• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

robin2

They take control of one of your characters, they don't bring in their own. You can start a new game in coop though and then they get to create 1 of the 2 characters.
I don't have a "coop buddy", so I was planning to have, sometimes when I feel like it, someone joining.

Anyway, do I need a free hand (or maybe both?) to cast spells?

Zakalwe

Banned
But they are pretty cringeworthy and shallow too, I think it's kind of hard to deny it.

They're as deep as they need to be for the style of rpg it is, it's a cinematic rpg not a sandbox. I think it's perfectly fine, and while each relationship isn't deep, managing your entire squad can feel quite complex and toward the end of each of my playthorughs I always felt like my squad had developed a bond unique to my playthrough. Same goes for Dragon Age: Origins.

Cheesy as hell, yes, but that's a huge part of the charm for me. I love cheesy space opera.

Anyway, do I need a free hand (or maybe both?) to cast spells?

My mage casts spells just fine while holding a staff, so I don't think that will ever be an issue.

They're as deep as they need to be for the style of rpg it is, it's a cinematic rpg not a sandbox. I think it's perfectly fine, and while each relationship isn't deep, managing your entire squad can feel quite complex and toward the end of each of my playthorughs I always felt like my squad had developed a bond unique to my playthrough. Same goes for Dragon Age: Origins.

Cheesy as hell, yes, but that's a huge part of the charm for me. I love cheesy space opera.

The Star Wars romances always seemed interesting to me, simply because of the Jedi code, the potential to fall to the Dark Side, and stuff like that.

zeox

I just spent around 2 hours walking around the starting city talking to people and just messing around. open up the map and realize i've only explored about half of the city!

I already love this game :D

Zukuu

Banned
Well, no clue how to edit the companions. Tried to open Jahan on the map "Cycil" or something gives me an error, just like opening the character creation: "does not exist". =/

Playing this game at 4K really makes it shine. Framerate isn't quite a stable 60, but this is the kind of game I'm not 100% bothered. Will probably tweak a few things to get it stable though.

Levyne

Banned
Huh, can someone explain something? Sorry if this is noobish.

My male character has a crafting of 1. I found some arrow shafts and "static" arrowheads. I was able to craft one "stunning arrow" by combining them but for any more it says "not enough crafting". But I just made one?

What?? Auuggh. They should really warn you about that when you're creating your characters.

I guess I need to start over....

there are other people you can hire, they apparently just don't have stories. I would just make what you want and save them for your 2nd play through to make it interesting

Aeana

Man, I can't even start the game because I'm paralyzed with indecision. I don't have enough knowledge about the classes and skills to make an informed decision. I do at least know the classes the companions start with so that helps a bit, but still.

TGMIII

They should have muted the ambient conversations while in dialog with NPCs. It's pretty annoying when you're reading conversation and you have to keep hearing the same 2 audio clips over and over from someone standing in the next room.

jblank83

Man, I can't even start the game because I'm paralyzed with indecision. I don't have enough knowledge about the classes and skills to make an informed decision. I do at least know the classes the companions start with so that helps a bit, but still.

I wouldn't worry about it much. Just choose classes that are what you want to roleplay. Want to sneak around and steal stuff? Rogue. Want to run around and smash things? Knight.

Zakalwe

Banned
The fully voiced character banter is amazing.

Adds so much. I love that there's still plenty of text to read, there's a certain charm to text based rpgs that I've missed, but the voice work is very good.

Really impressed so far.

They should have muted the ambient conversations while in dialog with NPCs. It's pretty annoying when you're reading conversation and you have to keep hearing the same 2 audio clips over and over from someone standing in the next room.

This may get annoying though.

Roll a ranged rogue and a melee rogue, and then steal everything.

You'll have too much gold to worry about anything ever again.

I speak from experience, having not chosen a rogue-type. I've been trapped in the city for the past three hours salivating at the thought of all the munnay I could have by now if I had only gone down a different path.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

indecision-induced-impossible-planet-face.gif

I've started the Beta like 8 times and I still don't know what classes I want to start with.

Arksy

I was going to hold out until the full release as I didn't want to only play the first 20 hours of an RPG, and then THE NEXT DAY the full version comes out. Dammit. If anyone has a spare copy from the double pack and they want to trade send me a PM! :D

The end of work can't come soon enough. I'm glad I'm on the last chapter of corpse party: book of shadows, so I can put all my gaming time on this soon.

MayMay

Banned
Anyone else having issues with the DLC? I bought it, and I own it --

d225a0c93043b53dd6c41f89fbb8354d.png

But Steam says no - and it's also nowhere to be found ingame.

d35f87884a376ede625446040859f2b6.png

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so in co-op, does only one person save/experience the game, or is the game saved for both players?

pretty sure this just means you own the license for the DLC, but the actual content isn't there yet (hasn't been released)

Lulubop

Feel the same, about to restart again now that I know one of the companions is a Knight.

Koeta

I'm having an issue sort of like this.. I picked up the "Divinity Original Sin Digital Collectors edition" which comes with the dlc it says but it's not showing up as something I own? not sure what's going on with this..

MayMay

Banned
so in co-op, does only one person save/experience the game, or is the game saved for both players?

pretty sure this just means you own the license for the DLC, but the actual content isn't there yet (hasn't been released)

I thought that too, but apparently some ppl. here already have it..

The game is really beautiful looking, and i'm loving the soundtrack and enjoyed the small amount of combat that i did. A weird problem i'm having though is i keep running into issues with the movement. It may just be because i've not played a CRPG in a very long time, but running around the first big city was a bit of a struggle for me. I'd hold down left click and just aim in a direction, but my character would randomly stop or just walk instead of run. I may restart the game since i made one of my characters a knight, I didn't realize one of the companions is a knight.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Played for two hours, still wondering the main city and have no idea what to do.

Main Quest, about an hour in:
I have the key for Cecils Living Quarter, but the dock isn't unlocking.

Danneee

Amen!
Isn't there a digital manual to download?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The game is saved only on the host computer.

so how is it really co-op? I mean not criticizing at all. Just trying to wrap my head around it. I mean so if both players wanted to experience the whole thing they'd only be able to play on the one player's save? So the one player could move ahead in the game but the "joined" player could never play unless the host wanted to? Kind of confused.

I'm having an issue sort of like this.. I picked up the "Divinity Original Sin Digital Collectors edition" which comes with the dlc it says but it's not showing up as something I own? not sure what's going on with this..

I bought the CE, gifting the extra copy to a friend, and he ended up getting the older Divinity games and I'm guessing the DLC, because it doesn't say I own the license anywhere. Didn't expect it to work that way but oh well. Great game so far, regardless.

Hm. Weird, I don't have it listed there either - but it's definitely in game. My character is wearing Zandalor's trunks right now.

But the soundtrack isn't present anywhere...

Something is amiss.

Edit: It's on Steam's end. When you try to go to the DLC tab for DOS, it says there's no DLC available for the game. At all.

Zakalwe

Banned
so how is it really co-op? I mean not criticizing at all. Just trying to wrap my head around it. I mean so if both players wanted to experience the whole thing they'd only be able to play on the one player's save? So the one player could move ahead in the game but the "joined" player could never play unless the host wanted to? Kind of confused.

Well, the entire point of co-op is to play together, so I don't really see what the problem is.

Chaos17

That's what I think and experienced so far.
If the host want to continue the story without waiting for you he can.
Your character wil just be his automacly second companion like in the solo mode.
Sorry for my bad english.

Levyne

Banned
I went with Wizard and ....shadow something.

The entire contents of the book is in your "L" button recipe menu, so I can't imagine why you would need to hold onto them.

Yep, I noticed that which is why I was pretty sure it would be fine. Wasn't sure if there was some incentive to build up the library. Offloading some worthless books to these guards, then! (yes, I am still very early)

Are you pretty much free to sell crafting books once you've read them?

The entire contents of the book is in your "L" button recipe menu, so I can't imagine why you would need to hold onto them.

I went with a slightly modified Knight and Witch. Knight will be a little tankier, with no leadership stuff, and the Witch will supplement his combat abilities through her spells. (Once I hit a phys-immune enemy, I'm boned.)

Top Bottom