• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

DBT85

Thanks pyros

I've just noticed that I missed the tutorial dungeon as well. I was nicking stuff like paintings in the buildings when I could, and picking everything else up that I could. I've not bought anything yet though so that's probably not helping. I've done some of the quests in town I got
the amulet from Victoria for Eglandaer, I got the 3 sailors a job, got a hungry dude a fish, helped the apprentice work out what guy to save with her stone, helped the giant clam, put out the ship which was on fire.

Still loads to clear obviously. Just booted again to go through the tutorial dungeon because why not ;)

I tried to get the two handed warrior to join but my second char doesn't like her, and the mage was the same. I've now got Lone Wolf on my second char too.

Special C

I had a Tank/Cleric and a Archer/Geomancer at the start and got to about level 5 and decided to restart.

The bow damage is just abysmall, so I decided to make my Archer a 100% mage with Fire and Geo to compliment Jahan's Air and Water. I made my Cleric a Knight (though I'm going 1H/S instead of 2H so as not to complete with Madora for gear. I also decided I hate crafting in this game, so I'm putting no points into it and am just ignoring it completly.

A few questions:

Do I need one of my classess to have stealth? I gave my mage 7 perception to be the lead explorer but haven't invested in stealth

I gave my female character an AI, because it was weird for me roleplaying both, but it still had me do the dialog for both players. is there a setting I need to change?

Was it a bad idea to make a second mage instead of an Archer? I'm going to have to split mage gear between my main and Jahan, but I just can't get past how awful marksmanship has been.

I had a Tank/Cleric and a Archer/Geomancer at the start and got to about level 5 and decided to restart.

The bow damage is just abysmall, so I decided to make my Archer a 100% mage with Fire and Geo to compliment Jahan's Air and Water. I made my Cleric a Knight (though I'm going 1H/S instead of 2H so as not to complete with Madora for gear. I also decided I hate crafting in this game, so I'm putting no points into it and am just ignoring it completly.

A few questions:

Do I need one of my classess to have stealth? I gave my mage 7 perception to be the lead explorer but haven't invested in stealth

I gave my female character an AI, because it was weird for me roleplaying both, but it still had me do the dialog for both players. is there a setting I need to change?

Was it a bad idea to make a second mage instead of an Archer? I'm going to have to split mage gear between my main and Jahan, but I just can't get past how awful marksmanship has been.

Stealth is not worth imo. My char has like 1 stealth and it's more than enough.

A second mage with fire and geo is ideal.

Also you cant do anything regarding the dialogue, lots of time the game will still ask you to do both even with AI.

A few questions:

You don't need stealth. When you do kinda need it, the normal no point stealth is good enough and Air magic also gets invisibility(on self only) at 7 and invisibility for others are hmm 13 or something like that. Perception isn't really related to stealth. Should probably not level it, just save gear that buffs it to find secrets when a place looks kinda obvious. Might be useful for traps though but speed and most importantly int are much more valuable so don't know.

For the AI thing I think there's a setting in the options? Not sure. I thought AI prevented the double choices though, when I tried it the first double choice(the guy who jumped off the cliff on the starting beach) I didn't get to choose so assumed that's what it did.

Edit: Checked, there is an option in the Game category, Dialogue, disable dual dialogue. I think that lets you select dialogues only once.

Archers aren't necessary. No class is really. 2mages is fine, in fact I'd recommend 2mages simply because you kinda want to be able to cast every spell possible for each situations, so having 2 mages works out nicely for that. If you want to fire special arrows, keep a crappy low level bow and get an item that increases dex enough to equip it, arrows don't miss and since you're going for the special abilities over the damage, using a lvl 1 bow is fine. Think all you need for the low level bows is 6dex so easy to get. Archer gets a lot better later on but it starts pretty terrible, while mage starts very strong but doesn't scale quite as good(in damage, utility is still stellar so whatever).

Finalow

If your party dies it's the regular "Your party has been defeated" window.

Keeping Astarte alive was the biggest problem I had in the fight. By far.
yes that's the biggest problem especially in the first fight since
enemies could kill her in just one turn. a Death Knight killed her with 2 attacks (500 damage each) so yeah, rip. then I realized that they're summons and that I could one-shot them with a spell. (also should have focused on Leandra to begin with)
and to be honest
Death Knights > Void Dragon. I had Madora with 3k hp plus very high resistences and she tanked everything from the dragon but those knights almost killed her, they hit fucking hard.
not really hard fights though.

Stevey

yes that's the biggest problem especially in the first fight since
enemies could kill her in just one turn. a Death Knight killed her with 2 attacks (500 damage each) so yeah, rip. then I realized that they're summons and that I could one-shot them with a spell. (also should have focused on Leandra to begin with)
and to be honest
Death Knights > Void Dragon. I had Madora with 3k hp plus very high resistences and she tanked everything from the dragon but those knights almost killed her, they hit fucking hard.
not really hard fights though.

If you make different choices in the dialogue with Leandra before the fight (when you stand on the two switches to unlock the door when she appears) you don't even fight her, so there's no Death Knights

Myshkin

If you make different choices in the dialogue with Leandra before the fight (when you stand on the two switches to unlock the door when she appears) you don't even fight her, so there's no Death Knights

Really you should get a cheevo for fighting her. But you don't.

Maulik

Love the game but two major quibbles:

1)
Engine is terrible for pixel hunting and button pressing. Far too many times did I find myself stuck only to realize that I had missed a button hidden behind a bookcase that can only be seen if I rotated the camera. I'm all for rewarding attention to detail but it should be more about reading books and knowing what to look for rather than where on the exact screen.

2) obtuse log entries. I hate how some of the entries are so vague about how to trigger the next story event that many of the quests ended up falling by the wayside. Perfect example is when you get a vial of blood and all the log says is that now a character will tell us how to proceed. What the log leaves out is that if you fail to combine the vial with another item, the quest will not progress.

Finalow

oh, I didn't know that. if you don't fight her then that battle is a joke.

Gazoinks

You
can kill her, but she's a necromancer and you fight her in zombie form

Ha, that's awesome. Love when games account for alternate scenarios like that.

Love the openness of the game. I was hanging out at the Church, wandered south and west and ended up stumbling across a creepy place with a boss battle! Two of my dudes died. :D Also, I'm kind of surprised how good Spider is for a lv. 1 summon with no special abilities. He's come in handy a lot.

Eternia

I remember it crashing my game immediately after going through that route when I played. I could have had such an easier time. :p

DBT85

Ok back at it briefly this morning. Got a lot more thieving done, got into
Esmereldas back room and dungeon, found the knife and her book on the perfect murder.
Also found a chest somewhere with a riddle that points toward
the number zero,
but I don't know what to do with that information lol

Also, I can only seem to steal when there is someone in the area if I a) distract them and b) go stealth. For some reason I thought the distraction would suffice.

EDIT: Just got a text from my gf, shes not well so want's me to go over 3 hours later than planned. I'll have to sit and play this some more then!

Woo!
Lighthouse sorted, and got Jahan on board which helps.
Not sure how I'm allowed him when my second has Lone Wolf.
Managed to defeat the first set of trolls on the beach, but not got enough oomph yet to beat the large one and his cronies.

Wookieomg

Welp finally beat it, 108 hours later. Hell of a game! It's my first true foray into cRPG territory and quickly escalated to my top 3 contenders for GOTY so far. I'm gonna be recommending it to all my friends. Definitely eager for Project Eternity and Wasteland 2 now.

Final boss wasn't too bad, but was very time-consuming. As someone earlier in the thread mentioned, it felt like a raid with all the shit that you had to take care of or watch out for. Keeping Astarte healed, keeping party members healed, burning down the trash that big poppa dragon spawns, and then (in my case) keeping my armored undead decapitators alive and tanking the dragon.

And in my case, I spent about half of the dragon's health assuming you couldn't knock it down or stun it... so it became a lot easier when I realized you could. :p I just assumed since it was the boss of the game that common combat tactics like knocking it over to mercilessly beat the shit out of it wouldn't work cause.. well.. it's an other-dimensional dragon with the power to wipe out all of everything, but hey, whatever. lol.

Awesome game. :D

xenist

I'm trying to be good, I really am... but nobody will miss that painting right? So easy...so valuable.....

Don't worry about money. It's absolutely trivial, past the opening. I finished the game with a couple of hundred thousand gold and I stopped looting anything below blue for the last 25% of it.

Nete

Welp finally beat it, 108 hours later. Hell of a game! It's my first true foray into cRPG territory and quickly escalated to my top 3 contenders for GOTY so far. I'm gonna be recommending it to all my friends. Definitely eager for Project Eternity and Wasteland 2 now.

Final boss wasn't too bad, but was very time-consuming. As someone earlier in the thread mentioned, it felt like a raid with all the shit that you had to take care of or watch out for. Keeping Astarte healed, keeping party members healed, burning down the trash that big poppa dragon spawns, and then (in my case) keeping my armored undead decapitators alive and tanking the dragon.

And in my case, I spent about half of the dragon's health assuming you couldn't knock it down or stun it... so it became a lot easier when I realized you could. :p I just assumed since it was the boss of the game that common combat tactics like knocking it over to mercilessly beat the shit out of it wouldn't work cause.. well.. it's an other-dimensional dragon with the power to wipe out all of everything, but hey, whatever. lol.

Awesome game. :D

The dragon is *very* vulnerable to crowd control skills. On my game I kept him on perma stun (or frozen when somehow my lightning skills failed to stun him). Actually, with enough action points you can also keep his mobs permanently out of combat (lovely teleports + boulder bash).

Easy peasy, but at the same time was a bit disappointing :p

DagsJT

Best setting to drop to stop my GTX 680 running at 100% usage on Ultra settings? I'll have to change to Custom settings but not sure which setting is hammering my GPU the most.

xXBaconXx

Banned
Best setting to drop to stop my GTX 680 running at 100% usage on Ultra settings? I'll have to change to Custom settings but not sure which setting is hammering my GPU the most.

What resolution are you running at? I'm playing on ultra with a 680, and I rarely go over 90% GPU usage. I have bloom disabled, but I highly doubt that would have a significant impact on performance.

DagsJT

What resolution are you running at? I'm playing on ultra with a 680, and I rarely go over 90% GPU usage. I have bloom disabled, but I highly doubt that would have a significant impact on performance.

I probably should've said that. Running at 1080p, although I have just noticed that it's only allowing the game to run at 120hz with no option to run at 1080p 60hz.

Edit: Used the Nvidia control panel to force 60fps and much better now.

DBT85

Fwiw I'm running at 2500*1600 on a Radeon 6950 clocked to 6970 on ultra and it's running beautifully. Triple buffered and capped at 60.

Gazoinks

Anyone know if destroying chests does anything to the loot? I'm carrying this locked chest around with me, because I'm not sure if it's safe to explode.

Myshkin

I like how an enemy can drop a scroll, then nothing bad happens even if I get a fireball itch. Larian understands what irritates players. They really made a lot of good decisions.

Conezays

So I know this is a stupid question, but how do you get branches? I can only seem to get wooden stakes or wood piles out of a log. Subsequently, where do I find more logs around Cysael?

So I know this is a stupid question, but how do you get branches? I can only seem to get wooden stakes or wood piles out of a log. Subsequently, where do I find more logs around Cysael?

Use a
hatchet/hand axe
on a log to get branches and woodchips. 2branches per logs I believe. As for logs, vendors, random drops, nowhere specifically.

Main gripe I think I would have right now is how crappy the crafting system is. Don't like it. I just now just sold all my crafting material for the gold and said f it. Dunno what it is, maybe just way too many materials involved, dunno.

Also, I am finding myself in an area with lv. 12-15 enemies and im only level 8-9 lol. I must have zigged when I should have zagged somewhere but the game really gives you very little direction and I'm just off exploring, so im likely in a much later area again just like my last playthrough.

Special C

Don't worry about money. It's absolutely trivial, past the opening. I finished the game with a couple of hundred thousand gold and I stopped looting anything below blue for the last 25% of it.

Glad you said that befiore I started playing today. Would have wasted that skill point on bartering.

Labadal

Finally done.
Other than not so great writing and some annoying puzzles, I must say that I loved the game. I am so glad that I backed this game.

I am so lost.

No quest makers and being so open ended is causing problems for me. I usually love open world games but I can't find anything. I have like 13 quests from the first city and no idea where to go for any of them.

Okay, I'm losing my mind trying to find a quest item. Any help would be appreciated. End of chapter 2 spoilers:

I've completed all of Luculla and am ready to move into the Phantom Forest, however I can't find the Destroy Death Knight spell scroll to combine with the vial of blood. I have the blood and I've gone back into the mines to the laboratory area where the spell scroll is supposed to be and I can't find it. I know I didn't pick it up the first time I went through the area because I would remember it, but I've painstakingly gone through everyone's inventory just to be sure and its not there. Can anyone specifically say where the scroll is supposed to be in the lab / give coordinates / post a screen shot? I'm getting super annoyed.

chadtwo

Hey so I'm really sorry if this has already been answered a thousand times in this thread (it probably has) but seeing as I don't see an answer in the OP, I'll ask it here: How crucial is co-op to this game? In other words, can I play through the game single-player and not lose out significantly on the experience?

Terra_Ex

Okay, I'm losing my mind trying to find a quest item. Any help would be appreciated. End of chapter 2 spoilers:

I've completed all of Luculla and am ready to move into the Phantom Forest, however I can't find the Destroy Death Knight spell scroll to combine with the vial of blood. I have the blood and I've gone back into the mines to the laboratory area where the spell scroll is supposed to be and I can't find it. I know I didn't pick it up the first time I went through the area because I would remember it, but I've painstakingly gone through everyone's inventory just to be sure and its not there. Can anyone specifically say where the scroll is supposed to be in the lab / give coordinates / post a screen shot? I'm getting super annoyed.
iirc, it's in the Death Knight mines, in the area encased in a large blue bubble (you'll know it when you see it.)
Skip to 12:45 of this video for the exact location http://youtu.be/XNGGnletwXU?t=12m45s

Hey so I'm really sorry if this has already been answered a thousand times in this thread (it probably has) but seeing as I don't see an answer in the OP, I'll ask it here: How crucial is co-op to this game? In other words, can I play through the game single-player and not lose out significantly on the experience?
Perfectly playable without co-op, you won't feel like you're missing out and thanks to the AI personality system, you'll still have a very interesting experience in single player. Played through the whole thing solo myself and I wouldn't have it any other way.

chadtwo

Perfectly playable without co-op, you won't feel like you're missing out and thanks to the AI personality system, you'll still have a very interesting experience in single player. Played through the whole thing solo myself and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Awesome, thanks!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
FINALLY

IT'S OVER OH MY GOD THE FINAL BATTLE WAS INTENSE AS HELL spoilers below

for the void dragon me and my friend set up this amazing combo, where i would buff him with immunity to stuns and freeze then i'd run away so i wouldn't get in combat (my initiative was too high and we needed my friend to go first), then he'd run in and nullify the void dragons resists. When his resists were at nill I'd have Jahan oath me, haste me and port me down below and summon an undead decapitator. Then once that's done I walked up a tiny bit quick saved, and used meteor shower, we reloaded about 4 times until we got the meteors to land in perfect positon for maximum damage. Finally we managed to do ~6700 damage to him on a turn 3 meteor shower, the undead decapitator would soak up hits for astarde and then we set up the worlds biggest flurry, with more quick save reload bullshit we kept reloading until the knock down worked then i buffed the hell out of my friend and we flurry crit him for 2600, from there he was killable like normal. So much cheese, and on top of that we used our stupid vase trick for the previous fight with leandra.

Gazoinks

After 18 hours, finally made it to town #2, and I'm still not done in Cyseal. Haven't even beat the final boss there!

Also, the "brothel" in Silverglen? Amazing.

xenist

FINALLY

IT'S OVER OH MY GOD THE FINAL BATTLE WAS INTENSE AS HELL spoilers below

for the void dragon me and my friend set up this amazing combo, where i would buff him with immunity to stuns and freeze then i'd run away so i wouldn't get in combat (my initiative was too high and we needed my friend to go first), then he'd run in and nullify the void dragons resists. When his resists were at nill I'd have Jahan oath me, haste me and port me down below and summon an undead decapitator. Then once that's done I walked up a tiny bit quick saved, and used meteor shower, we reloaded about 4 times until we got the meteors to land in perfect positon for maximum damage. Finally we managed to do ~6700 damage to him on a turn 3 meteor shower, the undead decapitator would soak up hits for astarde and then we set up the worlds biggest flurry, with more quick save reload bullshit we kept reloading until the knock down worked then i buffed the hell out of my friend and we flurry crit him for 2600, from there he was killable like normal. So much cheese, and on top of that we used our stupid vase trick for the previous fight with leandra.

The flexibility of this game's combat system is insane. There must be about a dozen valid strategies in fights.

DBT85

Use a
hatchet/hand axe
on a log to get branches and woodchips. 2branches per logs I believe. As for logs, vendors, random drops, nowhere specifically.

Does it show you that you'll get branches at the same time as the chips, or after? Only I think I tried that combo and it only showed that I'd get woodchips, so I backed out.

I am so lost.

No quest makers and being so open ended is causing problems for me. I usually love open world games but I can't find anything. I have like 13 quests from the first city and no idea where to go for any of them.

Ask away.

I'm a little worried as I was reading much earlier in the thread last night and someone mentioned writing extensive notes while playing and I've written precisely nothing so far. lol

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I am so lost.

Here is my advice, don't play the areas to 100% completion, just keep moving the main story along and things will fall into place. When I finished I still had like 8 or so unfinished quests in my journal. The game doesn't really require notes or anything but it does require you to pay attention and read the dialogue a few times. They kind of basically tell you what to do most of the time, but the hard part is having the context to do it so they might talk about things you haven't encountered yet. Best thing to is to just keep moving doing other stuff, fighting dudes getting spells etc etc and you'll eventually stumble onto what you're supposed to do.

It's a long game so take your time, and think outside the box.

Gazoinks

So how viable is hybridizing characters in this game? I'm really tempted to give Madora some Aero because it seems like it synergizes well with melee, but she's my only melee character so I don't want her to fall behind as a tank/bruiser.

Labadal

So how viable is hybridizing characters in this game? I'm really tempted to give Madora some Aero because it seems like it synergizes well with melee, but she's my only melee character so I don't want her to fall behind as a tank/bruiser.

I made one of my melee fighters focus on melee and tanking, plus healing spells. Making him a paladin style character. I used Madora as my main damage dealer and taught her Witchcraft spells.

Hybrids work really well as long as you know what you are doing.

DBT85

Finally played with the crafting a bit more, make a pizza, and an apple pie, and a bazillion arrows. That brances not stacking in the bag was a ballache, had to manually click about 15 to make them all into arrow shafts.

Also used a whetstone and an anvil and a furnace for the first time. Very nice effect!

sflufan

Banned
After 106 hours, I have finally completed Divinity: Original Sin in its entirety!

Whew! That was one long-ass game, but was it EVER worth it! Such an absolutely charming game in just about every respect! Easily my GOTY so far and I can see that the mainstream gaming press will have it in contention for their GOTY awards too -- wouldn't that be something if a Kickstarter-backed title won?!?

It definitely set the bar high for Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

It works well but you kind of need the gear to support it. So like if you're hybridizing a character who is heavy str you'll wanna get int gear to be able to use the aero spells without penalty.

Gazoinks

It works well but you kind of need the gear to support it. So like if you're hybridizing a character who is heavy str you'll wanna get int gear to be able to use the aero spells without penalty.

Oh yeah, that's a good point. I'm early enough in (just hit 10) that I should be able to pick some stuff up without too much trouble. It's already paid off, as Become Air is a sweet buff, Shocking Touch is handy, and an extra teleport is always good. Looking forward to grabbing Lightning Strike the net time I have money.

Top Bottom