• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's loading the level in the background and killing video performance as a side effect.

Larian will be patching it to stop the background loading.

Always puzzled me why I can play a 1080p video in just about any video player that exists on the internet or built in to windows, then proceed to run my CPU to 100% utilization via background video encoding / copying files / running other games / you name it (and all that simultaneously even), and the video doesn't skip a frame. Meanwhile this is an incredibly rare feat in a game... seems so strange.

Always puzzled me why I can play a 1080p video in just about any video player that exists on the internet or built in to windows, then proceed to run my CPU to 100% utilization via background video encoding / copying files / running other games / you name it (and all that simultaneously even), and the video doesn't skip a frame. Meanwhile this is an incredibly rare feat in a game... seems so strange.

The engine is not designed specifically for it, I would guess.

I say this because Civ 5 uses a video to mask the main menu's loading screen, and it plays the video just fine (every. single. time. you had to see it).

So is the actual final game up now to play? I would love to be able to sink a few hours into this tonight.

Yup, it's been officially released. No more beta!

Hop in ASAP and experience the glorious freedom of the Original Sin.

Zukuu

Banned
IMO hybrid characters don't work very well in the game. At least for a big portion of the initial level ups and starting gear you find and remain to be ineffective at both roles compared to just a non-hybrid. The only exception is a Rogue / Archer hybrid due to sharing of the same main attribute. I do think it's good enough to get through the game, so play whatever you like - it'll be a bit harder tho.^^

Zakalwe

Banned
How does Global Chat work? My friend who lives about 20 miles away from me is typing in it and telling me on steam, but I don't see his text in game.

Conezays

Anyone have any opinions on the co-op yet? Going to try some later tonight with my friends, but sort of on the fence about how to spend my time (either on my game or "his," etc)

How does Global Chat work? My friend who lives about 20 miles away from me is typing in it and telling me on steam, but I don't see his text in game.

There's a global and local chat tab on the left part of the screen (by default) - and the chat is an entirely in-game affair. It will display your Steam Nickname and not your profile nickname IIRC, and I have no idea how it segments different players; I'd assume it's one big chat room.

I think global chat is down right now - or, at least, when I launched the game I didn't autoconnect to the global chat as I normally would in beta.

Realyn

I'm waiting for a new graphic card after my 460 gtx ripped. The 8800 gts apparently can't handle this game haha. Menu is already lagging like crazy :/.

jersoc

So I can't create a profile. the box doesnt do anything when I click on them.

Worked yesterday with the beta stuff :|

edit:looks like gedosato doesnt play well with the game.

They should have muted the ambient conversations while in dialog with NPCs. It's pretty annoying when you're reading conversation and you have to keep hearing the same 2 audio clips over and over from someone standing in the next room.

I'm having a really hard time reading while two nearby NPCs say the same lines over and over.

Zakalwe

Banned
There's a global and local chat tab on the left part of the screen (by default) - and the chat is an entirely in-game affair. It will display your Steam Nickname and not your profile nickname IIRC, and I have no idea how it segments different players; I'd assume it's one big chat room.

I think global chat is down right now - or, at least, when I launched the game I didn't autoconnect to the global chat as I normally would in beta.

My friend and I are both connected to Global, but can't see each other's text. It must split the playerbase somehow.

Would be cool if we could connect to the same channel. If anyone figures anything out would appreciate a heads up.

EDIT: nvm, we can see each other now. I have a feeling he was being insane and typing in a completely different window or something...

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I can't even start the game because I'm paralyzed with indecision. I don't have enough knowledge about the classes and skills to make an informed decision. I do at least know the classes the companions start with so that helps a bit, but still.

Just choose whatever you want to play as, you can switch the difficulty modes on the fly. Also there is a good tutorial dungeon at the start of the game and an easy battle before, during and after so you can learn about and experiment with the different types of gameplay.

IMO hybrid characters don't work very well in the game. At least for a big portion of the initial level ups and starting gear you find and remain to be ineffective at both roles compared to just a non-hybrid. The only exception is a Rogue / Archer hybrid due to sharing of the same main attribute. I do think it's good enough to get through the game, so play whatever you like - it'll be a bit harder tho.^^

I was using a modified Wayfarer to great effect with my Mage. The battles were significantly easier than using a Melee/Mage combination.

I believe the thinking behind Battlemage is to have a general melee fighter that has a few points in magic to pull off some additional moves for versatility in a battle. Many of the later game armors give bonuses to abilities like Intelligence, Constitution, Perception, etc. As it was, my Knight companion wasn't that much of a hybrid and spent most battles simply waiting as my two Mages and Ranger (Wayfarer) dominated the field.

Anyone have any opinions on the co-op yet? Going to try some later tonight with my friends, but sort of on the fence about how to spend my time (either on my game or "his," etc)

I think what my buddy and decided was to each have our save we are going to play solo.

Since I have the DLC (I gifted him a copy from the CE), I will host our "coop game" and just not touch that save file unless we are playing together.

I hope the replayability is good.

Ninja Edit: for the first playthrough, I think we are both going to just play it coop so we can experience it completely coop for the first time. Both of our wives don't give a shit when we say "Oh man, look at _____! That sword is badass!" etc etc. lol.

My friend and I are both connected to Global, but can't see each other's text. It must split the playerbase somehow.

Would be cool if we could connect to the same channel. If anyone figures anything out would appreciate a heads up.

EDIT: nvm, we can see each other now. I have a feeling he was being insane and typing in a completely different window or something...

Local and Global are separate tabs in the same window, so it's definitely possible to make that mistake.

Soi-Fong

So my friend decided to not get the game.. Shit.. I was hoping on playing coop with him.. Might just play SP then. Anyway, this game runs real well with gedosato!

Running the game currently at 4k downsampled to 1080p @ max settings for the game. Capped the frames at 30 and it never drops below.

For scaling, used Lanczos just for shits and giggles.

cIS.png

Ceebs

Getting all sorts of errors with the editor when I try to load any assets.

Have all the paths setup as shown in the topic on the Steam forums. no clue what is going on there.

crap. I was on the fence about this during the sale. I made a rule with myself that I wouldn't buy any early access games due to the issues surrounding them (remaining unfinished, abandoned by devs, etc). To be fair I hadn't done my research about this particular dev, that was just a blanket rule I had.

Also had no idea they would be going full release so soon after the sale. Looks like I missed out and may now have to pay full price. So far from this thread it seems like universal acclaim. Any complaints?

Quick question about loot.

Is it colored like your standard RPG to signify rarity?

I understand this is not an ARPG, just curious if loot hunting is a big part of the game or if once you get done with the story- you just start over because there isn't just much more to do? Or is somewhere in between?

Just curious. SIAP. Impulse buy here and haven't read much besides the steam store page and the last couple page shere.

Corpekata

Banned
My only complaint is the non stop chattering of NPCs near you. Especially in town they'll just talk over each other. Feels like their trigger radiuses need a major trim.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Whats the word on the CC, are there more options pop up, specifically for Portraits which were pretty limited. As well can we import our own portraits, I did a quick google search but came up empty, kind of glaring omission given the genre. I mean I'm guessing you could do it with the Editor but I'd rather not deal with all that shit if I don't have to.

oktarb

If anyone has a spare Buddy key from Steam I'd sure love it. Show pity on a divorce victim :D. I promise to pay it forward once my bank account isn't themed in nightmare tendrils.

Peff

Is there any way to have the hotspot "detective mode" as a toggle instead of holding ALT? Like in the beta I've hit the Windows key a couple of times, lol.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
game seems great, but I cant play this coop. I guess its the same reason I always solo in mmos, I want to do the quests, exploration and shit at my pace.

Munin

Think I'll hold out on this until another expansion or get it at a sale in a year. I know it's already supposed to be super polished but I'd rather wait for the ultimate modded / patched / expanded experience

Ashtar

Finally spent a little time with this, it's pretty fun, but like someone said the npc talking can get old quick. I just got to town and there's a boat on fire can't figure out how to put it out any tips?

My only two complaints so far would, firstly, be the incessant villager chatter (which should honestly have more environmental triggers or a way lower frequency) and, secondly, the sluggish responsiveness abilities have (because I always feel like it never triggers, and then try to use it again as it begins to finally cast).

Is there any way to have the hotspot "detective mode" as a toggle instead of holding ALT? Like in the beta I've hit the Windows key a couple of times, lol.

Can you change alt in the keybindings? I think that would be the best solution.

Also, keep in mind that ALT will only highlight what your selected character(s?) can perceive.

Top Bottom