• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Tenck

I'm disappointed the Soundtrack didn't have every single track from the game. Guess this is the last time I buy a soundtrack from Larian.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I just discovered the biggest weakness of this game:

Coop is awesome so you want to play coop. Then your coop partner is not around all day and you can't play despite how awesome the game is.

I give this game an F MINUS for this reason.

I've solved this problem by doing a replay of Divine Divinity during the day while I wait.

I'm disappointed the Soundtrack didn't have every single track from the game. Guess this is the last time I buy a soundtrack from Larian.

I believe it has all the music that was composed specifically for D:OS. Kirill Pokrovsky (the composer) fell ill while working on D:OS's soundtrack, so they added a bunch of music from their previous Divinity games to help fill in the gaps. Those would be the missing songs.

Zeliard

Could anyone tell me how to get the "The mind is a terrible thing to test" achievement, I'm over 30 hours into the game and I feel like I've missed something early on.

It's the
encounter with that ghost in the Cyseal graveyard. He asks you to answer three specific questions from the Philosophy of Death, but the quest is bugged right now since that book is completely blank. You can still however complete it, provided the ghost hasn't left.

Tenck

I believe it has all the music that was composed specifically for D:OS. Kirill Pokrovsky (the composer) fell ill while working on D:OS's soundtrack, so they added a bunch of music from their previous Divinity games to help fill in the gaps. Those would be the missing songs.

Yeah I know that, but since it's in D:OS, I'd expect it to be in the OST for the game. I'm just not going to bother with another OST from Larian. Honestly wish I could get a refund, but since it's Steam, I'm out of luck.

I believe that's related to the ghost in the Cyseal graveyard (the one in town)

It's the
encounter with that ghost in the Cyseal graveyard. He asks you to answer three specific questions from the Philosophy of Death, but the quest is bugged right now since that book is completely blank. You can still however complete it, provided the ghost hasn't left.

Ahh thanks, never bothered to dig up all the graves, just the one.

BTW: this game is Amazing! best I've played in a long while.

Zukuu

Banned
I want a simple mod. Make the "Holy Grail" available for different colors and add them to a vendors inventory or create a new vendor. I use the holy grail to keep my stuff uni-colored. Yellow is kinda meh tho. I want black, red etc

Noaloha

Has anyone come across any instances where your party leader switches for no reason? I've had it happen a few times and wondered why I'm suddenly not talking to the NPC with the character who I've pumped with Charisma.

As an excuse to test my video capture settings, I uploaded a video showing what I mean. Contains minor early spoilers, sort of. Nothing major. Maybe don't watch if you don't have two 'pyramid' items yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5adAxwQZGOw
This seems to be replicable. I select Roderick, arrive in the new area after using the item and a dialogue starts. But Roderick is no longer selected, Scarlett is. (As an aside, I wish MSI Afterburner would capture mouse cursor, waah.)

It's happened a few times sporadically and I worry about it happening at later, more crucial spots. If I intend to pump Roderick's social stats up, it would be a shame to lose intimidate/charm attempts just because the game decides he's suddenly not the one initiating the conversation.

Danneee

I want a simple mod. Make the "Holy Grail" available for different colors and add them to a vendors inventory or create a new vendor. I use the holy grail to keep my stuff uni-colored. Yellow is kinda meh tho. I want black, red etc

I'm pretty sure I saw dyes at some vendor so you should be able to choose colors that way.

JLeack

Banned
I have no idea how to determine where to go next in this game. I've spent the last 3 hours running around doing what feels like nothing in Cyseal. I honestly haven't played a game that offers this poor of guidance in about 12 years.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I have no idea how to determine where to go next in this game. I've spent the last 3 hours running around doing what feels like nothing in Cyseal. I honestly haven't played a game that offers this poor of guidance in about 12 years.

Try reading your quest journal or paying attention when you talk to people.

Zeliard

Has anyone come across any instances where your party leader switches for no reason? I've had it happen a few times and wondered why I'm suddenly not talking to the NPC with the character who I've pumped with Charisma.

One oddity I've ran across a couple of times is that I'll pick the goody-two-shoes option with my party leader - whom I consistently pick the good option with - and in dialogue with the male protag afterwards she'll say something like "I didn't think I could be so heartless!" Buh?

I always go good with her and bad with the male protag, and she basically always wins the rock-paper-scissors since she has much higher charisma, but a couple times afterwards the game acted like she was the one who picked the bad option.

What you call "poor guidance" is what others would call a refreshing lack of hand-holding. The game's dialogue always tells you where you should be going, and the biggest story quests have a map marker attached to them, anyway.

Zakalwe

Banned
I've read each of my quests several times. How am I supposed to know where a body is in a massive town?

You look.

This game is about exploration, discovery, solving things. Not quest markers and GPS guidance.

Read books, talk to NPCs, search the environment. This is how you learn where to go, not by following a an arrow on the mini-map.

This is a very good thing.

Armaros

Teleportation and tactical retreat are reallyyy good with rogues and backstabbing.

Nothing like teleporting the enemy casters/archers into the perfect backstab positions.

Also tactical retreat from Expert Marksman is basiclly a self teleport power, i recommend any melee to get at least one point for that skill.

Zukuu

Banned
So this is someone from the hand-holding generation... :p

Post where you are in the murders quest at the moment and I'm sure we're able to point you somewhere. You just have to read your journal most of the time and be throughout when you search a relevant place.

Armaros

I've read each of my quests several times. How am I supposed to know where a body is in a massive town?

Also think logically
who would typically be the last person to deal with a body? He might know something about the murder, it also helps to complete related quests regarding the murder

OmegaDL50

Just because you need to rely on the journal and mark your own indicators on the map doesn't mean it's has poor guidance. The lack of hand holding or quest indicators is a design choice.

It's no different then Baldur's Gate or Ultima 7 in this regard. It encourages the player to experiment and and explore rather then the typical "Following floating compass arrow" that is persistent in most RPGs nowadays.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. The only things that have irked me are the random skill books in vendors and the fact all enemy archers have awesome arrows whilst I have none.

epmode

I think this can happen when NPCs initiate conversation with you instead of the other way around. Try to make sure that your Charisma person is closest to the NPC when the conversation fires.

Armaros

Hmm that's odd, i had one of my companions talk to a vendor and the vendors inventory changed, but it only happened once, can't seem to recreate it.

bounchfx

More inventory sorting options please. I know about the filters and the sorting methods but it could still really use Sort by Type combined with some kind of Highlight New Items option. Just using the different tabs doesn't work because crafters often have to find stuff outside of the Ingredients tab.

There's an anvil, a furnace and a whetstone wheel right behind the abandoned house in Cyseal. It's not hidden or anything.

Awesome, thank you!

one other question: Is there any way to separate the Quest chat from the random chatter in the chat box? I try to read along with my co op partner, but the text above their heads goes by WAY to fast to actually read, and when I try to read it in the chat box, it's filled mostly with spam from people nearby. :(

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm really enjoying the game so far. The only things that have irked me are the random skill books in vendors and the fact all enemy archers have awesome arrows whilst I have none.

If you go ranger, I recommend giving them crafting. Making arrows is much cheaper than buying them made.

How to make arrows:

Log + Axe = Branch
Branch + Knife = Arrow Shafts

Arrow head + potions = different types of Special arrow heads.

Special Arrow Head + Shaft = Special Arrow

I can craft most with 3 points in crafting. A few such as
Charm
and
Static Cloud
require more points.

Zeliard

You'll be able to craft a decent amount of elemental arrows as time goes on and you pick up and/or buy the proper ingredients.

Also, you should strongly consider getting the "Arrow Recovery" perk for your archer if you haven't. Having a chance at picking those special arrows back up after a fight is very helpful.

I just beat that
mad Brax king or whatever his name is. The thing is, I've only met one of the other bosses that join him. I know that poison boss is by the light house from the barrel stacking video.
I hope they are still there and I didn't screw myself out of some xp.

I haven't played RPG like this in ages and I'm a little rusty, to say the least, so I could use some advice - should I restart the game with some classes that I could enjoy more? I started my current playthrough with Witch and Ranger (6 hours in, still doing that murder investigation), since I read that you get Wizard and Warrior companions later in the game, and I'm not a big fan of their skills so far. Would it be better to start again with wizard and one other melee class, or would that be a bad idea since I'll get wizard companion later? Also - when will I get that wizard companion? During one of the main quests, or some of the side ones?

Zakalwe

Banned
You'll be able to craft a decent amount of elemental arrows as time goes on and you pick up and/or buy the proper ingredients.

Also, you should strongly consider getting the "Arrow Recovery" perk for your archer if you haven't. Having a chance at picking those special arrows back up after a fight is very helpful.

Honestly, you won't need that talent unless you averse to stealing and really short on funds. I'm level 9 and I'm swimming in special arrows.

The talent would be better spent elsewhere unless you're really struggling for gold/trading mats.

Shahadan

I just beat that
mad Brax king or whatever his name is. The thing is, I've only met one of the other bosses that join him. I know that poison boss is by the light house from the barrel stacking video.

They appear during the fight even if you defeated them outside, so I guess they're still there. Can't be sure though.

Levyne

Banned
I'm nearing the end of ACT 1 (or map 1..whatever) and I have a few quests that I'm pretty sure don't involve the second map that I have unfinished:

From the Cove area:
Headless Nick. I basically only know to look out for a severed head. Leads?

Talking Statues:
So this is like the first quest you get. I've read the diary, talked to the beggar who burned everything, and talked to the statues themselves. Not sure what else to do from here.
From the Mayor:
Tom the Wannabe adventurer. I saw some animals near Arhu's invention mention Tom but otherwise I'm not sure where to look.

Valkyra

Banned
So far I love the questing system, me and my co-op partner seem to get through with a little resistance but we make through. He's the intellectual type who loves to read everything and know the lore and I'm more of the street smarts type so if he can't solve it, breaking and entering and pick pocking solves the problems and the fact those two methods work make's this a joy.

Zeliard

Honestly, you won't need that talent unless you averse to stealing and really short on funds. I'm level 9 and I'm swimming in special arrows.

The talent would be better spent elsewhere unless you're really struggling for gold/trading mats.

It's a talent that would become less useful as the game goes on, for sure, but in the early going when the elemental arrows are relatively rare it can be nice to pick them back up since they have a massive impact in combat. Certain arrow types also seem notably less common than others, e.g. charming arrows.

aborath

Neo Member
So could someone clarify for me: at fifth level I still can't raise my primary weapon skills beyond level one. Do levels beyond the first cost more skill points? Should I be saving them?

Shahadan

Just post about what you have to currently do regarding the murder. Also there are hints everywhere. Just talk to the relevant people.

Zukuu

Banned
I'm nearing the end of ACT 1 (or map 1..whatever) and I have a few quests that I'm pretty sure don't involve the second map that I have unfinished:

From the Cove area:
Headless Nick. I basically only know to look out for a severed head. Leads?

Talking Statues:
So this is like the first quest you get. I've read the diary, talked to the beggar who burned everything, and talked to the statues themselves. Not sure what else to do from here.
From the Mayor:
Tom the Wannabe adventurer. I saw some animals near Arhu's invention mention Tom but otherwise I'm not sure where to look.

The head is in the town. He's an attraction there. Look for fancy tents. Involves another little quest.

The quest about the "invention from Ahru going ham" is directly connected to that. Tom is one of the dead bodies in the cave where you fight it.

Use the corresponding element on each of the statue and kill the demon that spawns respectively.

epmode

So could someone clarify for me: at fifth level I still can't raise my primary weapon skills beyond level one. Do levels beyond the first cost more skill points? Should I be saving them?

Level 2 skills cost 2 points, level 3 cost 3, etc.

Valkyra

Banned

Yes, if you are specializing and not hybridizing. You also start getting more points per level at higher levels.

I just beat that

I can confirm that those bosses you are concerned about are still in Cyseal. My situation is similar to yours; I had only defeated Ghoul-That-Guards-The-Lighthouse when I faced Braxxus. Even though you defeated the other two bosses in that fight, they can still be found in Cyseal. Check the fire fields northwest of the church.

Sarcasm

The quest of is great except for a few quests. The statue one is pretty bad lol and by luck I found a new useless clue.

Shahadan

Talking Statues:
]

But the statues tell you themselves what to do :lol:

Noaloha

I think this can happen when NPCs initiate conversation with you instead of the other way around. Try to make sure that your Charisma person is closest to the NPC when the conversation fires.
The NPC initiation thing sounds likely (and, worryingly, those occur a fair number of times!), but I don't know if it's a proximity thing. My Charisma/Perception person is always out front when exploring and it hasn't stopped Scarlett from jumping in from behind his shoulder. Then there's straight up weird scenarios like the bath one in the video. :p I tested with Scarlett in front and back - same result.

Top Bottom