• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Few questions.

General: I'm at the point where I want to make new armor/weapons, but I don't want to lose the perks of my current stuff. What would be the best way to go about doing this?

Act 2:
Troll King Cave. Is it story related that I can't pass the area with the grey gold and the statue?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Anyone else feel like they picked the wrong class?

I went Rogue/Battlemage, and the Battlemage is just not enjoyable.

I don't think I'm too far in Cyseal
going to check the hidden cave for the murder suspect.

I have a battlemage, and I like her though she's kind of weird. Most of the time I'm just using her to stun or summon but close range can be somewhat useful if the situation comes up.

Toying with using her more for close range now that I have a
lightning skill that instantly teleports you to where the enemies are while damaging them.

Chaos17

Anyone else feel like they picked the wrong class?

I went Rogue/Battlemage, and the Battlemage is just not enjoyable.

I don't think I'm too far in Cyseal
going to check the hidden cave for the murder suspect.

Usually a battle mage is builded as warrior first then when he will be strong enough to not be too squishy people invest in INT. That's the same as paladin.

That's just an advice.

Taruranto

Man, path finding is so good. Finally a game where your party doesn't run into a trap you just discovered.

Anyway, looks like I completely missed the
Black Cove
until now, the orcs are a joke now after 5 levels of undeads, ah.

Also, for those who completed the
Church Battle,
does the game lock you out from Chapter 1 quests and battles? I still need to do the level 8+ optional bosses.

JLeack

Banned
Becareful, they're multiple gates that lead outside and the one that you should take is the was gate. Monsters will be of your level.

The south gate is kinda for higher level unless you want to struggle.
Not impossible to defeat those lvl 5 and 6 monsters but that was not pleasant for me and they're not related to Evelyn main quest.
Also the dunjeon you will discover with the ocs (south gate) have a quest that you can only find by doing the undead arc/Evelyn part (west gate).

TYVM. Things are going smoothly now!

Zeliard

Man, path finding is so good. Finally a game where your party doesn't run into a trap you just discovered.

The pathfinding is quite impressive. Not only will your characters dance around traps, but if you move the camera to the other side of a map and click a location, your characters will generally get there. Occasionally they'll be impeded by something, like if they have to go to a lower part of the environment, but more often than not they'll manage to navigate their way there.

Salsa

path finding is good but for me at least in one ocassion they did not avoid traps at all

I had to do a whole area just with Scarlett cause everyone kept stepping on everything

Gbraga

Why is it that the game always makes it so Crazy Diamond is the one responding when NPCs start the conversation? I want The World to be the protagonist :C

matmanx1

10 hours of playtime and only halfway through level 5 but slowly I am uncovering all of the map around Cyseal. By the level of the enemies I have run in to I can tell which way the game wants me to go.

My party of 2 Knights and 2 Enchanters is actually working out really well (the Enchanter I rolled is actually more of a straight mage, she has Water, Air and Fire skills and spells).

Sometimes I wish my 2 melee had more ranged punch in some of the fights with zombies (poison everywhere!) but I generally have enough healing and firepower to win through regardless. The only tough death I've had in 10 hours was a cheapshot at the
lighthouse battle with the Ghoul

This game is amazing.

Sarcasm

So yeah..where can I store stuff?

Also for my mage does the weapon damage matter? (Like does magic dmg scale off of it?)

Alric

Just restarted my game after the 2 characters I made were pretty much exactly the same as the 2 you recruit in game. On to part deux

Alastor3

My friend just gift me the game, i am so lucky.

Any advice starting the coop before the solo experience or it's the same thing?

Zukuu

Banned

Also for my mage does the weapon damage matter? (Like does magic dmg scale off of it?)
Anywhere in the world really. I stored my quest relevant stuff in a box on the market lol. You can even drag chests around to build a storing paradise. Otherwise, after you've unlocked the 2nd or 3rd room in your homestead. There is an infinite chest for each of your characters. Backpacks [just like your normal inventory] seems to be infinite as well (tho if you carry them, still count towards your weight limit).

And no, the weapon damage doesn't matter at all. I've been carrying my +2 int staff around for 10 hours at least.

Valkyra

Banned

If you have contrasting elements the game will be rough because water is overbearing and hurts melee damage heavily, if you have elements that work well together its much more fun but more limiting.

Just restarted my game after the 2 characters I made were pretty much exactly the same as the 2 you recruit in game. On to part deux

That's really not necessary. The game is entirely classless, and you can advance those two companions (as well as your own characters) however you see fit.

Also, later on in the game (perhaps in the middle of the first area), a wealth of henchmen will become available; by that point, you can make whatever party you want - and you'll have enough of an understanding of the game to choose properly.

Don't ever feel pressured into having a specific party composition.

You can store stuff wherever you want, though you will get a specific area for storing things at some point in the game.

Staff damage matters for your ranged staff spell, but nothing else I know of. You'll primarily want the staff you have because of the element it uses and the bonuses it gives. I've personally found directly damaging enemies with the staff as a last resort tactic, because the damage they deal is rather poor.

Edit

Lucky you!

Solo and co-op are the same game, the only difference is your co-op player will control some members of your party. You can set who controls what in the ESC menu.

One thing you might not know about co-op is this: everything is set by the host - you're playing in their game, and nothing is imported from another player's game. This means non-hosts cannot make their own characters unless they join during character creation, in which case they can make their own at the same time as you.

Also, if you begin a co-op game with someone, it's probably best if you only play that game while they're present - for consistency.

Divinity: Original Sin is fully designed for either co-op or solo play.

Sarcasm

How do I make this into a spell book (something perma)?

ijdoONmiTF1XO.png

Levyne

Banned
How do I make this into a spell book (something perma)?

ijdoONmiTF1XO.png

You need to get a blank book...which can be crafted from two blank scrolls...which can be crafted from pixiedust (bonedust+stardust) and parchment. As far as I know, the element of the scroll you make that way is always random.

Edit: Then you combine the book and scroll.

Zukuu

Banned
Fire doesn't work well with water, physical damage doesn't work well with frozen status. Just stuff like that can be a hindrance.
I don't think that was his question.

Frozen works perfectly fine. You don't use CC on the target you about to kill. ^_^ Water + Air seems to be the best option tho.

Fire doesn't work well with water, physical damage doesn't work well with frozen status. Just stuff like that can be a hindrance.

That's not necessarily true.

Fire and water create steam, which obscures vision and hinders ranged attackers. Steam clouds can also be electrified, I think?

And while frozen enemies have increased armour, they are defenseless, immobile, vulnerable to water(?) and take normal damage from all elements except fire. And, of course, where there's a frozen unit, there's ice - which (I think) slows enemies and can cause them to trip, which is a massive bonus for melee attackers. After all, tripped units cannot dodge or act - they're defenseless.

While they aren't perfect synergies, it is still perfectly usable.

Valkyra

Banned
call me noob but I don't understand that

I say water is overbearing or the bully element because the primer used in most synergies is rain. Rain covers the battlefield and changes it hindering fire and when pools of water form it hinders melee if you use electricity. Now if you mix water with ice now all physical damage is hindered because frozen status gain ALOT more armor and more fire resist on top of that.

Comparing that to what a fire and earth mage do when they go all out its more chaos in one area. The problem when aimed improperly is creating burning or poison areas (armor spells fix this with high resist) and dark smoke clouds which hinder all vision further than 1m to receive attacks or to make attacks. They can make a small area ugly where water takes over the battlefield.

PS: God I hate falling on ice, in and out of battle you can't move more than a few meters(walking basically) to not slip on ice.

Sarcasm

You need to get a blank book...which can be crafted from two blank scrolls...which can be crafted from pixiedust (bonedust+stardust) and parchment. As far as I know, the element of the scroll you make that way is always random.

And since the scroll is green..I need one of the green books?

HoosTrax

At 5 Crafting and Blacksmith right now, and crafting is looking pretty OP already. As in making weapons and armor that are on par with orange gear in term of base stats. The oranges still have more bonus attributes, but I have a feeling that at higher levels, crafted gear will be competitive in that regard as well.

Zukuu

Banned
At 5 Crafting and Blacksmith right now, and crafting is looking pretty OP already. As in making weapons and armor that are on par with orange gear in term of base stats. The oranges still have more bonus attributes, but I have a feeling that at higher levels, crafted gear will be competitive in that regard as well.
you can get Blacksmithing even higher than that with the talent and gear. I've been crafting BS +6 weapons for my melee the whole time and he's just wrecking things. Add an Element enchantment on top and you're set. Screw stats on a weapon, you want the damage. I find it stupid that you need crafting, rather than blacksmithing, to reinforce plate armor.

Levyne

Banned
How do you determine what kind of weapon to make? I dabbled in it a little bit but all I could seem to make were axes.

It's probably easy enough to figure out, just haven't had the luxury of being able to put any points into smithing for anyone. Maybe I can stack up some gear.

Zeliard

Fire and water create steam, which obscures vision and hinders ranged attackers. Steam clouds can also be electrified, I think?

They definitely can, and it can be of the most useful combinations in the game. Not only does the cloud obscure the enemies' vision, but when you electrify it it also has a chance of stunning them immediately, or stunning them when they try to move out of the cloud to find a better spot. Takes enemies out of combat for a few turns one way or another. Very nice against archers.

Ultimadrago

Question on online play: My friend and I have just decided to play and we are trying to wrap around the online system. Should they make their own single player game and I attempt to join with my single-player game afterwards?

When I try to start a single player adventure it still offers two players.

Gaz_RB

Question on online play: My friend and I have just decided to play and we are trying to wrap around the online system. If they're using another computer and game, should they make their own single player game and I make mine?

Make a multiplayer game and have him join during character creation. It's not by character, it's by game. Host gets the save files.

Question on online play: My friend and I have just decided to play and we are trying to wrap around the online system. If they're using another computer and game, should they make their own single player game and I make mine?

One of you host a game and begin creating a character. While still in character creation, get the other person to join the host's game. Then you can both create your own characters.

Note that the character they make will be bound to the host's game. This isn't like Diablo with characters hopping between games; instead, everything is strictly bound to the host's game, presumably to maintain game balance.

Top Bottom