• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

iavi

It's an understatement how much a solid 60fps helps this game. From the 60fps videos that were floating around, it almost seemed as if the game looked slower, but in actual play it's anything but. Every cancel and strike is responsive as hell, and the game plays veeery fast.

Teknoman

I like how the game gets a little metroidy by having to revisit areas with new powers to unlock everything. I'm liking the focus on exploration in some areas as well. Just feels like there are more hidden areas/something i'm always missing here.

Momentary

Banned
Game runs great on my laptop. Pretty fun, but Nephilim is too easy. Technically the game ISN'T a graphical powerhouse, but it makes up for it with great art assests. At least this way, more PC users can enjoy 60fps gameplay. The combo system is taking some getting used to. Having to do F,F+Attack for Stinger moves is messing me up big time.

This is game is in no way a bad action game and it's definitely not the worst DMC game. But, I can see how someone who's on consoles can get upset about this game. I saw it over here on the console in the common area and it looks so totally different. 30fps is so jarring to my eyes.

Teknoman

It's an understatement how much a solid 60fps helps this game. From the 60fps videos that were floating around, it almost seemed as if the game looked slower, but in actual play it's anything but. Every cancel and strike is responsive as hell, and the game plays veeery fast.

Definitely. Sucks that youtube doesnt support 60fps though...would be nice if those without capable PCs could see it in action at 60.

antitrop

I'm starting on Nephilim and it's pretty easy.

I'm having a hell of a time with the PS3 controller on this one, though. I can't pull off the R2+R1 or R2+L1 dodges for shit.

For anyone that's having screen tearing issues, disable v-sync and then enable it again afterwards. It says it's on by default, but for some reason you have to reset it.

Playing this game with v-sync seems like a bad idea, though. Wouldn't it ruin inputs?

You may be right, but from what I've played so far it doesn't seem like the frame window on any attack is small enough for that to really affect anything.

The amount of tearing I was getting during cutscenes was ridiculous, the warp transitions in Chapter 2 split the screen into 5 pieces...

Giard

You may be right, but from what I've played so far it doesn't seem like the frame window on any attack is small enough for that to really affect anything.

The amount of tearing I was getting during cutscenes was ridiculous, the warp transitions in Chapter 2 split the screen into 5 pieces...

I thought I was the only one getting awful tearing during cutscenes, whew.
Gonna try that v-sync trick.

I think my biggest problem with the game is that it's just not...as good as Bayonetta. And you might say, yeah, Bayonetta's the best action game of the generation, but it's also several years old now. Why shouldn't this game be as good as Bayonetta? Why shouldn't it be better? Why could they not have made a game that feels that good, that gives you momentum when you have to do platforming?

This game isn't a trainwreck, but I find a lot of the high praise it's getting to not ring true with my experiences, and definitely not the best action game in recent memory.

I share your criticisms including the revisit completed levels hook. That just feels lazy

After having played DMC4 and Bayonetta over the last couple weeks this game leaves me with an overall hollow feeling. There's a distinct lack of elegance in the combat system, I can't really describe it in any other way. I don't feel like my play will evolve considerably in anyway and I'm still on my first playthrough. There isn't the trademark, 'I don't know what I'm doing' stage. That feeling that you get when you start, getting bodied by everything, sloppy combos. Then, after you come back with some experience under your belt you wreck shop in ways that you initially couldn't imagine. That's this genre to me.

Compared to Bayonetta the enemies in this game are ass. Lots of gimmicky shit, that's excluding the color-coded enemies. Anything above fodder requires you to do something before you can start hitting them or you can only hit them at certain times. While that sounds challenging in theory, forcing players to do the same thing over and over in a genre where style and personal inclination are paramount to the experience, it reeks of a lack of foresight. This isn't a slight against 'drop their shield' type enemies, the execution of it just feels lazy in this game. No Blitz or Grace and Glory tier assholes as far I've seen so far. I wasn't particularly big on DMC4 until I started digging into the battle system for the gold mine that it was, but as far as a complete action game, Bayonetta is so far ahead of this I can't quite put it into words. By any metric for the genre, it's better. Aesthetics is whatever. I thought Bayo looked pretty good and I liked the twisted angelic designs.

I'm approaching but not quite at the end so I can't conclusively put my thoughts to paper yet, but from what I've played so far, this is an 8/10 game by anyone else and 6/10 for a DMC

Ceebs

Capcpom was right the whole time after all. Admit your defeat, Internet.

I'll add a bit more to your theory. I tried Bayonetta for the first time back in November while my video card was out for a RMA.

I 100% loathed it. Possibly my worst game of the year (that I played).

Hmm, this is the same Max that played through half of DMC4 with Automatic Mode on without realizing it. I appreciate him playing through the whole series, though.

Remember the argument we've been having for awhile now Guardian? How hardcore DMC fans at neogaf/gamefaqs represent a subgroup, withing a subgroup, within a subgroup. That 99% of the gaming population would naturally perfer something like DmC, over the 1% (us hardcore DMC fans) that wouldn't.

Here is Maxamillian, a competitive fighting game player. In a genre that's generally more complex and agressive than most. By no means a casual gamer. But, watch him play DMC1 - 4. Enemy Step, Jump Cancels, and basic understanding of any intermediate concepts are beyond him. He approaches the game like one would approach DmC. He couldn't even figure out how to use Yamato in DMC4.

But that's how gamers are. They want the launch command to be dedicated to a button. They want evade to be dedicated to a button. They DON'T want to press and navigate three different commands simultaneously to do a launcher, or an evade. That's just too complex for them.

I'm glad you actually called out Max, because when I was watching him play it made me realize a lot too. About how the very aspect that makes the 1% - ers appreciate DMC is the very element holding the franchise back from ever appealing to the larger, "god of war" crowd.

I commend Ninja Theory for doing just that, but at the same time creating something with far more depth, than a God of War game. That's something not easy to do.

antitrop

The announcer that calls out your combos sounds badass as fuck. Reminds me of Killer Instinct.

Also, I got to the dubstep boss
succubus
. Disappointing, I would have preferred something that fits. The boss fight was alright, though.

I'll add a bit more to your theory. I tried Bayonetta for the first time back in November while my video card was out for a RMA.

I 100% loathed it. Possibly my worst game of the year (that I played).
You crazy, yo.

I think my biggest problem with the game is that it's just not...as good as Bayonetta. And you might say, yeah, Bayonetta's the best action game of the generation, but it's also several years old now.

First off, by Bayonetta you mean DMC3. And yeah, shame no game surpassed it and it's been almost 7 years now.

Seems from the replies from PC GAF who're playing the game for the 1st time are mostly positive. The PC version seems to be a brand new game all together compared to the console version lol. The 60 FPS really helps improve the game experience.

antitrop

I must be the worst person in the entire world at finding Copper Keys. I'm on Mission 8 and I've only found 2.

I put some SweetFX on this bitch, added a bit of Bloom and cranked the Vibrancy up to .25, I think it greatly enhances the already beautiful color pallet.

big_z

Is there a way to make the game skip the company logos in the beginning?. I mainly want to get rid of the amd one. 45 second logo can eat my asshole

Dahbomb

First off, by Bayonetta you mean DMC3. And yeah, shame no game surpassed it and it's been almost 7 years now.
He said of the generation and yea Bayonetta is the best action game of the generation.

The combat of DMC3 has been surpassed by both DMC4 and Bayonetta. DMC3 however gets massive credit for providing a combat engine that indepth on inferior hardware. So it's a harder comparison to make. And then you have to factor in NGB.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just played through the first mission and my initial impression is that this game is going to be a lot of fun. I was never a diehard fan of Devil May Cry, but I played and enjoyed the first one and the DMC4.

The presentation in this one is just top notch. I'm very impressed. I have everything maxed out and it's always over 60fps. Looks damn nice to boot.

iNvid02

Is there a way to make the game skip the company logos in the beginning?. I mainly want to get rid of the amd one. 45 second logo can eat my asshole

should be a movies folder in somehwere like steamapps>dmc>game>movies

delete the amd, ue3, ninjatheory files (or rename)

Just beat the game in 7 hours, jeez what a cakewalk. Nephilim is a joke. The only thing in the game that gave me issue was the coloured Rages, and that's only because I could never use my full arsenal. Dreamrunners and Drekavans are cool, though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Remember the argument we've been having for awhile now Guardian? How hardcore DMC fans at neogaf/gamefaqs represent a subgroup, withing a subgroup, within a subgroup. That 99% of the gaming population would naturally perfer something like DmC, over the 1% (us hardcore DMC fans) that wouldn't.

Here is Maxamillian, a competitive fighting game player. In a genre that's generally more complex and agressive than most. By no means a casual gamer. But, watch him play DMC1 - 4. Enemy Step, Jump Cancels, and basic understanding of any intermediate concepts are beyond him. He approaches the game like one would approach DmC. He couldn't even figure out how to use Yamato in DMC4.

But that's how gamers are. They want the launch command to be dedicated to a button. They want evade to be dedicated to a button. They DON'T want to press and navigate three different commands simultaneously to do a launcher, or an evade. That's just too complex for them.

I'm glad you actually called out Max, because when I was watching him play it made me realize a lot too. About how the very aspect that makes the 1% - ers appreciate DMC is the very element holding the franchise back from ever appealing to the larger, "god of war" crowd.

I commend Ninja Theory for doing just that, but at the same time creating something with far more depth, than a God of War game. That's something not easy to do.

I definitely appreciate that things like enemy step are sometimes outside of the grasp of casual players, but Max really didn't even try to learn any of the systems... which surprised me. Given his fighting game background, particularly in a game like MvC3 that is essentially a fighting game sandbox, I would have thought he would have figured things out much faster than most. He barely explored the menus of the weapons and moves, didn't use on-the-fly weapon swapping really... and he just completely missed things. Things that should have been obvious if he'd paid attention (like the Automatic Mode or Dark Slayer style).

I honestly think that a lot of the oversights in his gameplay were just because he was doing a Let's Play, and not because it was over his head. He was rushing things and didn't want to take any time to experiment on how to do things. But he was doing a Let's Play, and that's a whole different ballgame. He doesn't want to look at instructions and menus while he's recording something to upload... he didn't want to waste the time. His job is to entertain and get hits. I honeslty think that explains it better than "that's just how gamers are."

Another thing I noticed was that he'd already played through most of DmC before he did a Let's Play (replaying chapters), which means he had already familiarized himself with the combat and platforming, whereas he played through DMC1, 2, 3, and 4 almost completely raw... only having played them years ago, once, on the PS2/PC. That certainly accounts for the difference in gameplay between the titles.

But I agree DmC definitely appeals to more casual players. The system is much friendlier and lenient. I still don't think it's worth the sacrifice.

njean777

Loving this game so far, just beat
The news guy, which was an awesome fight, albeit a bit confusing at first
Anybody wanna tell me how much more I have left?

Dahbomb

Yea I wouldn't judge Max as a gamer by the Let's Play thing. He had to essentially move through the games at a certain pace so he couldn't just sit there and experiment with it. Plus a lot of the finer details of the games you don't pick up until you are balls deep in DMD mode.

When I play a DMC game for the very first time I am just moving through the content as fast I can and not really experimenting much... that comes after I have beaten it. A lot of the stuff I picked up in DmC were because of general action gaming fundamentals and DMC knowledge plus reading the loading screen or in game tips. There are stuff that I don't know or was told about later like the fact that you can parry all of Bob's laser box attacks.

Hey Dahbomb, you're obviously going through the game. Are Son of Sparda and DMD worth going through? I was thoroughly disappointed with the games challenge, particularly the final boss. Do those difficulties crank it up to something more familiar?

Dahbomb

Hey Dahbomb, you're obviously going through the game. Are Son of Sparda and DMD worth going through? I was thoroughly disappointed with the games challenge, particularly the final boss. Do those difficulties crank it up to something more familiar?
Like I said before I have only beaten the game on consoles on Nephilim and played a bit of SOS. My PC version is still downloading. I have seen ample footage of DMD though plus seen my friend play it. Bosses are still relatively easy in DMD but enemy encounters are definitely a step up and keep you on your toes. You should definitely play on harder difficulties, this is what DMC is all about. Just don't bother with stuff after DMD unless you are into achievement hunting.

He said of the generation and yea Bayonetta is the best action game of the generation.

The combat of DMC3 has been surpassed by both DMC4 and Bayonetta. DMC3 however gets massive credit for providing a combat engine that indepth on inferior hardware. So it's a harder comparison to make. And then you have to factor in NGB.

Mechanics-wise, DMC4 is better than DMC3SE (even though I miss the hell out of Crazy Combos and DTE), but DMC3 still wins on bosses and its Devil Arms are *much* better. Lucifer is so boring compared to Nevan, A&R, or Cerberus.

DMC4 wins on fodder enemies too, though, I'll concede that.

Like I said before I have only beaten the game on consoles on Nephilim and played a bit of SOS. My PC version is still downloading. I have seen ample footage of DMD though plus seen my friend play it. Bosses are still relatively easy in DMD but enemy encounters are definitely a step up and keep you on your toes. You should definitely play on harder difficulties, this is what DMC is all about. Just don't bother with stuff after DMD unless you are into achievement hunting.

Great, that's what I wanted to hear. It was just, so, so disappointing getting to the end of the game and fighting
Vergil
and winning on my first try. I guess the PS2 era of brutally hard action games is behind us.

antitrop

Game seems to be a pretty decent length. I've been playing for about the last 3 1/2 hours or so and I'm about to finish Mission 8 on Nephilim.

Nothing I hate more than when a game drags on in self-masturbatory excess. Like Resident Evil 6.

antitrop

I think this game not having a good soundtrack is an ENORMOUS missed opportunity.

Very disappointing. :(

Still better than DMC4 (blah blah blah YOUR VERY LAST BREATH *vomit*)

Darkrider

Ok, just finished downloading, played the first level twice, managed to S rank on the second try I really don't have much to add over what's already been said -

It's a fun Devil May Cry game and it runs amazingly well. I too am already enjoying it more than 4...

Dahbomb

Mechanics-wise, DMC4 is better than DMC3SE (even though I miss the hell out of Crazy Combos and DTE), but DMC3 still wins on bosses and its Devil Arms are *much* better. Lucifer is so boring compared to Nevan, A&R, or Cerberus.

DMC4 wins on fodder enemies too, though, I'll concede that.
But DMC4 has OTF style switch, a huge break through for the series. And fighting the enemies in DMC4 is a more enjoyable experience because all of them can be juggled and are better designed for the combo system. DMC3 had a crap load of enemies that were designed around certain Styles which made them boring/tedious to fight with using other Styles. You really see the difference when you play Bloody Palace on both.

I think this game not having a good soundtrack is an ENORMOUS missed opportunity.

Make up your mind already jeez.

You're worse than Jett lol.

Still better than DMC4 (blah blah blah YOUR VERY LAST BREATH *vomit*)

t2fVHPF.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
Game seems to be a pretty decent length. I've been playing for about the last 3 1/2 hours or so and I'm about to finish Mission 8 on Nephilim.

Nothing I hate more than when a game drags on in self-masturbatory excess. Like Resident Evil 6.
My Nephilim run through was about 10 hours, and I only did like 5 of the secret missions. It doesn't drag, but isn't too short either.

Top Bottom