• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Santiako

Done again until the Germany match finishes. This game is astounding, a true successor to Ultima. I'm loving every second.

The one thing I'm disliking is when there is a quickly looping conversation in the background, it gets really annoying. Hopefully they patch them so they don't talk so much.

Levyne

Banned
Haha, sometimes this game makes me feel a little dumb. There's a chest on the pier past a robe but I can't figure out how to cross it.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Finally spent a little time with this, it's pretty fun, but like someone said the npc talking can get old quick. I just got to town and there's a boat on fire can't figure out how to put it out any tips?

Answer:
Do you have a Rain scroll? Use it over the ship. You can find one near a corpse north of where you start the game. There is a second one in the tutorial dungeon near the part where the game taught you about using water barrels or spells to put out fire.

Ashtar

Answer:
Do you have a Rain scroll? Use it over the ship. You can find one near a corpse north of where you start the game. There is a second one in the tutorial dungeon near the part where the game taught you about using water barrels or spells to put out fire.
Of course! good thing I saved it

Xaero

Neo Member
Well, I seem to have to resort to a walkthrough constantly and I'm still in the city.

The game seems really nice, but I'm finding the lack of quest information a bit frustrating, at least for me. I have to look something up in a walkthrough and then I'm like "how the HELL was I meant to know to do that?"

I know it's probably just me :)

Mognet

how come there's no dialogue options for both main characters anymore? i haven't encountered dialogue options for my partner yet

is this related to personalities being removed for launch or something?

Soi-Fong

Try this also. Durante suggested it.

please check the value "LoadAppInit_DLLs" in the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows".

You have to go to regedit.exe.

Set the value to 1. That fixed it for me.

Edit: Another screenshot.

lIS.png

Can anyone who's spent a bit of time with the game in early access tell me if any of the stats or skills are "dump" stats that go nowhere? I like building my characters without relying on guides, but before I do that I prefer to know if anything is just plain useless.

pix

Wow maybe it is just me but this game is tough as shit. Died 2 times to a random encounter in the world. Maybe I am in a high level area or something :(

I decided to only downsample from 2880x1620 so I could still hit 60 FPS. In-game vsync is still weird and totally broken. Sometimes loads at half the refresh rate before fixing itself. And even then dropping one frame sends it plummeting to 30(even though I never drop below 58)

Probably GOTY.

Suck it, dragon age.

Always room for both :p

so is there a concept of farming for loot or is it just level up this char and then level up this char?

just kinda curious for end game stuff

Gothos

That forced co-op is already pissing me off. With the AI set to random the other character can meddle in quest which can result in unwanted results (he wanted to sell the shell at the start, I didn't, he won, I felt pissed...) and when I set it to loyal he's just brainless zombie-pet zombie with stupid comments in dialogs. Why Larian, why you pushed this co-op down our throat... *sigh*

antitrop

I'm not a veteran of the old-school PC RPGs, but I did donate to the Pillars of Eternity kickstarter and I'm excited for that. Would this be a nice little warm up for that? This actually looks really interesting.

I'm not interested in co-op or multiplayer, I don't really know anything about this game. Just saw it pop up on Steam. So I guess I'm most interested in how it plays by yourself.

Skirn

What kind of an AI Personality did you guys pick? I'm not sure if I'm digging Loyal. It's a bit dull having the companion agreeing with you all the time.

Can the companion affect the outcome of a quest if it's Random and he/she manages to out-charm my character?

And what's the point of having it on No AI? I'm guessing you make the choices for him/her?

Levyne

Banned
How do you merge items? I have two bags of bonedust....or is it like equipment (branches, technically) that can't be merged?

Durante

I played for 4 hours or so now, and so far I'm incredibly impressed. The UI, the battle system, the level of interactivity with the world, the humour (both in the scenarios in the game and developing naturally in co-op) and the sheer magnificent scope of it is all just as good (or even better) than I expected. And I expected a lot from this game.

Sadly, my co-op partner is a responsible person and so I need to stop playing now.

So good.

Clydefrog

You fuckers I still have 4 hours of work. Then 3 hours of taking care of baby. Don't grow up.

I know the feeling (except for the baby part -- I'm playing this game right after dinner tonight)

I played for 4 hours or so now, and so far I'm incredibly impressed. The UI, the battle system, the level of interactivity with the world, the humour (both in the scenarios in the game and developing naturally in co-op) and the sheer magnificent scope of it is all just as good (or even better) than I expected. And I expected a lot from this game.

Sadly, my co-op partner is a responsible person and so I need to stop playing now.

So good.

Oh man oh man oh man

Sothpaw

I'm not a veteran of the old-school PC RPGs, but I did donate to the Pillars of Eternity kickstarter and I'm excited for that. Would this be a nice little warm up for that? This actually looks really interesting.

I'm not interested in co-op or multiplayer, I don't really know anything about this game. Just saw it pop up on Steam. So I guess I'm most interested in how it plays by yourself.

I am a veteran of the PC rpgs. Yes, this game is absolutely worth your time if you are interested in Pillars. To be honest, I would be happy if Pillars turns out this well.

jersoc

Try this also. Durante suggested it.

please check the value "LoadAppInit_DLLs" in the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows".

You have to go to regedit.exe.

Set the value to 1. That fixed it for me.

Edit: Another screenshot.

it is, still doesnt work. oh well. no big deal

got it to work with forcealways on true

Serra

So how's the dialog writing quality in this? On par with the old Black Isle crpgs? Decent amount of humor present as well?

The tone is very different.

Most of the time the Black Isle RPGs were very serious.
Most of the time Divinity is pretty light-hearted and humorous. Im not talking about Fable type farts and gags everywhere though. I do think the writing is pretty good!

aravuus

I'm not a veteran either, in fact, I'm not really into the traditional isometric dnd style cRPGs at all.

Now I'm taking a break after playing the game non-stop for 5 hours. Buy it.

MayMay

Banned
Been playing for 2 hours now, accidentally discovered the
Homestead
- didn't know it existed so that came out of nowhere lol

Really liking it so far, need to take care of some other things right now though so I can't continue.

And I'll probably restart the game next time I play, not sure if I'm happy with my Knight+Witch setup.

Nete

Starting a coop game, and oh shit, I have no idea what to create as char (nor what I really want to play).

So many options with the char creator *_*

Ludovico

Set my account name as well as my male PC as "Jake".

Early story spoilers, maybe
I am already dead.

Going in completely blind, I had no idea what was going on, but now it makes sense.

Game is awesome so far, just about to enter the main city I think.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I caved in and bought it. I'm starting 99% blind with a Wayfarer and a Cleric. I know the classes of the two available companions, so I'll try to adjust to that.

Serra

so is there a concept of farming for loot or is it just level up this char and then level up this char?

just kinda curious for end game stuff

I think you misunderstood what type of game this is.

Divinity: Original Sin is a singleplayer (or 2 player co-op) 'oldschool' (although very modern in many ways!) RPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate or Fallout. There is no "end game" in the way MMO's or Diablo have, where you grind for better gear, pvp and such, never ending. You finish the story, you are done. Sure, there is lots of replay value, different choices to make, different character builds, do sidequests you missed etcc but ultimately you will go through the story and thats it.

So, I've googled it and didn't find an answer... is there a respec option? I bought the game on sale yesterday because of this thread, so I need to know how comfortable I need to get with the game's systems before leveling up.

OmegaDL50

I love this game.

Combat is amazing and I love the banter between my two characters. It makes them seem more lively and gives them personality. It scratches an itch very few create-a-character with preset personalities pull off.

Although my Graphics Card fan is rather loud when I play this game. I'm just using the games auto-preset which was set to Ultra so my PC should be able to handle it.

I mean not even fully modded Skyrim with ENB causes my GPU to make much noise.

I have a HD7950, I should be able to reasonably max this game out without issues.

Top Bottom