• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Moff

I think you can see on steam how many people have the achievement for finishing the game? I dont even know what zones 3 and 4 are

Zakalwe

Banned
Jealous :(. Man, I was so close to Kickstarting this back when it was announced, but I backed out after trying one of the old Divinity games and not liking it--now I'm hooked on OS. Ah, well.

Regarding the game: can anyone explain to me how the charisma experience system works, and how it relates to conversation dueling (i.e., Rock, Paper, Scissors)? Intimidate seems to be my highest rated option, but I have no idea why.

I think it's based on bonuses you receive from the dialogue choices you make between your two characters.

Maybe someone else can elaborate?

Anyone finished the game? How long was it?

Based on the first map, and the fact the devs say there are 4 maps of comparable size to that, and 6 more smaller maps, the game is easily going to be 100 hours or so if you explore everything, maybe even more.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I think you can see on steam how many people have the achievement for finishing the game? I dont even know what zones 3 and 4 are
Just checked, apparently not a single person has finished the game yet :O

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Got like 23-hours clocked on Steam so far. Absolutely loved that the game conveniently came out during holiday time. As I rarely play a video game this long. Although it's back to reality once the 14th hits.:(

Have a friend who has 63 - 15 (15 of those were from the beta) hours clocked on his profile.

Zakalwe

Banned
What's the longest current single-game playtime in this thread? Mine's just 12 hours or so, as it's all coop.

I'm at 43 hours on steam.
8 of those beta.
5 of those co-op.

So 30 hours so far. Still not completed the entirety of the first map... oh lord...

Zakalwe

Banned
How's the story and setting? When starting a game how much customization does it allow, only for one character or can you customize both?

I love the world they've built. The tone is light hearted, tongue in cheek at times, and legitimately funny (especially if you take the Pet Pal talent and converse with animals). It never takes itself too seriously, and it never feels too dramatic, but the story is interesting and characters seem unique and make the somewhat generic setting feel fresh.

I don't think this will have the best story we've ever seen, but the world building and setting are really great.

You can choose a starting class, then reset all stats and build whatever you want. Customisation in terms of builds is extremely in depth.

Appearance customisation is decent, not the most in depth I've seen but there are a good amount of varied options. Gear changes appearance, and you can dye it.

You customise both main characters. If you want to play co-op, your partner can join at the creation screen so you both get to build your characters.

You fully customize both, you basically create a pair of characters.

I love the world they've built. The tone is light hearted, tongue in cheek at times, and legitimately funny (especially if you take the Pet Pal talent and converse with animals). It never takes itself too seriously, and it never feels too dramatic, but the story is interesting and characters seem unique and make the somewhat generic setting feel fresh.

I don't think this will have the best story we've ever seen, but the world building and setting are really great.

You can choose a starting class, then reset all stats and build whatever you want. Customisation in terms of builds is extremely in depth.

Appearance customisation is decent, not the most in depth I've seen but there are a good amount of varied options. Gear changes appearance, and you can dye it.

You customise both main characters. If you want to play co-op, your partner can join at the creation screen so you both get to build your characters.

Thanks! And is customization based on class or can we choose whatever we want? For example, can I create a warrior type that looks like a mage or a monk and a mage type that looks like a warrior?

Durante

Thanks! And is customization based on class or can we choose whatever we want? For example, can I create a warrior type that looks like a mage or a monk and a mage type that looks like a warrior?
There are no classes, only predefined starting skill sets/attributes. You can fully customize everything and create any combination (of course, not every combination will make sense).

Eventually, everyone ends up mage.

If you know what's good for you.

No, in all honesty, everyone in my party is versed in at least one level of Hydrophology in order to get access to healing spells.

My party set up:
Lady Sherlock is my Knight. She has an Ice Elemental summon as well as Ice Shard for long range, when close combat is not an option.
Shakespeare is a Wayfarer, and has evolved into being my crowd controller with both Spider and Fire Elemental summons. I opted out of a staff in favor of a crossbow, and the juxtaposition of magic and a long range physical weapon works great. I gave him a point in Marksman so I could give him Ricochet and Mute.

I swapped out the two other party members as soon as I could for a Ranger and a Witch as soon as I could.
Neresa is my Witch, and she's my assault. She has a Fire summon and all of the offensive Fire and Air spells. While Shakespeare and Sherlock both have offensive spells, Neresa is decked out with the heavy duty Area of Effect shit.
Gaereoga is my Ranger, and my status effect defensive guy. He has Mute, Cure, and a bunch of other skills dedicated to either stopping or starting status problems.

anteevy

Isn't the Invisibility skill a bit OP? I can simply activate it and steal everything on a market at day time. I guess I'll stop using it - no fun in that. :(

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

There is no preset class trees in this game, classes at character creation only has definitions of what you start the game with (preset for equipment/skills/talents/spells). You can customize them if you like, but you would want to chose class first to define what equipment you want and everything else can be customized.

Edit: Beaten..

Moff

Isn't the Invisibility skill a bit OP? I can simply activate it and steal everything on a market at day time. I guess I'll stop using it - no fun in that. :(

yeah, they definitely failed balancing that spell properly. there us no excuse or reasonable way to explain that spell.

Thanks Durante, HP_Wuvcraft and RVinP. I'm almost at the point of getting it as soon as I get home from work.

And yes HP, I know what's good for me. :p I prefer mages, I'm just bothered by how nerfed they're usually made by arbitrary restrictions in games. Got Lichdom to kind of protest against it.

Spookie

I might have discovered the most useful crafting skill for casters: Blank skill book + Scroll of same element = THAT SKILL BOOK.

What's that pay 5k for a level 10 spell? Fuck no! :D

Levyne

Banned
I might have discovered the most useful crafting skill for casters: Blank skill book + Scroll of same element = THAT SKILL BOOK.

And two blank [element] scroll = blank [element] skill book.

However, using pixie dust on parchment seems to make a random element scroll, not sure if that's just how it is.

Monooboe

What's the longest current single-game playtime in this thread? Mine's just 12 hours or so, as it's all coop.

Steam says 29 hours but some of those hours are me leaving on the game while I eat dinner some stuff like that. I want to be able to just alt-tab into the game fast and whenever.:D

JMPerona

This game is sooooo good. The problem is my computer, and old Asus Republic of gamers with 1,5GB GTX 460M and 8gb ram. I can play at max 25fps the first 10 minutes and then the laptop overheats and the ftps go downt to only 7fps. Is it time to buy a new computer?? :(

Moff

jupp, thats definitely one of the most useful things you can craft.
and since crafting scrolls is random, you can pretty much exploit that with quickload and craft any spellbook you want, if your crafting skill is high enough.

aborath

Neo Member

I find that stealing in general breaks the game; at least for me it does. Had to re-roll my first save because my ill-gotten-gains were quickly becoming ridiculous. It's much more fun when I play it straight, i.e. not taking anything with a red icon unless it's needed for my investigation. So far I've been good. The only "theft" I've allowed myself were Esmeralda's smelly panties, because I wanted the +1 charisma and, you know... pant-su.

Zakalwe

Banned
This game is sooooo good. The problem is my computer, and old Asus Republic of gamers with 1,5GB GTX 460M and 8gb ram. I can play at max 25fps the first 10 minutes and then the laptop overheats and the ftps go downt to only 7fps. Is it time to buy a new computer?? :(

Yes.

You could try a cheap cooling plate in the meantime. My old XPS gaming laptop used to overheat, so I bought a cooling plate and a small desktop fan to point at it and it solved the issue.

I find that stealing in general breaks the game; at least for me it does. Had to re-roll my first save because my ill-gotten-gains were quickly becoming ridiculous. It's much more fun when I play it straight, i.e. not taking anything with a red icon unless it's needed for my investigation. So far I've been good. The only "theft" I've allowed myself were Esmeralda's smelly panties, because I wanted the +1 charisma and, you know... pant-su.

How did they break the game?

I steal every single thing I can, and I still need gold for arrows, skill books, scrolls, potions, etc...

Clean out the vents and buy a cooling mat. Should of had one already if you're an avid laptop gamer.

Monooboe

Aaaaah, game got a bit easier when I included a magic user into my party. Don't how I forgot the simple rule I've always had "At least one magic user!".XD

Zakalwe

Banned
Whetstones... how do they work exactly?

I have high enough blacksmith, I drag the item to the whetstone, it gives me the option to craft an upgraded weapon, I accept, the craft process happens, but the weapon doesn't change and no information appears.

elyetis

I have high enough blacksmith, I drag the item to the whetstone, it gives me the option to craft an upgraded weapon, I accept, the craft process happens, but the weapon doesn't change and no information appears.
Same problem with me. I'm guessing there is more to do, but can't find any info.

Klyka

Banned

Look closely at the weapon. It actually gains a bit of min and max damage

Spookie

Electrified water with a fireball on it turning in to a static cloud blinding the enemy archers. Seriously why can't more RPGs be this reactive and awesome. I've put in 35 hours so far and I've not enjoyed my self with a game in such a long time.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Electrified water with a fireball on it turning in to a static cloud blinding the enemy archers. Seriously why can't more RPGs be this reactive and awesome. I've put in 35 hours so far and I've not enjoyed my self with a game in such a long time.

There was a point when steam hurt enemies.

sueil

There is a resurrect skillbook you can buy for witchcraft but it is a level 16 spell. I'm still not there. Somehow I can't get a level 1 skillbook at all which I really want the witchcraft skill that increases damage. Just haven't seen any for sale anywhere.

Moff

yeah the stuff you can with magic is incredible in this game
you can control the battlefield with burning/freezing/poisoning/walling the ground, stun enemies with whole static clouds, teleport exploding barrels on enemie groups and you still have powerful AOE spells, tons of buffs and debuffs and can create elementals as tanks.
is there even a reason to not have 4 mages as a party? if I trie a hard run, that will certainly be my setup.

There is a resurrect skillbook you can buy for witchcraft but it is a level 16 spell. I'm still not there. Somehow I can't get a level 1 skillbook at all which I really want the witchcraft skill that increases damage. Just haven't seen any for sale anywhere.

really? thats odd, because I couldnt craft that skillbook. where did you find it? or which vendor?
the skill you are looking for is called desecration I believe, its quite common, if you relad a few times before the vendor in the inn in cyseal, you should get it easily.

Chaos17

Aaaaah, game got a bit easier when I included a magic user into my party. Don't how I forgot the simple rule I've always had "At least one magic user!".XD

That game just love mages~

Originally Posted by Moff

is there even a reason to not have 4 mages as a party?
Not really but you might find your team squishy unless all of your mages get an elemental pet to tank for them.

aborath

Neo Member
So I'm stuck. I've completed nearly all of the Cyceal quests that I know about, but can't progress the Councilor's murder quest. The last significant development was the mortician being arrested for being complicit in the murder, but when I go to the Legion HQ, he's not there. All of the suspects that I talk to (including Aureus) just give me old dialogue. According to a quest guide, Evelyn is supposed to go missing from the healer's house at some point, but she has yet to do so. Anyone know what I might've missed?

Edit: nevermind, unstuck.

Zeliard

Charm is amazing. Not only does it remove an enemy for a few turns, but it also adds an additional target for mobs to focus on, and if you charm the right enemy it can wreak havoc.

In one of the major boss fights I charmed one of the wizard enemies with a charming arrow, and after having laid down a puddle in a previous turn with one of my mages, the wizard used a lightning spell and stunned everybody including the boss. I wasn't expecting it and it was glorious.

One of the most devastating abilities I've seen so far when used properly.

You don't even need to blow the barrels up. I was playing co-op with a friend of mine, and while trying to set that very same thing up he moved the barrels too close to the boss and basically killed him by dropping the barrels on his head.

This is how I killed the
Orc boss near the beach, by throwing a barrel repeatedly on him, lol

Top Bottom