• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Gaz_RB

Yes I am, and I dig it. The ding you take to hit% chance along with the enemies' own increased hit% forces you to be a lot more measured in how you approach combat, and to rely more on skill combinations (especially as far as crowd control goes) and general use of the environment.

That's why the elemental/environmental stuff is so compelling to me. It's not just about stats and placement anymore-you have to consider the different ways you can use the environment against your enemy in order to win some of these battles. Teleporting a huge orc away from my weak archer and into a pool of water that my other mage then electrified was pretty thrilling, especially in a turn based game. I even found myself trying to form cover from archers using boxes. Fun stuff.

Zukuu

Banned
I found hard mode to be disappointing. Challenge shouldn't come through a random element such as hit chances imo.

Chaos17

Finally unlocked elementals and they're so sexy~
77EA8F2A9149F453BDF58DC62748D13DB618ACDB

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
If I want to increase a characters priority in the combat turns would it be speed or perception? I have a warrior that goes almost dead last every fight.

Jag

Have not figured out crafting or Blacksmithing yet. It's not very intuitive, but i'm having a blast just playing the game.

Salsa

im really more bothered than I should be by the fact that I forgot to change my characters' portraits after altering their appereance

now they don't match :(

lol

Zukuu

Banned
Have not figured out crafting or Blacksmithing yet. It's not very intuitive, but i'm having a blast just playing the game.

actually it is^^. Just combine two things or a tool and a thing. e.g. Axe + Wood = Branches. Knife + Branches = Arrow Shaft. As for black smithing, just use an metal bar with the anvil and have a hammer in your inventory. Bar + Bar yield a large bar, which needs to be used for 2h weapons.

Ceebs

So am I just dumb or is the way to the northern beach not obvious? I see it below me, but I can't figure out a way down there. Do I need to keep going east? I went as far as
The talking chest

Bluth54

I don't know - to an extent maybe. Right now my group just turned level 3, and I'd like to get out and start doing some of these quests, but every time I try to leave town I encounter large groups of level 5 mobs. I mean, these fights aren't even close. The biggest problem is how often my characters *miss*. I don't think food is going to even help, and I have no idea how to level up any more in town.

I appreciate the "hardcore"ness of it, but at the same time it feels restricting, like I'm being forced into a certain playstyle in order to break through this "puzzle", which, to me, goes against the RP aspect.

F5 save-scumming to try and figure this out isn't fun either.

Yeah I'm having the same problem, my characters are level 3/4 ish and I'm getting my ass handed to me by most of the enemies outside the town. I'm not really sure where exactly to go/what quests I need to do, I was able to defeat the first few groups of undead to the west of town but I haven't been able to get much further without facing a huge group of enemies that I can't possibly beat.

So am I just dumb or is the way to the northern beach not obvious? I see it below me, but I can't figure out a way down there. Do I need to keep going east? I went as far as
The talking chest

Its not obvious. Keep going east past the chest. You'll see a tunnel.

Moff

so I just finished the first zone after 15 hours, I knew a lot about it from the beta already though.
I really dont expect the other zones to be of the same quality, that would be incredibly good. instant classic.

some nitpicking:
-overall story seems very dull, i hope something interesting will happen there soon.
-larian bit off a bit more than they could chew, but I expected that, if you can explore a whole zone with complete freedom and so many interwoven quests, some things are bound to fail. so I cant finish one quest, because I finished another quest too early. and many log entries and dialogues from many quests were in the wrong order/didnt properly unlock/appear because I explored some areas and quest mobs too soon/in the wrong order. its not a big deal and I expected that, but still.

I'm really in love with this game and cant stop, its 4:30 am here, i dont remember when that happened the last time. luckily I can go to work whenever I please this week.

arkon

Some of these have already been talked about. I just went through the whole lot of cards and added them here.

Crafting recipes:
- Spell Book = Magical Ink and Quill + Blank Elemental Skill Book
- Blank Elemental Scroll = Blank Sheet of Paper + Any Elemental Essence
- Feather = Pillow + Any Knife
- Quill = Feather + Any Knife
- Ink Pot and Quill = Ink Pot + Quill
- Magic Ink Pot and Quill = Pot and Quill + Pixie Dust
- Dwarven Stew = Spot of Dinner + Mug of Beer
- Mug of Beer = Mug + Beer Barrel
- A Spot of Dinner = Any Piece of Meat + Cooking Pot
- Wizard Robe = Cloth Scraps + Magic Needle and Thread
- Magic Needle and Thread = Pixie Dust + Needle and Thread
- Armour with Elemental Resistance = Ruby + Any Piece of Armour
- Scale Armour = Metal Scraps + Mail Armour
- Leather Armour = Leather Scraps + Cloth Armour
- Leather Scraps = Animal Hide + Any Knife
- Cloth Armour = Cloth Scraps + Needle and Thread
- Pumpkin Helmet = Pumpkin + Any Knife
- Silver Arrow = Silver Arrowhead + Arrow Shaft
- Silver Arrowhead = Silver + Anvil
- Arrow Shaft = Wooden Branch + Any Knife
- Bone Dust = Skull + Mortar and Pestle
- Healing Potion = Penny Bun Mushroom + Empty Potion
- Invisibility Potion = Armour Potion + Air Resistance Potion
- Resist All Potion = Fire Resistance Potion + Earth Resistance potion
- Telekinesis Potion = Drudanae + Resist All Potion
- Stick With Nails = Wooden Branch + Nine Inch Nails
- Crossbow Stock and Limb = Wooden Branch + Steel
- Functional Crossbow = Crossbow Stock and Limb + Bowstring
- Antler Helmet = Leather Cap + Magic Antler
- Soup = Pumpkin + Cooking Pot

spoilered just in case.

Burt

im really more bothered than I should be by the fact that I forgot to change my characters' portraits after altering their appereance

now they don't match :(

lol
Haha, that and pulling one of the henchmen whose faces is the exact same as the Mage I created are unbelievably annoying.

That and the fact that I actually know what I'm doing after a dozen hours means that those niggling points I placed in worthless shit in my build.

Also, how do you guys go about distributing crafting points? Use them from a main party member or level someone that you don't use for combat and put all their points into crafting?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
while I really liked the hour, hour and half that I played (up to Cyseal and messing around in there a bit), I think the only way I will truly enjoy this game is in a few weeks/months when everyone knows every little thing about it and I can just ask, like Dark Souls.

I just dont have the time or patience anymore for these super overwhelming games these days. I guess, like Murtaugh, Im too old for this shit.

Examples include no quest givers and instead you get random quests from talking to people (or animals lol), little direction to where said quests are done (I got some quest about
Talking Statues
early one and then randomly talked to
a drunk in town
and he was related to that quest...like, man, I cant be talking to every npc in the game hoping its quest related), little explanation on what some spells do, etc

I guess I need my hand holding (which is where Gaf will come in) these days, what can I say. To be fair, when I played Dark Souls like that, it became one of my favorite games ever, I guess I dont need the discovery part to enjoy it.

By the way Im not saying Divinity shouldnt be like this, I absolutely think its awesome that it is like this, even if I prefer to play with some guidance. Does that make sense?

Jag

By the way Im not saying Divinity shouldnt be like this, I absolutely think its awesome that it is like this, even if I prefer to play with some guidance. Does that make sense?

Yeah it does. I don't have the patience or time I used to, but I still love these games. I play a combination of discovery and reading up on the game when I'm not playing. If I get stuck, I'll go right to a FAQ. Doesn't take away any of the enjoyment for me.

How the heck do you get into Mayor Cecil's living quarters to get the second triangle? I've got the key but it doesn't unlock the door into the room, only to the living area.

You can also just
use the pyramid you have on you, and you will teleport to the pyramid in the room.

Tom Penny

Game gets more aggravating by the minute. Horrible movement. Shit tutorial. No quest markers. I don't have the patience for this nowadays. Random shit like my characters suddenly cell shaded..game ain't for me I guess.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Six-hours in the game now. Finally managed to get unstuck from the murder mystery quest on-way to
eveyns lab now

Also heh I love how the well north of town leads into the
abandoned house in cyseal that seems to be impossible to get into
. Playing as a thief and stealing the shit out of everything is damn satisfying too, pretty much raided most of the houses in Cyseal for paintings and sold them to sellers for maximum profit $$$.

Tenck

Game gets more aggravating by the minute. Horrible movement. Shit tutorial. No quest markers. I don't have the patience for this nowadays. Random shit like my characters suddenly cell shaded..game ain't for me I guess.

Everything you need to know is in your journal. If you can't bother to read that, then yeah, this game isn't for you.

Gaz_RB

Haha press the ~ key to un-"cell shade" your guys. I disagree with the idea that this game having no quest markers is a bad thing, and I think the movement is fine. I'll agree about the bad tutorial though-to a point, I enjoyed figuring things out on my own- as well as the idea that the game probably isn't for you.

Salsa

the dungeon tutorial is fine in giving you an idea on what the game is like. Some people could think "oh diablo but turn based", and that dungeon gives you time to realize the game is much more enviromental based and that you'd be doing some puzzle solving rather than just fight hordes of things and loot

it, however, doesnt do a good job of explaining the systems to every little detail; but ths is fine. When you craft regular-ass arrows the descriptive text straight up says "you done goofed, you dont need to craft these, now you know"

it really is not as "omg wtf im just thrown out there no idea what do" as some seem to be taking it, at least not so far. It's just a bit more trial and error, or rather trial and learn?

Tom Penny

Haha press the ~ key to un-"cell shade" your guys. I disagree with the idea that this game having no quest markers is a bad thing, and I think the movement is fine. I'll agree about the bad tutorial though-to a point, I enjoyed figuring things out on my own- as well as the idea that the game probably isn't for you.

Movement speed is laughably slow and among the worst in any game I've ever played considering the game is about exploring.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Movement speed is laughably slow and among the worst in any game I've ever played considering the game is about exploring.

you dont like the game, thats fine mate, why do you now feel the need to state that fact in the thread and keep shitting on it. shouldnt you move on to something you do like? just curious

and movement speed IS slow

Rizzi

I'm stuck in the murder mystery too.
I just
Dug up a sheep's corpse and talked to the mortician. Now I'm stumped.

You are going to play as two lesbian witches named Piper and Phoebe.

You're welcome.

Problem solved. Now get to the orc killing!

Made two lady mages, one a battle mage and one a magic archer. They might be lesbians but I imagine them as more of a buddy cop sort of deal.

Okay, I think I can work with this.

marrec

Banned
you dont like the game, thats fine mate, why do you now feel the need to state that fact in the thread and keep shitting on it. shouldnt you move on to something you do like? just curious

and movement speed IS slow

It's slow, but there's so much to interact with and explore that it's necessary.

Chaos17

I do miss quests markers because finding some NPC can be pretty tiresome like
the ones who I saved from the failed experirment of Ahru.

Tom Penny

Compared to what though? Have you played a CRPG before?

Umm plenty of other isometric view RPG's / games don't move this slow. I don't care if the turned based combat part is somewhat slower. If the game is about exploring I don't want to move like a snail and not even have a run toggle option or default to run speed option.

MayMay

Banned
Kinda annoyed, the latest patch notes say that the DLC now works correctly but - nothing works correctly. I still wasted 10$. Steam says I own it, but does the game care? nope. Love them game, but I'll end up getting seriously mad soon if they don't fix their shit. Here I am, buying day-one DLC and it's not even working correctly *facepalm*.

Man, I am hooked.

Is there anyone in Csyeal that sells pyromancy skill books? I'm also not exactly clear on how turn order is determined.

Edit: Thanks!

I do miss quests markers because finding some NPC can be pretty tiresome like
the ones who I saved from the failed experirment of Ahru.

You can, y'know, make your own quest markers on the world map. Just left-click to make a custom note.

Man, I am hooked.

Is there anyone in Csyeal that sells pyromancy skill books? I'm also not exactly clear on how turn order is determined.

Initiative determines turn order. Highest first.

Pyromancy books... hrm.. I think it's one of the shopkeepers near the marketplace of Cyseal, but I might be am wrong about that.

Zukuu

Banned
Kinda annoyed, the latest patch notes say that the DLC now works correctly but - nothing works correctly. I still wasted 10$. Steam says I own it, but does the game care? nope.

try to re-read your game's cache now maybe.

Finishing my 2nd day for now. Game is so good, love every minute of it. The ability to overcome harder fights just with pure wits and tactic feels so legit. And those sidequests you stumble over are both great, in quantity and quality. I spend like almost 3 hours in just one optional dungeon and I'm still not finished yet.

Sentenza

Dear developers, please don't listen to this kind of feedback.

Zeliard

You can, y'know, make your own quest markers on the world map. Just left-click to make a custom note.

I absolutely adore this and miss it so much in most modern RPGs. I make notes everywhere. The respect this game has for the player to figure out their own way through is one of its best attributes.

So, um.. about the lighthouse - did anyone experience this:
The boss-guard of the lighthouse teleported around my warrior about 20 times, each time dealing 20 or so fire damage to himself, until the boss died. This was on the second turn of the battle. Is this a BUG or is it some super-secret kamikaze attack?

Of note, the person the boss targetted had fire shield, and it happened in a smokey firefield with no one else in range. It was real rad and it sure made that battle a lot easier.

I absolutely adore this and miss it so much in most modern RPGs. I make notes everywhere. The respect this game has for the player to figure out their own way through is one of its best attributes.

Yeah, judging from Divinity 2 and this, they really just let players figure out things for themselves. Divinity 2 has very similar "can you spot this?" sort of things in the environment, and it's very refreshing... because most games are terrified that a player might - gasp - miss content.

OmegaDL50

So in regards to the Solve the Murder Quest.

Speaking to Murphy the Dog has been incredibly useful. Thanks Based Pet Pal!

After
digging up the Sheep's Corpse where Jake's grave marker
is supposed to be, I bee lined to the Mortician's house but couldn't find him. He wasn't in his house or work area.

I stole the
Ledger in the Morticians House
which reading it gives me some rather telling information and a list of possible suspects who would have a reason to get
rid of the body for evidence hiding.

I brought
Esmeralda's Smelly Panties to Murphy the Dog and he didn't smell Jake on it.

Does this mean I can rule out
Esmeralda is one of the four possible suspects

My detective work is pretty decent following each lead. But again the Murder was supposedly committed by someone who can use magic. So unless
Esmeralda can magically remove her stench from her undergarments
, that leaves
3 more names on the list
to investigate.

Arulan

Exploration or quest markers. Pick one. You can't have both.

Zukuu

Banned
So in regards to the Solve the Murder Quest.

After
digging up the Sheep's Corpse where Jake's grave marker
is supposed to be, I bee lined to the Mortician's house but couldn't find him. He wasn't in his house or work area.

I stole the
Ledger in the Morticians House
which reading it gives me some rather telling information and a list of possible suspects who would have a reason to get
rid of the body for evidence hiding.

I brought
Esmeralda's Smelly Panties to Murphy the Dog and he didn't smell Jake on it.

Does this mean I can rule out
Esmeralda is one of the four possible suspects

My detective work is pretty decent following each lead. But again the Murder was supposedly committed by someone who can use magic. So unless
Esmeralda can magically remove her stench from her undergarments
, that leaves
3 more names on the list
to investigate.
You can solve it in multiple ways. One way is to find
the Smelly Items
in each of the suspects houses and give it
the dog to smell
. Another way is to just follow the questline and speak with
the wife about everything you've found. She'll point you towards the suspect as well
. Afterwards, I'm kinda stuck too. But more because I get distracted by sidequests so much. x)

Top Bottom