• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Salsa

Started a game as rogue and now I'm not feeling it. Should I restart the game? Do I have any other options?

you can just spec the character the way you want as you go on, you'd just be "losing" a couple points and traits

even a load screen tells you as much

my shadowblade is basically a rogue with some magic at this point

I bought it full price and don't regret it.

Yeah, it's well worth the asking price. This is an amazing game that might take you 100 hours to finish. I'm almost ashamed that I bought it at 20% off. Larian deserves all the money they can get from this. If you're even slightly interested in cRPGs, then you can't go wrong with this game. It's up there with the best from the 90s and early 00s.

Yeah, realizing that the game is classless was a trip. Just choose the outfit you like and change everything else from there. There isn't a single default class in the game that I wouldn't change at least one thing about.

What's the difference between Sneaking and Invisible? Does Sneaking affect moving while Invisible, or vice versa? The Shadowblade for instance - do I need to put a point into Sneaking if I have the Invisible spell?

From what I can tell it looks like Invisible can be combat-casted, while Sneaking can not.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I use it to make special arrows a bunch. Without it, I wouldn't be able to rely on them nearly as much as I have.

Did you pick up the arrow recovery talent? I haven't had many instances where I needed them yet but this will probably change if I raise the difficulty. If you did, I'm wondering if you found the %20 recovery a useful talent?

HoosTrax

No, I only have 3 useless perks so far
The only thing you need for backstabbing is a compatible weapon (a dagger) and proper positioning (directly behind the target). The tooltip will change to a dagger being held downward. It's a guaranteed critical and daggers use 2 AP per attack. Rogue get various skills that can help with retreating afterwards.

HoosTrax

What's the difference between Sneaking and Invisible? Does Sneaking affect moving while Invisible, or vice versa? The Shadowblade for instance - do I need to put a point into Sneaking if I have the Invisible spell?

From what I can tell it looks like Invisible can be combat-casted, while Sneaking can not.
You cannot use pickpocket while Invisible. You must be in Sneak.

I played and finished all of the famous Interplay/Black Isle/Bioware/Troika games. Are we talking this quality here?

In the very least I can attest that the game starts stronger than the classics, whether it has the staying power or not. You really have to love RPGs and have a good idea of what to expect later to make it through some of those classic cRPG intros, especially Arcanum, Fallout, and BG1 (IMO).

Gaz_RB

Did you pick up the arrow recovery talent? I haven't had many instances where I needed them yet but this will probably change if I raise the difficulty. If you did, I'm wondering if you found the %20 recovery a useful talent?
I find it very useful with my Archer. Those arrows don't come cheap.

The only thing you need for backstabbing is a compatible weapon (a dagger) and proper positioning (directly behind the target). The tooltip will change to a dagger being held downward. It's a guaranteed critical and daggers use 2 AP per attack. Rogue get various skills that can help with retreating afterwards.

You need the Back Stabber Talent actually.

NIN90

230230_2014-07-03_000ugsb8.png

So the motherfucker in the top right corner cast Rain and some lightning bolt.
Guess what happened? Everyone stunned except him and my mage.

Game is rad.

HoosTrax

I played and finished all of the famous Interplay/Black Isle/Bioware/Troika games. Are we talking this quality here?
Definitely. I would put this game up there with Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, or Icewind Dale in terms of quality and overall design. There's also a lot more environmental interactivity than in those earlier game.

Despite comparisons some people have made, this game doesn't have a central story that revolves around your character like in Baldur's Gate and Torment.

I find it very useful with my Archer. Those arrows don't come cheap.

You need the Back Stabber Talent actually.

Ah, right you are, I forgot about the perk requirement.

In the very least I can attest that the game starts stronger than the classics, whether it has the staying power or not. You really have to love RPGs and have a good idea of what to expect later to make it through some of those classic cRPG intros, especially Arcanum, Fallout, and BG1 (IMO).

Yes, I adore the genre. I think I'll give Divinity a shot. Are there any cheap Steam keys available on legit sites?

Santiako

My ranger henchman has is and I've found it invaluable, those arrows are expensive and rare, so recovering 1 or 2 per fight is great.

Gaz_RB

Ah, right you are, I forgot about the perk requirement.

When I first started a coop game with my friend after I had played for a bit (I was a cleric he was a rogue), I kept telling him to backstab, but he just couldn't do it and he and I were getting so mad. We finally realized that you needed the perk.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
What really annoys me so far is how the resurrection system works. Each time a party member dies I have to get back to town and buy resurrection scrolls. It makes the game a bit more challenging and realistic but it's a chore. Imo the classic system where party members get auto resurrected after a fight with temp stat penalties would work much better

Sarcasm

What really annoys me so far is how the resurrection system works. Each time a party member dies I have to get back to town and buy resurrection scrolls. It makes the game a bit more challenging and realistic but it's a chore. Imo the classic system where party members get auto resurrected after a fight with temp stat penalties would work much better

Believe you can make a spellbook and teach it to a wizard or something.

Having a blast. About 5 hours in and still just kinda roaming the city and on the first murder case. I love it. Whenever I get done, I need to check out the older cRPGs I haven't got a chance to really play though. Good thing I bought Baulder's Gate 1 and 2 EE during the Steam sale.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Believe you can make a spellbook and teach it to a wizard or something.

You can make a spell book out of scrolls? I think a merchant is selling a resurrection spell book but he's in the second town and I'm not there yet

But you can activate sneak while invisible and it has a 100% success rate while invisibility is on, so you can pickpocket people right in front of their faces.

But any character can enter Sneak. I'm just wondering if putting points in the Sneak skill compliments being Invisible, or does being Invisible pretty much make you undetectable (until you take an action).

How well do you think this game would translate to a controller? I play all of my games on a controller and have real problems trying to use a keyboard to play a game. I usually map the following:
WASD = Left Analog Stick
Mouse X&Y Axis= to Right Analog Stick
Mouse Left & Right Buttons = Shoulder Buttons
Various commands to the rest of the buttons.
Any opinions as to whether this would work ok? I really want to play the game but not if I can't use controller and I'm a bit hesitant to take such a gamble at the current price.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
But any character can enter Sneak. I'm just wondering if putting points in the Sneak skill compliments being Invisible, or does being Invisible pretty much make you undetectable (until you take an action).

If you're invisible you are undetectable until you break it or it wears off.

How well do you think this game would translate to a controller? I play all of my games on a controller and have real problems trying to use a keyboard to play a game. I usually map the following:
WASD = Left Analog Stick
Any opinions as to whether this would work ok? I really want to play the game but not if I can't use controller and I'm a bit hesitant to take such a gamble at the current price.

This is very very much a keyboard and mouse game, it's all point & click from the interface, to movement to well everything. I mean I dunno what kind of games you've tried with that setup, but it'd be like trying to play something like Civ V with that.

Zakalwe

Banned
WASD = Left Analog Stick

Any discomfort you would have playing on m&kb would be so much worse using a controller.

WASD = Left Analog Stick

no not even close

Zakalwe

Banned
Are there best and worst character classes or are they all pretty much useful?

Everything is workable.

Just make sure you have a good balanced party using basic party building logic and you'll be fine.

Be aware that the only two current companions (extra party members with story dialogue) are an air/water mage and a warrior. You find them already at level 3. This may effect your starting choices.

You can hire a henchmen for every class, but they won't have dialogue.

WASD = Left Analog Stick

No, that wouldn't work well at all. But you don't really have to use the keyboard if you don't want to. You can control everything with the mouse and it's turn based so you don't need to quickly choose anything on the keyboard.

White Man

No, that wouldn't work well at all. But you don't really have to use the keyboard if you don't want to. You can control everything with the mouse and it's turn based so you don't need to quickly choose anything on the keyboard.

Hmm, I might try this on my surface.

Zeliard

Hmmm, can I get away with just a fighter and a thief with a bow or will I need a caster of some sort?

One of the companions you get is a caster (focused at the start on hydro/aero), and there are also henchmen in the game. I would say it's very useful to have two casters in your party - whether you go that route with one of your main chars or companions/henchmen - because of the way different elemental effects combine in the game.

Zakalwe

Banned
Hmmm, can I get away with just a fighter and a thief with a bow or will I need a caster of some sort?
I edited my reply above, should help with this.

Also to consider is that everyone can do everything in terms of utility.

Everyone can steal effectively. If you spec into thief skills you get a few more options to steal with and a streamlined way of doing it, but you can plunder houses without a single point invested.

And everyone can use scrolls to cast spells, so if you want fire (for example) there's no need to roll a fire mage. Rangers have special arrows too, and you can use items like candles to set fires.

Resurrection is all done via scrolls, think Pheonix Down, and there are healing options without mages if you don't want to take a healer specifically.

Etc...

dcassell

Banned
also im totally using 6 AP weapons that are out of my level

come at me

Yeah, once I hit level 5 all the battles instantly became far easier since my weapons finally worked with my characters. Had been using weapons that added 2 AP to every attack. Was wondering why I was having such a hard time! The game is far more enjoyable now

Chaos17

One of the companions you get is a caster (focused at the start on hydro/aero), and there are also henchmen in the game. I would say it's very useful to have two casters in your party - whether you go that route with one of your main chars or companions/henchmen - because of the way different elemental effects combine in the game.

Yup, I got two in my party with an archer and they do suit each other well.
Also, healing spells are helping my wallet a lot, lol.

Happened to come across a couple of threads where users were using a controller for the game and said it worked quite well. Even found a video of guy playing with his Hydra Razer. So now, I'm considering it again. At the very least, I can play with just the mouse which is fine with me.

You can watch the video here. http://youtu.be/ryxSJV2kCjU

Hmm, I might try this on my surface.

The game has touchpad control support, whatever that means exactly.

Top Bottom