• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Carcetti

I'm starting a co-op playthrough with a friend soon. Is it crazy to go 2 lone wolves so we don't have to manage to henchies?

Zukuu

Banned
I'm starting a co-op playthrough with a friend soon. Is it crazy to go 2 lone wolves so we don't have to manage to henchies?
It can get rough at times, but it's manageable. If one of you, or both play with summons it's doable without much hassle.

Anyone else getting glitched quests?

I can't complete Tom's quest even though I kind of did.

There is a perk called Lone Wolf specifically for this.

I mean, im on a OCed 2 gig 680 and an i5 2500k at 4.5ghz..... is that really not enough to max it at constant 60?

I'm running an i7 3770k, 680, 16gb RAM, 1920x1080 with ultra in-game settings and I too cannot run a steady 60FPS. Even just wandering through Cyseal I get drops down to low 40's without any action on screen. I'm almost certain it was running better before the two patches as well, which is strange. I expected it to run flawlessly considering my specs exceed the recommended quite a bit.

Varna

Really wish the party AI was in. Role-playing scenarios is interesting at first, but I found it hard to keep my characters consistent.

I'm running an i7 3770k, 680, 16gb RAM, 1920x1080 with ultra in-game settings and I too cannot run a steady 60FPS. Even just wandering through Cyseal I get drops down to low 40's without any action on screen. I'm almost certain it was running better before the two patches as well, which is strange. I expected it to run flawlessly considering my specs exceed the recommended quite a bit.

Same setup and resolution here. Running a 690GTX though. I don't even get the luxury of dips. It's either running at 60 or 30 FPS. It's really strange. Nvidia needs to get on some SLI support.

OmegaDL50

Are 4 zones confirmed then ? I'm surprised no one has been able to confirm it yet.

According to the developer Larian 4 large areas similar to the size and content of the entire map of Cyseal and surrounding area, plus 6 smaller areas, and apparently one large multilevel dungeon.

I'd say the game is easily 60 to 100 hours as they been claiming so far. This also doesn't even factor future add-ons or expansions made with the Editor be it official or fan made.

Yes there plenty to do and see. Quite an amazing game this is.

Unless Wasteland 2 or Pillars of Eternity manages to be just as great as Baldur's Gate 2 was with modern conventions and expectations, I'm going so far to say that Divinity: Original Sin is my PC cRPG GOTY for 2014.

Durante

According to the developer Larian 4 large areas similar to the size and content of the entire map of Cyseal and surrounding area, plus 6 smaller areas, and apparently one large multilevel dungeon.
If the other 4 areas are really that big I feel like our coop playthrough will take at least 100 hours.

OH wow really? I assumed the initial map was the game's map, and that Cyseal was my hub town since it's pretty big and dense. I figured as the story progressed I would return for different quests etc., I can't even guess right now how long this game is going to take me at my current progress rate. All summer?

So are all these areas currently implemented? I'd assume so seeing as the 30th was the official full release but not sure if everything is indeed in yet as I have only just begun. On that note, this is the most addicting game I've played in years.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I'd say the game is easily 60 to 100 hours as they been claiming so far. This also doesn't even factor future add-ons or expansions made with the Editor be it official or fan made.

Unless Wasteland 2 or Pillars of Eternity manages to be just as great as Baldur's Gate 2 was with modern conventions and expectations, I'm going so far to say that Divinity: Original Sin is my PC cRPG GOTY for 2014.

Are those 2 confirmed for 2014.

Spookie

U WOT M8?

Seriously I've spent 25 hours so far and not left the first map. I've not even completed the first chapter I've been too busy discovering quests with my Pet Pal skill. :D

Moff

About the Act 1 boss:

It's complete bullshit that his captains spawn with him even if you killed them earlier in the game.

heh, no its not

one of the rats in the lighthouse (I think) tells you after killing the big ghoul that they can be respawned over and over again, so I had a good chuckle when braccus rex revived them

Rizzi

I know you guys are probably sick of hearing about this by now, so this will be the last time I post about it. :p

The frame rate I'm getting is really bumming me out. I just popped a 770 in to my pc (not for this game don't think I'm a crazy person) and I still seem to hover somewhere between 26-35 fps.

Hastati

I think this is going to be an amazing year for cRPGs. I mean, it already is, with just the release of Divinity alone! I really hope it's a financial success, so they keep producing games in this style. Also definitely hoping for official expansions :)

Salsa

The frame rate I'm getting is really bumming me out. I just popped a 770 in to my pc (not for this game don't think I'm a crazy person) and I still seem to hover somewhere between 26-35 fps.

at this point I just think we need a performance patch in general

consider how cool they're being with updates tho im sure it'll get better

I know you guys are probably sick of hearing about this by now, so this will be the last time I post about it. :p

What are you trying to run it at , 1080p? I have the 770 2gb, i5-4670. ~The game runs at 60fps except for a bit of slowdown when I'm coming out of a portal. I'm on 1080p with the all the settings up. My card does run pretty hot though, I have my case fans on max when I'm playing the game haha. I'm trying to think of variables here. On a HDD not SDD, Windows 8.1....do you actually have your pc power management on full and not energy saver, nothing like that haha? I am surprised the game seems to use my card so much though.

Tenck

There anything I can do for poison right now? I've got some necklaces and rings to help a bit, but it's fucking me over when I want to reach the northern cave.

Zukuu

Banned
I don't think it's the games fault that some have such huge FPS problems (I don't say it's well optimized either tho). I've a fairly old PC that runs it around 40-50 fps on ultra settings. (i5 2.5k @3,3 (OCed to 4,1 I think) and a geforce 560 gtx ti. The game runs on a SSD tho, so even the load times are fairly quick.

OmegaDL50

You know one of things I love about this game.

The Pathfinding

Generally it's something that is largely ignored and is considered mundane.

Bear with me however. This sort of thing you can be a problem when it fails, especially being an issue in the old Infinite Engine games.

I've never seen a party member never get caught on terrain while moving across the map, and automatically walking around "dangerous" terrain...very pleasant.

The really impressive thing however, is seeing the enemy AI similarly react to the ever-changing battlefield. Finding the best routes to flank my party, or going the long way around to avoid a poison cloud--or fire elementals ignoring fiery terrain using their own immunity to take advantage of.

Great stuff.

Rizzi

at this point I just think we need a performance patch in general

consider how cool they're being with updates tho im sure it'll get better

I guess.

What are you trying to run it at , 1080p? I have the 770 2gb, i5-4670. ~The game runs at 60fps except for a bit of slowdown when I'm coming out of a portal. I'm on 1080p with the all the settings up. My card does run pretty hot though, I have my case fans on max when I'm playing the game haha. I'm trying to think of variables here. On a HDD not SDD, Windows 8.1....do you actually have your pc power management on full and not energy saver, nothing like that haha? I am surprised the game seems to use my card so much though.

i5 2400 here, and yeah, 1080p. Power management isn't on energy saver or anything.

Noaloha

The really impressive thing however, is seeing the enemy AI similarly react to the ever-changing battlefield. Finding the best routes to flank my party, or going the long way around to avoid a poison cloud--or fire elementals ignoring fiery terrain using their own immunity to take advantage of.

Great stuff.

Different enemies also pathfind differently it seems. One fight against a bunch of undead and one of those bomb skeletons, I opened up proceedings by laying down a long barrier of burning oil between us and them. When the enemies' turn came around, the undead melee and dogs (four, maybe five enemies) skirted around the edge of the fiery puddle, ending up bunched together in a tight-ish space against a cliff. When the bomb skeleton's turn came up, he just squealed and ran straight at me, into the fire close to the edge, exploded and took out his pocket of buddies. :)

You know one of things I love about this game.

The Pathfinding

Generally it's something that is largely ignored and is considered mundane.

Bear with me however. This sort of thing you can be a problem when it fails, especially being an issue in the old Infinite Engine games.

I've never seen a party member never get caught on terrain while moving across the map, and automatically walking around "dangerous" terrain...very pleasant.

Great stuff.

The enemy AI is truly impressive. Using ice arrows to create slippery surfaces? Having your infantry flank?

misho8723

Banned
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-sin-larian-studios-fastest-selling-game-ever

""It's definitely the fastest-selling game we've ever published. The last figures I saw we were at 160,000. "

"Divinity: Original Sin costs $39.99. If it's sold 160,000 copies, that's $6.39m in revenue. Half that and we get €3.19m (£2.5m), which means the project is well on its way to breaking even."

"Larian is working on a hotfix for the game, as well as its first major patch, which will add new content."

Great news.. this game deserves it

Sentenza

Isn't delightfully ironic how their less publisher-influenced and more niche-targeted game is turning out to be their best and fastest selling title so far?

Danneee

Isn't delightfully ironic how their less publisher-influenced and more niche-targeted game is turning out to be their best and fastest selling title so far?

The best thing that has happened to gaming for a long while.
It shows that the over simplifying of just about every system isn't what everyone wants and that there is still a market for 90s style computer games.

ZoddGutts

Yeah, crazy how well it's selling despite any marketing nor any reviews from big gaming websites yet. It's about 3 days since release and it's still outselling everything else on Steam. I have a good feeling this is going to be one of those games that will sell very well whenever it's on discount because of how damn good the game turned out, the people who already own it will tell everyone who hasn't bought it yet to buy it. Which is kinda what is happening right now.

FtHTiny

So ice on the floor isn´t evaded automatically by the pathing. I´m okay with this even if it looks stupid when the whole party trips over and over again until someone resists the knockdown.

That Steam sale was really great timing for raising awareness and getting momentum and word of mouth behind the game just as it released.

Moff

they should work on an original sin sequel for a few months and kickstart it again then, after what they have delivered now, I'm pretty sure it will be a much more successful kickstarter campaign next time.

KhayN

Neo Member
Hey!
I just bought the game.
Can you guys tell me what has change from the beta build?
New features and stuff.
I only played the tutorial part of the old build to avoid spoilers.

Monooboe

Ok, back in town licking my wounds, have to figure out where I can go.XD
Source Monster in the cave kicked my ass, going north with the undead swine is little bit too much to handle.
Seems everywhere I go I'm couple levels under everyone.

Zakalwe

Banned
This game is a labour of love. The density of content per area is staggering. If each of the other large maps is anywhere near Cyseal's size and density then I have no words.

Well, maybe a few...

As someone else rightly suggested, the combat system with it's spell/skill/item synergy and environment interaction could float a dungeon crawler on its own. Had we been sold a straight up Diablo clone with these mechanics many of us would still be enamoured.

That we get this dense, sprawling, open and interactive sanbox of a world on top is like a dream.

I'd like to say that I usually find myself overwhelmed in openworld games. After the obligatory tutorial, when the map opens up, more often than not I sit staring at the screen feeling a little lost. Usually there are mutilple waypoints, or tonnes of NPCs with quest highlights, and markers on the map for collectables and side quests. For all the guidance these games give me I'm never really sure where I want to go only where I'm being told to go.

With D:OS none if that matters because the entire point is exploration and discovery. This is one of the core aspects of the game. You literally get out what you put in, and adventure rewards the brave with more than just a little xp or a few trinkets. You still get these things, but you also get new branches of story, hidden areas, little clues to the overall lore that manipulate the story in subtle ways at different points depending on the order you take things.

You /need/ to explore to progress, and that need propels you forward with an urgency that gps guidance just can't compete with. There's an irony here that some devs should pay attention to.

Also...

Character progression, at first, felt a little too slow. The soft cap of 20 seemed low: how was I going to power up my savior of the world and exploit all the great talents and skills? How was the game going to make me feel powerful?

Then it clicked and I realised that the slower drip of progression and limited options really make you care about your choices. You can't just take whatever you want knowing you'll max out later. Any to talk to animals early? Sure thing, but that handy talent that unlocks two ability points that would make fighting those level 5 orcs on the beach so much easier? Well, you won't be able to access that for another 3 levels. I know making a choice between skills isn't anything new, but because of the pace of progression the choices feel more weighty here.

And even if you do choose the ability to converse with hilariously loyal dogs and pompous roosters over enhanced combat prowess, the game is smart enough to present each combat encounter as a puzzle you can solve even if you haven't min/maxed super effectively.

I also love how as your characters grow in power you get a sense of which talents will suit them best. My warrior companion fights with a pike, can hit multiple times, has crazy reach for melee, but drops quite often in comparison to my Knight who has a little less offense and armour/reistance buffs instead. So, I made my Warrior a Morning Person (talent to revive with full health) and gave my Knight the vitality boost. Now my knight can take the brunt of the damage and my Warrior can skip about flanking knowing that if I get caught out, I can revive to a safe spot and be back in the game straight away. I know many of this will seem obvious to genre vets, but it just feels so personal after spending so much time playing RPGs that throw power at you without much consideration or just too quickly for it to feel important.

I also really like how the slower rate of progression makes those optional higher level areas seem like something you have to really work toward, or if you prefer think outside the box to overcome (see the barrel stacking boss). It makes the world seem much more open, and how you never feel overpowered and combat always seems to retain a sense of danger.

The foundations they've laid here for future mod development hint at a very promising future for the community, too. I've dabbled in mods in private before, but I think this will be the first game that's inspires me to go all out with story based content (maybe a dungeon or two first).

40+ hours total playtime.
25-30 of those pure release build SP.
Just leaving first area (estimate 90% done).
Not once have I felt lost or that progression is a grind.
This is incredible.

-

PS - I have a hazy definition of "maybe a few" in context, but this game has just got me. I haven't been got in quite a while.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I literally played the game since 9 am this morning.. and it's now 7 pm. At least 17-hours clocked and just beat
everlyn and some optional orc boss
. Game continues to deliver and to think that I've barely scratched the surface at this point. Starting to crave a respec for two of my created characters.. especially since I'm really starting to figure out the systems out now and my build right now feels kind of gimped compared to what it could be. Oh well too late to restart at this point.:p

ZoddGutts

Hey!
I just bought the game.
Can you guys tell me what has change from the beta build?
New features and stuff.
I only played the tutorial part of the old build to avoid spoilers.

Voice acting and game balancing stuff. Also the rest of the game now being playable, the beta only had the first quarter of the game.

Top Bottom