• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

I didn't ask how to get into the room or to the switch.
I must have been able to use the teleporter in the first place, if I knew there was a chest in the room after you use it. Even tried having someone stay on the outside to use the switch while the rest were in the room after the teleporter.

There's a switch? I don't remember one. Only thing in there is the chest, teleport it out of the room so you can open it.

As for your other problem, not too sure exactly, once you get past the barrier you just go past that room with a bunch of traps, hit the switch to turn them off so your team follow and loot the treasure room. I don't remember a door or something special about it. Maybe the sentinels are aggro and it prevents stuff from working?

Am I kinda screwed by turning down Brandon's quest a long time ago? I found a book to use
Tenebrium
, but it's a one use item? I looked up some stuff after getting that book, and it seems like I can't get the quest again after that.

Xeteh

I like this game but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think it does a lot really well but things like giving you a clear idea of where you can go is something it lacks. Luculla Forest is terrible, fight a bunch of level 13 goblins and end up in a cave with level 16 mobs. I don't really enjoy working my way through several fights only to find out I'm not ready to handle what is at the end. The way the quests are laid out frustrate me too. Maybe I'm missing something but I constantly find myself being stuck on a quest only to find out that I needed something from another side quest to progress. This might be on me, I'm not a fan of the writing so I find myself skimming through things as fast as I can and I have missed things but man, I don't know. I like the combat but I'm not sold on some of the things around it.

Overall I do really like the game but... some aspects are kind of pushing me away from it. I do need to play Pillars, I keep hearing really good things about it and I hope it hits a nice sale over the next month.

Sanctuary

There's a switch? I don't remember one. Only thing in there is the chest, teleport it out of the room so you can open it.

As for your other problem, not too sure exactly, once you get past the barrier you just go past that room with a bunch of traps, hit the switch to turn them off so your team follow and loot the treasure room. I don't remember a door or something special about it. Maybe the sentinels are aggro and it prevents stuff from working?

Didn't know you could teleport objects through gates. As for the path to the treasure room, there's an additional static field where the switch to "shut off the traps" is located that's NOT in the video I watched on how to do this area, after already doing what it suggested in the first place. The video also shows lava dropping from above, making small puddles on the sides of the path that don't exist in my game either. Also, the switch doesn't do anything. You hear a click, but the sentinels are still activate, and the door still remains locked. I even have the Royal Guard Amulet on and...nothing.

Seriously seems like a major bug. Scarlett even mentions "a strange sort of pit, there must be a way to disarm it". Well, the supposed way to do that doesn't actually do anything at all for me.

Room is the same layout, but there is no longer lava falling from above. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8OYAt7GbpI
Hitting the switch doesn't do anything either (which is also conveniently covered by a static field now)
Never do they say anything about the sentinels deactivating when using that switch.

Didn't know you could teleport objects through gates. As for the path to the treasure room, there's an additional static field where the switch to "shut off the traps" is located that's NOT in the video I watched on how to do this area, after already doing what it suggested in the first place. The video also shows lava dropping from above, making small puddles on the sides of the path that don't exist in my game either. Also, the switch doesn't do anything. You hear a click, but the sentinels are still activate, and the door still remains locked. I even have the Royal Guard Amulet on and...nothing.

Seriously seems like a major bug. Scarlett even mentions "a strange sort of pit, there must be a way to disarm it". Well, the supposed way to do that doesn't actually do anything at all for me.

It's possible it's bugged yeah, got any save from before you got there? I mean it'd be worth redoing the boss and stuff to fix it. Also a screenshot?

I like this game but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think it does a lot really well but things like giving you a clear idea of where you can go is something it lacks. Luculla Forest is terrible, fight a bunch of level 13 goblins and end up in a cave with level 16 mobs. I don't really enjoy working my way through several fights only to find out I'm not ready to handle what is at the end. The way the quests are laid out frustrate me too. Maybe I'm missing something but I constantly find myself being stuck on a quest only to find out that I needed something from another side quest to progress. This might be on me, I'm not a fan of the writing so I find myself skimming through things as fast as I can and I have missed things but man, I don't know. I like the combat but I'm not sold on some of the things around it.

Overall I do really like the game but... some aspects are kind of pushing me away from it. I do need to play Pillars, I keep hearing really good things about it and I hope it hits a nice sale over the next month.

They tried to fix that by adding several story elements to guide you a bit better. You pretty much want to follow the main story and explore areas adjacent to that. In the forest when you first enter, Ahru directs you to
find the white witch
and that's the level appropriate content when you enter. If you instead explore the zone, you run into much higher areas. Once you're done with that, the NPCs will hint at what's next. Basically if you see monsters higher level than you, you're not in the right place. Not that you can't clear them, but it means you missed something.

Sidequests being linked to others is definitely annoying though. The best way is to clear everything and THEN see if you have sidequests left, because otherwise you'll get confused on how to complete something that you're not supposed to complete at that point in time yet. Hell some quests solutions aren't even in the same zones they start in.

Sanctuary

It's possible it's bugged yeah, got any save from before you got there? I mean it'd be worth redoing the boss and stuff to fix it. Also a screenshot?

Well, after your tip about
teleporting objects through barriers, I just decided to see if I could teleport someone through the gate at the end of the room and it worked!

Absolutely no idea how you would do that without teleport though. Yeah, I do have older saves, but it wouldn't have been worth losing hours of playtime, on top of the time already wasted trying to get into that room in the first place.

skyhaven

Neo Member
I wouldn't blame people for stopping once they finished Cyseal Zone. I found myself losing interest once I unlocked the summon-fest at lvl 9. Ending the first round with 4 pets out is almost a guaranteed win even in Tactical mode.

Baalzebup

I wouldn't blame people for stopping once they finished Cyseal Zone. I found myself losing interest once I unlocked the summon-fest at lvl 9. Ending the first round with 4 pets out is almost a guaranteed win even in Tactical mode.

It's almost like there are multiple approaches to the combat scenarios, some of which are more fun, challenging or engaging than others. 'tis a mystery, innit.

Yes, it may be players to blame for seeking the 'best approach' but it's nothing new from Vanilla. People used summons because they're risk-free and takes/deals damage. I'd like to see Larian counter this with a bit more thought like Conjuring Elemental Weapons/Armors instead of outright 'here's an ally with element X'.

I've done the Barrel trick before and feel Larian can't fix it. It's just 'non-standard player behavior' but the summon clearly isn't. It's accessible and straightforward, the barrier being just a level requirement and availability of the spell book. They could've addressed it better.

Granted. I guess trying to balance and adjust the game with this many possibilities for improvised fuckery just isn't easy. They have added some really refreshing enemy tactics like Pontius' teleport abuse, but you can still easily find multiple ways of destroying most encounters. The thing about countering summons is that it would likely swing far too much to the other side, making them more or less useless.

The overall capacity between players' ability to read and use/exploit the meta or improvising with the environment and the objects has a crazy gap between the worst and the best. I mean, we have people here who have great difficulties even with the easiest difficulty setting and then we have those who just prance about and effortlessly beat Tactician. Coming up with an appropriate level AI / scripting for each difficulty seem like a crazy hard task, especially if you want to keep many different approaches still viable.

skyhaven

Neo Member
It's almost like there are multiple approaches to the combat scenarios, some of which are more fun, challenging or engaging than others. 'tis a mystery, innit.

Yes, it may be players to blame for seeking the 'best approach' but it's nothing new from Vanilla. People used summons because they're risk-free and takes/deals damage. I'd like to see Larian counter this with a bit more thought like Conjuring Elemental Weapons/Armors instead of outright 'here's an ally with element X'.

I've done the Barrel trick before and feel Larian can't fix it. It's just 'non-standard player behavior' but the summon clearly isn't. It's accessible and straightforward, the barrier being just a level requirement and availability of the spell book. They could've addressed it better.

Sanctuary

/snicker

The only time I started really to feel burnout was between level 9 - 15, but only with my two casters. The Ranger still felt fresh for some reason, even though she had only learned really two new skills in a very long time. Maybe because some of the skills just give me Diablo 2 flashbacks or something. Madora is just "kind of there", not really mattering for the longest time too.

Caster balance in this game is really weird, or I simply got unlucky. I wouldn't say they are "bad" in the sense of power, but they are in regards to meaningful and FUN variety. At the earliest levels you use stuff like Teleport, Flare, Boulder Bash, Wildfire and Oath essentially every fight, and then just wand everything. Later you might get Fireball, Poison Dart and Ice Wall.

The vast majority of spells (especially Witchcraft) are super situational or pretty much never needed at all on Normal during the low to mid levels. Jahan's most used spells were rain and regenerate. Things might be slightly different on Tactictian in that regard, but I doubt it would change that much. So you start out kind of strong, but then you get stuck with the same spells for so long, that it's hard to not get burnt out on the playstyle prior to level 15. Yet, once you hit level 15, all of these spells that you survived the entire time without suddenly open up and simultaneously excite and then quickly make the combat boring again due to them trivializing most encounters. Playing a caster just feels so wildly inconsistent. It doesn't help either when you keep accidentally stunning your own party because your air wand hit someone on top of a large blood pool...

That's not even counting pets, which anyone with a single point in Geomancer can cast. I refused to have a four pet group though, and actually only added one on Jahan that was "free" because he had nothing more useful to do most encounters.

Burt

/snicker

The only time I started really to feel burnout was between level 9 - 15, but only with my two casters. The Ranger still felt fresh for some reason, even though she had only learned really two new skills in a very long time. Maybe because some of the skills just give me Diablo 2 flashbacks or something. Madora is just "kind of there", not really mattering for the longest time too.

Caster balance in this game is really weird, or I simply got unlucky. I wouldn't say they are "bad" in the sense of power, but they are in regards to meaningful and FUN variety. At the earliest levels you use stuff like Teleport, Flare, Boulder Bash, Wildfire and Oath essentially every fight, and then just wand everything. Later you might get Fireball, Poison Dart and Ice Wall.

The vast majority of spells (especially Witchcraft) are super situational or pretty much never needed at all on Normal during the low to mid levels. Things might be slightly different on Tactictian in that regard, but I doubt it would change that much. So you start out kind of strong, but then you get stuck with the same spells for so long, that it's hard to not get burnt out on the playstyle prior to level 15. Yet, once you hit level 15, all of these spells that you survived the entire time without suddenly open up and simultaneously excite and then quickly make the combat boring again due to them trivializing most encounters. Playing a caster just feels so wildly inconsistent. It doesn't help either when you keep accidentally stunning your own party because your air wand hit someone on top of a large blood pool...

That's not even counting pets, which anyone with a single point in Geomancer can cast. I refused to have a four pet group though, and actually only added one on Jahan that was "free" because he had nothing more useful to do most encounters.

Do the right thing.

30 hours in? Pshhh.

Bail and git that tactician restart going

Nyx

So, it took me awhile to find out I need to 'throw' an item on something I want to use it on.

the 2 pendants in the twin dungeons

Sanctuary

Do the right thing.

30 hours in? Pshhh.

Bail and git that tactician restart going

I'm probably 80% of the way through my first playthrough, so I kind of want to finish before restarting. I do want to play a Warrior/Rogue/Ranger/Caster group though. Downside is that Jahan is going to be my only caster, and I'm seriously contenplating having him go four schools due to my previous experience with two casters (due to cooldowns, barely anything useful was cast, and I'd just be casting "whatever" because it was better than wanding).

I wish he didn't start out as Hydro/Aero. Just ugh.

I'm also going to need him to be my blacksmith, which will cut into his ability to spread out even more.

shmoglish

So, it took me awhile to find out I need to 'throw' an item on something I want to use it on.

the 2 pendants in the twin dungeons

This was bullshit

Pressing x didn`t work, so I gave the item to my char (Hold). The explanation was "to put things in/on other things". I had no Idea what was wrong....Throwing it was the last thing I did, almost gave up.

Lanrutcon

I'm probably 80% of the way through my first playthrough, so I kind of want to finish before restarting. I do want to play a Warrior/Rogue/Ranger/Caster group though. Downside is that Jahan is going to be my only caster, and I'm seriously contenplating having him go four schools due to my previous experience with two casters (due to cooldowns, barely anything useful was cast, and I'd just be casting "whatever" because it was better than wanding).

I wish he didn't start out as Hydro/Aero. Just ugh.

I'm also going to need him to be my blacksmith, which will cut into his ability to spread out even more.

Roll a custom mage and a custom rogue. Then recruit Bearrrrrdaughter and Redneckwarriorlady. You get the party you wanted, and all is well. Jahan takes forever to 'fix' into an ideal mage, especially if he's going to be your only one.

Use Jahan as your crafting/smithing bot. Just recruit him, send him to the hall of heroes, pull him out again when you need to craft. I know this works (even though I don't do it because it sounds like a lot of bother).

Edit: My tactician party is now level 6 having done the tutorial dungeon, the guards and the beach fight. Mwhuhahahaha.

Durante

So Ive just played and beat Divinity Dragon Commander some days ago.
I freaking loved that game, specially the writting and characters (the RTS parts where a little repetiive, but not bad at all).

Does Original Sin have similar writting and charismatic characters? And what about dialogue choices? I suppose it has less comedy than Dragon Commander (as this one was super full, although they were lots of meningfull choices also), but a full RPG in that writting style with charismatic charaters would be amazing.

I know everyone like to praise this game, but now that I have a sample of what larian can do, I would love to know if they are similar in some aspects.
The writing and characters in Original Sin are not as good as in Dragon Commander IMHO. That's also a pretty high bar to set though. It's still humorous and in an irreverent style, just not as memorable to me.

(More people should play Dragon Commander. It's a very unique game)

vocab

The writing and characters in Original Sin are not as good as in Dragon Commander IMHO. That's also a pretty high bar to set though. It's still humorous and in an irreverent style, just not as memorable to me.

(More people should play Dragon Commander. It's a very unique game)

I like Dragon Commander, I just found it to be kind of tedious. I get wrapped up in the RTS shit, and realize it's not as good as it could of been, and a lot of it's out your control. Sometimes I get massively outnumbered for no reason. Everything else is great though. I should give a go again, and actually play the rest of the game.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a little confused about books and texts in this game. When does it matter who reads a book and when doesn't it matter? Like, do crafting recipes carry over to other characters? What about skill books? What books/documents do I need to keep? And is there really no sign at all to see if you've read a book already or not? I got so many now that it's getting pretty confusing.

Impulsor

To people who played both this and Pillars of Eternity.

Just out of curiosity, which one did you enjoy more. Specially, when it comes to Combat and Story.

Shinjica

To people who played both this and Pillars of Eternity.

Just out of curiosity, which one did you enjoy more. Specially, when it comes to Combat and Story.

For Story, easily Pillar. For gameplay are both fun in my opinion. Divinity has some skill that make combat fun if you exploit the mechanics

danowat

Banned
20hrs in, and I am still in Cyseal, either I am completely crap at games, or people must be really skilled to blast through this in 40hrs

skyhaven

Neo Member
Don't feel too bad about that, I took around 20 hours to finish Cyseal cause I wanted to do all quest and browse every vendor at level up. I think it was worse when I played Vanilla Co-Op back then, we always lose momentum past Cyseal. Just couldn't re-engage ourselves.

Mudo

Don't feel too bad about that, I took around 20 hours to finish Cyseal cause I wanted to do all quest and browse every vendor at level up. I think it was worse when I played Vanilla Co-Op back then, we always lose momentum past Cyseal. Just couldn't re-engage ourselves.

On this note - does anyone know if they changed the way vendors work? Used to be you had to make sure to visit on every level up as spells were randomly stocked and you had to reload to get what you wanted. Please tell me this has changed!

Also seems that chests can't be save scummed now. I reloaded a couple times at one in Cyseal and it had identical contents every time. I guess this is...sort of sad but at the same time liberating as 80% of my playtime won't be reloading to try and get something amazing lol.

Am I kinda screwed by turning down Brandon's quest a long time ago? I found a book to use
Tenebrium
, but it's a one use item? I looked up some stuff after getting that book, and it seems like I can't get the quest again after that.

Just bumping this because a patch was released today, and now all my characters have the ability. It's not listed in the fixes...pretty sure I'm not losing my mind. Seems useless to me now anyway after all that, since I didn't know you needed a high level in it to even craft items. I planned on having the 1 point on my crafter, while upping it on my Knight to use the weapons. Bah.

Version 2.0.99.676:

on pickup: do not stack items automatically inside a container in your inventory
fixed disarm toolkit being destroyed on cancelling disarm
fixed Victoria's book: Forgotten Language of Faery not always generating correctly
fixed summon spells or other tasks being cancelled during casting due to tutorial pop-up
henchman UI : added class icon
Fixed minor issues with crafting
Fixed problem with holding button to craft on high FPS
Fixed henchman UI disappearing on controller layout
Fixed henchman base stats
Fixed camera issue with play at the fair in Cyseal
Honour mode now correctly deletes savegame on game over
Fixed skills not being reset during character respec
Stat and ability point compendiums no longer disappear from vendor
Fixed not being able to right-click in sneak mode
Fixed some containers not opening
Fixed issue with skillbook requirements when you already have this skill from wand
Fixed button hint position of containers when opening from active search or inventory
Fixed popping left and right for compare tooltips
Fixed zoom being blocked when chatlog is pinned
Fixed pickpocket only working once when stealing nothing
Fixed issues with tutorials in split-screen
While in controller mode and pressing alt-f4, allow keyboard and mouse input
Fixed crash when dragging and picking up items at the same time
Fixed black screen issue when switching active character right before loading other region
Fixed camera focus issue on void dragon

BeeDog

Fuck, I guess I should respec one of my characters before the patch hits PS4. I do hope they fix the inventory/shopkeep screen though; in the PS4 version, if you switch tabs while you have highlighted an item further below, you get an unresponsive cursor on the other tabs.

Ploid 3.0

I just updated on pc. This really sucks :(

Fixed skills not being reset during character respec

I never got close to finding a respec. Though since this EE version I restarted about 4 times because respec is so far away. I thought about using cheat engine to respec but that thing looks way too complicated. Why do they hate respec so much?

If I plan to use Madora as a tank on tactician difficulty, should I keep her a two-handed user or relinquish those two skillpoints and make her a one-handed + shield character?

Leezard

If I plan to use Madora as a tank on tactician difficulty, should I keep her a two-handed user or relinquish those two skillpoints and make her a one-handed + shield character?

While I haven't gotten very far yet, I found it useful to use one-handed + shield (without spending skill points on those two) in the beginning but switch to two-handed at level 8-9 or so once the character gets tanky enough.

So far from what I've seen, I'd say 2H is fine. Shield does add a large amount of avoidance but it's not vital, control is a better mitigation than anything else. As long as you knockdown everything/freeze/charm/stun/whatever with your other chars, you don't really need a "tank" that much, and you can throw summons at stuff if needed.

danowat

Banned
Is Wolfgraff a poor companion, or am I using him wrong?.

He is always the first one to go down, his backstab move can be quite hard to get into position for, and his other attacks aren't that strong.

Lanrutcon

He is always the first one to go down, his backstab move can be quite hard to get into position for, and his other attacks aren't that strong.

Use him as a grenadier until he has some skill levels and proper gear.

Xeilyn

I thought he was quite bad at first aswell but i gave him aerotheurge 1 to flesh out his kit a bit in the beginning. Teleportation and bitter cold for some utility and thunder jump to get behind enemies. I got him at lvl 10 now and he does a ton of damage, one shots stuff if i use oath of desecration

Lanrutcon

Buy or craft?

If buy from whom? If craft, any easy to procure recipes?

There are 2 easy to craft grenades which should be your mainstay early game:

Empty Potion Bottle + Ooze Barrel = Poison Bottle
Poison Bottle + Empty Grenade = Toxic Grenade

Empty Bottle + Oil Barrel = Oil Filled Bottle
Oil Filled Bottle + Fuse = Molotov

Empty Bottles are all over the place (there are about 30 odd just in the first town). Empty Potion Bottles and Fuses can be bought from almost every vendor. Fuses can be made with rope + rope as well. And then the barrels are just lying around, and not used up in the recipe.

Make 50 odd of each. Give them to the Scoundrel. Have him blow shit up for the first 8 odd levels.

Top Bottom