• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

My characters Sebbeth and Lemuria.

05wMfnP.jpg

Can't wait to see what trouble they get into.

They roughly match the portraits, well done.

You clearly know how to handle that sort of limitation.

I don't think that is a helpful tip...

The solution is not a tip, and anything more would be just that.

JLeack

Banned
Is this game about as good as previous Divinity games? I'm curious if this is a stand-out title. I really shouldn't buy any more games this Summer but I'm kinda bored right now.

HoosTrax

I have two people with teleport and it does a lot of damage and it's a lot of fun to put enemies where they shouldn't be :)
It's my favorite way of dealing with those suicide bomber skeletons.

Is this game about as good as previous Divinity games? I'm curious if this is a stand-out title. I really shouldn't buy any more games this Summer but I'm kinda bored right now.
All of the Divinity games are different though. Other than being set in the same universe. Divine Divinity (ugh I hate typing that stupid name) was an ARPG. Divinity II was a Gothic style game (I thought it was a pretty awful eurojank game like Gothic to be honest). Divinity: Dragon Commander was its own unique thing. This game is more like a Bioware party-based isometric RPG than anything else.

JLeack

Banned
All of the Divinity games are different though. Other than being set in the same universe. Divine Divinity (ugh I hate typing that stupid name) was an ARPG. Divinity II was a Gothic style game (I thought it was a pretty awful eurojank game like Gothic to be honest). Divinity: Dragon Commander was its own unique thing. This game is more like a Bioware party-based isometric RPG than anything else.

Thank you sir!

Zukuu

Banned

coming from someone who played all of them, this is their best game by a huge degree. Hell, it's better than most PC rpgs /or games in general) that I've ever played. Gameplay wise, it's the best cRPG by far.

Gaz_RB

OK just tell me how to do this stupid vase pressure plate shit in this stupid Immaculate Trial Cave before I explode

This game is better than the rest of the Divinity games, by far.

Bug: Equipping my dark-skinned character with the Antique Cloth armor makes her body light-skinned while her face stays dark. Anyone else experience this?

nbthedude

How single player friendly is this?

As others have said, you don't really miss anything. It's just that coop works seamlessly as a way to share a big, expansive well written cRPG w/o dumb limitations.

As a single player you literally get all the same content, right down to the conversations between your characters.

I hate you for having character appareances that match the portraits you god damn bastard
They roughly match the portraits, well done.

You clearly know how to handle that sort of limitation.
lol, yeah, it bothered me. I could handle it in games like Neverwinter Nights where the character creator wasn't very robust and your avatar was your character for all intents and purposes, but Divinity's creator is so nice that I wish the avatars reflected that. Making characters that resemble the avatars was my compromise, though I wish I had more flexibility.

Bug: Equipping my dark-skinned character with the Antique Cloth armor makes her body light-skinned while her face stays dark. Anyone else experience this?
Reposting this for a new page if anyone missed it. Is there a place I can report this stuff?

jediyoshi

Moving downward in this game really bugs me. Your character is centered so low. Most of the area you have to position your mouse while hold running is almost entirely over the action bar.

Sarcasm

Moving downward in this game really bugs me. Your character is centered so low. Most of the area you have to position your mouse while hold running is almost entirely over the action bar.

AWSD moves the camera....what I have an issue with is in battle I go to click the enemy and its a sword for attack right? But when I click it moves and than it becomes walk there lol.

OK just tell me how to do this stupid vase pressure plate shit in this stupid Immaculate Trial Cave before I explode

Full solution since you asked for it:

Each pressure plate requires a specific amount of weight. The vases are a bit misleading since those aren't the only objects you must use. The first plate nearest the statue is easy as a nearby vase works, which has a weight of 5. The plate immediately across, being smaller, requires weight of 2. There is a bucket full of water hidden behind a secret door that works, or you can just use whatever items you want (you can stack things on top of eachother). The next plate, the smallest of them all, requires a weight of 1. There are books around that serve this purpose very well. The final plate, the largest of them all, requires a weight of 7.5. There are barrels down the hallway adjacent the plate that will suffice. You'll know you have the weight right when the pressure plate goes *click*.

I wrote this entirely from memory sorry if anything is wrong.

Gaz_RB

Full solution since you asked for it:

Each pressure plate requires a specific amount of weight. The vases are a bit misleading since those aren't the only objects you must use. The first plate nearest the statue is easy as a nearby vase works, which has a weight of 5. The plate immediately across, being smaller, requires weight of 2. There is a bucket full of water hidden behind a secret door that works, or you can just use whatever items you want (you can stack things on top of eachother). The next plate, the smallest of them all, requires a weight of 1. There are books around that serve this purpose very well. The final plate, the largest of them all, requires a weight of 7.5. There are barrels down the hallway adjacent the plate that will suffice. You'll know you have the weight right when the pressure plate goes *click*.

I wrote this entirely from memory sorry if anything is wrong.

Thanks man.

I figured it out a few minutes ago.
I just took something random out of my inventory and placed it on the last pressure plate. When it clicked, my coop friend and I started yelling and laughing haha.

It felt like one of those reality shows where you have to team up and do challenges. My partner and I's patience was gone and we were like yelling at each other trying to figure it out. Amazing.

Zukuu

Banned
My melee is just slaughtering people. Just turned Level 10 and have crafted a ~200 damage 2h sword with lvl 5 black smithing. Add level 5 Two Handed skill, and 14 strength on top and I one shot mini-bosses with the new skill Flurry (deals like up to 1.6k damage with orb buff). Those 800 aoe hits are also nothing to snort at. Buffing my melee, throwing him into a bunch of enemies with my other character ( he has over 1k hp and regs more than he receives damage by most hits due to Leech trait) so he has enough AP to devastate everything in a single turn. xD

I love to break games.

I hope they prioritize fixing merchant inventories resetting on loads. There is a certain merchant later on that could be very game-breaking. I don't really wanna write it here but once you see it it's pretty obvious that it's probably not working as intended.

EDIT: They might have fixed it already or it's resetting when you level. I can't seem to make it happen anymore lol... I'll check again next time I level.

Danneee

I have two people with teleport and it does a lot of damage and it's a lot of fun to put enemies where they shouldn't be :)

Teleport does enough damage to lesser enemies that I killed all the wolves except for the black one by sneaking around and teleporting them on top of each other.

I hope they prioritize fixing merchant inventories resetting on loads. There is a certain merchant later on that could be very game-breaking. I don't really wanna write it here but once you see it it's pretty obvious that it's probably not working as intended.

Spoiler that or PM. I want to break the game on a save.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
During the Apple iPhone reveal at Macworld 2007; Steve Jobs mentioned that when he showed the phone's scrolling demonstration to someone, the other person replied "You had me at scrolling".

Note: I have avoided spoilers or information pool (wikis) for Divinity: Original Sin, nor followed it up when it was in Kickstarter.

This game..this damn game got me dumb struck, When it showed I could move objects just like that in the tutorial dungeon. (holy shit, I am mind blown..such a trivial detail makes so much impact)

Sarcasm

Spoiler or PM! Just curious.

Zukuu

Banned
the only environment mechanism that I hate is "Tripping". It was atrocious and unbalanced in Smash Brothers, it is here as well.

bounchfx

bought it earlier based on the hype and I am not disappointed. It's great, but one thing:

Is there any way to do this co op with a friend, two characters each? We both started multiplayer and made our two characters, and we assumed that when we played together we would each control our two, but it seems like MP is only with 2 characters? Is there any way to play with 4 or unlock the other 2?

Thanks!!

Sarcasm

bought it earlier based on the hype and I am not disappointed. It's great, but one thing:

Is there any way to do this co op with a friend, two characters each? We both started multiplayer and made our two characters, and we assumed that when we played together we would each control our two, but it seems like MP is only with 2 characters? Is there any way to play with 4 or unlock the other 2?

Thanks!!

Yes. Once you have 4 characters the host goes into ESC>Assign to move characters around.

Zeliard

Love how logical the four pillars puzzle was. Read the in-game clue, thought "hmm... let me try this," and was quite happy when it worked. And the clue struck a nice balance in giving you a hint without being overt.

Yasae

Banned
Love how logical the four pillars puzzle was. Read the in-game clue, thought "hmm... let me try this," and was quite happy when it worked. And the clue struck a nice balance in giving you a hint without being overt.
Half agree, because
the character pushing the switches also confirms if presses are in the correct order, so technically the game tells you the answer.

Fou-Lu

Huh, didn't realize this game was out, or was going to be so good. Should I play it as someone who loves all kinds of RPGs from Planescape to Diablo to Earthbound that has never played a Divinity game outside of Dragon Commander? And is it worth the full price?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ok, what is the clue for that puzzle then?

I thought it might be
putting the different elemental barrels but I haven't tried it.

Zukuu

Banned
Huh, didn't realize this game was out, or was going to be so good. Should I play it as someone who loves all kinds of RPGs from Planescape to Diablo to Earthbound that has never played a Divinity game outside of Dragon Commander? And is it worth the full price?

What kind of question is that lol? Even if you weren't, the answer is clearly: YES. The game has nigh to no connection to any of the other divinity games.

Fou-Lu

What kind of question is that lol? Even if you weren't, the answer is clearly: YES. The game has nigh to no connection to any of the other divinity games.

It was pretty much rhetorical at this point wasn't it? Guess I'll be picking it up when I get back home after visiting my parents.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
27 hours in, quality hasn't dipped 1 iota. Second area is great, albeit a bit more combat heavy then Cyseal.

This game is just astonishingly good.

Salsa

too bad bout
character pushes dialog

Top Bottom