• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

tokkun

Maybe. It depends on the buff levels provided by the randomly generated gear that you find and what you already invested into your character. Someone already posted that they had lower damage output than with the previous class so they switched back, a situation that I am also experiencing.

I only ended up using Tenebrium on 2-handed weapons. For all the rest, I had better weapons that were non-Tenebrium. There are some unique non-Tenebrium weapons that are still good at the end of the game.

Myshkin

Is it worth putting points in sneak if you are playing a dagger rogue? The damage boost from guerilla seems nice, but I can't tell if it's more efficient than just pumping points into one-handed.

Sneak is overrated.
For 5 points from ability/gear you get a 4/3 damage, a 33% increase.
Meanwhile, 5 points in a weapon ability gets you 50%.
And the sneak only works when you can sneak, and you spend a talent on guerilla.
OTOH sneak can work with all the physical damage weapons, but you only mention using daggers.
It's okay to put points into Sneak in addition to Tenebrium. And you should have the points, unless you get keen on Willpower and other things.

Finalow

Save your game and use some blood stones and see if you unlock anything else in the End of Time.
If you haven't unlocked everything at the End of Time then you don't have all the star stones. There are more star stones available than there are rooms. Do you have any unused Bloodstones sitting in your inventory?
as I already wrote, I've used all 14 of them. if this is a bug I'm going to be very annoyed.

Yasae

Banned
Good video by Matt Lees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9liA6eze5BE&list=PLswVJ_e2AEzlrULSPhdAcGm7hoNYFdCeN

Not a review, really...more of a general discussion of the game and some relevant commentary about the great late 90s golden age of RPGs.
Ah yes, the talking head quest. The problem with that one is the lack of options; if you fail the RPS challenge, you can't complete it without basically cheating.

This makes no sense because it's ONE option where there could at least be two (a bribe would have been an obvious choice, for example).

Shouta

Finished my Two lone wolf run a few nights ago. Raising Resistances is so important in the game and it made pretty much everything a breeze because I was healing instead of taking damage in most situations, lol.

I respecced a few times though because It was really annoying to have a Rogue/Ranger in a duo. Much more doable to have two spellcasting melees.

Stevey

Currently at the last battle,
Void Dragon
is kicking my ass a bit, gonna try it a few more times tonight.

Finalow

Is The End of Time currently under attack? Did you complete the portal closing quest in Luculla Forest? I don't really know what else it would be.
yes, I've also done that.

I don't know, might be that fact that I can't find the imp zyxx or whatever he's called at the end of time? Not sure where he went. everyone else is there.

tokkun

Currently at the last battle,
Void Dragon
is kicking my ass a bit, gonna try it a few more times tonight.

I kept summoning creatures on both of his flanks. He will preferentially attack the summons most of the time and the AoE will go to his sides, so it took a lot of pressure off my characters.

Also, try charming the minions.

Finalow

there actually are 16 star stones in total, not 14. I guess I'll try to pick up the last two.
where's this?
*Source temple behind a mirror.
couldn't find any mirror in the part before the locked door.

DMiz

Finished my Two lone wolf run a few nights ago. Raising Resistances is so important in the game and it made pretty much everything a breeze because I was healing instead of taking damage in most situations, lol.

I respecced a few times though because It was really annoying to have a Rogue/Ranger in a duo. Much more doable to have two spellcasting melees.

I was actually really fed-up with my lady ranger with my second play-through. For the first two areas she was great and really powerful: elemental arrows were getting dropped in such high amounts that she served as an auxilliary mage.

But by the time I was hitting the last couple of areas, my melee-focused wizard was doing so much damage and had such tactical variety with respect to his options (e.g. go in for a solid strike, cast a surface to block off choke-points, heal, etc) that it rendered her completely useless.

It doesn't help that I didn't figure out how to craft bows until way too late into the game, so her damage output suffered greatly for a large chunk of
Hunter's Edge

Stevey

Finished it just now, Steam says 75 hours, but I know a few of them were AFK.

there actually are 16 star stones in total, not 14. I guess I'll try to pick up the last two.
where's this?
*Source temple behind a mirror.
couldn't find any mirror in the part before the locked door.

There's a
broken mirror if you keep going past the button that opens the wall that leads to the locked door.

I could use some help/hints. I'm doing the quest where I'm supposed to go
through the mines, but I obviously can't kill the Dread Lords in there. I've done all other quests in that area except for the rift one. I have no idea how to kill those enemies either. I tried my tenebrium knife but that didn't do anything. Am I supposed to sneak past the Dread Lords or should I close the rift first?

Shouta

I was actually really fed-up with my lady ranger with my second play-through. For the first two areas she was great and really powerful: elemental arrows were getting dropped in such high amounts that she served as an auxilliary mage.

But by the time I was hitting the last couple of areas, my melee-focused wizard was doing so much damage and had such tactical variety with respect to his options (e.g. go in for a solid strike, cast a surface to block off choke-points, heal, etc) that it rendered her completely useless.

It doesn't help that I didn't figure out how to craft bows until way too late into the game, so her damage output suffered greatly for a large chunk of
Hunter's Edge

My Ranger did fine damage and all that stuff but the problem was that I had picked Glass cannon for the AP buff. Usually this works for a Ranger but because I was doing Lone Wolf x2, the Ranger took a lot of damage too and would die really fast later on. So I swapped to 2H melee for a bit more toughness and very similar damage. If I ever do the game again with 4 chars, I'm definitely doing a full time Ranger though.

Stevey

through the mines, but I obviously can't kill the Dread Lords in there. I've done all other quests in that area except for the rift one. I have no idea how to kill those enemies either. I tried my tenebrium knife but that didn't do anything. Am I supposed to sneak past the Dread Lords or should I close the rift first?

If you close the rift the Lords in the mines are still there- to close the rift you have to attack it with a tenebrium ONLY weapon, any other element will heal it. I personally left the mines until I had to go through them to get something for another quest, just use invisibility to sneak one party member past them then when you're clear, teleport the rest to them.

yes, I've also done that.

I don't know, might be that fact that I can't find the imp zyxx or whatever he's called at the end of time? Not sure where he went. everyone else is there.

Yeah that doesn't sound right. You're sure he's not chilling out beside a portal waiting for you to explore it or something? If not you might've ran into a bug... :(

The mines are easy if you break the rocks near the entrance (to the left a bit, you'll quickly run into the Bone Totem before moving on) and follow the edge all the way around. You only really need to avoid 1 Dread Lord and it's not much a problem. It's trivial if you have a character with invisibility.

Sneak is overrated.
For 5 points from ability/gear you get a 4/3 damage, a 33% increase.
Meanwhile, 5 points in a weapon ability gets you 50%.
And the sneak only works when you can sneak, and you spend a talent on guerilla.
OTOH sneak can work with all the physical damage weapons, but you only mention using daggers.
It's okay to put points into Sneak in addition to Tenebrium. And you should have the points, unless you get keen on Willpower and other things.

If you factor in the AP used and for daggers, then yeah sneak is only a 33%increase. That said it's only 3ability points to get Sneak at that point and a skill point, which makes it better value than weapon skills. Since they stack and since skills costs increase per point it's better to get Guerilla+2sneak+2weapons than 3weapons with All skilled up giving 2more points out of the 4 you need for 4pt weapon. Even with the low AP of daggers, sneak+guerilla is the best value in terms of ability points+skill point for damage besides Bully(very conditional at least until mass slow) and Glass Cannon(completely OP). And yeah they stack so no real need to not get sneak. Having a low cost sneak also has defensive applications since it lets you end turns in sneak, making your rogue a lot less likely to die regardless of the defensive stats.

On the tenebrium discussion, gonna spoiler everything since there's crafting spoilers,
note that adding Tenebrium damage to a weapon makes it tenebrium based in regards of skills. Considering you can add Tenebrium to every weapons besides staves(well maybe you can but you're not meleeing with those anyway so pointless), any weapon you find is technically a potential tenebrium weapon, unless you don't have the crafting for it which you only need 4 of, so very easy to get.

The main argument is basically wether you find enough +skill gear(like +2 Bow belt or whatever) to compensate for both the tenebrium damage added to the weapon(which is about a 30%increase not factoring resists, so can be less on some mobs but a lot of mobs have 0 even tenebrium wielding mobs) and the free +1 tenebrium skill you get from the quest(not sure about the book). That means you need like +4skill for it to be worth it and not enchant your weapon with tenebrium/use tenebrium skill. That's very possible to get, belt+bracers iirc can roll weapon mods and +2 starts dropping at like 14 and weapons themselves might too but if you don't or want to upgrade these for other stats, tenebrium ends up being better/easier to use. Downside is you don't get it until much later in the game, unless you know where to get it then you can kinda just rush for it and get the quest done super early.

Anyway, lots of min maxing but the game doesn't really require that amount, it's overall fairly easy with a few difficulty spikes here and there. More or less any team with their points assigned in a semi logical fashion can complete the game on normal and probably on hard.

The mines are easy if you break the rocks near the entrance (to the left a bit, you'll quickly run into the Bone Totem before moving on) and follow the edge all the way around. You only really need to avoid 1 Dread Lord and it's not much a problem. It's trivial if you have a character with invisibility.

D'oh, I don't know why I didn't think of that. That made things a lot easier. Thanks!

Finalow

There's a
broken mirror if you keep going past the button that opens the wall that leads to the locked door.
behind that I just found a chest with some level 6 items in it. (wth?)
no stones, not sure if I already picked that up and I can't remember. in any case if I actually need 16 stones to get past that door I have to check them all again since I don't really remember which one I missed.

zzz

DMiz

On the tenebrium discussion, gonna spoiler everything since there's crafting spoilers,
note that adding Tenebrium damage to a weapon makes it tenebrium based in regards of skills. Considering you can add Tenebrium to every weapons besides staves(well maybe you can but you're not meleeing with those anyway so pointless), any weapon you find is technically a potential tenebrium weapon, unless you don't have the crafting for it which you only need 4 of, so very easy to get.

The main argument is basically wether you find enough +skill gear(like +2 Bow belt or whatever) to compensate for both the tenebrium damage added to the weapon(which is about a 30%increase not factoring resists, so can be less on some mobs but a lot of mobs have 0 even tenebrium wielding mobs) and the free +1 tenebrium skill you get from the quest(not sure about the book). That means you need like +4skill for it to be worth it and not enchant your weapon with tenebrium/use tenebrium skill. That's very possible to get, belt+bracers iirc can roll weapon mods and +2 starts dropping at like 14 and weapons themselves might too but if you don't or want to upgrade these for other stats, tenebrium ends up being better/easier to use. Downside is you don't get it until much later in the game, unless you know where to get it then you can kinda just rush for it and get the quest done super early.

I remember there being quite a big stink on the Steam discussion boards about this. Personally, I think my only major complaint is that the quest where you earn
the skill to handle it can be skipped
, often by accident (or for us solo-players, the result of bad RNG).

Outside of that, though, I personally didn't think it broke the game too much. By the end it seemed like it didn't really offer much of an edge, to be quite honest.

Gazoinks

So I just picked up this game. I'm not far in yet (played for 2 hours, then restarted and played another 2~ hours), but wow. Really impressed by the game, right now it's looking like the best RPG I've played in a looooong time. Love the combat systems and the heavy focus on environmental interaction and crowd control, love the open feel of the game (no quest markers!), and love the tongue-in-cheek tone to the writing. Awesome!

That really bothers me. I JUST got that skill, and does it completely negate the need for that other skill? What a ridiculous design choice. Is there any reason to wield a normal single-hander once you get that skill?

Yes, a shield can have lot of stat bonuses and resistance boosts. Also if you specialized shield you can make yourself essentially invulnerable with the high block chance.

My sword and shield character had 80% chance to block, over 100% resistance to every element, and leech against physical attacks.

Ourobolus

Banned
Yes, a shield can have lot of stat bonuses and resistance boosts. Also if you specialized shield you can make yourself essentially invulnerable with the high block chance.

My sword and shield character had 80% chance to block, over 100% resistance to every element, and leech against physical attacks.

Ok. Let me rephrase - since I can "enchant" a weapon with Tenebrium is there any reason to not do so? I don't see how having a shield factors into a 1H weapon's traits.

Ok. Let me rephrase - since I can "enchant" a weapon with Tenebrium is there any reason to not do so? I don't see how having a shield factors into a 1H weapon's traits.

Oh, I misunderstood your question as why not equip a 2H weapon with tenebrium.

Yeah, you should enchant it and pump your tenebrium skills. Once you do so it the tenebrium skill determine damage and not your skill with 1H weapons.

Personally, I think it's a design flaw. The tenebrium skill should only affect the tenebrium part of the damage and the weapon skill should still affect the weapon's primary damage.

IceIpor

LTTP, but I'm slowly working through this game..

I used the barrel trick on the lighthouse, and now I decided to use the blockage strategy for this encounter.

50OhcyE.jpg

(Do you recognize those two chests? Didn't think I'd use them against you, did you?!)

It's fun trying out different strategies and see what works and what doesn't.

Stevey

behind that I just found a chest with some level 6 items in it. (wth?)
no stones, not sure if I already picked that up and I can't remember. in any case if I actually need 16 stones to get past that door I have to check them all again since I don't really remember which one I missed.

zzz

Yeah there's
a chest behind the mirror but the stone is sort of in front of it to the north, like if the mirror is 3 oclock the stone is 12 oclock

Well if you have a lot of +1H skill and not much Tenebrium skill, then it'd be worse, if they're equal or you dumped in tenebrium, then no there is no reason to not enchant a weapon, you find way too much tenebrium anyway so you can easily enchant everything and it's a lot of damage.

Wrapped up the game a few days ago, I absolutely loved my time with it. My party consisted of a pair of 2 handed melee combatants and a pair of mages, fucking wrecked everything that got in my way apart from the death knights until getting the spell to debuff them.

Torraz

Any repercussions for (second map spoilers)
Talking the enchanter with the golem into giving you all the information, and then killing them anyways for extra XP
? I think Hilda is her name.

Finalow

Yeah there's
a chest behind the mirror but the stone is sort of in front of it to the north, like if the mirror is 3 oclock the stone is 12 oclock
I guess I've already taken the stone there.
but it's ok, I managed to get past the door with just 15 now. the problem was the the imp disappeared at the end of time but after going there a couple of times I finally found him near one last portal, and after that the door made me pass.

-
in my party Madora is pretty much unkillable at this point, even more than before since she already was extremely hard to kill with comeback kid + leech.
ruby op

On Tenebrium

Where in the hell do you get the skill to handle Tenebrium?

There's 2 ways, you either do the quest for Brandon in Silverglen which is to bring him a tenebrium ore, while the quest points to the troll king, any tenebrium ore works. Assuming you refused that quest, which sadly is kinda bad, you get a single book in the Immaculate village to the far east of the zone in the alchemist summoner crazy person house. That book can only be used to give tenebrium to a single character, which means only that character should loot, craft and use tenebrium. If you do the quest, everyone gets tenebrium at once.

Finalow

On Tenebrium

Where in the hell do you get the skill to handle Tenebrium?
you have to complete the Troll King quest, given to you by a guy in Silverglen. in order to complete it you don't have to kill the Troll King, you can just sneak past him and take one piece of tenebrium, you bring it back to the guy and answer "yes" and then you get the skill.

edit/ whops, beaten.

clem84

Gold Member
I have an i7-2600 with 8GB RAM and R7 240 1GB GPU. Is this enough? I have read the OP and my CPU and RAM seem to be enough but I wasn't sure about the GPU.

Stevey

I've not heard of a 240 before, so can't really answer.

But I can tell you that my setup- i7 3770k, 8GB RAM and an EVGA GTX 780 Classified 3GB, sometimes dropped to like 30FPS in one or two big battles- but that's with everything maxed out at 1080.
Maybe if you drop some settings down it should run well enough.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I have an i7-2600 with 8GB RAM and R7 240 1GB GPU. Is this enough? I have read the OP and my CPU and RAM seem to be enough but I wasn't sure about the GPU.

Way more than enough, game is probably one of the best optimized things I've played in a while. Long load screens, but runs on just about anything. You out do me on a lot of things and on my laptop I can play it just fine on medium / high.

Myshkin

Any speculation on when there'll be another major update? I've been putzing around with miscellaneous entertainment before contemplating another playthrough. Maybe this would be a good time to stop procrastinating and get my taxes done.

Any speculation on when there'll be another major update? I've been putzing around with miscellaneous entertainment before contemplating another playthrough. Maybe this would be a good time to stop procrastinating and get my taxes done.

Well they took some holidays but just came back and released a small bug fixes patch like today/yesterday and said they'll now be working on adding new companions and stuff. Now ETA is a whole other matter though, could be a month, could be 3+. I'd just wait if you've already finished the game unless you're itching to go again, I assume the next playthrough would have more companions and probably new skills(especially in the trees that are kinda light like scoundrel and marksmanship) and a few new quests or zones so it'd be worth waiting.

sixghost

Did I miss a big section of the game? I followed the murder mystery through to its end, entered
Lucella Woods
and
talked to the mushroom outside the witch's cabin.
. The next two areas I discovered was the
Immaculate initiation area with level 14 spiders and goblins
, and
the area with the female Orc miniboss that are all level 12. I'm almost level 10, and these fights are difficult as hell
. I'm making slow progress through the orc area, but it seems weird that the enemies immediately jumped up 3 levels.

Arcteryx

I have a late 2013 Macbook Pro & this game runs pretty poorly on high settings- would've expected it to run better. Will I get better results running it in bootcamp?

Yea...

Try it in Bootcamp, but even then I suspect you'll have to adjust things downward.

I don't even bother with Steam on OSX unless the game is incredibly basic(like 10+ years old or the equivalent of Candy Crush).

Labadal

I reached Phantom Forest. Been doing really well so far. A couple of game over situations here and there. No crafting has been done. Most of the time, I have eight units to control because even my fighters have summons. It's really rewarding to see your summons and fighters rip enemies to shreds and then use the mage and ranger to snipe stuff or stun/freeze them.

Top Bottom