• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Chaos17

Lucky find certainly doesn't help my container opening OCD, either.

Steal things. You'll have plenty of money soon.

And I think the lack of explicit tutorials is to get you to explore and experiment. This is a sandbox rpg, you're supposed to root around in it. It's amazing, the discovery is a huge part of the fun.

For something like crafting, I prefer moder ui crafting system :p

True story:

I was really struggling over paying $13 for this on the Steam sale. I looked up some videos, watched 4-5 of them and after some internal back 'n forth I decided it might be worth the price. I went back into Steam and saw the price was actually $31 on sale.

I didn't buy it, lol.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
You can get the game for 8 keys, it's not going to be cheaper than that any time soon.

scotcheggz

I'm so glad this snuck up on me, I didn't even know it existed until the steam sale. I picked it up thinking I'll play it later, maybe when it's out of early access, finish some other games first, then found out it released today as a full version?! AWESOME.

Played it for about 2 hours so far, got almost nowhere and loving it. Don't think I've gotten into reading in an RPG so much since Neverwinter Nights.

Gaz_RB

True story:

I was really struggling over paying $13 for this on the Steam sale. I looked up some videos, watched 4-5 of them and after some internal back 'n forth I decided it might be worth the price. I went back into Steam and saw the price was actually $31 on sale.

I didn't buy it, lol.

Not really into RPGs?

Or are you poor

Levyne

Banned
Made my way to a secret in the (city area)
graveyard
and I need a break, haha. I found a 3rd party member in the city, which really helps.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Played about a hour and half of the game so far (haven't even got to the first hub yet). But my god the game is incredible, the interface, combat and role-playing all feels incredibly right.

My two characters (both player-controlled) are already starting to develop their own distinctive personalities with my female rogue/wizard hybrid leaning towards the alignment of chaotic neutral with a bit of a evil streak within, while my male cleric being more of a lawful do-gooder.

Always amusing to see them clash!

Ludovico

Played for about an hour and a half, using the default characters changing only their names.
Apparently I missed out on allocating 5 stat points for each of them?

If so, guess I might restart while I still can...

Could use some help!
So i dug up the grave and learned that Jake's burial was a sham. I can't figure out where to go now. Also, where in the city do i find the mage companion? I found the knight lady.

lokeloski

Quick question: is blacksmith working or am I doing something wrong? I'm using a sword on a whestone, the pop-up menu appears saying what will result from it (a sword with a slightly different name and stats), but in the end nothing happens.

My character is getting tired of grinding the sword in the stone to no result : (

Not really into RPGs?

Or are you poor

Well, I was looking at Steam sales, so $31 could buy like, 50 games. I'll buy it when it's cheap as dirt. That's how I buy my PC games.

Does this game support multi monitor displays? I couldn't find an offical answer anywhere.

Sothpaw

Well, I was looking at Steam sales, so $31 could buy like, 50 games. I'll buy it when it's cheap as dirt. That's how I buy my PC games.

Does this game support multi monitor displays? I couldn't find an offical answer anywhere.

I am a quality over quantity guy myself.

Fighter, or Cleric. Help me. I can't...

Fighter for my main. I figure Fighter is the most laser-focused class at start, therefore allowing me a little leeway to throw some points into Personality.

And am I crazy for wanting to play through this game without stealing? I happen to think that Source Hunters still stand for honor and virtue, and would never lower themselves to petty thievery. You're all a bunch of heathens.

Not really into RPGs?

Or are you poor

I'm in his boat ...

Love me some RPGs.
Broke and need to be smart about money.
Spent a decent amount of cash on Steam sales already (including RPGs like KoA).
Not gonna play any of these games anytime soon so no rush really.

I imagine the distraction system will have to be patched at some point right? Being able to have one character talk to a npc infinitely (and turn their gaze towards you) and allow the other to steal at will seems a bit overpowered. Certainly nice though :D

Zukuu

Banned
Damn this game is so much fun. I knew it would be the right decision to not play past the first fight in the beta. I've stumbled already over so many side quests and optional stuff to do with creative solutions to many quests. Game might be GOTY for me already.

kafiend

Could use some help!
So i dug up the grave and learned that Jake's burial was a sham. I can't figure out where to go now. Also, where in the city do i find the mage companion? I found the knight lady.

Check your log carefully about the different parts you might have still to follow up on. It won't nessecarily be in order depending on how you did stuff. Anyway, I'm not sure if its a pet pal ability or not but the dog running around the grave was and will be very helpful. Also don't get it killed by erm... meddling with graves.

/end redaction

Unrelated, but its a bit too easy to sell your DLC grail so be careful all:(

Decado

Does skill power increase with your level in addition to its primary attribute (int, dex, str etc.)?

Also, can someone confirm if critical hits can happen with spells/skills? Want to know if perception is any use to a mage...

*currently resenting waiting for his co-op partner*

Is there a way to use the same characters across co-op and single-player? Trying to do co-op with a buddy at the same point in the game as me, and it's looking like we're going to have to start from the beginning (which is fine).

Is there a way to use the same characters across co-op and single-player? Trying to do co-op with a buddy at the same point in the game as me, and it's looking like we're going to have to start from the beginning (which is fine).

Yeah, I was wondering about this. How does multiplayer work? Do we both start from the beginning? Do we reach a point where we can freely join other people's games? If I want to do both, do I start a multiplayer game but is there a way to turn off other people joining?

Santiako

For those worried about classes in their party, I was checking and there seem to be a massive amount of henchmen of every class available :p

OmegaDL50

Any who is still on the fence and turned away at the idea of turn based combat.

Two of the best PC RPGs, notably Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights could be actively paused giving you time to enter commands and cast spells and did not detract from the experience.

IF you enjoyed Baldur's Gate and NeverWinter Nights, there is TONS to enjoy in Divinity: Original Sin.

Putting the money down is worth it. The game is THAT good.

Conezays

Any who is still on the fence and turned away at the idea of turn based combat.

Two of the best PC RPGs, notably Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights could be actively paused giving you time to enter commands and cast spells and did not detract from the experience.

IF you enjoyed Baldur's Gate and NeverWinter Nights, there is TONS to enjoy in Divinity: Original Sin.

Putting the money down is worth it. The game is THAT good.

I just recently went through Baldur's Gate 2 and prefer Original Sin's combat.

*dons flame shield*

I generally find myself with the OCD tendency others have of opening everything or stealing everything...so I make a pact with myself to generally not open anything but chests and not to steal rampantly. It makes these games go so much smoother. I also don't get unbalancedly wealthy either.

So far I'm really loving the game, at a minor roadblock in the murder quest cause I can't tell if he game expects me to steal to continue or if there's other means of advancing it. I'll weigh my options a little more.

seph1roth

First fight with orcs at the beach on hard difficulty was...well, very difficult for me.

If I hadn't let those mercenaries kill the big orcs, i couldn't have finished that fight.

for those with multiplayer questions, taken from here:

Here's how co-op works because I imagine it's going to come up a lot:

One of you will be the host, they hold the savegame. Go to Options-> Game -> Multiplayer and set your visibility accordingly. For example, if you'd like to mostly play solo and have Steam friends hotseat in from time to time, toggle it to Friends. From the main menu, New Game -> Multiplayer will take you to the character creation lobby. A buddy can now Join you from the main menu and create their own character, or you can make both yourself. To load a coop game in progress, just have the host load the save game and whomever can join.

Really, hosting a Multiplayer works entirely the same as single player except you can have a buddy or random internet stranger (not recommended) control half your party. Quicksave before a fight. Something went horribly wrong? Quickload just like in single player and your coop buddy loads right back with you seamlessly. You don't control their inventory but again they can't really gently caress you over SAVE OFTEN and worst case just quit the game and reload it on your own, play it single player.

Edit: oh I forgot, when you hit "b" (default) to toggle overhead/isometric view, it also highlights enemies red and allies blue. Extremely useful.

Burt

First fight with orcs at the beach on hard difficulty was...well, very difficult for me.

If I hadn't let those mercenaries kill the big orcs, i couldn't have finished that fight.
The game really doesn't mess around early on, especially if you don't have a good class duo to start. Gets much easier once you round your squad out and gear up a bit better.

I just recently went through Baldur's Gate 2 and prefer Original Sin's combat.

*dons flame shield*

Nothing wrong with that. It's essentially the system from Temple of Elemental Evil, and a lot of people think that game has one of the best combat systems a WRPG has ever had.

matmanx1

Just remember folks "no one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!"

One of the many things I learned tonight in Cyseal. This game is a complete blast and the trademark Larian humor is everywhere. I dig it.

Chaos17

No, only your party/characters will be availble for the co-op since it's registered ON YOUR computer. It's not saved on the cloud or on online server.

Yeah, I was wondering about this. How does multiplayer work? Do we both start from the beginning? Do we reach a point where we can freely join other people's games? If I want to do both, do I start a multiplayer game but is there a way to turn off other people joining?

Yes, you can play your solo party and open it when you want.
For example at the moment, my buddy is re-playing solo the game from the begining.
He set up his party as multiplayer option but can still solo it so I can jump when I want.

Rad-

Game is really good but I'm already tired of the rock paper scissors minigame. They should change that to just attribute checks or something.

Zeliard

Cooperative dialog when you're playing by yourself seems a bit mental.

Yes, that aspect right now is quite clumsy until they add in A.I. personalities.

Game is really good but I'm already tired of the rock paper scissors minigame. They should change that to just attribute checks or something.

You should be able to auto-resolve it at least by hitting space bar.

Zukuu

Banned
just set your companion to "LOYAL" for now. You can also just disable the feature mid came by disabling dual dialog in the options.

Uhh, so I can't claim my two digital keys? They were "awaiting delivery" or whatever it was yesterday. Now they're gone from my Kickstarter page on Larian Vault and it's just my two alpha keys.

The page said those would become un-usable and we'd have to put in the new digital keys. Did they just auto-convert the alpha/beta keys to release keys?

Top Bottom