• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Zakalwe

Banned
It's a talent that would become less useful as the game goes on, for sure, but in the early going when the elemental arrows are relatively rare it can be nice to pick them back up since they have a massive impact in combat. Certain arrow types also seem notably less common than others, e.g. charming arrows.

Sure, I just think you get to the point where you have tonnes of arrow is too soon after being able to spec the talent for it to a be a wise long term investment of the point.

EDIT: Actually, ignore me. I have the arrow talent! I either chose it at the start and forgot, or took it at some point without thinking. No wonder I have an entire bag full of special arrows... <.<

Noaloha

Hmm that's odd, i had one of my companions talk to a vendor and the vendors inventory changed, but it only happened once, can't seem to recreate it.
I suspect it works like this: Vendor goods change as you level up. Their items will be fixed once you talk to them and won't refresh again until you come back a higher level.

If you go ranger, I recommend giving them crafting. Making arrows is much cheaper than buying them made.

How to make arrows:

Log + Axe = Branch
Branch + Knife = Arrow Shafts

Arrow head + potions = different types of Special arrow heads.

Special Arrow Head + Shaft = Special Arrow

I can craft most with 3 points in crafting. A few such as
Charm
and
Static Cloud
require more points.

You'll be able to craft a decent amount of elemental arrows as time goes on and you pick up and/or buy the proper ingredients.

Also, you should strongly consider getting the "Arrow Recovery" perk for your archer if you haven't. Having a chance at picking those special arrows back up after a fight is very helpful.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Armaros

I suspect it works like this: Vendor goods change as you level up. Their items will be fixed once you talk to them and won't refresh again until you come back a higher level.

No, I had one of my main characters talk to the vendor and it had one set of items. And without leveling up or doing anything else, I had one of my companions talk to the vendor, and they had the usual "I'm not talking to you, go get your bosses", but when I went to barter, they had a new inventory to sell.

But it only happened once per vendor for that level/playthrough. I shall experiment and see if i can't get it to work again when I gain a level.

Almighty

Well I have to admit that this game has been blowing me away so far and I am very glad I backed it. Coop is fun which is something that I never thought I would say as I am a single player man through and through. On top of that the combat is actually challenging and encourages you to play around with it. I really think that this game shows the strength of a turn based system. This game is a GOTY contender so far. I would of posted in this thread earlier post release, but I really like going into a playing a game completely blind as to what is coming up next. So I tend to avoid these type of threads for games I am excited for until I beat them. In this case I am so impressed with the game I just had to say something.

One oddity I've ran across a couple of times is that I'll pick the goody-two-shoes option with my party leader - whom I consistently pick the good option with - and in dialogue with the male protag afterwards she'll say something like "I didn't think I could be so heartless!" Buh?

I always go good with her and bad with the male protag, and she basically always wins the rock-paper-scissors since she has much higher charisma, but a couple times afterwards the game acted like she was the one who picked the bad option.

I've had a similar thing happening with heartlessness, and all I can think is that the game is trying to keep track of your "personality" (the traits, basically) and its misfiring somehow.

I think they want it so that a very kind person would be called out for an out-of-character heartless remark. But then this doesn't really explain some of the choices you can make in the "called out for heartlessness" dialog either...

It isn't perfect, but it's such a cool concept having an open-ended personality for both player 1 and 2. It is highly original.

Edit: Almighty's comment just reminded me to say, thanks to everyone who backed this game! It's great, and, as someone who never Kickstarted it, I'm overjoyed to have a chance to play such a great game.

Thank you all for making this possible.

ZoddGutts

D:OS peaked today at 15,797. Will be interesting to see what number I'll peaked during the weekend. 20K peak number incoming on Sunday?

Zeliard

Sure, I just think you get to the point where you have tonnes of arrow is too soon after being able to spec the talent for it to a be a wise long term investment of the point.

EDIT: Actually, ignore me. I have the arrow talent! I either chose it at the start and forgot, or took it at some point without thinking. No wonder I have an entire bag full of special arrows... <.<

If you've been finding special arrows lying on the ground, that's where they come from. :p

I think they want it so that a very kind person would be called out for an out-of-character heartless remark.

Which would be totally fine if I did say or do some heartless thing!

Noaloha

one other question: Is there any way to separate the Quest chat from the random chatter in the chat box? I try to read along with my co op partner, but the text above their heads goes by WAY to fast to actually read, and when I try to read it in the chat box, it's filled mostly with spam from people nearby. :(
For the time being, follow the chat between your co-op partner and the NPC by bringing up the dialogue section in your journal - it updates in real time with both sides of the conversation and can be read from the other side of yhe game world. You miss out on seeing the dialogue options sadly, you'll only see the chosen response. It's the best option at the moment though. Happily, Larian are working on a patch to allow us to view the actual conversation UI of our co-op partner in real time. :)

Taruranto

Cleared
Evelyn's laboratory
, explored a bit of the outer areas, I need to find
the White Whitch.
I reached the church, probably going to check that next.

I also solved the
four statues "puzzle", thought I was going to find some old ancient evil instead I found... Bellegar? Uh, ok. He's still batshit insane, but he's not evil, I'm probably fine.

You're investigating a murder, do you want them to solve it for you?

... doesn't something like that happen in Oblivion lol? Ya know, with the GPS.

Eusis

One oddity I've ran across a couple of times is that I'll pick the goody-two-shoes option with my party leader - whom I consistently pick the good option with - and in dialogue with the male protag afterwards she'll say something like "I didn't think I could be so heartless!" Buh?

I always go good with her and bad with the male protag, and she basically always wins the rock-paper-scissors since she has much higher charisma, but a couple times afterwards the game acted like she was the one who picked the bad option.
I had similar happen when dealing with those two guards near the start of the game, where
I went ahead and had her decide to kill them for being a potential menace and the male protag argued against her. After battle I can choose to say whether they deserved to die or regret what happened, I went with the latter as her starting to feel she acted a bit too hastily and impulsive, and he basically went "but killing every so often is awesome! Feel that adranline rush!"
I guess it's just the inherent limitations of a permafrost conversation system that doesn't generally follow premade personalities, but still makes them sound kind of insane.

Armaros

Most games have 'important' hotspots marked. So basiclly 'go here, here and here for clues, now figure out the blatantly obvious connection between them and solve the crime'

Zakalwe

Banned
If you've been finding special arrows lying on the ground, that's where they come from. :p

Heh, yes... I was wondering why the game was being so generous.

xALV7Gp.png

I don't conserve them, either. I think either crafting or the talent would suffice really, I don't see how I'm going to use all of these when I have both.

bounchfx

For the time being, follow the chat between your co-op partner and the NPC by bringing up the dialogue section in your journal - it updates in real time with both sides of the conversation and can be read from the other side of yhe game world. You miss out on seeing the dialogue options sadly, you'll only see the chosen response. It's the best option at the moment though. Happily, Larian are working on a patch to allow us to view the actual conversation UI of our co-op partner in real time. :)

This is amazing! Thanks for the info. Will do the journal in the meantime and look forward to the upcoming patch.

That sort of game isn't really designed for organic exploration and discovery, at least for the quests. Some of the things you need to do in a quest chain require you to be all but a globetrotter, and then you enter big ol' Watery Dungeon Template 8 looking for, like, a key hidden in a chest at the very end of the level, which has a convenient secret door to the exit. Convenience is what those massive games are designed around, because anything else would be maddening.

DOS, on the other hand, is truly designed from the ground up for discovery and adventure, which is why the light directions and obscure objectives work so well for it.

Uthred

Really enjoying the game, mechanically its awesome, just wish the narrative wasnt so weak/average/non-compelling. Still more or less everything else about the game more than makes up for it (could possibly do with some QOL UI tweaks)

I'm pretty sure I've somehow broken the game for myself. My characters are all level 5, but the only things left to fight are large groups of enemies level 6-8, and I've explored each direction from Cyseal.

Although the wolves to the east don't seem too overpowered. I might give that another shot.

I'm strongly considering re-rolling, even though I've already put 13 hours into the game. It just feels like it would be a massive waste of time, when I already have 3 characters that aren't hamstrung by bad level-up decisions.

Making the girl a cleric was a bad move. She was really squishy, so I started giving her points in dexterity so she could deal damage while hanging back, but her hit rate is crap because she started with 5 dex.

DSN2K

they really need to sort the bag/loot organisation...its a mess. I want to be able to sort Armor by type and class yet the system isn't there for it at all.

FFXIV does this well.

Zukuu

Banned
Glass Cannon is kinda broken for me. I've jumped from 1.1k HP to 805 HP. That's only 28% off, which is NOTHING for +8AP per turn. I have 16(!) recovery AP now xD I can slaughter EVERYTHING with my melee. Add on top the damage buff and wildfire. Oh boy.

FrozenXcalibur

Neo Member
I also solved the
four statues "puzzle", thought I was going to find some old ancient evil instead I found... Bellegar? Uh, ok. He's still batshit insane, but he's not evil, I'm probably fine.

I thought I was fine too until my first random encounter with him where my whole party died...my first game wipe ever.
If he tells you not to move, do not fucking move.

NIN90

Late Cysael chapter question:
After defeating Braccus Rex, there's a chest with a blue magical lock. How do I open it?

Zukuu

Banned
Late Cysael chapter question:
After defeating Braccus Rex, there's a chest with a blue magical lock. How do I open it?
There is a spell that can unlock those. I've only found a scroll that can do it and I've only found a single scroll (dunno where). It has a 100% a legendary in it btw.

Zeliard

Really enjoying the game, mechanically its awesome, just wish the narrative wasnt so weak/average/non-compelling. Still more or less everything else about the game more than makes up for it (could possibly do with some QOL UI tweaks)

Yeah, the UI for the most part is great - especially in combat - but there are a few tweaks that would make it a nicer experience. More sorting options would be very welcome, as others have noted, especially for crafting.

A more intuitive way to handle party inventories, as well. After 20 hours I still occasionally switch to another character when an inventory is up expecting their inventory to come up as well, simply because that's how it works in nearly every other game of this sort. Presumably the lack of that is due to the co-op mechanic, but it's an annoyance when playing single-player.

Hitting escape also closes every window but doesn't close books, for some reason.

NIN90

There is a spell that can unlock those. I've only found a scroll that can do it and I've only found a single scroll (dunno where). It has a 100% a legendary in it btw.

There is a way to get back there once I transition to the next map, right?

Spookie

Found the buffalo 1 handed sword unique weapon. Well I found it's hilt, it's a nice reward for spending 7000 gold to buy the sword it self from the legion quartermaster. Boosted it to do 77-121 and 11-18 earth damage and it hits like a FUCKING TRUCK. :>

DSN2K

You look.

This game is about exploration, discovery, solving things. Not quest markers and GPS guidance.

Read books, talk to NPCs, search the environment. This is how you learn where to go, not by following a an arrow on the mini-map.

This is a very good thing.

lack of hand helping isn't justified considering the journal is far too basic, its a bunch of text with bullet points. What I found odd as well was for one of the quests somebody marked your map and I was like "really now after all that guess work before".

I get the charm of having to explore the world but its handicapped by the fact the only way to level is to following the liner quest lines.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Two questions before I purchase the Digital Collector's.

Does it include two copies of the DLC, Beyond Divinity, and Divine Divinity along with the two copies of the base game?

Is the 2nd copy just given as a gift game to send to my friend?

Zeliard

Two questions before I purchase the Digital Collector's.

Does it include two copies of the DLC, Beyond Divinity, and Divine Divinity along with the two copies of the base game?

Is the 2nd copy just given as a gift game to send to my friend?

Not the DLC, but everything else yes.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Not the DLC, but everything else yes.

Ok. Does the DLC add substance?

The only other way I'm seeing for my friend to get it is through the $10 source hunter pack that just includes all the collector's stuff.

Zukuu

Banned
I thought the DLC (trunks and grail) were made available for EVERYONE for free?
And no, if it's only those two items, they are not worth it by a long shot. Not even a single buck.

Zakalwe

Banned
lack of hand helping isn't justified considering the journal is far too basic, its a bunch of text with bullet points. What I found odd as well was for one of the quests somebody marked your map and I was like "really now after all that guess work before".

I get the charm of having to explore the world but its handicapped by the fact the only way to level is to following the liner quest lines.

That's not the only way to level.

The journal isn't the only source of information on active quests.

Sometimes places are marked on your map, like when you have to venture quite a way away to find the next part of the questline (the lab, for instance), but most of the time you need to actually delve into the world and pay attention to what you see.

Again: this game is all about exploration. The fun here is discovering things as they would be in the world, not because stuff gets highlighted on your HUD.

Dumb question: how does repair work? Is it separate from the blacksmithing skill?

Repair = Blacksmithing

Repair hammer + item
or Right click item when you have a repair hammer in your inventory

A more intuitive way to handle party inventories, as well. After 20 hours I still occasionally switch to another character when an inventory is up expecting their inventory to come up as well, simply because that's how it works in nearly every other game of this sort. Presumably the lack of that is due to the co-op mechanic, but it's an annoyance when playing single-player.

But then how would it work if you have multiple inventory windows open at once? I wouldn't really want to give that up since I use it all the time.

OmegaDL50

So If I recruit someone into my party, do I have the choice to kick them out later if I wanted to replace them.

My Roderick is a Sword and Board front line fighter, and Scarlett is my Fire / Earth focused Wizard.

I recruited Jahan to cover the Water and Air elements, Scarlett doesn't have, so I have all four elements at my disposal.

Now I am looking for a Ranger / Archer type as my 4th character but don't know where one is.

If I can temporarily recruit Madora and toss her later, cool I'll do that, but for now I have just the three (Roderick, Scarlett, and Jahan)

Or if anyone knows where I can get an Archer / Ranger guy right away, Pointing me in the right direction would be great.

hemtae

So If I recruit someone into my party, do I have the choice to kick them out later if I wanted to replace them.

My Roderick is a Sword and Board front line fighter, and Scarlett is my Fire / Earth focused Wizard.

I recruited Jahan to cover the Water and Air elements, Scarlett doesn't have, so I have all four elements at my disposal.

Now I am looking for a Ranger / Archer type as my 4th character but don't know where one is.

If I can temporarily recruit Madora and toss her later, cool I'll do that, but for now I have just the three (Roderick, Scarlett, and Jahan)

Or if anyone knows where I can get an Archer / Ranger guy right away, Pointing me in the right direction would be great.

I believe you can kick them out also one of the henchman is bound to be what you are looking for.

Zakalwe

Banned

You can dismiss them at any point by talking to them and asking them to sod off.

Henchmen are in the hall of heros in the homestead. Portal unlocks as you progress, not sure exactly when as I forgot to check back there for ages.

Top Bottom