• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Durante

I'm so surprised that this is still the #1 seller on Steam. I was certain that it would last a day or two at best. And a 9/10 from Gameinformer of all sites too.

Moff

yup, I really hope we'll see a sequel now.

just like with MMX, anything I wish for a sequel, is more, more, more of everything.

Anyone help me with the Act 2/immaculates

did the initiation, found their base after using the portal, introduced to tenebrium weapons and ore, but stuck on what to do for quest purposes. Only hint I have is "investigate for Source".

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So uh... I have no idea what to do now.

Just got the spell to kill the death knights. Am i supposed to clear the mines now?

Also any idea where lawrence went? I exposed him but spared his life.

koji

Ok, I started over again last night, was only a few hours in anyway, feel more comfortable with my starting set up. (Rogue / Wizard, fire - earth)

Took me some time to get to know the gamesystems/UI a bit more, but I've played it for ten hours now and it's really starting to click. Learning curve isn't super steep but it's a lot on your plate when you start at first.

Most fun I've had with a game in quite some time. Been robbing people blind :lol

Dipper145

Really enjoying the game.

Not so much the way it deals with how I've done stuff out of order, and mentioning clues to stuff that I've already found out or dealt with. Been happening a lot lately.

Moff

So uh... I have no idea what to do now.

Just got the spell to kill the death knights. Am i supposed to clear the mines now?

Also any idea where lawrence went? I exposed him but spared his life.

talk to the white which about what you found.

you cant go back to the mines, they are destroyed

Levyne

Banned
Seems like parts of act 2 have really got people going in different directions. It's frustrating but in a good way I think. I just find myself exploring areas because I can and not because of a quest.

Eternia

Anyone help me with the Act 2/immaculates

did the initiation, found their base after using the portal, introduced to tenebrium weapons and ore, but stuck on what to do for quest purposes. Only hint I have is "investigate for Source".
Explore the land outside of the base, especially towards the
northwest, there's a temple

How do I get to Evelyn's lair ? I can't find the entrance to the beach..how do I even get to that area?
There is a cave
northeast of Cyseal, the other side will wrap around towards the lair

Chaos17

Finished the game after 60 hours and there are only 3 maps.
I was a bit over level up even if I didn't kill all the mobs around the temple.
I love the battle system but not the jar explorator and walk simulator that took most of my time.
But the story wasn't for me at all, I couldn't come to like it.
7/10

How do I get to Evelyn's lair ? I can't find the entrance to the beach..how do I even get to that area?
http://guides.gamepressure.com/divinityoriginalsin/

OmegaDL50

Finished the game after 60 hours and there are only 3 maps.
I was a bit over level up even if I didn't kill all the mobs around the temple.
I love the battle system but not the jar explorator and walk simulator that took most of my time.

http://guides.gamepressure.com/divinityoriginalsin/

Were you the one that wrote that guide? EDIT: Nevermind. I saw your post about
beating the game
and assumed you wrote the guide along with playing it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
36-hours in now.. making some sweet progress in Act 2. Currently in the middle of the
faery realm
which has some awesome environments and loot.. kind of struggling to figure out how to cure rot on one of my party members though.;_;

Antiwhippy

Pretty sure
hiberheim
is considered its own area, so 4 is accurate.

Also it should be its own area, seeing that it is pretty huge.

Moff

Same here, The rumor spread from the official Larian forums so I just took it as it was assumed the information as correct.

Sorry for the misinformation, folks.

well goblin, the user who finished it first here, also said
it was 4 maps and they were all equally fleshed out.
I can only guess they counted hiberheim as one of them, which probably makes sense because the savegames have their own names too.

but then I would have to disagree, because hiberheim certainly is not as fleshed out as the others.

Antiwhippy

I dunno man.
Hiberheim
might not be as large as the other areas but it's still pretty large. I don't think that it's unreasonable to consider it as a separate area.

Moff

I dunno man.
Hiberheim
might not be as large as the other areas but it's still pretty large. I don't think that it's unreasonable to consider it as a separate area.

sure, but if you see it like that,
hiberheim
is by very, very far the worst zone. no town, next to no npcs, very few, very simple quests. and certainly not as fleshed out as the others.

sure, but if you see it like that,
hiberheim
is by very, very far the worst zone. no town, next to no npcs, very few, very simple quests. and certainly not as fleshed out as the others.

Yeah,
Hiberheim
is definitely a part of Act 2, but it is not its own Act.

Cincaid

Just bought the game, made a Wizard and a Rogue, and just completed the "tutorial cave". I'm already thinking of making a new game, however, as the Rogue class wasn't that interesting to me. Is there any good guide on party setups, or should I just go with "what feels right"? I read somewhere that the two companions you later meet are specific classes, does that mean I'm wasting a slot by making a character of the same class? Some form of leveling guide would be great, I'm really not that used to advanced RPGs! :D

TheContact

I'm down for having your own opinion and expressing it but this guy states so much wrong information it makes it look like he never even played the game or he did in alpha and decided to review that version

Just bought the game, made a Wizard and a Rogue, and just completed the "tutorial cave". I'm already thinking of making a new game, however, as the Rogue class wasn't that interesting to me. Is there any good guide on party setups, or should I just go with "what feels right"? I read somewhere that the two companions you later meet are specific classes, does that mean I'm wasting a slot by making a character of the same class? Some form of leveling guide would be great, I'm really not that used to advanced RPGs! :D

Just go with what feels right but for some tips I'd say not to double up on specs. I.e. yes you do get a mage but he's focused on air and water. Keep investing him with those and have your mage go for like pyro and withcraft or something. Keep in mind later in the game you can hire new party members to replace the 2 you found in the city so if you're sick of a mage you can hire a warrior or something. There aren't really classes in this game tho, but don't spread your skills too thin. Also make sure you get the pet pals perk. It's like a built in help system but it's really cool

Moff

I feel wizard and rogue is very balanced, because the companions you get are a warrior and another wizard.

I turned my rogue into a ranger soon, though. this worked well, but I cant really say anything about rogue.

Noaloha

So, from the Eurogamer piece, Divinity: Original Sin Larian Studios' fastest-selling game ever, there was a part toward the end where Swen mentioned a license he's interested in for Larian's next game,

"Vincke then said he plans to try to obtain the license for a mystery role-playing franchise - but stopped short of saying what it was.

"There was a certain license we tried to get, but they haven't replied to us," he said. "Maybe now they will reply to us! I'm not going to tell you, because that will ruin the chances of me getting it.

"We asked them a couple of months ago, so we'll ask them again now. Maybe they'll be interested. It's in the RPG space, that's for sure.

"If they refuse to answer this time I'm going to put it in the press and then hopefully something will happen. Or I'll launch a Kickstarter and say, this is the game we want to make, but we don't have the license yet. But maybe we can get it this way."

In the Gamasutra article above, Swen says,

"Not many people remember, but one of our first games, which was cancelled during production because the publisher went bankrupt, was a game called The Lady, The Mage and The Knight," says Vincke. "We were trying this same multiplayer concept, and ever since it was cancelled we’ve been trying to remake that game."

Cancelled in 1999, The Lady, The Mage and The Knight was designed to be a three-player cooperative RPG based on the popular German role-playing game franchise Das Schwarze Auge, or "The Dark Eye."

I assume the point of the comment is to illustrate that they finally got to "remake that game" in the shape of D:OS but, reading between the lines, I can't help but wonder whether The Dark Eye might be the "mystery role-playing franchise" that Swen mentions to Eurogamer.

Shahadan

Can't remember the last time I woke up every day only looking forward to play again.

I'm nearing the end I think and I don't want it to be over ;_;

Sentenza

I assume the point of the comment is to illustrate that they finally got to "remake that game" in the shape of D:OS but, reading between the lines, I can't help but wonder whether The Dark Eye might be the "mystery role-playing franchise" that Swen mentions to Eurogamer.
Hum, maybe it is, but it seems weird that they would have problems getting it, since it's already licensed to a lot of other games from even less popular developers.

On a side note, I don't wan to be "that guy", crying over the "ruined metascore", but it's a bit shameful that the review dragging down the average on Metacritic comes from someone who obviously didn't even play the game and is using screenshots from a months-old alpha build: http://www.cheatcc.com/pc/rev/divinityoriginalsinreview.html

Moff

I loved the black eye games back as a kid, but I dont see a point in obtaining that franchise. I dont think those were good games because of the franchise, but because of the gameplay. the dark eye world itself is pretty generic and forgettable, in my opinion. so they might just as well continue to build the divinity franchise.

besides, there have been several new dark eye RPGS in the last few years, as wel as abysmal 3d remakes of the classics.

Cincaid

carfo and Moff, thank you for your answers! Guess I'll hang in with my party for now. :p

Though I'm scared I'll "waste points" when leveling up, is there a way to respec later in the game?

Noaloha

I'd rather Larian didn't continue to build the Divinity franchise, immediately anyway. I want to see what Larian do outside of Rivellon, especially if it's a passion piece as this mystery RPG franchise appears to be. On the back of D:OS's success however, it (on paper at least) probably makes a great deal of pure financial sense to slap 'Divinity' on their next few games.

I'd rather Larian didn't continue to build the Divinity franchise, immediately anyway. I want to see what Larian do outside of Rivellon, especially if it's a passion piece as this mystery RPG franchise appears to be. On the back of D:OS's success however, it (on paper at least) probably makes a great deal of pure financial sense to slap 'Divinity' on their next few games.

I read somewhere recently that they are looking to take over a well established rpg franchise and have reached out to the license holder with a proposal, which they are hoping the success of DOS will help a great deal with. I wish I could remember the source if I find it I'll post it here.

Edit: it's early in the morning , is see this is exactly what you were talking about. I'm an idiot.

TheContact

So pretty early on in the second map (minor spoilers)
I saw a group of Immaculate Students and a Teacher patrolling through the map, and the Teacher was going from point to point teaching the students (i.e. He was talking to them about the Waypoint portals), then they walked on a bridge loaded with mines and just kept walking on them until they all blew up. wtf? lol

Antiwhippy

So pretty early on in the second map (minor spoilers)
I saw a group of Immaculate Students and a Teacher patrolling through the map, and the Teacher was going from point to point teaching the students (i.e. He was talking to them about the Waypoint portals), then they walked on a bridge loaded with mines and just kept walking on them until they all blew up. wtf? lol

Haha, yeah, I was wondering if I was the only one who got that. Was bizarre.

koji

I feel wizard and rogue is very balanced, because the companions you get are a warrior and another wizard.

I turned my rogue into a ranger soon, though. this worked well, but I cant really say anything about rogue.

I've been having a lot of fun with my rogue stealing stuff and being a dork in town, can't say much about combat yet though, the backstabbing mechanic feels a bit clunky but I heard they start dishing out mad dps later on.

Moff

I've been having a lot of fun with my rogue stealing stuff and being a dork in town, can't say much about combat yet though, the backstabbing mechanic feels a bit clunky but I heard they start dishing out mad dps later on.

yeah I gave my ranger all the rogue "dirty deeds" skills like lockpicking, pickpocketing and sneaking.

pickpocketing can be fun and useful, but honestly any points in lockpicking and sneaking are absolutely wasted. sneaking is good enough with 0 zero skillppoints.
and lockpicking can only vey rarely be used, mostly you a) find a key nearby b) can simply bash the lock in c) the lock is unpickable/unbashable

koji

yeah I gave my ranger all the rogue "dirty deeds" skills like lockpicking, pickpocketing and sneaking.

pickpocketing can be fun and useful, but honestly any points in lockpicking and sneaking are absolutely wasted. sneaking is good enough with 0 zero skillppoints.
and lockpicking can only vey rarely be used
, mostly you a) find a key nearby b) can simply bash the lock in c) the lock is unpickable/unbashable

Good tips, thanks Moff! Only a few hours in myself.

Top Bottom