• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

I think Swen said: No romance, but your two main characters could develop something along the way if depending on their interactions.

From what I have seen, it's not fully blown romance like Mass Effect, but it will have an effect on conversation options and how your two main characters react to each other.

Conversation options pop up at certain points, and you'll get -/+ in certain relationship and personality attributes based on your choices. Not sure about how it will affect the gameplay (like if one will refuse to do something based on your relationship).

Interested to see how in depth it is too.

Swen: "This is not a Bioware kind of game"

Well that's disappointing ... and that "Bioware" jab is outta place seeing how it's pretty damn common place in lots of rpgs from what I have seen at least (as someone who normally plays JRPGs and the like at least. Rune Factory was my first exposure to that in a rpg and FE:A was my latest ...) :/

Guess I'm gonna have to wait for Dragon Age ...

Munin

Well that's disappointing ... and that "Bioware" jab is outta place seeing how it's pretty damn common place in lots of rpgs from what I have seen at least (as someone who normally plays JRPGs and the like at least. Rune Factory was my first exposure to that in a rpg and FE:A was my latest ...) :/

So you're not playing one of the best CRPGs in years because there's no virtual romance.

OK then

So you're not playing one of the best CRPGs in years because there's no virtual romance.

OK then

Hmmm? Never said that lol!

I meant that my romance fix will have to wait for DA (Cause the only 2 rpgs I have on my radar now are this game and KoA:R ... and I know for a fact KoA has none).

Though now I wanna buy RF4 ...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Almost 10,000 people playing this right now.

Me to every one of them since I'm still stuck at work for 4 more hours.

7tTfGBT.gif

HoosTrax

I don't care for romance in games tbh, especially Bioware games.
I actually didn't mind it as much in Baldur's Gate (although the Jaheira plot line did get overly sappy at times) because the game simply left it up to your imagination and faded out to a black screen.

But my god, the awful cutscenes in Mass Effect and DA:O. Just, no.

Damaniel

Banned
Toolkit/Editor is up on Steam: Divinity Engine (360 mb)

This is a good thing. The editor is much more likely to get some use if it's released alongside the game, not as a months-later afterthought.

Sadly, I only had a chance to play for a few minutes this morning before I went to work. From the small amount I've seen, the game seems even more polished than before, and the voice acting is decent (though the echo and reverb of voices in the tutorial dungeon is a little excessive). Performance is still a bit of an issue - the PC I'm playing on, which has a single GeForce GTX 680, has quite noticeable frame rate issues if I set the graphics settings above medium (the game defaults to 'Ultra', but the game only runs at about 15fps there). As long as things stay at medium, I get 60fps all the time at 1440p resolution, but I would have expected things to be a bit more optimized. In the end, the game still looks perfectly fine even at reduced settings, so I'm not that concerned.

Laekon

Is there any place to see the skill trees? Its hard to make skill choices when I don't know what type of spell types fall under air.

Has any game had the ability to transfer saves between a Mac and PC? I want to start this now on my rMBP and then continue on my PC in a few weeks.

Didn't realize anyone actually enjoyed the shallow, cringeworthy romances in Bioware games.
Never played a Bioware game so I wouldn't know lol.

Well, you sort of proved his point. This isn't really a thing in most RPGs, and there IS a relationship system, just not a fanfic-esque "let's hang out until we raw dog each other, 'cause that's the end of the line for this relationship's development" thing. Which is exactly what he means by not being like a "Bioware" game, because that's what happens in those.

Not sure how I'm proving his point if he thinks "romance system...!" is a Bioware thing.

If that's wut they mean then I take it they should be a bit clearer about that ... cause from what I have seen of the game it would be very strange if you can't reach a level of love between 2 characters.

Not like I'm not getting it either way ... but I know it wont be anytime should (got a RPG backlog now :/ )

Xaero

Neo Member
Does anyone know if cloud saves work? It says Cloud is supported but I just loaded the game on my Macbook after playing on my PC and there's nothing there? :(

Zukuu

Banned
I'm getting an endless error loop when I try to start the editor.
"Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indicator that other memory is corrupt".

Does that have something to do with steam?

Phinor

As someone who never plays JRPGs, that Bioware jab feels exactly right. I can't remember the last time I played non-Bioware RPG that actually had romance options. Bioware games on the other hand seem to always have them.

Didn't realize anyone actually enjoyed the shallow, cringeworthy romances in Bioware games.

Hey, the ones in BG2 weren't bad. Jaheira is probably still my favorite. Honestly I didn't mind them in KOTOR, Hordes of the Underdark, or Jade Empire either. Now granted they've fallen a bit far since then, but I think the concept is sound. Also, as someone who has played what feels like thousands of jrpg's, I appreciate when a romance actually goes somewhere and exists. Can't even accurately explain how many times I've cursed at the screen while character A is pinning over character B and they both really love each other, but don't have enough confidence to speak up and...I'm done here. Already raged.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Sadly, I only had a chance to play for a few minutes this morning before I went to work. From the small amount I've seen, the game seems even more polished than before, and the voice acting is decent (though the echo and reverb of voices in the tutorial dungeon is a little excessive). Performance is still a bit of an issue - the PC I'm playing on, which has a single GeForce GTX 680, has quite noticeable frame rate issues if I set the graphics settings above medium (the game defaults to 'Ultra', but the game only runs at about 15fps there). As long as things stay at medium, I get 60fps all the time at 1440p resolution, but I would have expected things to be a bit more optimized. In the end, the game still looks perfectly fine even at reduced settings, so I'm not that concerned.

Getting this too, though I have a 660 GTX if I turn it up above medium I get massive cuts in framerate even if my system defaults to Ultra. There's no way this game is more demanding than The Witcher 2.

syko de4d

"Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indicator that other memory is corrupt".

Is the game/editor maybe installed under C:/Program Files(or Program Files (x86))? That could create problems.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How long does it take to find new companions. I rolled a knight and an enchanter, and the first two companions I found were a
knight and an enchanter! Uggggh

Decado

How is crafting in this game? Is it something genuinely useful for all character types or more a novelty?

I've always preferred getting things from shops, myself. But all the fuss about the crafting system makes me wonder what I may miss out on.

Arulan

Well my friend and I have found a solution to the beta key problem. Essentially I upgraded to the second key he was going to gift to a friend and I sent that friend my copy of the game. If I had to wait 4 days for Valve or their "beta removal system" to be implemented I would have lost it. Now to enjoy the game.

SashaNein

Unconfirmed Member
So I have taken the talent Stench (-20 attitude with everybody), and everybody seems to say "What do you want?" when I first talk to them, and a "And stay gone!" when I end the conversation (all voice acted).

Even animals. I've had a sheep and a cow actually speak to me, without pet pal!

Zukuu

Banned

solved it by re-installing .NET

Zakalwe

Banned
How do the "henchmen" work in this game?

They silent party members. From what I gather they're partially levelled or maybe even set, the comments hinted at there being enough to cover all bases so I think at least the classes are set.

Someone told me they react to certain event too, like thy could turn on you if you attack a specific NP they're loyal too while they're in your party. Not actually looked into this yet, would love to hear more if anyone knows if it's true.

Decado

Henchmen are basically companions that barely talk and do not have quests.

Yeah, I got that, but can you level them up, are there tons of them to choose from? Do you "hire" them for gold or something? Do you have access to their inventory? etc.

aravuus

Love the global chat, everyone's helpful in a very rude way lol. Ask how to lockpick and there's going to be at least two dudes going "ugh, fucking noobs/plebs/idiots, use the pick and click the door" or something haha

No need for posturing now.

I like the relationships in BIoware games, they're fun.

They are fun, yeah.

But they are pretty cringeworthy and shallow too, I think it's kind of hard to deny it.

Murtrod

I bought this game off Early Access earlier this year, and was very underwhelmed at the stage it was in. I take months off of it, and come back maybe 5 days ago (?), and what an improvement. This game is stellar. Great set of mechanics, customization, characters, lore, everything. Very happy with spending the $40. Must play for anyone.

So I have taken the talent Stench (-20 attitude with everybody), and everybody seems to say "What do you want?" when I first talk to them, and a "And don't come back" when I end the conversation (all voice acted).

Even animals. I've had a sheep and a cow actually speak to me, without pet pal!
What do you want?

Were you expecting something different when you chose a talent called STENCH? Animals can smell too, you know.. in some cases, even better than humans.

And don't come back.

What are the names of the two companions? Trying to find them in the editor.

Madora
is the Warrior

and I can't remember the name of the other one.

Top Bottom