• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Oh yeah, that's a good point. I'm early enough in (just hit 10) that I should be able to pick some stuff up without too much trouble. It's already paid off, as Become Air is a sweet buff, Shocking Touch is handy, and an extra teleport is always good. Looking forward to grabbing Lightning Strike the net time I have money.

Yeah those are all really good choices, become air lets you tank so well for your other casters.

You should also think about picking up witchcraft for death punch and destroy summon, those spells are absolutely awesome later on.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Finished it yesterday. Was a 3.5 on a 5 point scale for me. Combat was fantastic and the highlight of the game for me, but it was really (really) dragged down by the inability to set speed of combat. Wasteland 2 has this and its absolutely fantastic - combat is still turn-based, but encounters are much faster since all the enemy animations are sped up. I feel like I spent half of DOS waiting for the AI to get through all its turn animations. I should have installed a speed mod, but I wanted to get through the game vanilla (which was dumb of me).

Also the writing was pedestrian at best. And the less said about inventory and the selling UI the better.

Pretty good for a Kickstarter game though. Glad I backed it.

Gazoinks

Yeah those are all really good choices, become air lets you tank so well for your other casters.

You should also think about picking up witchcraft for death punch and destroy summon, those spells are absolutely awesome later on.

I have Witchcraft 1 on my Wizard, but I've been holding off on leveling it in favor of Fire and Earth. I definitely plan on it though, and I've gotten a lot of use out of that damage buff.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I have Witchcraft 1 on my Wizard, but I've been holding off on leveling it in favor of Fire and Earth. I definitely plan on it though, and I've gotten a lot of use out of that damage buff.

Yeah the only reason I suggest witchcraft on a melee is because those spells have a short range, like 5 meters i think? Especially for fights later on where you'll definitely wanna keep your wizards far back.

FINALLY

IT'S OVER OH MY GOD THE FINAL BATTLE WAS INTENSE AS HELL spoilers below

for the void dragon me and my friend set up this amazing combo, where i would buff him with immunity to stuns and freeze then i'd run away so i wouldn't get in combat (my initiative was too high and we needed my friend to go first), then he'd run in and nullify the void dragons resists. When his resists were at nill I'd have Jahan oath me, haste me and port me down below and summon an undead decapitator. Then once that's done I walked up a tiny bit quick saved, and used meteor shower, we reloaded about 4 times until we got the meteors to land in perfect positon for maximum damage. Finally we managed to do ~6700 damage to him on a turn 3 meteor shower, the undead decapitator would soak up hits for astarde and then we set up the worlds biggest flurry, with more quick save reload bullshit we kept reloading until the knock down worked then i buffed the hell out of my friend and we flurry crit him for 2600, from there he was killable like normal. So much cheese, and on top of that we used our stupid vase trick for the previous fight with leandra.

I had a battlemage with full witchcraft and master of arms. She could essentially tank everything the boss could throw at her. Only had to heal her once. I had 75% block chance on her, full resistance to two elements, and high res on the others. Super tank. Almost unkillable by the end of the game. Just tanked away, and death punched every time it was up for 1k damage. Brutal.

Gazoinks

Yeah the only reason I suggest witchcraft on a melee is because those spells have a short range, like 5 meters i think? Especially for fights later on where you'll definitely wanna keep your wizards far back.

Yeah, I might go ahead and do that later on, want to see how my skill point distribution works out. Madora's really come into her own lately, though. Fully buffed with Haste, Fortify or Become Air, the Withcraft damage buff, and elemental defenses if necessary, she tears through enemies and tanks hard. Flurry does a crazy amount of damage.

Part of the trick was when I learned not to accidentally catch her on the edge of all my aoe spells. :D Learning how to play melee in this game took an adjustment due to all the aoe and cc everyone tosses around.

e: Also I totally just discovered
Black Cove
exists. I'm lv. 10 and on the second map. >.>

DBT85

Stayed up till 2 playing on a school (work) night. Dammit.

Lvl 5 though, finally sold more crap and bought some more spells.

If you have anything else on an HDD maybe you're seeing spikes when something writes to the swap partition. Otherwise... that's pretty weird!

Just wanted to update on the problem I was having. I went back through all of the video settings just to make sure everything was in order. I noticed Vsync was only set to double buffering so I changed it to triple buffering, and I also noticed my resolution was 1920x1080 (59Hz) so I changed it to 1920x1080 (60Hz) and after playing for 8 hours or so on Sunday without any issue I can happily say it seems to be fixed. *touch wood*

Anyone know why either of those settings would affect the game's performance so much?

Noaloha

Anyone on GAF wanna give my D:OS module a try and maybe share what you think?

It's a short, stand-alone 1-player thing. Kinda dumb, but I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out. I've never done this sort of thing before!

In Workshop > Divinity: Original Sin, look for ESCAPE FROM SMALCATRAZ.
Or go to the Steam browser page, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=299555748

EDIT: Up on Nexus now, for GOG users. Toss the .pak into your Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin\Mods folder.

i7ihVpC58Q3wT.jpg

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Phanton Forst question

How do I kill the death knights? They can't seem to be CCed, hit hard as fuck

You get a spell from the mines in the previous map to get make them vulnerable,

Don't read the following if you wanna figure it out on your own

to get the spell you have to sneak past the death knights in the mines, use the password on the big gate (you get the password in the mines as well) then you need to kill the wizard in the immaculate catherdal and get a vial of leandras blood, then you combine the two.

You get a spell from the mines in the previous map to get make them vulnerable,

Don't read the following if you wanna figure it out on your own

to get the spell you have to sneak past the death knights in the mines, use the password on the big gate (you get the password in the mines as well) then you need to kill the wizard in the immaculate catherdal and get a vial of leandras blood, then you combine the two.

I have that.

I still can't CC them or damage them much. Charm fails, Stun fails, Knockdown fails. They hit Madora for 150 per hit and kill summons in one turn or one shot too.

DBT85

Found the area in the first town where you press the elemental buttons and in the other room there is an effect. Not quite sure what the purpose is though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I have that.

I still can't CC them or damage them much. Charm fails, Stun fails, Knockdown fails. They hit Madora for 150 per hit and kill summons in one turn or one shot too.

If it fails then that just means you got RNG screwed. Unless it says immune then you just gotta keep trying. I had no issue CCing them with the geomancer boulder spell.

Are Secrets worth buying? I experimentally grabbed one and it told me something I already knew. :|

Kinda depends, some are, some aren't. If you have a character with a high perception(like an archer), chances are you'll stumble upon the various stuff to dig up on your own, might miss a few though. Some also act as hints that there's something to do there when it's not digging treasures.

If you buy them, at least from the Keeper of Secrets or whatever the NPC is, make sure to donate some money first to raise attitude to cap. It saves you money if you do it this way, especially since you can then resell stuff to that NPC at a better price and get your money back eventually(including reselling the secrets).

Gazoinks

If you buy them, at least from the Keeper of Secrets or whatever the NPC is, make sure to donate some money first to raise attitude to cap. It saves you money if you do it this way, especially since you can then resell stuff to that NPC at a better price and get your money back eventually(including reselling the secrets).

Huh, never thought of doing this.

Also, once I stopped thinking of the Pyramids solely as a fast travel option, I really realized how much you can do with them. Using them combined with teleportation-type spells lets you bring your party anywhere you need and avoid many traps, and using them with invisibility lets you infiltrate pretty much anything. And that's not even counting some of the cool combat uses.

DMiz

Are Secrets worth buying? I experimentally grabbed one and it told me something I already knew. :|

Yeah, nothing interesting seems to come out of them outside of hidden chest locations. A lot of them tend to hint at things that you already suspect but might not have been sure of with respect to particular quests or locations on the map; note that they don't do a good job of giving you an actual hint, so much as they just tend to say, "Did you believe you could do/find/acquire x? You can!"

If you're persistent, you're bound to have found a solution to them and/or have marked it on your for future refernece, anyway.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Is the coop stable in this game? Considering getting my friend to buy it (only put in 45 mins so far myself) so we can game together.

Yeah you can co-op without a hitch in this game, it works through steam flawlessly and in the event steam goes down you can still co-op without a hitch. Literally the best co-op system I've ever seen.

Level 13 now and starting to feel pretty badass. Took me a long time, but both my tanks have legendary weapons now and are bringing the pain (Flurry rules). One of my mages heals and freezes, the other deals pyro and poison damage and can summon wolves, elementals and undead.

Still absolutely loving the game. Easily my GOTY so far.

Gazoinks

Level 13 now and starting to feel pretty badass. Took me a long time, but both my tanks have legendary weapons now and are bringing the pain (Flurry rules). One of my mages heals and freezes, the other deals pyro and poison damage and can summon wolves, elementals and undead.

Still absolutely loving the game. Easily my GOTY so far.

It's funny, it almost feels like Warriors and Wizards have their character progressions reversed from the way they are in other RPGs. Wizards start off overshadowing everyone else and then retreat into more of a support role as the game goes on, where Warriors start off underwhelming but wreck faces at higher levels.

I love how useful support skills are in this game. Most RPGs have a problem where buffs and especially debuffs aren't worth it, but they can make a big difference in this game. Especially Charm. Charm is amazing.

Also, the amount of power I'm feeling when I finally reach Rank 5 in an Ability and get unlimited Skill slots is awesome. So many options!

It's funny, it almost feels like Warriors and Wizards have their character progressions reversed from the way they are in other RPGs. Wizards start off overshadowing everyone else and then retreat into more of a support role as the game goes on, where Warriors start off underwhelming but wreck faces at higher levels.

I love how useful support skills are in this game. Most RPGs have a problem where buffs and especially debuffs aren't worth it, but they can make a big difference in this game. Especially Charm. Charm is amazing.

Also, the amount of power I'm feeling when I finally reach Rank 5 in an Ability and get unlimited Skill slots is awesome. So many options!

True about warriors and wizards. It took me a long time for my one-handed/shield warrior to feel useful, but he really does now. My two-handed warrior was useful a bit earlier, but yeah, you rely on spells heavily early on.

The game is very well balanced, though. I really like the way progression and levelling up works.

DMiz

Try a battlemage if you roll again. You will be very satisfied. :)

Gazoinks

Try a battlemage if you roll again. You will be very satisfied. :)

I actually turned Madora into a bit of a battlemage with two points in Aero. Really fun to play, I'll definitely play one from the start if I do a co-op game or a replay at some point.

Going to start this son is there Difficult level to choose from and if so what is recommended?

If it's your first time I'd say start on normal. It can be pretty challenging if you're not familiar with the systems. You can change the difficulty at any time so don't worry about it too much.

Going to start this son is there Difficult level to choose from and if so what is recommended?

There's a difficulty, kinda depends on what you want to play the game as. Hard is recommended if you want a good challenge, Normal is fine if you don't want to reroll until you find the right spec and stuff. I'd avoid Easy. You can change difficulty at any time with no penalty.

Finally started a real playthrough with my gf. Playing as a rogue (Mr Sneaky Beaky) and she's a Witch (Ms Knowles). Trying to rush through Cyseal a bit as I've seen it way too many times already. Having fun so far!

Special C

I started on hard and it got really rough. I restarted after about Level 5 on hard again with a little bit smarter character building and now it's almost too easy.

DBT85

I just defeated the troll on the bridge and the fire monster thing both lvl 8. Not sure I should be up there yet, literally got lvl 6 after defeating the fire monster.

Gazoinks

Woah, the
waterfall
in S
acred
S
tone.
The game had dark implications before, but I wasn't expecting them to suddenly pop into the foreground.

DBT85

If you see a monster higher than your current level, you definitely missed something. Follow the witch storyline.

Yeah I know, I've been marking the map so I know what level enemies are where. It was only because they were alone and with Blind, Slow, a bit of rain and ice for Frozen and some Stun, they were really easy. I know I can't take out more than one or two at a time though. I haven't come across the witch storyline yet though and I think I've talked to everyone I can. Still got to solve plenty of quests though.

My brother sent me a pic this morning of his desk at work, two monitors ether side, his macbook pro in the centre with DOS on it. The joys of being the boss lol. He restarted with a better team. I'm contemplating it just to get PetPal.

DMiz

Woah, the
waterfall
in S
acred
S
tone.
The game had dark implications before, but I wasn't expecting them to suddenly pop into the foreground.

Yeah, it's surprisingly dark when you see that. The strange thing, though, is that nobody else in the game really comments about it - feels like a missed opportunity.

I mean, you'd think Madora would have some choice words, considering what happened at
Hunter's Edge
, but neither she nor your Source Hunters seem to react.

Maybe Larian thought it would cheapen the impact to have them acknowledge in-game? Still - I was expecting some comments and something to do to resolve the issue rather than what it is.

Ourobolus

Banned
I love and hate this game. Accidentally stunned my entire party because I mis-clicked when I cast Lightning Bolt and we were all standing in blood.

Sigh.

Gazoinks

Man, the Mangoth battle is kicking my ass. I'm the same level as him, but he and his buddies wreck my party. Maybe I'll go do the mines and come back later.

e: Did it! As usual, adjusting strategy leads to victory. Ended up holing up in the middle room and having Madora tank the entrance so they couldn't get at my squishies. Tough fight, but I made it through eventually.

Noaloha

I mentioned a few days ago that I put a D:OS mod up on Workshop/Nexus, just a little ten minute stand-alone scenario thing called Escape From Smalcatraz. Without wishing to come across like I'm pushing my shit on anyone, I'm still looking for more feedback before I start designing puzzles and encounters and writing dialog for the rest of the story. If no one played it, that's fine, I don't want anyone to go out of their way. But if anyone did try it and had criticisms/thoughts, or found bugs/typos/fail-states, I'd love to hear them.

DBT85

Very tempted to finish Cyseal and then restart with the knowledge I've gained about the game. Never played DnD or these type of games so it's all been a learning curve.

I played an mmo called Legend of Mir where you had AC for armour, DC for attack, MC for magic and MAC for magic defense, but it didn't have the intricacies of DOS or other games like it.

I think I'm missing out without Petpal and having lonewolf on one character is also meaning I don't had a full squad, I don't have the cool spider summon, etc.

Now that I understand things a bit better a restart might help, plus I can talk to all the animals as I go.

EDIT: ffs I only just found out while watching a lets play that an enemy being frozen gives them 65 armour!

EDIT2 since the threads dead: got my plan for my replay sorted, not going to bother with finishing Cyseal, just going to restart when I get my computer to my new place (moved yesterday).

---Knight---

Stats
-STR 3, CON 1, SPE 1

Abilities
-Twohanded 2
-Man-at-arms 1
-Willpower 1

Skills
-battering ram
-dust devil
-crushing fist

Talents
-Leech
-Comeback kid

---Mage---
Stats
-INT 3, CON 1, SPE 1

Abilities
-Pyrokinetic 2
-Geomancer 1
-Leadership 1

Skills
-summon pet
-flare
-midnight oil

Talents

-PetPal
-far out man

Not bothered by pickpocketing and stuff and I know I'll get plenty of gear that'll have crafting/perception bonus'.

Looking forward to it!

Top Bottom