• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Thanks, Lurker.

My battle Mage is more a utility protector to my traditional Mage. My friend is playing two fighters. Battle Mage is the buffer with some complimentary skills. He doesn't need to venture far.

Will be hard to get enough strength to allow him to hit anything and wear good armour, though. Int isn't as important for him as for my pure Mage.

Btw, have you noticed whether int impacts summoned creatures and buff spells at all?

Edit: So no throwing weapons? :(

Haven't seen any throwing weapons, no.

Summoned creatures, far as I can tell, have a strength relative to some combination of caster level and caster's int.

As to hit chance: your primary attribute determines your hit percentage, which can make a huge difference for physical damage-dealers. It's something 5%/per point. So "multiclassing" will be real tough.

But this is Divinity: Original Sin, so there are always other options. Leadership 2 adds 10% to hit, bless (witchcraft) adds 30%, and knockdown gives a perfect hit chance... there are probably more possibilities out there.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So, how do I deal with lava?
you stay out of it

but seriously.

there's even a loading screen that basically says "There is no way to nullfiy lava. Really. If you find yourself facing down lava you need to... be somewhere else. Right away."

Or something like that.

it seems kind of lame that rain/water doesn't affect it... but obviously that's what fire is for, and clearly they needed that one environmental aspect that was "unbeatable"

Has anyone been able to get into the guarded room on the docks? I can open the door with a unlock scroll, but even when I distract the guards they still attack as soon as the spell goes off.

Danneee

you stay out of it

but seriously.

there's even a loading screen that basically says "There is no way to nullfiy lava. Really. If you find yourself facing down lava you need to... be somewhere else. Right away."

Or something like that.

it seems kind of lame that rain/water doesn't affect it... but obviously that's what fire is for, and clearly they needed that one environmental aspect that was "unbeatable"

Of course! It was just too obvious. Lucky I got two characters proficient in water magic:)

Hah, it loads so fast on my SSD that I never thought of reading the text, I just look at the buggy progress bars.

Fuz

Banned
Game is fantastic, I'm pretty sure it will be my personal 2014 GOTY.

But it has some problems... first, it's very slow. The wait times on save/quicksave/load/transition are insanely long and they kill a bit my will to play.
Also I personally detest the rock/paper/scissor... it's a terrible way to handle the arguments and kills immersion (also it always looks like the PC is cheating which - true or false - it's annoying).

VandalD

Sweet, that latest update drastically improved the quicksave time for folks like me with really old computers. Still top seller as of this post too. Good stuff, Larian! Edit: Damn you, Payday 2 DLC!

Levyne

Banned
I think the game is slow, at least the way I'm tackling it, but it's because I'm meticulously talking to people, or double checking my quest log and recipe books, or managing items. Saving and loading or warping aren't really a big wait for me, and I'm on a regular ol' hard drive.

I do agree the RPS thing seems a bit weird.

Levyne

Banned
Are you guys bothering with crafting? I usually ignore it in most wRPG, and I don't think it is going to change here.

Mostly just arrows here, with some of the writing/scroll/book base stuff I'm still figuring out, as well as some others like making lockpicks with nails. Not doing a lot of smithing or food cooking.

Durante

We just won a battle against 6 level 7 enemies with a level 3/3/3/4 party. Admittedly, we also had a single level 7 ally.

If you have 3 casters stacking buffs on one character the result is pretty impressive.

UncleBiz

Alright, I'm stuck, need some help :(
I'm at the part where you sneak past the goblins to get to the mines. Can't get past the big group of sleeping ones without waking them up. help!

VandalD

Are you guys bothering with crafting? I usually ignore it in most wRPG, and I don't think it is going to change here.
I've kept notes of recipes and the books I've read, but I haven't really made too much, no. I probably would be if I had a ranger though, those arrows seem great when they're used on me. Kind of seems like a waste to give your main party any crafting skills when you can just hire a henchman and train them up as one, then kick them out of your party when you're going out of town. I always find it hard to justify putting points into things that aren't combat when the same points are used for combat effectiveness. Since you can't just ignore fighting in this game, everything has to relate back to your effectiveness in a fight, and it's just more logical to me to boost how good I am with a sword instead of how good I am at making a sword.
I'm at the part where you sneak past the goblins to get to the mines. Can't get past the big group of sleeping ones without waking them up. help!
That spot gave me trouble too.
I stopped trying to sneak around. You might be able to throw some baskets out of the way so you have a clean route, but I ended up killing them. It took many retries to win that fight, but I got through it with just Madora dying, finally. You're going to need a ton of AOE. They don't care about ground effects. They'll walk right through whatever you put down and wreck you. Was going to try throwing a bunch of oil barrels at them, Monster Hunter style, but couldn't find any.

FtHTiny

Do you not want to kill them?
But with invisibilty potion it should be easy enough.
Just let your party behind there is a portal in the mine.

ZoddGutts

So about 76 hrs after released it's been dethroned for the number 1 seller spot at Steam. D:OS had a great run. In other news, it broke 14k concurrent D:OS players today. So the number of players per day keep increasing. Wonder what number of concurrent players I'll peak on Saturday?

UncleBiz

That spot gave me trouble too.
I stopped trying to sneak around. You might be able to throw some baskets out of the way so you have a clean route, but I ended up killing them. It took many retries to win that fight, but I got through it with just Madora dying, finally. You're going to need a ton of AOE. They don't care about ground effects. They'll walk right through whatever you put down and wreck you. Was going to try throwing a bunch of oil barrels at them, Monster Hunter style, but couldn't find any.

Thanks, didn't even think about
moving baskets
, lol.

Santiako

Found a purple dye so now my witch looks fabulous~
Z8bYYqB.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So about 76 hrs after released it's been dethroned for the number 1 seller spot at Steam. D:OS had a great run. In other news, it broke 14k concurrent D:OS players today. So the number of players per day keep increasing. Wonder what number of concurrent players I'll peak on Saturday?

It's being outsold by a DLC pack that has a bunch of shotguns in Payday 2?

Wow.

Also I found a small bug.
After you found the staff for the mayor Cecil but decide to keep it, if you talk to him again after that you will see the dialogue again but no matter if you choose to give it to him this time or keep it, he will continue to yell at you and you will get -attitude from him and + some attributes, can't remember which.

Birathen

I had to turn dificulty down to easy. I love these kinds of games but I suck at them D: Im not sure how long I have been playing, 12 - 15 hours but it feels like I hardly have left the town :p

LiK

will get it when it's on sale again. still bummed a Gaffer promised to gift a copy to me but never did.

FACE

Banned
It's being outsold by a DLC pack that has a bunch of shotguns in Payday 2?

Wow.

I'm surprised that D:OS was the no.1 seller for any amount of time since the average steam user(going by the forums) is about as intelligent as a potato.

Zakalwe

Banned
How does perception work? My thief has the higher perception rating, but I want to lead with my Knight just in case there's a trap or trouble. Does perception work for the group and utilize whomever has the highest rating or do I actually have to be controlling the character?

Chain order (top to bottom) is the order of combat. Top two front row, bottom back.

Doesn't matter who you lead with, you'll reorder as soon as combat begins.

Decado

Summoned creatures, far as I can tell, have a strength relative to some combination of caster level and caster's int.
Interesting. I wonder if that is new. All my experiments showed no difference with regards to int. It is tough to tell due to my inability to see a summon's stats beyond vitality, though.

rybrad

I had to turn dificulty down to easy. I love these kinds of games but I suck at them D: Im not sure how long I have been playing, 12 - 15 hours but it feels like I hardly have left the town :p
As long as you are having fun that is all that matters! With that being said, I would recommend trying to keep it on normal and re-think your tactics on fights (or ask for advice!). As someone late to the genre, I am not great at turn-based tactical games but get better with practice on each one that comes out. Divinity is incredibly satisfying to improve at with the amount of free-form tactics available and high environmental interaction.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Okay, Black Cove. I give up:
The ghost with the booby trapped room.
What do I have to do?

There is a switch you have to hit in the room. Only the character he's actually talking to has the no move stipulation.

Would you like to know a secret, GAF?

I'm starting over tonight. Again. This time for a dedicated rogue and mage.

God help me. I'll never start this game in earnest.

Einbroch

Banned
Is this a good co-op game? I'm just kind of confused just what kind of game this is, having never played a Baulder's Gate or anything like it.

HoosTrax

Would you like to know a secret, GAF?

I'm starting over tonight. Again. This time for a dedicated rogue and mage.

God help me. I'll never start this game in earnest.
I've restarted four times already. If I had known then what I know now, I would have started off with a mage with pyro+geo+witchcraft and a rogue (with a few points in marksman possibly).

On the plus side, it gets faster each time and I'm confident I can clear nearly every quest in area one in less than a day now.

Salsa

I already regret plenty but no way im restarting

i'll do a second co-op playthrough on a later date, these chars are hardly gonna be perfect builds but they'll get me through normal difficulty and figuring out the game on my own

Levyne

Banned
I already regret plenty but no way im restarting

i'll do a second co-op playthrough on a later date, these chars are hardly gonna be perfect builds but they'll get me through normal difficulty and figuring out the game on my own

This is basically my mindset. My first-go builds will surely be flawed due to ignorance, but if worse comes to worst, I can always set to easy for an encounter or two.

Top Bottom