• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Levyne

Banned
My mistake. It's a steamcloud arrowhead. I guess that's something else? Looks like a fire icon though.

Edit: Ah, now it says not enough crafting. I didn't notice that before.

Yeah, sometimes I have to move the UI so that I can see my characters to see if the "not enough crafting" appears. Wonder if there's a better way to do that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How important is healing magic in this game?

I'm thinking of starting as a Fighter and Cleric, but that sounds a bit boring. I'd like to have some ranged damage, too.

Santiako

I have no clue why Spears / Trident / Halberds are even in the game. So far EVERY SINGLE ONE of the same level deals less min damage than 2h swords and similar max damage, but also having a worse crit modifier. They cost the same AP to use too. Only difference is that they do Piercing Damage.

Maybe piercing is amazing later on.

Clydefrog

Played this for like an hour last night and beat the trial dungeon. Wow, this is going to be special.

I might just go back and replay Divine Divinity first though.

Aeana

How important is healing magic in this game?

I'm thinking of starting as a Fighter and Cleric, but that sounds a bit boring. I'd like to have some ranged damage, too.
You can get healing magic via one of the companions who joins you. But it's important to have, because otherwise you'll need to use potions or food to heal.

Tizoc

How the heck does the combat in this game work? I tried doing an area attack but my character just stood there doing it away from enemies. I take it I gotta click on a character, move them then perform their attack?

Zukuu

Banned
So like with most other games, crafting/alchemy is a waste of time save for a very select few receipies. I've begun to not bother with it anymore except for making arrow heads, which seem to be the only REALLY useful crafts.

So which combinations have you found for arrow heads?

What I've found regarding arrows:
Axe + Log = Branches
Branches + Knife = 3 Arrow Shafts
Knife + Teeth = Stunning Arrow heads
Silver + Anvil = Silver Arrow heads
Arrow Head + Drudanae= ??? (not enough crafting)

Levyne

Banned
So like with most other games, crafting/alchemy is a waste of time save for a very select few receipies. I've begun to not bother with it anymore except for making arrow heads, which seem to be the only REALLY useful crafts.

So which combinations have you found for arrow heads?

What I've found regarding arrows:
Axe + Log = Branches
Branches + Knife = 3 Arrow Shafts
Knife + Teeth = Stunning Arrow heads

That third one! ooooo I was thinking they would just make bonedust but couldn't grind them.

Klyka

Banned
How the heck does the combat in this game work? I tried doing an area attack but my character just stood there doing it away from enemies. I take it I gotta click on a character, move them then perform their attack?

It's turn based.
You move whichever characters turn it is. If you have an AOE you can target it will show up for you to target. If you have an AOE that just appears around your chracter,that will happen.

erragal

Regarding ACTION POINTS:

Did a little experimenting.

Speed - base AP - start AP - round AP

6 - 7 - 7 - 6
7 - 7 - 8 - 7
8 - 7 - 8 - 7
9 - 7 - 9 - 8
10 - 7 - 9 - 8
11 - 7 - 10 - 9

Essentially you get +1 start and round AP per 2 points of Speed.

It may change later on with higher Speed.

Start AP is Speed+Percetion/2. AP cap is based on constitution. Initiative is also based on speed/perception. AP/round is speed alone.

erragal

You can make spell books out of scrolls. You shouldn't rush to judgement at all.

Not to mention that food is extraordinarily powerful. Also if you want to play a zombie learning posion recipes is valuable.

Tizoc

It's turn based.
You move whichever characters turn it is. If you have an AOE you can target it will show up for you to target. If you have an AOE that just appears around your chracter,that will happen.

OK i seem to getting the hang of it now.

-Snooze-

Banned
This game is either quite hard, or my characters are useless. Played it for about 4 hours, just messing about in the town until
I started investigating the murder, and had to go out to the North West beach
I got my arse handed to me several times, outside the city is literally no mans land

Klyka

Banned
As someone already said, food is really good btw. Getting +1 to some stats or even +2 is like a temporary level up that can equal the playing field against the mobs.

I really believe Larian wanted people to use all their options in some of these fights.

Levyne

Banned
I took one feather and made it a magic feather, and one feather and turned it into a quill. The quill I can combine with ink. Found nothing for the feather yet. No related craft books helping either.

I love that the crafting books are "in-lore" so to speak.

Aeana

or you can just buy them. :X

I'm glad you didn't design this game, or we'd only have fighter and wizard, no crafting system, and probably most of the other interesting options that make this game interesting would be gone as well. For a fan of these kinds of RPGs, you seem to be really against alternative options. All of your posts seem to advocate brute forcing in one way or another. The game presents all sorts of options for accomplishing the same tasks. It's great.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Good game, really like how it doesn't hold your hand. You're given really minimal direction and the freedom feels good.

I like how the outskirts in the start kick your ass.. and there's no shortage of things that will utterly fuck your shit up. F5 is your best friend.

That said.. what's the best solution to healing.. potions are godawful expensive.. and I fucked up by not choosing a path that allows me to cast... should I get a heal spell ASAP?

Klyka

Banned
I'm glad you didn't design this game, or we'd only have fighter and wizard, no crafting system, and probably most of the other interesting options that make this game interesting would be gone as well. For a fan of these kinds of RPGs, you seem to be really against alternative options. All of your posts seem to advocate brute forcing in one way or another. The game presents all sorts of options for accomplishing the same tasks. It's great.

Some people just see a min max and they HAVE to run with it.

Hupsel

I LOVE rogues in rpgs, are they good in this game? One thing that bothers me is that when the character is sneaking he is like a... giant rock? Looks kinda weird lol.

erragal

What's required for this?

Specifics are on the larian forums but it requires the exact spell scroll +
a blank magical spell book
. I know a common complaint is that you can't make specific magical scrolls that you know and it's random.

I don't know the method for making
blank books
however. I'm trying to accumulate a ton of ingredients before I fiddle too much. Also I lost my pragmatic trait last night so my crafting is only at one again :/.

The games crafting heavily rewards logical experiments and reading the guidebooks. The crafting guidebooks often have more recipes than you might think at first glance; pay close attention to the wording.

Zukuu

Banned
Nah, I love options.^^ I just like to play efficient. Not hardcore min-maxing, but doing it reasonable is something I strive for. I love to find alternative solutions to beat the game at itself (e.g. Fallout, where I crafted 30 mines and lured them to a small passageway and killed way, way, way, way, higher level stuff). I tinkered around with crafting, that's why I came to the conclusion that it's not worth it (for me) to bother with that item management. I LOVE to keep things ordered, so a full inventory is a sore thumb to me. Finally getting rid of everything just felt sooooo good. xD Now I have 2 back packs, 1 with arrow-crafting stuff and 1 with quest related stuff. Only potions and new loot in my main bag. <3
That said, I don't bother with Alchemy in most games, with the exception of Gothic / Risen, and even there only for +strength potions. In Skyrim the armor you could create was actually worth it, so there as well. I do a bit of black smithing too here, tho I wonder what you need level 2 for. You can make everything at level 1 as far as I've seen.

I haven't seen all the books on sale for which I have seen/found scrolls.
it's random which turn up. They are also level depended. At level 2 I've only seen up to level 4 books. At level 6 up to 10. So I imagine the vendor will use your level for his own stock.
The stuff you can craft is also random (weapons and skillbooks).

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
To heal up? Just lay on a bed. I dunno if there's an option for out of town like sleeping bags or tents.

Yeah, I accidentally discovered this while searching a room. *Character lies down* "Oh! Well, I guess that makes sense."

Aeana

Latest patch notes

- Fixed: Crashes on saving
- Fixed: Dialogs locking up when talking to certain npcs with two players
- Fixed: Extremely big pool of blood
- Fixed: Cloud artefacts
- Fixed: Crash during unlearning active skills
- Fixed: Steam cloud saving (the Steam from Valve that is, the Steam cloud in game was already working :) )
- Fixed: German and French translation artefacts. You still need to manually activate the subtitles in the options screen. We'll make it automatic on the next update.
- Fixed: Corruption caused by video playback on Mac

Santiako

So is everybody rolling with the two mains + Jahan and Medora? I didn't stand Medora so I hired a ranger henchman that has been very good.

My party (lvl4): Roderick (Knight), Scarlett (Witchcraft+Pyro+Geo), Jahan (Aero+Hydro) and Luna (Ranger).

erragal

or you can just buy them. :X

You should meet the guy on the larian forums who was furious when he found out shop vendors were fixed and sold very few low level spells. It's very possible your only solution is to craft a spell book...or find it randomly exploring.

Part of the game design is you cannot rely on a specific character progression to guarentee your tactical plans. You have to use what the random generation hands you to make do with the challenges presented. Scrolls are far more common than spell books.

Also you have limited spell space till level 5 of an ability. This means some of the weaker spells you may want to leave as scrolls until later (Farseer I'm looking at you!!)

d1rtn4p

I think it's a pretty good game, especially for a Kickstarter. I can't get past the nagging feeling that everything was made on a budget. I guess you'd say there's a little "jankyness" to everything.

Been playing CRPGs since the 80s though, so I'm probably a little picky. Weather, day/night schedule; all things that have been in RPGs for 30 years now that would have helped make it more atmospheric. It's not really sucking me in yet, and the dialogue/story is nothing special. I do like the opening quest though, great throwback to Ultima 7.

Don't mean to sound negative here, I've been starved for a good CRPG and this definitely seems like it's going to scratch the itch.

Klyka

Banned
Is there anyway to rest in this game?

Lie on a bed, sit on a bench/chair/anything you can sit on.

This will dramatially increase your HP regeneration.

^ I think it'd be weird to have changing weather when you can magically change the weather in every battle XD

Gaz_RB

So is everybody rolling with the two mains + Jahan and Medora? I didn't stand Medora so I hired a ranger henchman that has been very good.

My party (lvl4): Roderick (Knight), Scarlett (Witchcraft+Pyro+Geo), Jahan (Aero+Hydro) and Luna (Ranger).

Yeah I kicked Medora out too. Super annoying. I hope we get some cool user created mod companions at some point.

Top Bottom