• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Actually the lack o handholding does suck in some cases. I was trying to look for the
legionnaire after we defeated arhu's machine thing
and there was no indication where he was other than at the legion's area, which is a pretty big area.

OmegaDL50

I wish I could just use this mortal and pestle I have ground up some sort of blue flower and mix that with an empty potion flask to make Blue Dye.

I think brown is the default armor color, because I found both a Cloak for Scarlett and new Chest Plate for Roderick and both were boring brown.

I need better colors.

Actually the lack o handholding does suck in some cases. I was trying to look for the
and there was no indication where he was other than at the legion's area, which is a pretty big area.

I haven't found this yet either, any luck?

Zakalwe

Banned

It's not that big an area.

The game treats you like you are in the world. The entire point is that you have to pay attention to concersarions, little bits of information, piece stuff together, and search.

It's been specifically designed this way, but for anyone who really doesn't like that I'm sure modders will make some edits to suit you.

Yeah that's one of the few times I was like uhhh... more information please? They should've given the commander a line to tell you that he's
downstairs guarding the treasure room.

Antiwhippy

It's not that big an area.

The game treats you like you are in the world. The entire point is that you have to pay attention to little bits of information, piece stuff together, and search.

It's been specifically designed this way, but for anyone who really doesn't like that I'm sure modders will make some edits to suit you.

Problem is
when we first met him he was an ordinary guy. How was I suppose to know that they made him a legionnaire and how was I to know that he replaced one of the jailers in the cell, in the exact same position?

No indication given really, unless I missed it.

JLeack

Banned
I just broke into Evelyn's house and got the scroll. It's telling me to find her hidden lab... where is it? I mean, could it possibly be more vague?

Brussels

is there really a point to get max level of one school of magic, aside from being able to memorize more from the same school? Couldn't I get like 1 level in each school, and my mage could technically have access to 3 spells form each school. As I level up I could replace the weaker spells with more powerful spells of those schools.
I'm saying that very simply, of course I would probably level up another school as I'd want, say lot of fire spells, so I'd put more into Pyro. Or instead focus my skill points on other things, like defense / crafting / personality.

is there really a point to get max level of one school of magic, aside from being able to memorize more from the same school? Couldn't I get like 1 level in each school, and my mage could technically have access to 3 spells form each school. As I level up I could replace the weaker spells with more powerful spells of those schools.
I'm saying that very simply, of course I would probably level up another school as I'd want, say lot of fire spells, so I'd put more into Pyro. Or instead focus my skill points on other things, like defense / crafting / personality.

stronger spells cost more AP if you have a low rank in that skill.

Zakalwe

Banned
Problem is
when we first met him he was an ordinary guy. How was I suppose to know that they made him a legionnaire and how was I to know that he replaced one of the jailers in the cell, in the exact same position?

I thought it was mentioned he
was with the legion? O
r that he was headed there? I found him really quickly so I'm sure I had some piece of information that guided me to him.

Antiwhippy

Yeah. Northwest beach lair. Problem is all the monsters outside town are level 5, and I'm level 3 since I haven't entered combat in about 4 hours.

Time to do some combat then!

I thought it was mentioned he was with the legion? Or that he was headed there? I found him really quickly so I'm sure I had some piece of information that guided me to him.

I had a mention that
he was going to the legion to be treated, but I definitely didn't get one about him being a legionnaire.

Antiwhippy

Yep, that's it thanks!

And as
the Legion congregate in a small specific area of town with a single building,
that's plenty of information to find him.

like I said though, he took the place of a jailer I've seen before in the same position.

Acosta

Jesus, this game is time devouring.

Around 30 hours, Level 7
I just beat Evelyn in a epic battle
it´s fantastic how changing strategies can make a near impossible battle into something more bearable. You have so many options in battle that it´s almost overwhelming.

The game is a nightmare for people like me that are conservative using inventory, at the end I have to force myself to use stuff because you really must use scrolls and special arrows to make the synergies work. It has sucked not being able to have a single healing spell in this time, fortunately the resurrect scrolls are not too expensive and I have crafted enough food and potions to keep me on (barely in some occasions). Now I have a henchman I contracted in the Hall of Heroes that has a powerful healing spell, but I just can use once in battle. And I have finally found a water healing spell for my mage, so I hope it will be smoother from now on (at least I won't need to travel to the inn each time I need to heal my group).

Money is tight, especially when I want to buy some skills. I have refrained myself from stealing, but I have taken some paintings from abandoned houses and so that made some nice money with my discarded gear,

So far, my main priorities is finding someone with personality to replace the Hall of Heroes bot (I have Madora as the other companion, she is a bit annoying but pretty useful). My combo of Mage/Rogue for the main characters is working fine, backstabbing is awesome and my spider/fire elemental has been absolutely key to survive some battles.

Awesome game is awesome BTW, buy it now.

It doesn't have to close existing inventories, just open up new ones.

You can right-click on the portrait to do that. Maybe I'm missing your point...?

I agree with everything else though. Would love more sorting options. It's especially painful for crafting when things are in different categories and the "All" category is a disaster zone.

Zakalwe

Banned
like I said though, he took the place of a jailer I've seen before in the same position.

The area is small. There is a small amount of people to check.

This is how the game is. People will move around in between events and do things you wouldn't expect entirely, but there will always be a clue pointing to their location.

I think this is why the first mission is an investigation. Larian wanted to teach you to investigate to progress because that's how much of the game is set up.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I've read each of my quests several times. How am I supposed to know where a body is in a massive town?

Where do bodies go after a person dies? This is not that complicated.

This is the answer if it doesn't come to you:
Check the morgue or check the graveyard.Either will further the quest.

Antiwhippy

Gotta say though, some of the AI seems unable to deal with certain strategies.

with Evelyn, I placed a bunch of oil barrels around her and detonated them. She didn't summon anyone like she usually does and after a few turns tried to just run away as I chip away at her health. Seems like the AI for not going out to or summon anything on dangerous surfaces (seeing that she is surround by pools of fire) is overriding her usual behaviour.

Zukuu

Banned
Money is tight, especially when I want to buy some skills. I have refrained myself from stealing, but I have taken some paintings from abandoned houses

Haha. I've only stolen Paintings as well, like I'm an elaborate art thief. (well and I checked chests for some loot). xD I bet they fear me more than anything. No more paintings of pigs, women and men around!

Valkyra

Banned
Holy cow, pro tip:

If your resist pass the 100% mark the element HEAL you, pretty awesome to have a fire resist tank and just nuke the crap out of the area.

Sentenza

Couple questions. Wheres the best place to get lockpicks? Also, do enemies level up with you?
Hammering nine inch nails is the cheapest way.
"No" is the answer to the second question.

But I have yet to read the rest of the thread and I'm almost sure I'm late.

Chaos17

Yep, that's it thanks!

And as
the Legion congregate in a small specific area of town with a single building,
that's plenty of information to find him.

You're forgetting the Legion store house and camps.
In the journal all it said was, they've gone seen the Legion we should check how they're doing.

So no, not all information was clear and worst, that guy replaced an old NPC...

Zeliard

You can right-click on the portrait to do that. Maybe I'm missing your point...?

You can do everything with mouse-only. That doesn't mean keyboard shortcuts aren't quicker and more convenient.

The F1-F4 keys are used to switch between characters. If you have one inventory up and you switch to another character, their inventory should also pop up instead of adding an extra step. There's no reason you'd be switching to another character when you have an inventory up unless you want to look at their inventory as well.

What would also be beneficial is a quicker way to give items to other party members, instead of dragging things to their portrait/inventory individually or right-clicking on the item and using the "give to" option. If you have a bunch of crafting material you want to give to your dedicated crafter, you ideally want that to be speedier.

These aren't huge things, but they're quality-of-life stuff that would just make party management a bit less cumbersome.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/divinity-original-sin

Still only ONE review?! Wtf is wrong with the gaming press?

They basically got the game when we did. Do you want them to rush through it so they can get a review out early?

Sentenza

Actually they do. They get more HP and the level decides the hit chance penalty. Not sure if anything else changes tho.
I played the (first part of ) the game several times at this point and every time I cross the enemies, they were the same level regardless of mine, so I'm not sure of what you are referring to.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/divinity-original-sin

Still only ONE review?! Wtf is wrong with the gaming press?

Yeah, it's a huge so it's understandable. Still I think the game is so good they should write impression articles, like this one. I know I'm biased, but it's not like Larian have a huge marketing budget and people need to know how great this game is! lol

And seeing stuff like this makes me shake my head:
@EvolveTom said:
Prominent gaming YouTube network turned down some Divinity: Original Sin codes cuz it's not on their radar. So I'll give their codes away!

Good on them for giving the codes to fans but c'mon Prominent gaming YouTube network get your act together.

Chaos17

Yeah. Northwest beach lair. Problem is all the monsters outside town are level 5, and I'm level 3 since I haven't entered combat in about 4 hours.

Becareful, they're multiple gates that lead outside and the one that you should take is the was gate. Monsters will be of your level.

The south gate is kinda for higher level unless you want to struggle.
Not impossible to defeat those lvl 5 and 6 monsters but that was not pleasant for me and they're not related to Evelyn main quest.
Also the dunjeon you will discover with the ocs (south gate) have a quest that you can only find by doing the undead arc/Evelyn part (west gate).

Anyone else feel like they picked the wrong class?

I went Rogue/Battlemage, and the Battlemage is just not enjoyable.

I don't think I'm too far in Cyseal
going to check the hidden cave for the murder suspect.

Top Bottom