makes no sense at all.

Do you need it to progress? You're obsessing over a detail that isn't holding you back. Instead of reloading you should go level then check the vendors again. It'll change their inventory spawn seed so they show different books.

I find it funny how when reload exploits don't work people think it's bugged. That's how fucked games have become. I feel old...how the fuck would anyone play a gold box game, nethack/crawl, or Ultima Vii. Stop searching for solutions outside the game and -play- the damn game. That's the point...so everyone has a different experience getting various skills at different points so each journey is fundamentally different.

HoosTrax

You'd think that I could just use an ax on a tree, but nope.
You use an ax on a tree...stump.

The first time I killed the boss before my game crashed the boss dropped a key to a chest of personal belongings, then the second time I killed him the key didn't drop. I'm not talking about the Source chest, I did take that for my inventory until I find an unlock scroll, but the chest with the personal belongings had some legendaries in it when I opened it before. Is the key a random drop? Maybe in place of the key it dropped the Unique? Just guessing here but I wonder why he didn't drop a key this time.
Ah, not sure then, I did get that key when I killed him. I assumed it was a guaranteed drop, but maybe not.

Zakalwe

Banned
Can anyone comment on how viable sword-n-board builds are in this game? I've been running my knight as a typical two-handed user, but I'm wanting to try something different. My other character is an archer/scoundrel who's serving as my "face" character. She's fun, but I'm pulling my hair out trying to find branches to make bows. You'd think that I could just use an ax on a tree, but nope.

You can use an axe on a log to make branches. You can find quite a lot of logs in containers or on non merchant npcs.

I don't really see the point of one handed. Less damage, and my 2h Knight can take ridiculous amounts of pain (espcially with leech).

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

Maybe every level shuffles the available pool of skillbooks that show up as well? idk

yes, this has already been pretty reasonably figured out. When you level, they will get a new stock. The first time you visit them after you level their stock will be randomized. If you want to save scum at this point, save RIGHT BEFORE talking to them the first time. If you don't like what they have, reload and talk to them again. Once you talk to them their stock is now committed until the next time you level. If you level for example, save, talk to one vendor, save scum til you get what you want. then save when you find it. talk to the next vendor, save scum til you find the books. repeat.

edit - I know there is a fixed amount of xp in the game.. however items don't respawn also, correct? so in theory there is a fixed amount of gold/value in a given map as well, right? I clear out the first map of every single item, that is the most gold/value I can possibly get from that map.. right?

Taruranto

cY6P0Nr.jpg

Well... I could certainly use a "gather all" option...

Zukuu

Banned
Do you need it to progress? You're obsessing over a detail that isn't holding you back. Instead of reloading you should go level then check the vendors again. It'll change their inventory spawn seed so they show different books.

I find it funny how when reload exploits don't work people think it's bugged. That's how fucked games have become. I feel old...how the fuck would anyone play a gold box game, nethack/crawl, or Ultima Vii. Stop searching for solutions outside the game and -play- the damn game. That's the point...so everyone has a different experience getting various skills at different points so each journey is fundamentally different.
why quote me?

No need to defend every aspect of the game. Not having access to a basic, starting skill of the class when I have more skill slots become available is stupid, not "hardcore".

yes, this has already been pretty reasonably figured out. When you level, they will get a new stock. The first time you visit them after you level their stock will be randomized. If you want to save scum at this point, save RIGHT BEFORE talking to them the first time. If you don't like what they have, reload and talk to them again. Once you talk to them their stock is now committed until the next time you level. If you level for example, save, talk to one vendor, save scum til you get what you want. then save when you find it. talk to the next vendor, save scum til you find the books. repeat.

I'm doing this, but the stocks are always the same bunch of skills in different quantities. So either it's not entirely randomized (i.e. skills get phased out of the pool as you level up and are gone for good, or maybe even/odd levels will give different pools), or it's bugged.

Zukuu

Banned
They should just make them "adjustable" and not "a total reset" of points. e.g. you can subtract strength points (down to 5) and free up points that way. Same for skills. Move down 2h, and free up points you can spend elsewhere. If you don't touch your men-at-arms, no need to lose all skills. If you lower it, you keep spells up to the number of slots you have available. (maybe make them sort-able, so you can choose which to keep).

erragal

No need to defend every aspect of the game. Not having access to a basic, starting skill of the class when I have more skill slots become available is stupid, not "hardcore".

I'm doing this, but the stocks are always the same bunch of skills in different quantities. So either it's not entirely randomized (i.e. skills get phased out of the pool as you level up and are gone for good, or maybe even/odd levels will give different pools), or it's bugged.

Aoe is not a starting skill and isn't their specialization. They have some, unlike scoundrels, but its ancillary compared to mages with long cooldowns. It's not even part of the core functionality of the class. You just want it. Play without it...use something else.

I never claimed this game is hardcore. Roguelikes are hardcore. This game has elements of randomization to encourage nonstandard paths/tactical diversity.

Imagine a scenario where you just played the game as is and didn't fret about what you didn't have. Would your progress be stopped? Or would you just use all the other tools that you have to deal with situations. Perhaps try a different skill you do have available and find its niche.

rybrad

Has anyone finished the game yet while doing all of the sidequests? Almost through the second huge zone and have 50 hours in, curious to see how much we have left. It is pretty amazing that this game is still in the #1 spot on Steam, I couldn't be happier for Larian and the well-deserved success.

Zukuu

Banned
I think you can skip them.
Take the key out of the beehive next to the house. Go down to the hatch hidden under the large rock and you should be set.
I found the key. Thanks a lot. There is no way in hell I would have solved that without looking it up. That's a bit of the problem of the game. It too easy to soft brake the game for yourself, without clear indicator that you did so.

Top Bottom