• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

MayMay

Banned
try to re-read your game's cache now maybe.

Finishing my 2nd day for now. Game is so good, love every minute of it. The ability to overcome harder fights just with pure wits and tactic feels so legit. And those sidequests you stumble over are both great, in quantity and quality. I spend like almost 3 hours in just one optional dungeon and I'm still not finished yet.

Yeah, restarting Steam and checking the cache does nothing :L

Chaos17

I think that is part of the quest. Try talking with other NPCs.

Not at all.
I found the answer (thanks Google).
If anyone is interest the NPC is
at the prison
So yeah, sometimes, I miss quests marker because no one told me where he was.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So in regards to the Solve the Murder Quest.

Speaking to Murphy the Dog has been incredibly useful. Thanks Based Pet Pal!

Murphy
died for me. I digged up some zombie or whatever, and he joined in on the fight for whatever reason, and got 1 shot by a zombie >_>

I had talked to him before tho and my journal updated with...something

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
only had two hours to put in tonight.. but damn... one of the greatest cRPGs of all time, and I'm barely even 10 hours into it. Everything from the pacing (as fast or slow as you want to) to the way they lay out the stories without ever holding your hand (logical non-linear progression.. who'dve thunk!!) to the way they slowly but surely edge your characters abilities and powers to greatness.

Been way too long since we've been graced with a game like this. Kudos Larian.. I mean damn...

People don't reload when he died?

You lot are monsters.

I am working on getting out of the habit of reloading. It's hard... but in pen and paper games you are like NEVER allowed to reload (at least in our games) so I'm really trying to break the habit here. With that being said.. I would reload on that. I mean Murph is awesome.

Santiako

This game is seriously amazing, I haven't felt this way with a game in YEARS. The combat is the best ever in this kind of game and there's so many little details that make the game stand out, like the lonely crab that doesn't want to finish the dialog so you have to keep clicking until he gives up, the asshole talking statues (one shows you the future, how all your adventures will end
he shows you the credits LOLOLOL
).

JambiBum

So as far as the blank spell books go I think you make them using these items.

Paper + Pixie dust = Magic paper
Magic paper + leather = spell book?

I have to check myself to make sure. Unfortunately I can't right now as my co op partner has our save. If someone could check this combo out and report back it would be great.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is the dungeon
under the cemetary in Cyseal
supposed to be high level? I went down there and the first mobs destroyed me (I still only have my 2 characters)

ok yeah.. the stuttering is getting annoying. still mostly happens with camera movement

am I the only one getting it? some people seem to have the issue on the steam forums. It's definetly not performance/my specs

tried forcing different vsync to no avail

bumming me out!

I had pretty bad stuttering before I capped the game at 60 fps. Even with vsync it was stuttering when uncapped.

Nete

Lone Wolf is so, sooo good on a wiz. You can lack some hitting for the first few levels without the extra companion, but oh god when the extra Ability Points start to make a difference.

My wizard was a shitty Jedi (air-water, so teleport, slow, heal, rain and weird skills to start) with my friend and his knight (and Madora as companion) doing all the dirty job and blaming me for taking that talent.

Now, at level 6-7, after skilling up those two elements (to 3) and adding fire-earth, I feel like a fucking GOD. So many crowd control options, damage types, support spells, summons... and there is still lots of spells I can't learn yet due low level.

Btw, is there any better healing than Minor Heal as regular spell? Not counting the one at Man-at-arms.

EDIT: Yep, there is: http://www.rpguides.de/divinity-original-sin/zauber/hydrosophist-water.htm

Joey Ravn

Banned
Could any of you guys who have played this game for some time now tell me how important is balance later on? I've been trying some different combinations of characters just at the beginning and I'm still having a hard time deciding what I should roll with.

I've tried a Cleric and a Ranger, but I don't know if there will be too much overlapping between my Cleric and one of the companions you get later on. For my first playthrough, I'd like to stick to single-class characters, so I've been toying with the idea of making a Rogue to complement my Ranger, so I have one character of each major archetype. How well do they hold up later on? Do I have to use Stealth all the time, or are they able to rely on backstabbing once the fight has started?

So, no one can give me some pointers, please? :(

Movement speed is laughably slow and among the worst in any game I've ever played considering the game is about exploring.

go play inquisitor. It is in the same genre.

So, no one can give me some pointers, please? :(
The 2 story companions are a fighter and a air/water mage. So you can either make another mage to cover some other schools, ranger, or some sort of rogue. Stop trying to make the perfect setup and just play the game.

RiotRhythm

Neo Member
Just reached the second town, ~17 hours in. Enjoying myself quite a bit so far, although I do have a few gripes with the game.

• Instruction - this is one of those games where one of those big colourful instruction manuals is warranted. There are countless game mechanics that I had to figure out on my own.
  • Quests - I would definitely be stuck without having consulted forums online. Not sure how I feel about the lack of quest markers yet - most of them are doable just by reviewing your journal, many of them require you to remember certain things.
    i.e. Nick's head
  • Voices - people have already noted that this is annoying, NPC dialogue is on a loop and can get irritating
  • Movement - I'm not entirely sure how they would solve this problem, faster run speeds? Thankfully, fast travel is very convenient.
  • Combat - great for the most part, I still misclick at least once per battle. I wish there was an "undo" button. I've lost count of how many times I've moved when I meant to attack
  • Dialogue - just for the purpose of convenience, I wish I could press "esc" to end a conversation instead of scrolling to the bottom of the list
  • Party Mechanics - micromanaging can be a bit cumbersome sometimes, i have to constantly keep track of who holds what, and who specializes in what. Traveling back and forth trying to unlock a door just to realize that one of my other companions has the key.
Pros far outweigh the cons though, so far I'm having a blast. Although I'm usually one to refer to walkthroughs while playing this sort of game, I guess I'll have to suck it up for the time being.
Goddamn Black Cove.

Loving this game, but this is bugging me. When bartering you can only compare equipment (and equipment requirements) with the person who initiated the transaction even if you switch to another party member's inventory.

EVOL 100%

My main complaint is that picking up items and money management is a gigantic pain in the ass.

I really wished there was an auto pickup button and a way to consolidate all the party's money to one member conveniently. I guess it's like that because of the co-op aspect, but it's a bit cumbersome sometimes.

Loving this game, but this is bugging me. When bartering you can only compare equipment (and equipment requirements) with the person who initiated the transaction even if you switch to another party member's inventory.

This too. I'm not very happy with the bartering system in general. WIsh you could type in the amount of gold instead of having to use a slider too.

Still, I'm having a blast with this game. Most fun I had with a game in years.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Could any of you guys who have played this game for some time now tell me how important is balance later on? I've been trying some different combinations of characters just at the beginning and I'm still having a hard time deciding what I should roll with.

I've tried a Cleric and a Ranger, but I don't know if there will be too much overlapping between my Cleric and one of the companions you get later on. For my first playthrough, I'd like to stick to single-class characters, so I've been toying with the idea of making a Rogue to complement my Ranger, so I have one character of each major archetype. How well do they hold up later on? Do I have to use Stealth all the time, or are they able to rely on backstabbing once the fight has started?
(

Later in the game, enemies start using AOE (Area of Effect) attacks that suppresses the efficacy of backstabbing as a strategy. Combined with your own Mages using AOE attacks, I would focus on ranged weaponry instead. You can teach the utility thief skills (pickpocket, lock picking, stealth) to a ranger.

My main complaint is that picking up items and money management is a gigantic pain in the ass.

I really wished there was an auto pickup button and a way to consolidate all the party's money to one member conveniently. I guess it's like that because of the co-op aspect, but it's a bit cumbersome sometimes.

This too. I'm not very happy with the bartering system. WIsh you could type in the amount of gold instead of having to use a slider too.

Totally. One inventory would be much, much better. Inventory is a chore.

Bluth54

Yeah that's annoying too, if you're playing single player you should have a single money pool. Having to move money around between characters sucks.

So if I'm buying a skill book and it says "you have already learned this skill" does that only apply to the party member that started the conversation?

Also, I wish there were a way to at-a-glance see if a skill book in your inventory has been read.

Gaz_RB

This too. I'm not very happy with the bartering system in general. WIsh you could type in the amount of gold instead of having to use a slider too.

About the gold thing... don't forget that there is a button at the top of the barter screen that selects the equivalent amount of gold!

Joey Ravn

Banned
Later in the game, enemies start using AOE (Area of Effect) attacks that suppresses the efficacy of backstabbing as a strategy. Combined with your own Mages using AOE attacks, I would focus on ranged weaponry instead. You can teach the utility thief skills (pickpocket, lock picking, stealth) to a ranger.

Thanks. That's why I feared. I don't really want to min-max my characters on my first playthrough, actually, but I do want to be able to play the game without backing myself into a corner. I guess I'll go with a Cleric (blunt and shield tank with some healing) then. It should complement my Archer and the two companions (
one uses magic, the other two-handed, AFAIK
) well enough.

dcassell

Banned
Put 5 hours in today. Most of it spent running around trying to figure out how to complete one quest, but I loved every minute of it as I got to really investigate the first city.
I spent about an hour attempting to get into the Healer's house, and checked every container in the bigger house except for the one containing her smelly thing to show the dog. Huge pain. But now I feel like the game is really opening up.
So, I've put 6 hours in total, and have essentially completed two quests and am just starting the main story. Great stuff. An awesome game that has really made me lose track of time as I play it, and difficulty is JUST right.

Danneee

Crap, I've been giving stuff to vendors for free. First game ever to actually ask for money for the stuff you're selling.

Oh well, lesson learned.

I can't seem to win any fights outside of town...even with lots of CC. (The packs of 5-6, not the loose 1-2 mobs)

Not sure if I should restart with some other classes. Every enemy seems to be 2-3 levels higher.

EVOL 100%

About the gold thing... don't forget that there is a button at the top of the barter screen that selects the equivalent amount of gold!

Yeah, but it makes haggling very annoying to do.

I can't seem to win any fights outside of town...even with lots of CC. (The packs of 5-6, not the loose 1-2 mobs)

Not sure if I should restart with some other classes. Every enemy seems to be 2-3 levels higher.

Once you hit level 5 the undead in the north should be easy to tackle. My party is a ranger/mage hybrid, a sword+shield tank and the companions. I was only able to go west and the south when I hit level 6/7ish and replaced all my gear.

Burt

Map 2 boss help needed:

How the hell do you beat Loic? Every time I get him below half health he just heals up for 300, ad infinium. I can't do 700 damage to him in a single turn.

Just gonna kill that poor chicken for now, unfortunately.

Edit: Nevermind, guess you need to kill Loic no matter what... which puts me in a bit of a pickle. Seriously though how do I stop him from healing?

Pet Pal :(

Yeah, but it makes haggling very annoying to do.

Once you hit level 5 the undead in the north should be easy to tackle. My party is a ranger/mage hybrid, a sword+shield tank and the companions.

I've exhausted nearly every side quest in the main city of Cyseal...and I'm only level 4 with and a third of the way to 5.

EVOL 100%

I've exhausted nearly every side quest in the main city of Cyseal...and I'm only level 4 with and a third of the way to 5.

Did you replace your gear? If you don't have the money you can always steal paintings and what not to fund new gear. And if you have a melee character blunt weapons work better on the undead.

Danneee

Choose your battles, if the enemies are too high level then you probably have to to level up somewhere else first.
Character placement and from where you attack can greatly affect combat outcome, use the terrain!
And scout ahead with your rogue to see enemy placement, or rush in and abuse quick save/load.

Top Bottom