• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Some of these have already been talked about. I just went through the whole lot of cards and added them here.

Crafting recipes:
- Spell Book = Magical Ink and Quill + Blank Elemental Skill Book
- Blank Elemental Scroll = Blank Sheet of Paper + Any Elemental Essence
- Feather = Pillow + Any Knife
- Quill = Feather + Any Knife
- Ink Pot and Quill = Ink Pot + Quill
- Magic Ink Pot and Quill = Pot and Quill + Pixie Dust
- Dwarven Stew = Spot of Dinner + Mug of Beer
- Mug of Beer = Mug + Beer Barrel
- A Spot of Dinner = Any Piece of Meat + Cooking Pot
- Wizard Robe = Cloth Scraps + Magic Needle and Thread
- Magic Needle and Thread = Pixie Dust + Needle and Thread
- Armour with Elemental Resistance = Ruby + Any Piece of Armour
- Scale Armour = Metal Scraps + Mail Armour
- Leather Armour = Leather Scraps + Cloth Armour
- Leather Scraps = Animal Hide + Any Knife
- Cloth Armour = Cloth Scraps + Needle and Thread
- Pumpkin Helmet = Pumpkin + Any Knife
- Silver Arrow = Silver Arrowhead + Arrow Shaft
- Silver Arrowhead = Silver + Anvil
- Arrow Shaft = Wooden Branch + Any Knife
- Bone Dust = Skull + Mortar and Pestle
- Healing Potion = Penny Bun Mushroom + Empty Potion
- Invisibility Potion = Armour Potion + Air Resistance Potion
- Resist All Potion = Fire Resistance Potion + Earth Resistance potion
- Telekinesis Potion = Drudanae + Resist All Potion
- Stick With Nails = Wooden Branch + Nine Inch Nails
- Crossbow Stock and Limb = Wooden Branch + Steel
- Functional Crossbow = Crossbow Stock and Limb + Bowstring
- Antler Helmet = Leather Cap + Magic Antler
- Soup = Pumpkin + Cooking Pot

spoilered just in case.

Wow, thanks!

OmegaDL50

Crafting is also a good way to turn cheap items into somewhat more valuable items.

For example. Stealing all of the Pillows in Houses.

A Pillow is a measly 3 Gold Pieces, not much to consider. However put a Knife to that Pillow and you end up with a Feather which doesn't use up weight and is worth 8 Gold Pieces.

But wait! We're not done! Take that same knife you have to those Feathers! and turn them into Quills which now have a value of 30!.

Increasing the value of items just by shredding them up. Bonus!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Using a hammer on Nine Inch Nails makes lockpicks, my favorite recipe so far. Needs 3 crafting though.

Carcetti

I didn't play the early access and my mind is blow by how good this game is. It's on whole another level than the other Divinity games.

dcassell

Banned
is the dungeon
under the cemetary in Cyseal
supposed to be high level? I went down there and the first mobs destroyed me (I still only have my 2 characters)

Keep looking around town, and do a bit more of the main quest. I was pretty comfortable after upgrading gear and hitting level 3.
You're missing two people who join your party immediately after talking to them. One in the tavern, one in the mayor's house.
That should make things far more manageable.

OmegaDL50

I didn't play the early access and my mind is blow by how good this game is. It's on whole another level than the other Divinity games.

Is this an example of publishers creatively stagnating artistic freedom?

I mean every time Larian's ambitions to do something great were halted by publisher concern that those ideas wouldn't be well received which forced Larian hands tied to the whims of publisher demands.

I can't imagine what Larian would be forced to deal with if they didn't resort to crowd funding for Original Sin and instead be under the scrutiny of a publisher who wants to play it safe rather than artistic freedom for the sake of making an actual enjoyable product.

To Larian for sticking to their gut and vision all the way to the end
tdCzKaX.gif

EVOL 100%

Is this an example of publishers creatively stagnating artistic freedom?

I mean every time Larian's ambitions to do something great were halted by publisher concern that those ideas wouldn't be well received which forced Larian hands tied to the whims of publisher demands.

I can't imagine what Larian would be forced to deal with if they didn't resort to crowd funding for Original Sin and instead be under the scrutiny of a publisher who wants to play it safe rather than artistic freedom for the sake of making an actual enjoyable product.

[IMfG]http://i.imgur.com/tdCzKaX.gif[/IMG]

That gif is supposed to be sarcastic lol, look at the guys slow clapping

But yeah, I agree. This game is a godsend. Pillars is having some serious competition this year.

Durante

So the game peaked higher in concurrent players on its second day after release than the first, that's pretty rare.

So a bit of a graphical bug here:

The merc's hair keeps vanishing all the time at random as well.
Vhailor? Is that you?

Monooboe

And to think this game was actually kind of under my radar. I knew about it but I wasn't that hyped, which is strange as I love RPGs like this. Thank the GAF and Steam Sale Thread for grazy hyping it till I took notice, I am grateful.:D

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
This is a Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale successor (without the real time combat), damn I want to get this game.

Yodly ye gods of fortune, honor me.

I got some queries (spoiler quote,if it is to much revealing)
.how long is this game?
.what is the replay value? (have you restarted a 'New Game' again to check various elements or to play differently?)

Tenck

Crafting is also a good way to turn cheap items into somewhat more valuable items.

For example. Stealing all of the Pillows in Houses.

A Pillow is a measly 3 Gold Pieces, not much to consider. However put a Knife to that Pillow and you end up with a Feather which doesn't use up weight and is worth 8 Gold Pieces.

But wait! We're not done! Take that same knife you have to those Feathers! and turn them into Quills which now have a value of 30!.

Increasing the value of items just by shredding them up. Bonus!

Thanks for this.

Eternia

Nearing 17 hours, it's still a pretty fun game.

There's so much to do, in fact, quite overwhelming especially for someone like me who hasn't paid attention to many crpgs prior to this one. Not only having to manage traversing through the world with how little they guide you but also learning a lot of the mechanics and rules on the fly. I've probably screwed up my characters already and a bunch of battles have given me issues but I'll resist the urge of restarting and just slowly plow through it.

Gaz_RB

Well I wasted like 5 hours of my life trying to figure out that 4 elements puzzle north of the first town. The one with the riddle in the two underground rooms? Couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

Ended up leaving a marker that said "Fuck this shit" and went questing. I'll come back later.

Moff

Well I wasted like 5 hours of my life trying to figure out that 4 elements puzzle north of the first town. The one with the riddle in the two underground rooms? Couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

Ended up leaving a marker that said "Fuck this shit" and went questing. I'll come back later.

did you overlook the stone plates with the instructions in each room?

OmegaDL50

Game runs like shit on mac. Is there a tutorial for the battle system?

There is a tutorial battle and tutorial dungeon showing you some of the basic mechanics of the game.

Combat consists of individual turns for each character with an AP Pool.

Say a character has 10 AP and recovers 6 AP each turn.

Walking to the enemy during a characters turn consumes AP. The longer the distance the more AP is consumed. In fact enemies can be so far away you could use all of your AP just trying to approach and not have enough to perform and action like Attack, use a Skill, etc.

Some spells or skills also have individual cool downs (2 to 3 turns for example), so you can't simply use a spell, end turn, and cast it again to spam it.

But for example sake to close to the enemy it requires 4 AP to close distance, and then you can decide to attack which costs 4 AP. This means you have 2 AP left over to do something else or you could end that turn.

Any remaining AP a character has is saved and rolled over into their next turn.
6 Recovered AP + 2 Remaining AP from current turn = 8 AP for next turn.

This means the the character can then attack twice on his next turn because they already are in position to attack.

A main thing to focus on however is the Dynamic spell system that reacts to the environment

You can for example using a Spell Caster Cast a Rain Spell that will create an AoE zone of enemies getting wet if they stand in this zone. Also puddles will form on the ground.

The Chill spell normally slows enemies, However if they are Wet Status, Chill becomes Freeze and the enemy is paralyzed until they thaw.

Going back to the earlier example of water puddles created from the Rain Spell. If you cast shock magic on these puddles. They will electrify anyone standing targeted puddle and may stun them on top of electrical damage.

There is other combinations too. Using Fire on Rain puddles to create scalding steam which obfuscates enemy vision. Or use Poison on Steam to make a Gas Cloud. Cast Fire on a Gas Cloud to ignite it and burn anyone in the haze.

There is also a Oil spell that slows enemy movement similar to Chill. Oil also leaves puddles like Rain does, and you can naturally ignite Oil to make a puddle of fire to create impeding barriers enemies will need to traverse.

Using these strategies also applies to Warriors or Archers with Elemental Arrows with the environment.

Like having a Warrior strike a water barrel with sword to break it and create a flood a specific area. And have the Archer use Shock Arrows on the puddle create an electrified field instead of spell casting doing it.

It's very tactical and rewarding. And takes make cues from Baldur's Gate and Ultima 7 in a cRPG style.

Any other questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

Durante

Great post!

Talking about mechanics, has anyone figured out why some enemies only get "Warm" on the first fire hit and start burning on the second, while others burn immediately?

Brainsaw

Neo Member
Game runs like shit on mac. Is there a tutorial for the battle system?
Nope. Then again, I find it very straightforward in the basic concept (point & click, action points), which is all a tutorial normally shows anyways.

But you probably mean the more detailed/hidden mechanics like initiative, element combo's, armor class vs damage etc. Then again, I find these very straightforward as well or simply don't need the details (although I often forget to abuse elemental barrels during combat), so maybe you could elleborate what you need explained?

Btw, has anyone found out how attacks of opportunity work exactly? More to the point: I get that it allows free, automatic attacks when nearby mobs move. However, it doesn't always happen, so I'm unsure what conditions need to be met.

For instance, I often use teleportation to get archers within melee range of my knight (who has the trait). Archers then often move away and thus my knight gets a free shot. However, this doesn't occur all the time, which might be a matter of facing the proper way or because the enemy needs to cover a minimum distance for it to trigger.

Also, are attacks of opportunity only activated by melee weapons or melee range? Would it be a useful trait for an archer for example?

Ceebs

Yeah I can't get it either. I got one side of the puzzle done, but no clue how I did it.

Also holy crap at the battle in the hidden beach lair. 9 or 10 mages and archers in a lengthy room with lots of blocked line of sight.

The game is not shy about throwing you into uneven encounters.

Haha so spent a good 3-4 hours exploring Cyseal last night to only find out at the end that the two companions had almost identical specs to my two guys haha! Which is heartbreaking because I really want to get further in the game haha butttt I would much prefer every party member playing a different role. Game is so good though, and actually so beautiful. Larian really built a fantastic engine, I can only imagine what the custom stuff people come up with will be like. The music is absolutely fantastic though, it's a real pleasure to just run around the game world. I actually wonder how Pillars is going to fare against this for me personally. I'm sure they will be different enough that they will both be worth playing (of course), but for me personally, this game is SO driven by it's mechanics and the manipulation of them in the sandbox, it's basically a perfect game. The very open approach to the questing is an absolute compliment too.

Did Larian ever confirm btw if them joining the ID@xbox thing was for a console version of this game? I think the game would be a bit awkward on controller, but I could recommend it to so many more people, and I would easily get a co-op companion.

Brainsaw

Neo Member
Oh, this reminds me of a question I have regarding disarming traps in the first town:
in the tunnel under the abandoned house, there are "bars" on the ground that activate fire traps (those that spit fireballs from pillars). However, none if my characters was able to disarm those, even though they had a disarm tool. I didn't have points in traps though, but I couldn't even target it. I expected to at least be able to target it and get a message if my skill waa too low, but maybe I did sometging wrong?

So my question is simply: how do you disarm thise traps? I tried targetingbthe bars on the floor, but couldn't select them. These were the triggers for the traps though, so maybe I'm missing something...

Moff

Oh, this reminds me of a question I have regarding disarming traps in the first town:
in the tunnel under the abandoned house, there are "bars" on the ground that activate fire traps (those that spit fireballs from pillars). However, none if my characters was able to disarm those, even though they had a disarm tool. I didn't have points in traps though, but I couldn't even target it. I expected to at least be able to target it and get a message if my skill waa too low, but maybe I did sometging wrong?

So my question is simply: how do you disarm thise traps? I tried targetingbthe bars on the floor, but couldn't select them. These were the triggers for the traps though, so maybe I'm missing something...

I dont think you can disarm these switch traps, only the ones that look like mines. I teleported over them.

Monooboe

Great post!

Talking about mechanics, has anyone figured out why some enemies only get "Warm" on the first fire hit and start burning on the second, while others burn immediately?

Maybe they have armor or are made of less flammable material? So that is somehow takes longer for the fire to really start to burn.

Brainsaw

Neo Member
Great post!

I haven't gotten far at all yet, so my experience is limited, but I was wondering the same. It does seem that undead almost always get burned first try, while humans get warm first. I can only speculate it's because of a fire weakness, but it seems pretty consistent.

It surprised me at first since Flare specifically mentions giving Warm instead of Burned (only applies Burned if a character is Warm). But since it kept happening to undead, I figured it's simply because they're weak to fire.

Zakalwe

Banned
Any tips for running two melee based characters in a party?

Chose a knight and a ranger as my starting, picked up the two companions, I'm having trouble with positioning my melee and making the most of cc. It seems I have two options: hang back with melee and set up cc first, which leaves my ranged exposed, or rush in with melee and leave them vulnerable to the same cc as the enemy.

Thinking I might restart, or switch the warrior companion for another ranged henchman, or maybe even roll a knight with lone wolf, a ranger, and just take the mage companion, but I'm sure this must be workable.

F!ReW!Re

Chose a knight and a ranger as my starting, picked up the two companions, I'm having trouble with positioning my melee and making the most of cc. It seems I have two options: hang back with melee and set up cc first, which leaves my ranged exposed, or rush in with melee and leave them vulnerable to the same cc as the enemy.

Thinking I might restart, or switch the warrior companion for another ranged henchman, but I'm sure this must be workable.

I would rush in with the melee character. There's a skill that let's you rush in and bash/knockdown anyone along the way (and it outranges the distance you can walk).
The melee char can take a beating (having that healing skill (bandage) can also be useful to keep your melee char healthy) and when he gets in melee range he'll demolish those enemies...

It's the same stuff as in all the other RPG's: Melee char rush in and tries to aggro the enemies while you keep those ranged/mage classes hanging back and raining death from afar. (Just watch the AoE spells, because FF is on :p)

Zakalwe

Banned
I would rush in with the melee character. There's a skill that let's you rush in and bash/knockdown anyone along the way (and it outranges the distance you can walk).
The melee char can take a beating (having that healing skill (bandage) can also be useful to keep your melee char healthy) and when he gets in melee range he'll demolish those enemies...

It's the same stuff as in all the other RPG's: Melee char rush in and tries to aggro the enemies while you keep those ranged/mage classes hanging back and raining death from afar. (Just watch the AoE spells, because FF is on :p)

Which is what I try, but many times the KD fails, and I'm left exposed to the enemies turn, which many times leaves me under half health.

Then I'm positioned right in front of the enemies, and any CC I can launch will hit my melee character too. Next turn I can use bandages to heal, but then the enemy takes a turn and I'm back down to under half again.

I'm taking on Evelyn at level 5, she's level 6. Trying to keep her incapacitated as long as possible at the start to delay the summons, but she resists almost everything.

Do I need to level a bit more maybe?

Arkeus

It really depends on the type of Melee guys and the type of combats. There are a lot of combats where you simply can't CC every mobs, and the Melee there shines at taking care of everything that can't be CC. Then there are the Melee guys that are very good at taking care of single enemies, or even the ones who do their own CC, etc.

Also, there are totally worthwhile spells that make characters immune to buring/electricity/etc, which means you can laugh with your melee as you walk on burning ground/static puddles.

Zakalwe

Banned
It really depends on the type of Melee guys and the type of combats. There are a lot of combats where you simply can't CC every mobs, and the Melee there shines at taking care of everything that can't be CC. Then there are the Melee guys that are very good at taking care of single enemies, or even the ones who do their own CC, etc.

Also, there are totally worthwhile spells that make characters immune to buring/electricity/etc, which means you can laugh with your melee as you walk on burning ground/static puddles.

I guess I just need to plan my moves better. Not been making use of the immunity spells, as much as I should. Do you personally prime these just before you enter combat, or activate them while you're engaged?

Moff

I let my elementals/skeletons do the tanking, my warrior companion is pretty much the most useless char in my party. although the ranger isnt really that good either, even the consumable special arrows dont really do much damage.
and the dirty skills like lockpicking, pickpocket and sneaking are mostly useless. I havent found a single lock I could pick with my level 2 skill, I just bash everything in. and pickpocket is fun but extremely limited, by worth and weight of the item. and sneaking is good enough witthout any skill points at all.

no, magic rules supreme in this game, by far the strongest damage, tons of buffs, can conjure up elementals, skeletons that do tons of damage and tank excellently. and tons of world interaction (the strength of this game) depends on magic.

OmegaDL50

Whoa, I just realized something.

Spoilers for both Original Sin and Divine Divinity are contained this post, read with caution.
In Divine Divinity the first boss you could encounter is Zombie Jake

In Divinity Original Sin one of the main quests is investigating the murder of councilor of Cyseal named Jake. One of the other long standing issues is the town is being plagued with undead attacks. During the investigation of Jake's murder
you find that his grave is completely empty and was replaced with a Sheep's corpse in it's place, you also eventually encounter Zombie Jake in Original Sin as part of the Murder Plot Quest

There is also another reference to Divine Divinity in which there is a quest with two injured men who are near death and you need to use a curing stone. Using it on one will cause the other to die, however there is a way via magic to duplicate this stone and save both. A very similar quest also appears in Original Sin.

I just didn't connect the dots until now.

For the people playing solo: My friend isn't getting getting back from his trip till tomorrow, so how will it work out when we wanna play co-op? Will he able to play his own save and catch up and then play with me, or will I pretty much have to restart the entire game so we'd be able to play?

Anyway, game is sick. So far I'm just loving running around the environments, talking to people and listening to the soundtrack(some great tunes in there) Can't wait to sink to my teeth into it further.

arkon

Tunahead

Great post!

Well, attacks and environmental effects don't always have a 100% chance of applying status effects like stunned or burning. Normally, this would mean that nothing happens. However, fire has the surprise bonus of applying the Warm debuff (+% chance to catch on fire, I forget what the number is) to people adjacent to it. This applies to all fire of a sufficient size (not candles, I don't think) and everyone everywhere as far as I can tell. You can safely observe this phenomenon by going near a campfire or something in town and seeing it pop up on your own party members.

Shahadan

Whoa, I just realized something.

There is also another reference to Divine Divinity in which there is a quest with two injured men who are near death and you need to use a curing stone. Using it on one will cause the other to die, however there is a way via magic to duplicate this stone and save both.

:eek:
How?

Top Bottom