• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

For as awesome as the combat system is, I wish you didn't shoot fireballs out of your crotch. It means you can't aim over a tiny little incline.

Annubis

All of them.

Each school has at least 1 summon. Earth has 3. Witchcraft has 2 (3?). You can only have 1 summon per character at a time.

Wait!? It's per CHARACTER ???!
I always read that "one summon maximum" as a hard limit between everyone.

This changes everything!

Nete

On my double Lone Wolf tactician game, trying to clear all the Cyseal map corners before moving to the next area, the "first"* encounter with the Twins Joined by Fire is driving me crazy.

Not the creature itself, as is pretty manageable with some stunts and freezes on it, but the goddamn giant totem that keeps resurrecting all the mobs and has a fuckton of HP. I just can't win that attrition war, even being on a higher level than them.

I guess I will need to pay a visit to the next map town, grab the new spells/abilities, and come back to kick their asses.

*Technically
you meet him there first, but I went to the cathedral and beat the boss (and the Twins on his retinue) first :p

Annubis

On my double Lone Wolf tactician game, trying to clear all the Cyseal map corners before moving to the next area, the "first"* encounter with the Twins Joined by Fire is driving me crazy.

Not the creature itself, as is pretty manageable with some stunts and freezes on it, but the goddamn giant totem that keeps resurrecting all the mobs and has a fuckton of HP. I just can't win that attrition war, even being on a higher level than them.

I guess I will need to pay a visit to the next map town, grab the new spells/abilities, and come back to kick their asses.

*Technically
you meet him there first, but I went to the cathedral and beat the boss (and the Twins on his retinue) first :p

Errrr.... kite enemies away from totem?

Lanrutcon

*Technically

Pull the enemies down to the road. Fight them and kill them there. Then move up to the totem away from the road and fight it.

Alternatively, use stealth to assassinate the totem before the fight. this is fairly convoluted.

Nete

Yeah, kitting them away is probably the best option, but wanted to do it "normally" for once. Too many cheese situations for now, you should have seen the fight against the map boss :p

Lanrutcon

Yeah, kitting them away is probably the best option, but wanted to do it "normally" for once. Too many cheese situations for now, you should have seen the fight against the map boss :p

I haven't fought a single boss legitimately in my Tactician play through. Not one. I'm level 9.

When I kill an enemy with fire, it leaves behind a pile of ash instead of a body. Does this mean I've destroyed any loot I might have gotten from the corpse or is it just a visual flair?

Sarcasm

I forgot what companions you can get before you get to that hall where you can buy them.

I remember a magic dude, some knight and something else? What do you suggest for a knight/wiz combo?

Finally get to play this game but I'm finding it tough! I can't beat the ghoul who guards the lighthouse, I must be doing something wrong since this is so early in the game (lvl 3). He is immune to everything, I can't burn him, freeze him, or poison him.

Is there a recommended party comp? My two PC's are a cleric and a pyro mage. In town I picked up the 2H fighter (other source hunter) and the air wizard from the library. I did ok on the normal fights and the double heals is nice... but this lighthouse boss is trashing me. The wolves are getting triple attacks, and the boss often gets a double and my guys just crumple.

Ourobolus

Banned
Finally get to play this game but I'm finding it tough! I can't beat the ghoul who guards the lighthouse, I must be doing something wrong since this is so early in the game (lvl 3). He is immune to everything, I can't burn him, freeze him, or poison him.

Is there a recommended party comp? My two PC's are a cleric and a pyro mage. In town I picked up the 2H fighter (other source hunter) and the air wizard from the library. I did ok on the normal fights and the double heals is nice... but this lighthouse boss is trashing me. The wolves are getting triple attacks, and the boss often gets a double and my guys just crumple.

There is an Elemental Immunity totem/thingy at the far end of the lighthouse that is preventing damage to him. You can hurt him with physical damage in the meantime, but if you want to do more you'll have to take out the thing causing the barrier.

Shoeless

I'm new to the game, coming to it via PS4, playing with my wife in local co-op and it's a blast, but there's one thing confusing the both of us.

Is there any point to putting points into sneaking?

Originally I thought that maybe dumping points into sneaking for thief/assassin characters would reduce its AP cost in combat or something, but even after dumping four points into it, it doesn't seem to do anything. So what is the actual benefit to adding points to this skill for the stealth classes?

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm new to the game, coming to it via PS4, playing with my wife in local co-op and it's a blast, but there's one thing confusing the both of us.

Is there any point to putting points into sneaking?

Originally I thought that maybe dumping points into sneaking for thief/assassin characters would reduce its AP cost in combat or something, but even after dumping four points into it, it doesn't seem to do anything. So what is the actual benefit to adding points to this skill for the stealth classes?

It used to be that way. Now the AP cost isn't reduced, it only reduces the enemies' cones of vision. Really not worth it, IMO.

Shoeless

It used to be that way. Now the AP cost isn't reduced, it only reduces the enemies' cones of vision. Really not worth it, IMO.

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like I'll just have to wait until we get to the point in the game where we unlock re-speccing to get those points back from poor Wolgraff...

Sanctuary

Fixed skills not being reset during character respec

Ooh. That's a sensible fix for sure, because it seemed silly before, and in the original game you lost skills when respeccing too. Keeping abilities/spells in skills you no longer knew was pretty exploity, but it's not like you could reliably cast them or with a decent cooldown reduction either.

Fixed popping left and right for compare tooltips

OMFG, so annoying. The biggest fix they need to implement is the goddamn camera zoom. It's probably the worst I've even seen in any game I've played in the last 30+ years, no exaggeration.

edit: Apparently this patch makes a few things worse, namely inventory management, which was already awful to begin with. Now, items that you pick up no longer automatically stack (like if you had a bunch of poision arrows in a backpack and crafted or picked up new poison arrows. They used to stack, now they are seperate stacks). Worse than that though is that most containers are being flagged as "non-visited" even if you've opened them before. I haven't tested it yet myself, but that makes it seem like you can no longer stash your super-sized warehouse full of crafting items nor your library of congress book stash.

For as awesome as the combat system is, I wish you didn't shoot fireballs out of your crotch. It means you can't aim over a tiny little incline.

Yep, Bows, Wands and many spells get royally screwed over by the geometry due to shooting from just above the knee. That makese zero sense.

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like I'll just have to wait until we get to the point in the game where we unlock re-speccing to get those points back from poor Wolgraff...

Only the main characters can respec, and I believe Jahan has a one time respec. That's why in general I don't recommend playing companions/henchmen rogues if you want to min max, as they're all pretty poorly built for combat and don't benefit from the 20% chance to hit on backstabs from one of the traits.

Fixing respecs makes sense, as a bunch of schools had multiple masters that worked without AP penalty at 4. My mage currently has 4witch 4pyro and 2 masters in each with no penalties. That saves 10 ability points which is obviously non negligible. Also since witch doesn't have a talent and pyro talent is meh, there was really no point in getting 5.

Nete

So guys what companions should I choose for a knight / wizard combo? Finally in a solo game.

*I* would go with the ranger (Bairdotr) and a second melee (Madora). Maybe switching Madora for a melee mage once you can hire henchmen, as she may be too similar to your knight.

skyhaven

Neo Member
So guys what companions should I choose for a knight / wizard combo? Finally in a solo game.

You probably skip Madora and grab the Scoundrel and probably have to choose between Jahan / Bairdotr.

I don't think a Scoundrel is necessary though so you may want to go for Jahan and Bairdotr instead.

lionpants

This game is starting to truly try my patience. This is coming from a guy who has platinum-ed every Souls game.

I should not have to spend 20 minutes restarting a fight hoping I don't get feared at the beginning to even stand a chance. Then I finally resist the fear and proceed to get CCed, 3 rounds of knock down, charmed, blinded, slowed. What even the fuck.

What the hell am I missing?

I am playing with two Lone Wolf characters, is it because I am missing all 4 characters? If that is the case, I will simply stop playing because I'd rather spork my eyes out than micro-manage 4 inventories on the PS4.

It seems that every non-trash fight I have to cheese the beginning by pre-buffing or pre-stunning before combat begins, it just seems broken. I am not underleveled, I am not under-geared.

I have never played an RPG that is so full of bullshit luck mechanics, it is infuriating.

PS: The current fight that is testing my controller chucking urges is the Pirate Boss in the Cove. I sometimes manage to charm him if I don't get feared, then I just get knocked down or blinded. I simply don't have the AP to CC them all. I could probably start the fight them lure them all through the doorway, but that is such a bullshit cheesey strategy.

Is there a master level witchcraft summon? The
Undead Decapitator summon
is good but I'm wondering if I should level up WC again to have multiple master spells. I'd love a better summon

My elementals used to be good but are getting slaughter in most fights now

Nete

I am playing with two Lone Wolf characters, is it because I am missing all 4 characters?

With double Lone Wolf you must cheese here and there, yep, usually on bosses or these named enemies. If it's Tactician mode, the cheese will be everywhere.

Is there a master level witchcraft summon? The
Undead Decapitator summon
is good but I'm wondering if I should level up WC again to have multiple master spells. I'd love a better summon

My elementals used to be good but are getting slaughter in most fights now

There's not. That's actually the summon with the highest damage output, and probably the best overall along the Earth Elemental. Fire and Ice are too situational.

I would level up WC tho. It has at least 2 top tier master spells.

epmode

I could probably start the fight them lure them all through the doorway, but that is such a bullshit cheesey strategy.

This game is explicitly designed to encourage crazy strategies and/or advantageous tactics like that. If they didn't want you to do it, the door would close when the fight starts or the enemies would have abilities preventing it. (I wonder if Tactician mode does anything to prevent it)

I can't talk about Lone Wolf strategies, though. Never been interested in that playstyle.

BTW, are you the same level as the enemies? I know you say you're not underleveled but I avoid attacking anything even one level higher than me.

I have never played an RPG that is so full of bullshit luck mechanics, it is infuriating

Can't say I found that to be the case. It sounds like you met a fight that is a hard counter to your party build.

lionpants

This game is explicitly designed to encourage crazy strategies and/or advantageous tactics like that. If they didn't want you to do it, the door would close when the fight starts or the enemies would have abilities preventing it. (I wonder if Tactician mode does anything to prevent it)

I can't talk about Lone Wolf strategies, though. Never been interested in that playstyle.

BTW, are you the same level as the enemies? I know you say you're not underleveled but I avoid attacking anything even one level higher than me.

Can't say I found that to be the case. It sounds like you met a fight that is a hard counter to your party build.
Ya, we're the same level. I'm currently restarting the fight over and over until both members don't get feared to attempt the door strategy. I have been doing this for almost an hour. Are there any spells/abilities to counter fear?

I really don't want to give up, but it is really starting to piss me off.

There's not. That's actually the summon with the highest damage output, and probably the best overall along the Earth Elemental. Fire and Ice are too situational.

I would level up WC tho. It has at least 2 top tier master spells.
I see, thanks. I'm rocking
poison slug
now but its pretty situational. I might pick up the rock summon

epmode

Are there any spells/abilities to counter fear?

Willpower lowers the chance of Fear affecting affecting your character. I avoid abilities like that until later but they're probably more useful for Lone Wolf characters.

Also, one of the character traits (Spiritual) grants immunity to fear but it's unlikely that you'll be able to find enough unactivated dialogue trees to have much of an effect now. This only works for your main characters. Not really a problem for Lone Wolf parties.

I don't remember the exact composition of the fight but it may be possible to trigger the fight with a single character and drag them back to a choke point. The pyramid things may be of use too. Remember, they work in combat situations. You can also lay down some oil slicks before the fight starts or set a trap with some explosive barrels

If you lone wolf, you definitely want to get the immune to fear and charm traits. It's annoying cause you have to do specific dialogue choices for them, but they're essential I'd say, especially since fear cannot be removed I believe. Charm you can use Purifying Fire I think, but fear is too strong.

Alternatively, but it's a really crappy alternative just for that, you can level leadership on both chars. Lvl5 leadership aura grants immunity to fear and a lot of other very strong buffs, I don't remember the details for 5 but 6 is +1willpower, +1body building, immunity to fear, +10 initiative, +15% chance to hit, +5% crit, +15% damage, +12 armor.

With lone wolf giving a bunch of points, it's probably worth getting to 3-4 on both chars and using a leadership helm on both and then the leadership trait or something of the sort. It's quite strong overall and unlike bodybuilding/willpower, it boosts damage a lot too, not just defenses and the initiative lets you start the fights which is pretty important without a full team.

You could hope to find some gear for it too, but it's kinda rare to find immunity gear(and downright impossible until you start finding purple gear) and I haven't seen fear/charm immunity on gear yet.

Sanctuary

So how do you create a mobile, mobile kitchen? Because the first time I actually tried to make one, it gave me a mobile kitchen in my inventory that I can cook or smelt ores with.

Every single other time however (different games), it just places a pot on a stand over a fire that cannot be removed. WTF?

Lanrutcon

I am playing with two Lone Wolf characters, is it because I am missing all 4 characters?

Yup. If you take less characters into battle, they are more valuable and you can't afford to be cc'd. So start buying Willpower and Bodybuilding early. Consider using buffs or consumables that raise those (food finally has a use!). There are talents and traits for immunities as well. Alternatively, cheese.

I'm thinking that maybe folks think Lone Wolf would be an easier way to play? :)

Teemo

Banned
I plan on picking this up as my free game from the gamestop deal. Few questions.

1) I enjoyed dark alliance/champions of norrath games on the ps2 and I enjoyed diablo 3, safe bet that I will also enjoy this game?
2) OP notes the game having a classless system. So I can be a warrior and halfway thru the game, I can decide to become a mage?
3) I read this game is hard?
4) I will be spending the majority of the time in split screen co-op, so the game plays great in split screen? Big text to read on the screen when it's split in half? Dips in framerate when there is alot of action on the screen?

Baalzebup

So how do you create a mobile, mobile kitchen? Because the first time I actually tried to make one, it gave me a mobile kitchen in my inventory that I can cook or smelt ores with.

Every single other time however (different games), it just places a pot on a stand over a fire that cannot be removed. WTF?

The mobile mobile kitchen is a bug they just never fixed since people like it being actually mobile. They end up in your inventory when the location where the new object would spawn to is just ever so slightly not suitable for spawning said object to said location.

So basically, you only get the actually mobile versions from a select few camp fires and even then, there seems to be a random factor to it.

I plan on picking this up as my free game from the gamestop deal. Few questions.

1) I enjoyed dark alliance/champions of norrath games on the ps2 and I enjoyed diablo 3, safe bet that I will also enjoy this game?
2) OP notes the game having a classless system. So I can be a warrior and halfway thru the game, I can decide to become a mage?
4) I will be spending the majority of the time in split screen co-op, so the game plays great in split screen? Big text to read on the screen when it's split in half? Dips in framerate when there is alot of action on the screen?

1) Please do note that all of those games are real time action, while Divinity OS is 100% turn based. Enjoying those games gives pretty much zero comparison to this game beside being high fantasy.
2) Yes, but hybrids have their drawbacks if you don't know what you're doing. They can be absolutely devastating as well, since some magic abilities complement melee characters pretty well.
3) This is highly case by case, dependent on your general ability for tactics, reading and learning the meta, how you adjust to the combat, use of environmental effects etc. There is a demand for player ability to be old school, how much depends on the difficulty you pick. The game will definitely not be your friend or try to hold you hand.
4) No idea, I go solo.

epmode

1. Those are realtime action games. This is a turn-based RPG. I think it's possibly the best turn-based RPG combat in a game but they're absolutely not the same.
2. Well, full respecs are available so you can do that. But a classless system means that you can mix and match skills to your heart's content. Just because you started as a priest doesn't mean that you can't take two-handed weapon skills.
3. It's certainly not an easy game on Classic but it's not too difficult either. The combat system is very open-ended so an otherwise difficult fight could become easy with a change in tactics.
4. The font size doesn't change, splitscreen or no. The font when using controllers is pretty big so I don't think you'll have trouble seeing it.

I've read that the console framerate during splitscreen is about the same as the regular mode. Larian spent a lot of time getting it right.

Lanrutcon

1. Whoa there. This is not an action rpg. Those are action rpgs. This is a turn based, proper talky questy puzzly rpg. Watch a video or something. This is not like Diablo!
2. That's not what classless means. There is no warrior, there is no mage. You can start a character who knows how to fight with swords really well and has warrior like skills, then halfway through the game start buying magic if you want. Classless means your character can learns kills from a variety of types, not limited by any initial label. If you don't want to mess with that jazz, then you can pick a premade character.
3. Game has an explorer (easy) mode.
4. No idea. Someone else can field this one.

Sanctuary

Should I be saving diamonds, malachite and glass rubies for anything? I read that rubies could be added to gear for resists, but is it "ruby" or "glass ruby"? Because I tried adding the glass variant with level 5 crafters and it never did anything.

2. That's not what classless means. There is no warrior, there is no mage. You can start a character who knows how to fight with swords really well and has warrior like skills, then halfway through the game start buying magic if you want. Classless means your character can learns kills from a variety of types, not limited by any initial label. If you don't want to mess with that jazz, then you can pick a premade character.

He's kind of correct though, although he'd just end up as a hybrid.

Lanrutcon

Should I be saving diamonds, malachite and glass rubies for anything? I read that rubies could be added to gear for resists, but is it "ruby" or "glass ruby"? Because I tried adding the glass variant with level 5 crafters and it never did anything.

Diamonds and Malachite are for selling. Save your rubies for enhancing certain pieces of armor. Could swear I applied a glass ruby to some bracers and got res all.

Sanctuary

Diamonds and Malachite are for selling. Save your rubies for enhancing certain pieces of armor. Could swear I applied a glass ruby to some bracers and got res all.

Ah, maybe I didn't try bracers. I did try helmet, boots and chest. What I read though was that those worked on multiple types of gear, not just gloves. Maybe they changed it, or it can't be gear that already has resists?

Ah, maybe I didn't try bracers. I did try helmet, boots and chest. What I read though was that those worked on multiple types of gear, not just gloves. Maybe they changed it, or it can't be gear that already has resists?

Yeah pretty sure it can't have resists already but haven't checked cause I already have a ton so I didn't bother grabbing the rubies out of my chest to craft. You could sell them and buy them back later if you need the money, but it's pretty crappy money past very early game though for glass rubies.

Baalzebup

I had 4 glass rubies in 3 different stacks and I *just* tested them out to my armors. One robe, one leather, one metal and one helmet. Each and every one gave + % elemental resistances to said piece of armor.

So yeah, the glass ruby versions do definitely work as well.

Top Bottom