• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

VandalD

so Divinity sure crashes a lot :/
That's sad to hear. My one crash happened while bartering, and I've got a playtime of at least 10 hours now.

The one major complaint I have about the game is that it takes upwards to 30 seconds to do a quicksave. Which isn't very quick.

Taruranto

Played a bit around, but everything I went a little too far I couldn't get out of the feeling I was playing an "incomplete" product because of the stuff that will patched later. I will put it on-hold until they patch the 2 NPCs and the personalities in.

Random comments:

- Teleporting magic seems cool
- IU is excellent
- Casket/etc are OCD worst nightmare lol I'll need to learn to ignore most of them, or now way I'll progress ever in this game
- Battle System is quite fun
- There is random shit like the ability to talk to animals which is always fun
- Merchants voices are super-annoying, can't believe it got past the beta <_<
- Probably my biggest pet-peeve, writing and setting are kinda generic so far, wasn't really impressed

Gaz_RB

That's sad to hear. My one crash happened while bartering, and I've got a playtime of at least 10 hours now.

The one major complaint I have about the game is that it takes upwards to 30 seconds to do a quicksave. Which isn't very quick.

I put it on my SSD and it definitely improved that HDD loading/saving was just too much.

Klyka

Banned

I never had a quicksave on screen for longer than 2 seconds.
Must be you mate.

Aeana

Does anyone have any experience with crossbows? I haven't found any yet / don't know how to make them, but I remember reading somewhere that they did a lot more damage than bows. I have been holding onto skill points for my ranger in case I came across a crossbow, but no luck just yet.

Gaz_RB

Does anyone have any experience with crossbows? I haven't found any yet / don't know how to make them, but I remember reading somewhere that they did a lot more damage than bows. I have been holding onto skill points for my ranger in case I came across a crossbow, but no luck just yet.

I'm wondering this too, as I set crossbow as my first skill. Hoping to find one soon.

chubbytired

Neo Member
So my girlfriend and I were doing an early game fight in Cyseal and kept reloading because a nearby dog would join the fight and get killed. Eventually she had the idea of throwing a bone to 'try and distract it'.

But here's the thing.

IT WORKED. She threw the bone before the fight, the dog went running after it and stared at the bone instead of running headlong into the fight once we initiated combat.

About five hours in so far and we're both enjoying the game immensely. I love that we can enter a building and head off on our own talking to all of the inhabitants and then meet back up to fill each other in on what we found and decide how we should go about completing quests from there. Really great stuff.

Also, talking to animals, as has been said, should be an essential starting trait for one of your characters. Some of the best characters we've met so far have been animals, plus there are some interesting quests/quest alternatives that arise from it. I was eagerly looking forward to this game as a fan of the original DD and the game has exceeded my expectations in every way so far. I haven't gotten into too many fights, but the combat we have participated in was both challenging and exciting. I have only good things to say about our time playing. So wonderful to be playing such a deep and engrossing cRPG in 2014.

VandalD

I never had a quicksave on screen for longer than 2 seconds.
Must be you mate.
I don't doubt that, but the saving was much quicker in the beta. There would be a bar with an icon on the bottom of the screen indicating saving, and it would be done in 5 seconds at most. Now it pulls up a screen like it's having to load stuff before it saves. Maybe because now there's more world to put in the save file.

epmode

It's really quite interesting. You get the impression that the original Divinity 2 scope (just as an RPG) was insane, and it was also basically Dragon Commander.

It's pretty obvious that they have a great big-budget RPG in mind if they ever get the cash to make it. I'd love to see them try.

So my girlfriend and I were doing an early game fight in Cyseal and kept reloading because a nearby dog would join the fight and get killed. Eventually she had the idea of throwing a bone to 'try and distract it'.

But here's the thing.

IT WORKED. She threw the bone before the fight, the dog went running after it and stared at the bone instead of running headlong into the fight once we initiated combat.

God, I hope that wasn't just a coincidence. I want to try it now.

Eusis

Um... they said in their kickstarter update at the end of the fundraiser that with paypal they reached that final goal.
I actually think that point loops around. Yeah, they made it post-Kickstarter, but it was so damn close that given the difficulty of implementation it was the first on the cutting board. If we grossly exceeded that maybe we'd have still seen it (and probably got the game in Fall instead.)

Enemies on the outskirts of town are brutal / can't get past them.

No idea what to do since I can't seem to fight them...to get to the next quest location. I feel like I've exhausted nearly every side quest in the town.

ZoddGutts

Don't know if this has been mentioned already, but it's the top seller on Steam so that might be a good thing.

idq4zjWfm8XDP.jpg

It's been holding the #1 seller for a full day now. The Larian guys must be happy, it shows there's a strong interest in the game. Even without much media interest yet, reviews haven't come out though I guess that's understandable to this type of game, might take a few more days.

RK9039

I'm wondering this too, as I set crossbow as my first skill. Hoping to find one soon.

I've found a few crossbows, from what I've seen so far crossbows are a lot more quicker and do more damage than the bows I've found.

Klyka

Banned
How about demon dogs? Are there demon dogs? There should be. Demon dogs that react to bones so you can keep them distracted during combat.

haha i don't know if there are,but i wouldn't put it past this game.
i read you can use raw meat on some enemies to distract them.

Noaloha

As much as I adored that game, I don't think a grid-based blobber is what he had in mind when he wrote that post. Although it was nearly dead on PC for a long time, it never truly disappeared like the Ultima model did.

Fair point, and I agree; I should have been a bit more specific rather than just leave a glib, tongue-in-cheek post. :p

I mentioned M&M:X just because both games' releases this year resulted in very similar feelings bubbling up inside of me. Different recipes of cRPG for sure, but they came from similar kitchens back then. Shared certain ingredients, flavours, whatever. I apologise, how did this turn into a food metaphor? Sorry.

This game does smell awesome though, *woof*.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
It crashed on me (OS X) once last night. after like 8 hours. I normally wouldn't have cared except a) I was already thrashed hard (2.5 hours) by the OS X saving bug and due to my own stupidity got to a part I was happy with and got the guards called on me (without saving, my fault there). So I went back a third time and it crashed at which point I called it a night. So yeah stability doesn't seem to be a major issue, but it has crashed once.

Borghe, meet Might & Magic X. Might & Magic X, meet borghe. I think you two will get along famously. :)

I've always felt the M&M series was much more first and foremost a dungeon crawler.. probably owing a lot to shortly after them arriving games like Dungeon Master and Black Crypt becoming the standard first-person RPG.. at the same time as that was happening traditional turn-based RPGs like Ultima started moving in the direction of Gold Box and Ultima VI and VII.

Anyway... I'll have to check out M&MX.. I'm game :p

I wonder if there's a downside. Do they have lower range?

yes someone posted a page or so back that they have a lower ideal range.

Eusis

Borghe, meet Might & Magic X. Might & Magic X, meet borghe. I think you two will get along famously. :)
Are they really similar at all in world exploration and whatnot?

Well, it's still reassuring to see different flavors of classic CRPG coming back. It's almost like we hit some sort of nadir with DAII that once Bioware reached that point it was time for more of the classic styles to resurface from other developers. Certainly it's refreshing to see turn-based combat from non-Japanese developers again, and in higher-ish profile games at that.

Conezays

It's really quite interesting. You get the impression that the original Divinity 2 scope (just as an RPG) was insane, and it was also basically Dragon Commander.

Yeah, it's sort of spoiling my play-through of the game now :p But nah, still enjoying the game despite what could have been. It's kind of a nice alternative to OS for me in terms of play styles. It's also got great music like OS.

Conezays

It's been holding the #1 seller for a full day now. The Larian guys must be happy, it shows there's a strong interest in the game. Even without much media interest yet, reviews haven't come out though I guess that's understandable to this type of game, might take a few more days.

Really happy for them. A hardcore old-school CRPG being the top-seller on Steam after the summer sale? Can't beat that.

I just started playing this and I have a couple of questions.

I'm playing it entirely in online co-op with a friend. If anyone is doing the same, how do you manage conversations in your game? What I mean is, one person initiates and has conversation control in most cases. The other person is supposed to read the speech bubbles or the dialog text in the combat log box? One thing that bothers me is that there are voiced NPCs all around who keep repeating their lines which clutters up that dialog box (and is distracting even while you're trying to read if you're the primary character in the conversation). Is there any way to disable all that side chatter?

Next, I'm currently roaming around the starting town. I like talking to folks all around and picking up side quests. Trying to be as thorough as possible but is there any way to know that you have in fact gotten all the side quests?

And last thing I noticed... my Steam cloud says it's storing 264MB of data. I've only played the game for 2 hours. My friend had 21MB data, but I was the host of the session. Is the game storing a lot of large saves in the cloud?

Arkeus

I just started playing this and I have a couple of questions.

I'm playing it entirely in online co-op with a friend. If anyone is doing the same, how do you manage conversations in your game? What I mean is, one person initiates and has conversation control in most cases. The other person is supposed to read the speech bubbles or the dialog text in the combat log box? One thing that bothers me is that there are voiced NPCs all around who keep repeating their lines which clutters up that dialog box (and is distracting even while you're trying to read if you're the primary character in the conversation). Is there any way to disable all that side chatter?

The looping voices are a pain in solo, and a source of a lot of co-op people being unable to play as it becomes really hard to know what your partner is saying, especially as you apparently need to read what he says in the flashing text (you don't get everything in the dialog log :( )

They are apparently going to fix that soon, but it's a pain and a good thing to keep on harping about it lest they think "ah, good enough".

Next, I'm currently roaming around the starting town. I like talking to folks all around and picking up side quests. Trying to be as thorough as possible but is there any way to know that you have in fact gotten all the side quests?
No, and you probably won't get them all. That's kinda the point.

And last thing I noticed... my Steam cloud says it's storing 264MB of data. I've only played the game for 2 hours. My friend had 21MB data, but I was the host of the session. Is the game storing a lot of large saves in the cloud?
The game has by default five different quicksaves and five different autosaves, and sends them all to the cloud. You can choose the numbers of saves it makes in the option menu, thanksfully.

Zeliard

Given how Ultima-y the game feels, I can only dream of what it could have been with scheduling and night/day cycle.

The editor is apparently powerful and flexible enough to allow for both to feasibly be implemented (Swen also said somewhere that certain things are already internally implemented, i.e. animations for sleeping in beds). I don't doubt that some talented and enterprising modder will have both day/night and NPC schedules functioning very well in due time.

OmegaDL50

So I found this circle of torches outside of town in the north with one single torch not lit.

I've decided to light the unlit torch.

*BOOM*

My entire party is engulfed in a fiery explosion and is instantly turned to ashes. What?

Totally surprised me and just one of those things I find awesome. No hand-holding, possible obvious looking secret may actually super obvious death trap.

Cool stuff.

Noaloha

Are they really similar at all in world exploration and whatnot?

Not exactly, no. It's certainly not got the sandboxy experimentation and freedom to approach tasks in varied ways that D:OS and its Ultima forefathers have. There is an open-ish world to explore after the first Act of the game, but it's nowhere near as dense or mechanically stacked.

Similarities would include stuff like meaningful, every-point-is-important stat allocation, critical consideration of party configuration, tense and challenging combat encounters where the enemies really want to make you reload a past save, plus that whole design ethic mentioned earlier in this thread of a game which isn't afraid to let you, the player, fail. If these parts of D:OS appeal to you in 2014, M&M:X should leave a fine impression.

Klyka

Banned
Guys, I just found the strongest weapon I have seen yet in the grave in front of the healer's house in Cyseal. It made every fight so far almost trivial.

Go dig it up!

Chaos17

Guys, I just found the strongest weapon I have seen yet in the grave in front of the healer's house in Cyseal. It made every fight so far almost trivial.

Go dig it up!

How do you avoid the trap ?
I turned into ashed when I tried to dig up, lol.
Or are you trolling ? :p

Noaloha

Archer enemies in this game are the worst.
Makes me regret not to have startet as a ranger.

At least early on, I'm pretty sure the Archer enemies only have a very finite supply of special arrows. They soon have to rely on regular projectiles once they've spent their special shafts (gross). But yes, that opening volley of poison cloud arrow followed by his buddy's fire arrow will make things grim. Lots of options for strategising around (or through) it though.

Rnr1224

i just started this game an already im getting pretty confused about most of the stuff in the tutorial dungeon. i cannot figure out how to place items in certain places. Im at the two switches near a stone door and cant figure out how to keep it open. not used to games like this at all.

Top Bottom