• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Special C

There is really no effecient way to us emultiple consumables before entering combat is there? They run out so fast as soon as you cast them.

pronk420

so i read that this runs ok on the 2013 macbook air (intel hd 5000, 8gb ram, i7) so I bought it, and it actually runs pretty terribly..

is there some particular setting I can use to make it bearable? even on very low it doesn't feel smooth.

Did anyone else kill the troll king before talking to the troll with his son. After telling him I killed the king, he thanked me, crowned himself the new king, left with his son, and gave me free passage.

Glad to have found that solution. I didn't want to have to end up fighting him.

Edit: Another fun thing I did. In Sacred Stone, I feather dropped the guards into an empty cell, cast ice wall to make sure the prisoners wouldn't run past the cell and trigger a fight with the guards, and manage to free the slaves without anyone knowing.

Lingitiz

Just now getting to what seems to be the end game after about 60 hours in. I love the game a lot, even if some of the obscure stuff really frustrates me at times. Its really satisfying to get through parts without a guide, but I do wish some puzzles and pixel hunt-y things were more intuitive.

Still, only a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things. This is still without a doubt one of the better RPGs released in the last few years.

Ourobolus

Banned
Is there any guide or something that help me find all playable characters?
There are only two named recruits, and they are both in the first town and are recruitable the moment you get there.

The others are henchmen that you'll just pick from a dude that you'll meet later. Can't really miss him.

There are only two named recruits, and they are both in the first town and are recruitable the moment you get there.

The others are henchmen that you'll just pick from a dude that you'll meet later. Can't really miss him.

only find madora so where is the other one? btw thanks for your help

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
About 10 hours in so far, and am running with a wizard, warrior, and cleric at the moment, which is working out pretty well. Kinda nice that big packs of enemies don't seem to notice my wizard creeping up and making a huge oil slick in front of them before lobbing a fireball their way to get their attention. Works out pretty well since then battle starts and my wizard gets her turn again where I can ignite the oil, possibly burning more baddies and making a massive smoke screen for my party.

At this point, my melee characters don't really have a lot to do other than clean up on what few enemies make it through the vast field of fire in front of them.

Still, good times are being had. Sort of on the fence about what class to go for with my fourth character. Maybe another wizard or a battle mage, possibly a knight.

In any case, such an interesting game. It's fun just exploring and coming across all sorts of little areas, characters, and the like.

DBT85

About 10 hours in so far, and am running with a wizard, warrior, and cleric at the moment, which is working out pretty well. Kinda nice that big packs of enemies don't seem to notice my wizard creeping up and making a huge oil slick in front of them before lobbing a fireball their way to get their attention. Works out pretty well since then battle starts and my wizard gets her turn again where I can ignite the oil, possibly burning more baddies and making a massive smoke screen for my party.

Why don't you ignite the oil as the thing that starts the battle, rather than shooting one of them and then igniting it?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Why don't you ignite the oil as the thing that starts the battle, rather than shooting one of them and then igniting it?

Seems to be a free turn as I'm hidden on the initial fireball, pre-battle plus the additional one after the battle commences. It squeezes a bit more damage in I find.

Seanspeed

Banned
As much as I'm enjoying much of the game so far(only 5 hours in), the 'role playing' aspect seems to be completely destroyed by the fact that my partner keeps disagreeing with me and winning arguments(by a game of luck, WTF?) so that any choices I make get overturned and I'm put into shitty situations like fighting people I don't want to fight and getting into trouble over it.

What the fuck is up with that? Do I have to restart the entire game if I don't want this nonsense?

Any other game-ruining things I need to avoid if I do have to restart? I *really* dislike restarting games and having 5 hours of my time thrown down the toilet.

dsk1210

As much as I'm enjoying much of the game so far(only 5 hours in), the 'role playing' aspect seems to be completely destroyed by the fact that my partner keeps disagreeing with me and winning arguments(by a game of luck, WTF?) so that any choices I make get overturned and I'm put into shitty situations like fighting people I don't want to fight and getting into trouble over it.

What the fuck is up with that? Do I have to restart the entire game if I don't want this nonsense?

Any other game-ruining things I need to avoid if I do have to restart? I *really* dislike restarting games and having 5 hours of my time thrown down the toilet.

Ah dd you choose an AI for the other character? I control both and just agree on what I want :)

Seanspeed

Banned
Ah dd you choose an AI for the other character? I control both and just agree on what I want :)
Yea, I chose an AI. I didn't know that it would lead to them being able to overturn choices I make and get me into trouble over it, though. Just figured it would 'color' their dialogue and feelings towards things.

Right now, I'm dealing with it by reloading a save and hoping to get a different outcome in the rock/paper/scissors game, but its really not ideal.

Special C

The fix to that is to use the person who has the AI to initiate the conversation. You will choose for that character and then you will be able to select for the other one, assuming you didn't give it an AI too. If so you can still try initiating with a different person for different results. You always get to choose for the character you have selected when you initiate conversation.

Noaloha

The problem with that fix though is that it involves knowing in advance that a dialog will contain an RPS battle, unless you permanently start using your other Source Hunter as the face character. :p

There's also a rock-paper-scissors exploit that might work if it's really pissing you off. Fair warning, there's every chance it won't actually work within a dialog involving the two Source Hunters. I've only ever tried it when RPSing with NPCs. Still, give it a go (unless someone else comes in and confirms that it won't function).

Select your desired outcome in the pre-RPS dialog box then, when the RPS game starts, select someone else's character portrait on the left side of the screen (so that you, the player, leave the dialog box), then switch back to your first character. If it functions like with NPCs, you'll auto-win the argument.

Seanspeed

Banned
The fix to that is to use the person who has the AI to initiate the conversation. You will choose for that character and then you will be able to select for the other one, assuming you didn't give it an AI too. If so you can still try initiating with a different person for different results. You always get to choose for the character you have selected when you initiate conversation.
I did pick AI's for both characters. It was never explained to me the consequences of what choosing AI meant whatsoever. I don't mind games that don't hold your hand, but systems that are just plain not explained whatsoever are a bit annoying.

The problem with that fix though is that it involves knowing in advance that a dialog will contain an RPS battle, unless you permanently start using your other Source Hunter as the face character. :p

There's also a rock-paper-scissors exploit that might work if it's really pissing you off. Fair warning, there's every chance it won't actually work within a dialog involving the two Source Hunters. I've only ever tried it when RPSing with NPCs. Still, give it a go (unless someone else comes in and confirms that it won't function).

Select your desired outcome in the pre-RPS dialog box then, when the RPS game starts, select someone else's character portrait on the left side of the screen (so that you, the player, leave the dialog box), then switch back to your first character. If it functions like with NPCs, you'll auto-win the argument.
I'll give it a go.

For now, I think I'm actually becoming ok with just reloading if I don't get the outcome I want. I've learned I can quicksave on the dialogue screen, so it really only costs me a minute or so at most, which is entirely bearable.

Copons

Guys, may I ask you about something?

I'm pretty far in the game and I'm thinking of respeccing one of my characters that grew a little bit randomly throughout the game.
Now, he's mostly a Man-at-Arms and I'd like to maintain a couple of his skills I use the most.
I went searching for Man-at-Arms skillbooks vendors (
the fire guy in the Homestead and Aureus in Cyseal
) and with great disappointment I noticed none of them actually has the skillbook I'm most interested in.

So, considering the random/permanent nature of vendors, am I screwed and, if I want to respec, I'll have to do without that skill?

DMiz

King Boreas
is killing me man :(

Did you already destroy the
4 statues surrounding him? King Boreas is subject to the 'dialogue lock' abuse as much as anybody else. Just have someone initiate the dialogue with him, and then go around breaking the statues until they're all gone.

I found it made the battle infinitely easier since it removes his elemental absorptions. Just make sure after you clear the statues, you bunch up on a corner island to avoid the bleed-through of elemental damage.

Ourobolus

Banned
Guys, may I ask you about something?

I'm pretty far in the game and I'm thinking of respeccing one of my characters that grew a little bit randomly throughout the game.
Now, he's mostly a Man-at-Arms and I'd like to maintain a couple of his skills I use the most.
I went searching for Man-at-Arms skillbooks vendors (
the fire guy in the Homestead and Aureus in Cyseal
) and with great disappointment I noticed none of them actually has the skillbook I'm most interested in.

So, considering the random/permanent nature of vendors, am I screwed and, if I want to respec, I'll have to do without that skill?
If you are specifically looking for Whirlwind, you won't find it. There's only one book in the game.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Actually kind of tempted to start over and make a completely evil party. Usually I'm a goodie two-shoes in games with ethical decisions, but after opting to
off that lady in the bathhouse
I'm feeling inclined to be a bad guy. Probably start with a warrior and a witch, then see about recruiting a cleric and shadowblade later. I just need to see in the AI options just how evil characters can be. If need be, I'll go with the full control option so that my party members aren't arguing and overturning decisions constantly, but it would be nice if I can have some AI where either both characters are thoroughly enjoying their evil ways as fallen Source Hunters, or are at least questioning themselves because of the atrocities that they commit. Just not sure if the AI is sophisticated enough to handle that.

If I dismiss a hireling, do I have to pay for them again at the recruiter in the End of Time if I want them to join my party again at a later time?

Noaloha

I'm seeing a 152MB patch, no notes yet sadly.

EDIT: Ha, I should have waited one minute..

==================================

Update V1.0.130
Community Announcements - Larian_Octaaf 17:58
Hi everyone,

This update mostly brings some overdue fixes on the code and balancing side of things, although there are some small improvements to UI as well. Several story and ganeplay fixes have also been incorporated.

We've also done some re-balancing in the Dark Forrest area, which should hopefully make things a little more difficult.

You can check out the full changelist below:

V1.0.130:

Code fixes:

Leech only works in your turn
Rotation corruption fix in savegames
Unique object fix
Allow resurrect skills when vision is blocked
Added level names to localization
Added combination stats to loca parser
Added journal to loca parser
Fixed loca parsing paths
Localization of secrets fixed
Fixed bleeding damage scale
Next character in UI follows order of the character chain
Localized level names in lobby
No more invisible armour after character creation
No more double dialog log line after load
Ability, talent and stat tooltips in character creation take level into account
Fixed combinations with skulls, bones and sinew
Fixed henchman rotation in henchman ui
Updated Iggy, support for a fallback font
Fixed faulty dialog cleanup
Fixed bad savegame crash, now throws an error
Updated Troll and deamon voices to be more brutal
Tuned texture streamer to fix some objects using a lower resolution than needed
Texture streamer is more responsive now
Fixed players not getting the kick or refused connection message
Fixed character "walking through walls" when experiencing connection problems

Mac specific:

Fixed story random problem
Fixed memory crash
OpenGL experimental mode
Fixes to OpenGL renderer
Using ‘Terminal’ app you can now enable following tweaks:
1) Precise mouse tracking for low-end systems and for ‘touch’ to click functionality: defaults write com.larian.dos DelayMouseClicks -bool true
2) Completely disable any ‘bleeding’ notification centre popups: defaults write com.larian.dos DisablePopups -bool true
3) Enable performance GL tweaks: defaults write com.larian.dos EnableExperimentalGL -bool true

User Interface:

Added sorting in trade UI
No graphical artefact in scrolling of saveload, options, ...
Player portraits chain fix
Panel position reset fix
Improved long text visibility in dropdown menus
Enlarged container UI limit

Story and gameplay:

Made summons a bit less interesting for default targeting (AI)
Totem should not debuff specializations
Clarified error message during character creation when you don't have required skills or talents
Fixed end dialog on some dialogs
Added sound effect to burning ship
Fixed quest lose condition of burning ship
Removed burning status when ship is destroyed
Fixed the gossip keyword
Fixed philospohy of death, book and quest
Fixed Snorri tomb icon
Moved William water well, he got back at the wrong location
Fixed the prison key, it used to lie on the ground but now it's in the guards pocket
Hiberheim watcher synchronizaiton fix, the trap is always in sync now
Lawrence and Nadia dialog fix
Removed Free personality, changed Spirit to Free Spirit personality
These are all combat fixes, also most DF characters have been remade with new root templates because the level override didn't always work
turn ramon's chest indestructable

Note: for story and gameplay fixes, it is possible that a new game has to be started since not all story fixes can be pushed into existing savegames.

Editor fixes:

Fixed painting terrain corruption
Fixed ai grid save problem
Fixed problem with loading certain mods
Fixed crash when entering game mode
Crash fix in script parsing

Seanspeed

Banned
Yay.

So I've found that not only is this game very difficult, but dying is punished quite harshly, given that the ONLY way to resurrect somebody is with a scroll. Why did they think that was a good idea? It basically necessitates quitting and reloading anytime somebody dies. There should be a spell or a somebody in the city or something that can resurrect a fallen teammate for a small fee.

Ourobolus

Banned
Yay.

So I've found that not only is this game very difficult, but dying is punished quite harshly, given that the ONLY way to resurrect somebody is with a scroll. Why did they think that was a good idea? It basically necessitates quitting and reloading anytime somebody dies. There should be a spell or a somebody in the city or something that can resurrect a fallen teammate for a small fee.

There is a spell, it's just a level 16 spell :/

Noaloha

Yay.

If a death happens, you kind of just resurrect through it mid-battle asap to avoid missing out on EXP, carry on with the fight, then replace used scrolls when you're in town. This lasts for about half the game, at which point you become fairly overpowered and generally steamroll the later areas. And, again, this is only if dying is a problem for you early on. If you die a *lot*, that's indicative of strategy/build/area issues probably and can be avoided.

Sentenza

Yay.

There are scrolls in overabundance and quite frankly the game is entirely manageable without ever using them.
I don't. Never. Well, nothing peculiar with this game, actually, since I don't like resurrection mechanics in general. It's one of my old fixations with the genre: "It isn't a fight i actually beat if I don't end it with everyone alive".

Gazoinks

Made summons a bit less interesting for default targeting (AI)
Nice! Larian's really done a great job of polishing this game up post-release. Has there been any word on the companions?

Noaloha

nooooooooooooo

Yesssssss! :p

That, coupled with the AI ignoring summons a little bit more are the two easy+broken things I wanted to see altered. Waaay too easy to build yourself an impossible-to-kill frontliner or perma-tank enemies with expendable elementals.

EDIT: should qualify that actually by saying I've not actually tested to see if I like the adjustment in balance. Plus, obviously its a bit of a bummer for anyone who's sunk 60 hours into a playthrough that's revolved around a certain play-style. Just a bit of a bummer though, not the end of the world. Probably just means that you haven't broken the combat now. Hopefully.

Durante

I just noticed something I've never seen before. When you craft an axe, there are actually 2 different outcomes you can (randomly?) get. One with a higher base damage, and one with a higher critical chance. Probably the same for other weapons?

Found a new bug with this patch. When I load my game all my characters seem to start with 40% health regardless of what their health was when the game was saved.

Noaloha

Found a new bug with this patch. When I load my game all my characters seem to start with 40% health regardless of what their health was when the game was saved.

The game isn't including +HP and +CON from gear when it calculates a character's current hit point quantity on game load, yet it does calculate it for max hit points, hence the HP bars showing 'damage'. One of several patch bugs, hopefully hotfixed out within a day or three.

DBT85

Got my new game started. All the battles so far have seemed much easier than I remember so clearly I got something right.

Just picked up Jahan, not gone to the
end of time yet.
Noticed Evelyn's locked house, don't remember seeing it before lol.

Crushing fist is awesome. Ended up with leech and bully on my warrior, as with battering ram and crashing fist he can deal some good damage.

Panel position reset fix

These are all awesome, but:

Leech only works in your turn

This is very sad. :(

I agree that it's not a particularly great design decision, but it's actually only a real restriction for a few levels. By level 5 the rez scrolls are cheap and you can buy 10-20 more after every level up just by going back around to all the vendors whose inventories have reset. After a while you'll have more than you'll ever need.

duckroll

I feel terrible that I still haven't finished the game. I completed pretty much every quest available and found the final boss battle a bit too hard, so I decided to go around cleaning up random mobs for exp, and then stopped playing for a while and haven't gone back to it since. >_<

Labadal

I feel terrible that I still haven't finished the game. I completed pretty much every quest available and found the final boss battle a bit too hard, so I decided to go around cleaning up random mobs for exp, and then stopped playing for a while and haven't gone back to it since. >_<
I used summons to distract the boss.
My tank lured the other enemies to him.
My ranger used barrage and some other attack I forget the name of.
Jahan used air magic to stun the boss as much as possible.
Madora did a little bit of everything.

It was more time consuming than difficult, imo.

Noaloha

Some comments from Lar and crew this morning on the official forums,

====================================

Lar posted,

We're alive, just so incredibly busy. Between working on our future games and continuing to support D:OS, there's surprisingly little time.

We introduced the cap and increased the difficulty near the ending somewhat because we saw a lot of people complain the game became too easy. The common pattern among the character builds we received from those people was that they had several of their resistances over 100%. To be fair, we're not too big fans of caps either, but introducing it seemed the lesser of a few possible evils.
The alternative is to not have a cap and make it a lot harder to ever reach such high resistances, but that'll require bigger changes. If your character build is focussed on getting your resistances over 100%, a change like this will obviously affect you more than if you just started playing the game and I can understand that may be frustrating. Our goal remains entertaining players and if it turns out the cap is not having the desired effect, we'll adapt our approach. (edit) I need to add to this that the resistance cap is part of a bigger balancing change we're working on, and it may be that we released it a bit too soon.

As to any bugs that may be introduced by an update, I'm afraid that's almost inevitable. D:OS is a huge game. If a tester start testing an 80 hour game on monday morning, that tester will only be finished on the friday evening of the next week. And that's just one iteration in which one tester made one set of choices. He or she didn't see what would've happened had other choices been made. On top of that, if the tester encounters a serious bug during those 80 hours, it first needs to be fixed, and then the testing process needs to be restarted. The net result is that it's impossible test all paths and so things will slip through.

The only way we can reduce slip-ups is by taking more time to test (as in several weeks to months) but I'm of the opinion that it's better to update regularly at the risk of occasionally missing out on something than to update slowly and cover all your bases. While the former approach has some risk, you do help more people more rapidly. In the latter approach you have has less risk but you have larger groups affected for a longer time by whatever happens to be the issue.

There's no perfect solution unfortunately, so whenever we'll update, there is a risk that something goes wrong. However, we will try to fix it as fast as we can and we do spend lot of time ensuring nothing fundamental can get broken by an update.

'Larian QA' then subsequently posted,

There will be a hotfix today that fixes:
- hp bug on load
- changes to resistance cap that were supposed to be in the patch but did not make it in (zombie talent fix, can go over cap with potions and temporary effects from spells)

Top Bottom