• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Santiako

Wait mages aren't OP? What are you doing with your mages? Me and my co-op buddy have a split the elements with our casters with Madora just being spoiled with our crappy RNG (she has so many golds and even immunity to stun and knockdown through gear). The mobs never get to act due to 28 initiative and half the time Madora can never make it to the mobs due to the 20AP a round mage can basically end a fight.

Oh and the shields(elemental) are godly for mages and absorb(witch craft) is godly for a geared Madora, everything heals her so no need to be careful with nukes.

Touché :p

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man waiting for my coop partner sucks so I've started a second single player game. You'd think doing stuff I've already done just a week ago would be boring, but it's not. Especially with how crazily open ended this game is.

So good.

nbthedude

Man waiting for my coop partner sucks so I've started a second single player game. You'd think doing stuff I've already done just a week ago would be boring, but it's not. Especially with how crazily open ended this game is.

So good.
I did the exact thing for the exact same reason.

So good.

You get their acheevs, too.

So good.

BPoole

How do I make NPCs in my party follow me around. I have Madora and Jahan in my group and they neevr follow me anywhere.

Tom Penny

How do I make NPCs in my party follow me around. I have Madora and Jahan in my group and they neevr follow me anywhere.

You probably unlinked them. Where their panels are there should be chains connecting them. Just move the panels into each other.

Did you skip the tutorial dungeon? Don't do that!

But, to answer your question, you can "chain" your party together so they follow each-other. Simply drag the portrait of a person you want following onto the person you want leading; if the two are close together they will "chain" together and move as a party. You can chain all four together, or chain them in pairs of two.You can also reposition their portraits, which will not break the chain (this is useful if you want specific hotkeys, F1-F4, to apply to specific party members).

To separate characters so they act independantly again, drag their portrait away from the group.

One thing to note is that sometimes, at least for me, it bugs out and there's an error message when they should be close enough already. To fix this problem, just drag their portrait into the middle of the chain instead of one of the chain's ends (i.e. into position 2 or 3, instead of position 1 or 4), this should allow the chain to work properly.

Note that sneaking characters will act independant, unless the entire party is sneaking.

Sounds like they aren't linked with your main characters. Grab Madora and Jahan's portraits and drag them to your main character's portraits and a little link or chain will appear and connect them. Characters will move as a group when they're chained together. Drag the portraits apart to break the chain and you can move them independently.

edit: I'm slow.

BPoole

You probably unlinked them. Where their panels are there should be chains connecting them. Just move the panels into each other.

Did you skip the tutorial dungeon? Don't do that!

But, to answer your question, you can "chain" your party together so they follow each-other. Simply drag the portrait of a person you want following onto the person you want leading; if the two are close together they will "chain" together and move as a party. You can chain all four together, or chain them in pairs of two.You can also reposition their portraits, which will not break the chain (this is useful if you want specific hotkeys, F1-F4, to apply to specific party members).

To separate characters so they act independantly again, drag their portrait away from the group.

Note that sneaking characters will act independant, unless the entire party is sneaking.

Thank you! I am doing co op and I guess that section didn't show up in the tutorial since both characters were player controlled.

Levyne

Banned
Am I going to regret giving all my Tenebrium to
Brandon? Now ZixZax is telling me I'm going to need some to fight void demosn.

AEREC

Been having some weird performance issues with this game...every time I start it plays at around 20fps and after a minute or two goes to a solid 60fps.

Sarcasm

Well...I am stuck.

In black cove I went down the hatch to find a bunch of push button/switches. (Where is the key to that chest before bridge??) and I pushed them all...one said I pushed what I was looking for but I don't see what happened....

nbthedude

This game gives me a headache sometimes.

Where can I find new skillbooks ? Is there a vendor or is it more like a explore for it thing ?

Both. There are lots of vendors that sell them. the wizard/cat on 2nd floor of the Legionaire's Headquarters, the witch on the second floor of the inn, and others in the town market.

Well...I am stuck.

In black cove I went down the hatch to find a bunch of push button/switches. (Where is the key to that chest before bridge??) and I pushed them all...one said I pushed what I was looking for but I don't see what happened....

The key is
behind a shipwreck
and for the buttons just
push every single one of them, some are hidden in grass and corner and leave the middle one with rot for last
. Just take a real close look all around.

syko de4d

The best thing is when my ranger summons this Bomb Turtle thing and my healer teleports it in the middle of 5+ enemies xD

Its a great way to start a combat too.

Sarcasm

The key is
behind a shipwreck
and for the buttons just
push every single one of them, some are hidden in grass and corner and leave the middle one with rot for last
. Just take a real close look all around.

Thanks, but my character told me I pushed the correct one. Guess I just repress them all >.<

This game gives me a headache sometimes.

Where can I find new skillbooks ? Is there a vendor or is it more like a explore for it thing ?

You can find them, craft them, or buy them.

As the above said, some vendors sell them. Far as I've seen, there's a vendor specializing in each skill/spell category in each town. Their inventory will change periodically (I think every time you level up) so be sure to check back with them in the future.

Note that some of their skillbooks might be beyond your level... Let's just say, sometimes it's good to invest in the future.

VandalD

I saved some tenebrium to craft my own weapons to fight the void demons. But it turns out crafted tenebrium weapons don't work apparently. I guess all I can do is keep playing and hope I find some actual tenebrium weapons laying around. Or just avoid those demons I guess.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I played this today. I wasn't into their original action RPGs, but this game has shocked me. One thing that drew me away was the plot and how the world looked. This is somewhat more interesting than the rest of their work. It's probably the sleeper hit of the summer. What sucks is that it isn't mainstream where we're seeing this. This should of been something on their list 5 years ago.

They can actually make an interesting plot with twists. Most games it's straight forward for the majority of the time. Where you have to push through to each town. I wish more games that use this knight-style would do this more often. It seems like the genre is being done more and more often, so this is like a cleansing pallet. I was beginning to rely on JRPGs from a certain era. That entire enjoyment can become rotten after a while.This game's popularity probably spiked because of it.

Doing the wishing well quest. At a door that went up when the guards spotted me. Killed the guards. Gate still up.

You just need a weapon with Tenebrium damage.

20 was never a hard cap. Just an estimated level players will end up when they finish the game and play a normal game (so not slaughtering every town and innocent bystanders)
I thought it was a hard cap, as in cheaters can't even reach 21. Is it actually possible to get to 21?

Levyne

Banned
Alright. I'm stuck at the
Alter in the Cathedral.

But I'm not sure I should even be here.
I never found Loic to do the trials but ended up instead lockpicking my way to the Immaculate village and I have an Amulet that makes everyone thing I'm an enlightened. I saw a prison full of people being used for Blood Stones but I didn't know what to do there. I also have avoided the desert up north since the level of the enemies there was really high at the time. I also haven't managed to enter the Troll cave or whatever.
Maybe I should just keep going and not worry about doing things in the "correct order".

Alter in the Cathedral.

I never found Loic to do the trials but ended up instead lockpicking my way to the Immaculate village and I have an Amulet that makes everyone thing I'm an enlightened. I saw a prison full of people being used for Blood Stones but I didn't know what to do there. I also have avoided the desert up north since the level of the enemies there was really high at the time. I also haven't managed to enter the Troll cave or whatever.
Maybe I should just keep going and not worry about doing things in the "correct order".

You kind of need to do the trials in order.

I've found the game gets way less non-linear questwise in Acts 2/3.

Burt

Alter in the Cathedral.

You probably shouldn't be there. Act 2 really is a complete mess in terms of quest and plot progression. I'd recommend something for you, but I can't even do that without knowing where you are in regards to all the other quests, because the part you're talking about can be brute forced to with no regard for story, logic, or anything but the strength to get there.

On a different note, I have a CC tank that's pretty great with some Scoundrel thrown on him in addition to man at arms and a few points in Hydro. Can self heal/haste/remove cripple/blind/weak/etc., has multiple knockdowns/weakens/cripples, and does more than a decent amount of damage when he isn't soaking up hits and stuns. Fun stuff. Stat distribution is a bit trying though.

Any tips on how to maximize a ranger? I used to have my melee as the primary damage dealer, but was sick of him getting stunlocked and just being too damn slow, so I'm throwing my buffs on my ranger and pretty much using everyone else to screen as necessary.

Eternia

I encountered quite a few bugs trying to beat the game, one of them possibly from me? One of the dialogue options when you talk to
Leandra to forge her soul back with her sister as you enter the first garden
crashes the game. Pick the other one instead.

After that, I killed the
Void Dragon
but then I couldn't move once the cinematic completed. I assume that's the last boss though. What funky method I tried that took 2 hours for everything was for part one,
I used featherfall against the two Death Princes into a far corner, then used featherfall on Leandra into my group. Then the big guy last. (Too bad Astarte aggro'ed the Princes towards me)
Those guys were mauling my Knights/Warriors in 1-2 turns so I guess I cheated.

Part two seemed far more simple
with weak adds but the Void Dragon has a ton of hp and dodge. My lack of blessing and high level magic users (only one) really dragged the fight on. I'll probably need to spread some of my more powerful scrolls around next time.
I also hit one of my characters with the final shot which may have done something bad.

In total, it's a great game with interactivity and chioce I haven't experienced before. It was a rich world that was a joy to explore, especially Cyseal. It is held back with some obtuse puzzle design that was reused far too often (don't want to look for any more switches!), slow combat speed, no threat system, and some poor interfaces such as the one for crafting (ended up not using much at all).

Eternia

How much further do I have? I'm at Hunter's Edge, doing the Phantom Forest quest. It's kind of cool how the game really is one big quest.
Depends on which quests you've done so far but the area is (hard to give a time since it took me forever)
one of the last big areas to explore
, more specifically what's left
a combination of a few short dungeons/areas with a handful of fights and a few puzzle sections, along with however much you still need to fight in the forest to get to the Source Temple/swamp area
. You may need more time if you haven't had enough
inert stones (from used blood stones) to open up your entire homestead

goblin

I encountered quite a few bugs trying to beat the game, one of them possibly from me? One of the dialogue options when you talk to
Leandra to forge her soul back with her sister as you enter the first garden
crashes the game. Pick the other one instead.

After that, I killed the
Void Dragon
but then I couldn't move once the cinematic completed. I assume that's the last boss though. What funky method I tried that took 2 hours for everything was for part one,
I used featherfall against the two Death Princes into a far corner, then used featherfall on Leandra into my group. Then the big guy last. (Too bad Astarte aggro'ed the Princes towards me)
Those guys were mauling my Knights/Warriors in 1-2 turns so I guess I cheated.

Part two seemed far more simple
with weak adds but the Void Dragon has a ton of hp and dodge. My lack of blessing and high level magic users (only one) really dragged the fight on. I'll probably need to spread some of my more powerful scrolls around next time.
I also hit one of my characters with the final shot which may have done something bad.

In total, it's a great game with interactivity and chioce I haven't experienced before. It was a rich world that was a joy to explore, especially Cyseal. It is held back with some obtuse puzzle design that was reused far too often (don't want to look for any more switches!), slow combat speed, no threat system, and some poor interfaces such as the one for crafting (ended up not using much at all).

The Void Dragon is the last boss, yeah. Are you talking about the cutscene with Astarte and the Void Dragon? Does that mean she didn't talk to you about the whole god conspiracy thing and then you didn't see Zixzax again?

How much further do I have? I'm at Hunter's Edge, doing the Phantom Forest quest. It's kind of cool how the game really is one big quest.

Potentially not very much longer. The Phantom Forest leads into the final dungeon which can take a long time or no time at all depending on how you take to the puzzles in it. I found the entire last stretch of the game to be a pushover, combat-wise.

Eternia

dont tell me I need to have those on me...
I don't think you literally have to have them, just need to make sure you've used them. More of a statement that you don't need to hoard them in that form, I never used them until the story forced me to.
The Void Dragon is the last boss, yeah. Are you talking about the cutscene with Astarte and the Void Dragon? Does that mean she didn't talk to you about the whole god conspiracy thing and then you didn't see Zixzax again?
I'm not even sure I saw the whole cutscene since one of those generic "why are you hitting me" messages popped up. I was locked up, unable to perform any action right after with nothing else happening.

Alric

Love this game so much. Just took on 7 lvl.6 orcs with one of them being that giant orc type with all level 3 characters. Gotta love Rain, lightning, and ice. Lets you work on one or two at a time while keeping the rest in limbo. I need a way to play more without the bothersome of sleep or work.

Levyne

Banned
Heh, so I beat
Mangoth
and got the spell to deal with the
Knights
, but I think the mine is blown up so I'm not sure I even need that? Troll cave is blocked off still so I went up to the desert area where I'm finally strong enough to take on enemies and NOW I find the Immaculate trial cave...and I wish I didn't ;_; .

Welp, it's good to be a little lost, but I have to sleep.

goblin

I don't think you literally have to have them, just need to make sure you've used them. More of a statement that you don't need to hoard them in that form, I never used them until the story forced me to.

I'm not even sure I saw the whole cutscene since one of those generic "why are you hitting me" messages popped up. I was locked up, unable to perform any action right after with nothing else happening.

What a bummer! The cutscene and immediate follow-up conversation is mostly exposition for a sequel (or the events of Divine Divinity?) and will probably be available on Youtube soon. There's a short epilogue, though, that comments on the relationship of your protagonists based on their personality traits. I really enjoyed that part of the ending. It's not too long -- a couple of paragraphs, maybe -- but if you have it in you to kill the Void Dragon again it's a nice way to wrap-up to the game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Wait, what am I missing here?

Made it to the immaculate temple, but the path is crumbled/blocked and I cna't find a way around it.

Also goddamn weak is the most annoying status ever. Why do you have to remove my armour? Really want some immune to weak stuff but no luck. :(

Zukuu

Banned
Wait, what am I missing here?

Made it to the immaculate temple, but the path is crumbled/blocked and I cna't find a way around it.

light all the torches. or phoenix dive / retreat / teleport your way to the path behind the wall and use a pyramid

Moff

I saved some tenebrium to craft my own weapons to fight the void demons. But it turns out crafted tenebrium weapons don't work apparently. I guess all I can do is keep playing and hope I find some actual tenebrium weapons laying around. Or just avoid those demons I guess.

aren't void demons invincible to any damage until you destroy the big bloodstone?
because the big blood stone is only damageable by tenebrium weapons and that definitely worked with crafted tenebrium weapons, I did it that way.

Goddamn. How was I supposed to know that?

by playing a lot of Zelda, I guess. there are even more puzzles with that solution in original sin :D

OmegaDL50

I guess the question was missed the first time.

I just finished
beating the lighthouse boss and sent the two cowardly soldiers back to town.

However returning to
Captain Aureus the Soldiers are trying to take credit for it. Is there any downsides If I claim I did all the work, rather then letting the Soldiers take credit for it?

Top Bottom