• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Durante

I apologize if this has been asked before or if there is a better place to look, but I know the multiplayer means you don't bring your own character. So what is the benefit of going into someone else's game? Do you get to bring items or experience back? Similar to acting as a phantom in a Souls game?

Or maybe I have something confused.
The benefit is playing together with someone else ;)

But seriously, you shouldn't think of it like MP in ARPGs. It's more like (a much better version of) the MP in Infinity Engine RPGs. It's really meant for people to play through the entire game together.

Zukuu

Banned
I apologize if this has been asked before or if there is a better place to look, but I know the multiplayer means you don't bring your own character. So what is the benefit of going into someone else's game? Do you get to bring items or experience back? Similar to acting as a phantom in a Souls game?

Or maybe I have something confused.
It's really more meant to play a full game with the same partner. I don't think you get anything out of it if you play with a stranger for a few hours, other than fun.

Levyne

Banned
Ah, I didn't mean to sound like what's in it for meeeeeeeee I just wanted to know if there was also a tangible benefit.

Thanks for the many answers!

Eusis

It's on sale and currently #2 on the top sellers list on Steam.
It honestly leaves me to wonder who the fuck are the people who keep voting for the community deals. The sci-fi one won out over the turn-based games, but I don't think FTL got that high in the sales charts, whereas most of the dailies are on sale right now and Divinity soared to the top. Was it just a bunch of stupid lemming fans who didn't stop and think about the fact they already had the game and maybe something on the other side is more interesting or practical to get?

EDIT: Actually, maybe they really should in the future consider blocking off a choice if you already own it, unless you own literally everything offered (or just decreasing the value of all votes from people who owned the game they voted for, whichever.) Might've worked better for the last few sales, but it'd be interesting to see how things turned out then.

Peff

It honestly leaves me to wonder who the fuck are the people who keep voting for the community deals. The sci-fi one won out over the turn-based games, but I don't think FTL got that high in the sales charts, whereas most of the dailies are on sale right now and Divinity soared to the top. Was it just a bunch of stupid lemming fans who didn't stop and think about the fact they already had the game and maybe something on the other side is more interesting or practical to get?

The list is revenue-based rather than amount of copies sold, so essentially one sale makes up for about six copies of just about everything else, haha. Still, it's a great performance, especially if word of mouth remains as good as it has been up to now after it's released. If it does, it should make a killing when it eventually goes 50/66%, and hopefully there'll be an expansion pack announced by then. I'm a little surprised by Dark Souls II, though. Looks like Namco was wise not to put it up as a daily for now!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
REALLY want this but just cannot afford it atm. Hopefully get it in a few weeks, or from russian sellers or something.

I have a physical version coming soon -- what are the deployment options? I recall a Steam and a no-DRM one? I'm guessing I'll opt for no-DRM so that I can install it even if Steam goes away, and cash in my digital copy on Steam -- anyone else doing that?

Edit: Ack, looks like I'm too late to make that choice. Oh well.

Santiako

Daaaaaamn, so happy for Larian, it must be selling really well today:

D8IzKzU.png

Santiako

Also, for those who like to plan ahead, some data:

The soft level cap is 20 (it's what's expected to reach by the end when doing everything)
Ability Points: 44 by level 20 (levels 2-5: 1 point; levels 6-10: 2 points; 10+: 3 points)
New Talents: every other level, so a total of 11 including the 2 you get when creating your character.

Eusis

The list is revenue-based rather than amount of copies sold, so essentially one sale makes up for about six copies of just about everything else, haha. Still, it's a great performance, especially if word of mouth remains as good as it has been up to now after it's released. If it does, it should make a killing when it eventually goes 50/66%, and hopefully there'll be an expansion pack announced by then. I'm a little surprised by Dark Souls II, though. Looks like Namco was wise not to put it up as a daily for now!
While this is a good point I still think that if those games were really, REALLY that high in demand they'd soar higher, whereas Divinity is up against many other popular games, pricey games and STILL came out ahead. Of course it literally is out tomorrow which is an advantage it lacked even as a community vote.

And honestly I wouldn't be surprised that if Namco DID go with a DSII deal we'd get some lame 10% as the standard deal then 33% as the daily. Bethesda may've been willing to cut deep for Wolfenstein, but I think with DSII's cult status Namco would want more, and Watch Dogs is only a bit younger and had a 20% discount.
I haven't run the numbers or anything, but it does seem like people tend to vote for their personal favorites rather than games that they want to buy. Whenever I pay attention to a vote, the side with some indie darling that has been in three humble bundles tends to win, and of course doesn't chart well because everybody has it already.
Yeah, it's why it's baffling to see games like that or, say, KotOR1 win. Games that were on sale multiple times or even in multiple humble bundles, yet coming out ahead for some fucking reason. I even had a spare FTL key that I dug out and gave away when I saw it won the community vote!

Durante

Also, for those who like to plan ahead, some data:

The soft level cap is 20 (it's what's expected to reach by the end when doing everything)
Ability Points: 44 by level 20 (levels 2-5: 1 point; levels 6-10: 2 points; 10+: 3 points)
New Talents: every other level, so a total of 11 including the 2 you get when creating your character.
That's some useful information to have, thanks!

Zakalwe

Banned
Just had four days off and tonnes of time to game, full week of work tomorrow and a full weekend coming up!

Damn it! Still super excited, but damn it...

Quick question, I Kickstarted this at the $65 tier which included Dragon Commander. Does anyone know if that includes the DLC?

Kickstarter:
This also includes: Kickstarter Potion + Divinity Original Sin Digital Copy + Soundtrack Digital Download + Developer's Cut Digital (Documents and Videos)

Sourcehunter DLC
The Golden Grail DLC, Divinity Original Sin: Zandalor's Trunks DLC, Divinity: Original Sin Design Documents and Art Pack, and Soundtrack. (DLC will only be made available on release.)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I wonder how big of a download moving from the beta to the full game is going to be. Do you think it's the entire game all over again?

It probably is, isn't it.

Decado

It mostly just changes formulas (e.g. damage/hit calculations) as far as I know.

Lame. May as well not have bothered. Hopefully there will be a good difficulty mod.

Nice to see Divinity at #2 on the best seller list. Hopefully it is wracking up some excellent numbers for Larian.

Question. I'm going to be out of town next week for the holiday and I'll only have my 2009 Macbook Pro with me to play games. Will this even be able to run on my shitty laptop and if so how compromised are we talking?

Koeta

I bought into the hype, hope it's as good as everyone is making it out to be o.o

went in on the collectors ed. with a buddy cut the price down a bit, $28 for each copy vs $32 and we got some older games and dlc.

syko de4d

Nice, somehow Divinity is on place 1 and 20 for me at steam. Both normal version, no idea how that is possible.

In other countrys Wolfenstein is maybe place 1 but no one buys cut version in germany (place 63 :lol)

ph00p

Banned
Some questions I have, are there dungeons? Is the baddie placement "procedural"? Is there a definitive story with bosses?

What worries me about the magic system talk is that, theres usually that one way to do things thats kinda cheap and sometimes you really just end up doing that over and over, because doing anything else is just for "fun" ie just stupid really and makes the game longer than it needs to be. Am I correct in the assumption about the magic system or is it better than that? Do you find yourself going into ever battle and just constantly teleporting dudes away from you and then using magic to snipe them?

What killed the fun for me in Dragon Age was the fact that it started to break down into ever cluster of enemies there was 2 melee guys and 1 mage so I'd snipe the mage from affair, like just in his rage, then just kill the melees.

Does the cooking stuff add up to anything? Someone mentioned the word "sandbox" which to many is a great thing but to me is kinda offputting.

Just to make it clear I'm not attacking anyone or anything these are just some concerns I have before I make the purchase.

Moff

Some questions I have, are there dungeons? Is the baddie placement "procedural"? Is there a definitive story with bosses?

What worries me about the magic system talk is that, theres usually that one way to do things thats kinda cheap and sometimes you really just end up doing that over and over, because doing anything else is just for "fun" ie just stupid really and makes the game longer than it needs to be. Am I correct in the assumption about the magic system or is it better than that? Do you find yourself going into ever battle and just constantly teleporting dudes away from you and then using magic to snipe them?

yes there are dungeons, yes there are bosses

the one way tactic kinda worked in the beta, I basically used only flare (the starter fire damage spell), but during the beta they gave that spell a cooldown, so I was forced to use other spells.
there are also many immunities and other effects that force variety.

a burning skeleton mini boss was actually healed by my fire spells, and I noticed too late that my staff also did fire damage and I wondered what healed him all the time.

sueil

Gedosato beta 8 doesn't work for me with the game. Default injection crashes the game and alternate injection doesn't show up the new resolution in game.

Decado

I hope details are released on how the different stats impact spells/skills. Some of it is fairly clear, but others' I'm not so sure about. I'm a sucker for looking into all the calculations.

EDIT: lol. Both "versions" are in the top 20 now.

ph00p

Banned
yes there are dungeons, yes there are bosses

the one way tactic kinda worked in the beta, I basically used only flare (the starter fire damage spell), but during the beta they gave that spell a cooldown, so I was forced to use other spells.
there are also many immunities and other effects that force variety.

a burning skeleton mini boss was actually healed by my fire spells, and I noticed too late that my staff also did fire damage and I wondered what healed him all the time.

Thank you for your feedback, all those words excite me, I loved Icewind Dale and Plansecape Torment, I know this isn't THOSE games but I think it'll be money well spent.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

What killed the fun for me in Dragon Age was the fact that it started to break down into ever cluster of enemies there was 2 melee guys and 1 mage so I'd snipe the mage from affair, like just in his rage, then just kill the melees.

Does the cooking stuff add up to anything? Someone mentioned the word "sandbox" which to many is a great thing but to me is kinda offputting.

Just to make it clear I'm not attacking anyone or anything these are just some concerns I have before I make the purchase.

The fire wizard I've been using in the beta doesn't even have a teleport spell. You make your own character, so the build and how you use the tools are up to you.

Top Bottom