• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Dahbomb

I'LL MAKE THE ANGELS SCREAM AND THE DEVIL CRY!

DmC ends exactly when it should've IMO. It ends when it starts to run on fumes. Very few games where I can say the length was just right although I could've used less platforming in the game.

iavi

Why were the cutscenes being ragged on again? Cause I'm not seeing it. I actually lol'd at the first meeting scene between Vergil and Dante. They're engrossing as hell so far.

Dante is endearing as hell. I really wasn't expecting that.

whatcha talkin bout willis

DMC-DevilMayCry2013-01-2521-26-09-13_zpsddde2ed7.png

antitrop

Despite the infamous "fuck you, fuck you, NO FUCK YOU" exchange between Dante and the succubus, the whole intro to that boss was pretty decent. I laughed.

The dialogue and cutscenes on the whole are not nearly as bad as they come off when you grab 1 or 2 quick clips from them and mock them, as we all did.

Dahbomb

Why were the cutscenes being ragged on again? Cause I'm not seeing it. I actually lol'd at the first meeting scene between Vergil and Dante. They're engrossing as hell so far.
Mostly the cutscenes later on. First half of the story where they set up the universe and back story is generally good but it doesn't live up to its own premise. I mean I could give examples but people already complain about spoilers.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Despite the infamous "fuck you, fuck you, NO FUCK YOU" exchange between Dante and the succubus, the whole intro to that boss was pretty decent. I laughed.

The dialogue and cutscenes on the whole are not nearly as bad as they come off when you grab 1 or 2 quick clips from them and mock them, as we all did.
Dante certainly becomes more and more likable as the game goes on, and by the end, I genuinely do find myself liking him.

Mostly the cutscenes later on. First half of the story where they set up the universe and back story is generally good but it doesn't live up to its own premise. I mean I could give examples but people already complain about spoilers.
We have spoiler tags. Just use them.

Dead

well not really...yet
Theyre not bad. I feel like this game definitely outclasses the originals when it comes to characterization, not that that is a huge achievement though.

Dahbomb

That's the fault of the PR. Dante is not nearly as much of a potty mouth as NT/Capcom made him out to be in the trailers. The whole fuck you scene is extremely different from the rest of the game and IMO one of the more memorables scenes of the game because it was so over the top cheesy.

iavi

Because Vergil has the character of a cardboard box.

Just one dude?

I don't know about the living up to its premise bit for the first half. NT was brought on for their talent at the cinema, and from what I see, they've delivered. Living up to its narratological potential, idk. Ill have to finish the game before I say anything on that.

Theyre not bad. I feel like this game definitely outclasses the originals when it comes to characterization, not that that is a huge achievement though.

The characterization is so, so good. Vergil's boring as hell, but Kat and Dante are fantastic. Really looking forward to the Downfall dlc to see how they flip Vergil's character.

Just one dude?

I don't know about the living up to its premise bit for the first half. NT was brought on for their talent at the cinema, and from what I see, they've delivered. Living up to its narratological potential, idk. Ill have to finish the game before I say anything on that.

The characterization is so, so good. Vergil's boring as hell, but Kat and Dante are fantastic. Really looking forward to the Downfall dlc to see how they flip Vergil's character.

I think Vergil being terrible is my main issue with the games story. He's just so boring, which is totally backwards considering he's the 2nd most important person in the story, and the focus of post game content. DMC3 Vergil had more personality in his battle taunts that DmC Vergil has in the entirety of his cutscene presence.

Dahbomb

All of you people need to complete the game before remarking on the story and characters. Its hard to have a discussion when someone has experienced half of the story vs another who has completed it.

Also when can we start posting in the thread without worrying about spoiling for others? Is there a time limit for this sort of thing?

All of you people need to complete the game before remarking on the story and characters. Its hard to have a discussion when someone has experienced half of the story vs another who has completed it.

Also when can we start posting in the thread without worrying about spoiling for others? Is there a time limit for this sort of thing?

Nah, one would instead make a dedicated spoiler thread.

But DMC4 has OTF style switch, a huge break through for the series. And fighting the enemies in DMC4 is a more enjoyable experience because all of them can be juggled and are better designed for the combo system. DMC3 had a crap load of enemies that were designed around certain Styles which made them boring/tedious to fight with using other Styles. You really see the difference when you play Bloody Palace on both.
Yeah, absolutely no argument there. Especially all of the chess pieces.

Royal Guard was depowered a bit, but the new temporary invincibility mode for L3 Royal Guard is a lot more interesting than Ultimate was.

Man, I just wish DMC4 had DMC3's arsenal of weapons.

Tain

Taking advice of others, I turned off vsync and turned it on again and it worked. But it was, weirdly, very slightly stuttery. Little tiny dropped frames here and there, even just from spinning the camera in a quiet little room. Very strange.

Turning it off and forcing it through control panel makes the game butter smooth, thankfully.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

You can post spoilers now. Just use spoiler tags.

To do so otherwise, you would need a spoilers thread.

Anteater

Are there any cool things you can do with the axe and gloves? I really dread fighting those red dudes (well also the blue dudes but not as much), because the axe is slow and I just can't find awesome combos to do with the gloves, and using the charge is slow as well, mashing the axe 3 hits combo and demon dodge seems to be the quickest way to stun and dispose of those burning enemies, especially those fast attacking rats, since I don't get time to charge my gloves, but just spamming axe gets ooooold :<

JoeFenix

So I just finished the game on PC....

That Twitter shit was the worst thing I've ever seen in my life, I could never approve of a game that has THAT in it.

Other than that it's a kind of fun action game with some mega boring boss battles. I like getting the ''just release'' on charge moves. That's fun! Terrible story and characters though, just truly awful shit. Some of the dialogue.... UGH!

Oh and how fucking braindead is jump canceling now? At 60 fps on PC this is the easiest shit of all time to pull off, it's kinda worthless anyway but man it feels weird for it to be THIS baby mode.

Not happy with a full price purchase at all. Certainly didn't convert me, don't get the praise at all. Oh well, atleast I finally played it!

Are there any cool things you can do with the axe and gloves? I really dread fighting those red dudes (well also the blue dudes but not as much), because the axe is slow and I just can't find awesome combos to do with the gloves, and using the charge is slow as well, mashing the axe 3 hits combo and demon dodge seems to be the quickest way to stun and dispose of those burning enemies, especially those fast attacking rats, since I don't get time to charge my gloves, but just spamming axe gets ooooold :<

You're describing what is my biggest problem with the gameplay, those shitty color coded enemies.

DMC3 had a crap load of enemies that were designed around certain Styles which made them boring/tedious to fight with using other Styles.
No? I don't remember any enemy which are awful/tedious to deal with using certain styles. I only want a specific style when I'm gunning for an easy SS, but that's not even a common occurence. Eg, RG+Spiral for Cerb, QS+KA for Vergil, SM+Reb on Gigapede

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

If you want to talk about spoilers just make a spoiler thread. It's the easiest way of going about it. Otherwise, OTs usually mark all spoilers.

The colour coded enemies wouldn't be nearly as bad if Rebellion was neutral and did either normal or reduced damage. So dumb. Especially the red ones since the fists suck so bad. Beowulf -> Gilgamesh -> Hulk hands, what a shame. Needs a range buff at least, maybe some Hulk feet too. The angel weapons are a whole lot more interesting imo

When I step back and just look at this as a Ninja Theory game, it's a nice surprise, kind of how I found Binary Domain to be a nice surprise last year. Like, this is a lot more solid than I expected it to be. However, when I think of it as a DMC game I feel a certain disappointment that the franchise didn't move forward, taking what was good about 4 and adding to it. I don't see why should have to look at things like that, it says DMC on the box (someone's box, I guess). Man... ;_;

On a positive note, the club level was pretty cool

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I think I might be the only person who loves these types of action games they didn't really like Bayonetta.

I intend to buy Bayonetta when it comes out on PSN on the 29th.

Is there an enemy pulling move in it? I started action games with DMC4, and have been enjoying DmC a lot, so I've gotten pretty accustomed to having a "Get Over Here".

Hypron

Is there an enemy pulling move in it? I started action games with DMC4, and have been enjoying DmC a lot, so I've gotten pretty accustomed to having a "Get Over Here".

Yep, one of the weapons is a leash (kulshedra):

Kulshedra.png

You can use it to either pull enemy towards you or pull yourself towards them. It's good fun. You've got heaps of weapons in this game, but you can only wear 2 pairs (one pair being one weapon for your hands and one for your feet) at any one time. You've got almost too many weapons for my taste, unless you play an absurd number of hours you're never really going to know your entire arsenal by heart, like you can in a DMC game.

antitrop

I think I might be the only person who loves these types of action games they didn't really like Bayonetta.
I hated everything about the characters and the story (I started skipping the cutscenes after about 45 minutes), but the aesthetic worked overall and the gameplay was superb. I beat it twice.

Bayonetta on PS3 is pretty bad, unless you REALLY, REALLY never intend to get a 360 I cannot recommend.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hey Dahbomb, you're obviously going through the game. Are Son of Sparda and DMD worth going through? I was thoroughly disappointed with the games challenge, particularly the final boss. Do those difficulties crank it up to something more familiar?

I personally like the game less after digging into the higher modes. SoS wasn't hard but felt more like a chore later on due to the reliance on color combo enemies, and dreamrunners and witches thrown in to the point where it got old. I felt very through the motions due to the very easy ways of dispatching pretty much everything, nothing in the game offers a challenge very reliant on the combat system you have. Stygians of all brands can't do a thing to you in the air, and the enemies that can are typically harpies and the like which should be prioritized first, which can get sloppier than ever due to no lockon instead of feeling like a fun challenge. Demon dodge with revenant charge shot make dreamrunners piss easy, the bosses barely change...I dunno.

I sunk ~30 hours in DmC so far and don't feel I want to do much more with it. I sunk 85 in DMC4 before I got burned out, and was able to S rank blood palace on top of completing every difficulty by then. This one I liked a lot on the initial playthrough for various reasons but don't feel it's strong enough mechanically to keep me coming back.

DeVeAn

Taking advice of others, I turned off vsync and turned it on again and it worked. But it was, weirdly, very slightly stuttery. Little tiny dropped frames here and there, even just from spinning the camera in a quiet little room. Very strange.

Turning it off and forcing it through control panel makes the game butter smooth, thankfully.
Same here except I restarted the game and the studder stopped.
Damn auto correct.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Nephilim is a joke difficulty honestly. It doesn't help that the enemies aren't even that much of a challenge. Still, it's a fun game and I'm glad those who are getting the chance to play are enjoying it.

The PC version is absolutely amazing. So damn good.

Nice to see someone reasonable enough to be able to enjoy that sort of thing in its context. I actually think that scene works pretty well with Dante casually retorting, sending the succubus into a greater rage.

I personally like the game less after digging into the higher modes. SoS wasn't hard but felt more like a chore later on due to the reliance on color combo enemies, and dreamrunners and witches thrown in to the point where it got old. I felt very through the motions due to the very easy ways of dispatching pretty much everything, nothing in the game offers a challenge very reliant on the combat system you have. Stygians of all brands can't do a thing to you in the air, and the enemies that can are typically harpies and the like which should be prioritized first, which can get sloppier than ever due to no lockon instead of feeling like a fun challenge. Demon dodge with revenant charge shot make dreamrunners piss easy, the bosses barely change...I dunno.

I sunk ~30 hours in DmC so far and don't feel I want to do much more with it. I sunk 85 in DMC4 before I got burned out, and was able to S rank blood palace on top of completing every difficulty by then. This one I liked a lot on the initial playthrough for various reasons but don't feel it's strong enough mechanically to keep me coming back.

Least Revengeance is comin!

On the normal modes (human, devil hunter, nephilim) A good target combo is (AXE: Y, Y, B) switch to Eryx (Level 2 charge B) - fucking eats those bitches a live for something relatively simple of a combo.

Max's final thoughts on the game. He loves it, and Simmons recognizes it's a great action game but ultimately feels it was unnecessary to reboot DMC to begin with. Thinks that Capcom should have created a new action I.P with this game, and that it would have been successful given it's a quality game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvBsJd2L1SQ

Teknoman

On the normal modes (human, devil hunter, nephilim) A good target combo is (AXE: Y, Y, B) switch to Eryx (Level 2 charge B) - fucking eats those bitches a live for something relatively simple of a combo.

Max's final thoughts on the game. He loves it, and Simmons recognizes it's a great action game but ultimately feels it was unnecessary to reboot DMC to begin with. Thinks that Capcom should have created a new action I.P with this game, and that it would have been successful given it's a quality game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvBsJd2L1SQ

Yeah, it would have been nice to see a new IP created with this game. In its current form with different character names and a new title, this probably wouldnt have seen as much flak.

Seik

Banned
Okay, I'm done!

It finished downloading at 7:45pm and I just finished it (its 4am), that was quite a ride, night and day with its PS3 counterpart. 60FPS was delicious.

My only nitpick is that even if I checked V-sync, there was screen tearing during in-game and cutscenes, but overall its a very solid port.

After beating the game twice in the same week. I think I'll buy the HD collection or play DMC 1-2-3 via PCSX2 if they all work correctly.

Sora_N

After beating the game twice in the same week. I think I'll buy the HD collection or play DMC 1-2-3 via PCSX2 if they all work correctly.

Hah, thinking of doing the same (HD Collection) but since I don't want to spend extra money, I decided on finally starting DMC4 first. :)

jett

D-Member
Are you surprised, that people don't like spoilers?

Can't say i loved it, when you spoilt the ending for me a few weeks ago.

hur hur hur look how clever I am hinting who the final boss is

It's almost remarkable Dahbomb doesn't understand why people don't like spoilers.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Seems like most of the poor reviews I see from the game are from hardcore DMC fans.

I think I'll enjoy this game then.

Hardcore DMC fans should still like it (I do), but if you were someone that played for mastery and liked the challenge of S ranking stuff the game may not hold up to previous outings to you.

Monocle

I think parts of this game are novel, some are even really good and clever, but by and large I am not really digging it.

It feels like I am always either in an arena, being pushed down a corridor, or moving along floating platforms. That's it, that's all I'm ever in. Which, okay, the environment art is nice, and I'm playing an action game for the battles, but it's doing that really nice art a disservice to be so boringly laid out.

Speaking of things being done disservices, man do I dislike color-coded enemies. I imagine the intention is to promote/force weapon variety, but all it does is slow down fights and I feel like my combo creativity gets a bit stifled.

I don't like how there are things in levels that I can't open or reach until I get later skills. I get it's to promote replay value, but all it does is confound me while I try to figure out whether or not I should be able to reach that and just haven't yet. Especially when I have no idea whether I will be getting new weapons or what they do. The angel weapon doors look exactly like the long-distance angel weapon doors so I had no idea if I was supposed to come back or just get over there somehow.

I don't like the platforming, I feel like I fall too often, and I feel like there's too much of it period, and there's almost no variety in it.

I think my biggest problem with the game is that it's just not...as good as Bayonetta. And you might say, yeah, Bayonetta's the best action game of the generation, but it's also several years old now. Why shouldn't this game be as good as Bayonetta? Why shouldn't it be better? Why could they not have made a game that feels that good, that gives you momentum when you have to do platforming?

This game isn't a trainwreck, but I find a lot of the high praise it's getting to not ring true with my experiences, and definitely not the best action game in recent memory.
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if a traversal-heavy stylish action game could be a not-so-awful idea with the right mechanics. The thing about DmC's platforming is it feels super automated. Not PoP 2008 automated, but close. You barely have to aim for anything. If a grapple icon is in front of you, you just press the right buttons and off you go. And it's only with those icons that the grapple function can be used for movement outside of combat.

I think this aspect of the game would be greatly improved by a traversal system that's less forgiving and more precise, one that gives the player a mobility enhancing technique that can be used everywhere. I'm picturing a teleportation mechanic like Blink in Dishonored, with better targeting for rapid bursts of controlled movement. I'd want it to feel like Bayonetta's canceling does&#8212;total control at all times. The reason why canceling works in Bayonetta is that even though it seems like you can initiate a dodge or jump whenever you want, the pace of the game is such that when you commit to a move, you're actually vulnerable for long enough to mess you up if you're not aware of what's going on around you. I feel like this design philosophy could be adapted to work with platforming mechanics. In place of enemies, you'd have to be aware of hazards or disappearing platforms.

This would have to be finely tuned, maybe with a lock-on system to help you get to where you want to go. As a bonus, any teleporting mechanism for traversal could also be used in combat (with modifications if necessary). Kind of like Bayonetta's panther transformation. It could be great.

Top Bottom