• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Also there's heaps of subtle UE3 texture jank in this, streaming off my SSD with a good setup. Subtle being the operative word, but it's there. No games are immune!

Just started it and played through missions 1 and 2 before bed. Seems okay combat wise, still need to unlock moves to actually get into this. Music's good, graphics are fine, missing lock on a bit but it isn't a gamebreaker.

Dante is much better than expected; he's pretty similar to the old one, if a little bit angrier. Still plenty of dumb one liners and crazy stunts.

Yes, it won't make you hate them in your first run through the campaign, but when you're playing it for the 4th time it starts to get REALLY annoying. Hopefully Bloody Palace will come to the rescue before I can't stand them anymore.

I'm on my third run and I'm not too pissed yet. We'll see.

I am really liking this game on the PC - I am actually more into it then the other games and I guess I am one of the few who likes this look on the character better now.

Gbraga

I'm on my third run and I'm not too pissed yet. We'll see.

Huh, that's good to know, I'm just expecting it to bother me, but I can't be sure since I'm still on my first playthrough. I was really pissed at it in the demo, but I played the demo at least 20 times, and I don't think I'll play the campaign so many times...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Huh, that's good to know, I'm just expecting it to bother me, but I can't be sure since I'm still on my first playthrough. I was really pissed at it in the demo, but I played the demo at least 20 times, and I don't think I'll play the campaign so many times...

Depends on your sensitivity to it, I'm sick of it by the third run and don't think I have it in me for a fourth. I was able to play DMC4 6 times in succession before tiring of it.

Blinck

Hey!
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but anyone can tell me if my PC could handle 60fps with the highest graphic settings ? ( i don't mind turning down a thing or 2 though )

i5 750 @ 3.4ghz
16gb DDR3
ATI 5850
Win7

The game is looking pretty cool from what I have seen and would like to give it a try, but there is no Demo for the pc ( that I can find at least ) so I'm not sure how well I can run it..
Thanks!

I wanted to complain about keys but it was something I couldn't remember if it was in older games or not and I wanted to actually check.

But yeah, finding keys and finding doors and matching keys to doors? That feels like a hell of a lot of padding.

Hey!
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but anyone can tell me if my PC could handle 60fps with the highest graphic settings ? ( i don't mind turning down a thing or 2 though )

i5 750 @ 3.4ghz
16gb DDR3
ATI 5850
Win7

The game is looking pretty cool from what I have seen and would like to give it a try, but there is no Demo for the pc ( that I can find at least ) so I'm not sure how well I can run it..
Thanks!
Your PC is better than mine and I run the game on max settings.

I wanted to complain about keys but it was something I couldn't remember if it was in older games or not and I wanted to actually check.

But yeah, finding keys and finding doors and matching keys to doors? That feels like a hell of a lot of padding

Yeah, that's what is currently pissing me off. However, once you find a secret mission, it is accessible from the main menu which wasn't in the OG series. I believe that is an improvement for the better, although I still think secret missions should be tied to the difficulty settings as well.

PaulloDEC

Picked this up for PC today, and I'm having a fantastic time. I wonder if maybe this is a kind of game I never knew I wanted before I played it; to clarify that, I'm coming to this as a person who's never played any of the DMC games, any games by Platinum, or really any kind of "technical" brawler. I've always enjoyed the more mashy kinds, i.e. the Arkham games, God of War etc.

I'm finding the speed and variety of the combat to be exciting in a way I haven't found in many games in recent years; every new crowd of enemies has me buzzing for the chance to do things in a different order to the last time. It's a neat feeling. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the various trigger modifiers, but I'm enjoying the challenge.

I was a fan of Ninja Theory already, so it probably goes without saying that I'm enjoying the storytelling a lot. I'm only a few hours in, but I'm struggling to see what the fuss was all about with Dante's character; he's actually pretty mellow a lot of a time, and he's a lot less snarky and obnoxious than I'd been expecting (from what I'd read and heard online).

Looks amazing at 60fps, too.

Monocle

Who is going to read this?
I did, and his core point isn't far off. Ninja Theory wasted a lot of opportunities in their adaptation of Devil May Cry's story. In particular, I agree that Vergil's and Sparda's characters were severely diminished by what appears to have been either indifference or incompetence on the part of Ninja Theory's writers. DMC actually has some pretty cool lore that was shortchanged in the reboot.

I think the performances are good, the cutscene direction is clever (the scene with Vergil and Dante walking through the park and all the graffiti representing the topic of conversation was well done), but the actual writing is pretty awful.

"Son of Eva the Whore!"

"I don't know my mother, but if you're calling me a son of a bitch, you wouldn't be the first!"

Just...what.

antitrop

I think the performances are good, the cutscene direction is clever (the scene with Vergil and Dante walking through the park and all the graffiti representing the topic of conversation was well done), but the actual writing is pretty awful.

"Son of Eva the Whore!"

"I don't know my mother, but if you're calling me a son of a bitch, you wouldn't be the first!"

Just...what.
Ya, see, that was one of those things that I had a problem with when I saw the cutscene out of context, but after actually playing the game I really like that line a lot.
I dunno, it fits. And it's delivered well by the voice actor.

My entire measure of whether or not DmC Dante is a good character or not is whether I find it believable that he will grow up to be the Devil May Cry Dante. And the more I play it, the more I see that he is Dante. He is someone that could grow up to be the slightly older Dante we saw in DMC3 and the adult Dante of DMC1 and of course everyone's favorite, Uncle Dante from 4. He doesn't feel radically dissonant to the franchise like black-haired, emaciated, cigarette-smoking emo Dante they originally showed us years ago. They fixed him, and they made a character that fits in the DMC universe.

Dahbomb

Are you surprised, that people don't like spoilers?

Can't say i loved it, when you spoilt the ending for me a few weeks ago.
I didn't spoil anything, all my posts were marked with spoilers and I linked to the ending video with a big spoiler warning.

As far as I am concerned the game already spoiled the ending with the Achievement list so if anyone bothered to look at it they would spoil themselves.

Picked this up for PC today, and I'm having a fantastic time.

Thanks for this impression, it meshes with my suspicion that this nails the combat in such a way that it could introduce the stylish action sub-genre to a previously dismissive audience.

From what you've described you'll almost definitely love Bayonetta for the same reasons and it's cheap as hell now.

rvy

Banned
I'll add a bit more to your theory. I tried Bayonetta for the first time back in November while my video card was out for a RMA.

I 100% loathed it. Possibly my worst game of the year (that I played).

That hardly surprises me. Enjoy yourself, btw.

V_Arnold

I didn't spoil anything, all my posts were marked with spoilers and I linked to the ending video with a big spoiler warning.

As far as I am concerned the game already spoiled the ending with the Achievement list so if anyone bothered to look at it they would spoil themselves.

The game did not spoil anything for anyone, if someone goes to look for Achievements when those are obviously revealed ingame AFTER you did something, then they deserve what they are getting.

jett

D-Member

Yes, and after that list showed up you kept going on without spoiler marks how a
Vergil boss battle
would save the game or whatever.

And directly after posting links to the ending yourself what else was this post supposed to mean?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46297728&postcount=375

"i didn't spoil anything bros!"

Carbonox

I did, and his core point isn't far off. Ninja Theory wasted a lot of opportunities in their adaptation of Devil May Cry's story. In particular, I agree that Vergil's and Sparda's characters were severely diminished by what appears to have been either indifference or incompetence on the part of Ninja Theory's writers. DMC actually has some pretty cool lore that was shortchanged in the reboot.

This.

Especially where Sparda is concerned. Absolutely horrendous from Ninja Theory.

Dahbomb

No? I don't remember any enemy which are awful/tedious to deal with using certain styles. I only want a specific style when I'm gunning for an easy SS, but that's not even a common occurence. Eg, RG+Spiral for Cerb, QS+KA for Vergil, SM+Reb on Gigapede
Fallen with Swordmaster are tedious. All you can do against them is jump up and slash but with Trickster you can stay in their face all the time or with RG you can parry/expose them quickly.

Soul Eaters can't really be hit with physical attacks all that well and they disappear if you face them. You need Gunslinger's Spiral Trickshot move to hit them while looking away, making them a breeze otherwise they are annoying as hell. Otherwise you have constantly look away then quick shoot, look away then quick shoot to kill them which is very un-DMC like.

All the Chess pieces are tedious fights only designed to be in the game to make Gunslinger useful (moves like Acid Rain are useless against regular enemies but against them it is useful).

While not really Style specific, the Enigmas are clearly designed around Nevan because without that weapon equipped these enemies become a total exercise in frustration to bring them down in DMD mode.

Some enemies are just bad like the Dullahan.

And directly after posting links to the ending yourself what else was this post supposed to mean?
It could mean anything!

Hey!

i5 750 @ 3.4ghz
16gb DDR3
ATI 5850
Win7

Thanks!
Of course. My PC is a AMD FX4100 @ 4.1GHZ, 8GB DDR3 and a GTX 550TI OC'd and it plays with sweetfx and 1080P max settings 60 fps.

Dahbomb

I will clarify that while my intentions were not to spoil anyone here, I did my best to spoiler tag anything that I felt was a spoiler and if I spoiled anything for anyone then I am sorry. What may be common knowledge to me may be a spoiler to others.

kaskade

Game looks nice on PC. Only played it a little since it finished up downloading last night pretty late. It's definitely pretty and the frame rate is silky smooth which helps. I feel like I've been playing a lot of shooter lately so it's a nice change of pace.

Done

Story is worse than I could have imagined. I was really expecting Ninja Theory to do something interesting, anything. This is just... Dumb as DMC4 was with the Kyrie shit, at least it had Uncle Dante's absurdity to make up for it. This is both serious and it goes nowhere. Characters are flat and the odd attachment between Dante and Kat which becomes the focal point later on for some reason felt odd and underdeveloped. The bosses are all ass and there are only a couple enemies that are interesting to fight.

I'm not even trying to be negative but it's all coming to me so easily. Game is quite good when viewed as something akin to God of War, I just can't consolidate it as that in my mind.

Not defending spoilers but Capcom basically spoiled the ending when they announced the DLC. If you didn't see the ending coming from a mile away I really don't know what to tell you.

There's not a single good boss fight in this entire game

Even the last one is pretty mediorce

From a visual standpoint, I liked the second major boss a lot, especially when it did the first cutaway.

Then it did the same thing again and it was not as novel that time.

But boss design was definitely not their strong suit.

Not defending spoilers but Capcom basically spoiled the ending when they announced the DLC. If you didn't see the ending coming from a mile away I really don't know what to tell you.

By that logic the ending to DmC got spoiled in DMC3. People were complaining about spoilers because "there's nothing really worth spoiling" is spoiler in itself, a lot of people were expecting something outlandish like Vergil dinosaurs and baby tears, but the game delivered no more and no less than expected.

Dahbomb

Man I want to bust out those fake spoilers and get a good laugh out of them again.

Then again I guess discussing those would be a spoiler because people would know that's not how the game turned out!

Man I want to bust out those fake spoilers and get a good laugh out of them again.

Then again I guess discussing those would be a spoiler because people would know that's not how the game turned out!

Mundus using
babby tears to fuel a time machine
would have been a lot more interesting than what we ended up with

SystemBug

Oh man the PC version is so much better. I guess I have to finish the game for the third time now.

Honestly though? Why are they waiting so long to release the Bloody Palace dlc? I thought they were almost done with the development of that, didn't realize they started it near the end of development.

Also will Vergil be playable in the Bloody Palace? If not seems like a missed opportunity. Speaking about Vergil...

Could it be possible that the next DmC game might be coop? Mainly considering Capcom has been pushing coop in their main franchises. Would guys like that idea?

By that logic the ending to DmC got spoiled in DMC3. People were complaining about spoilers because "there's nothing really worth spoiling" is spoiler in itself, a lot of people were expecting something outlandish like Vergil dinosaurs and baby tears, but the game delivered no more and no less than expected.

DMC3 isn't in the same universe as DmC though. On the other hand, the DLC name
Vergil's Downfall
is so obvious, they might as well release a trailer with the ending.

Sykotik

Overall, I wasn't very impressed with DmC.

The bosses were boring. Combat is fairly fun, until they introduce enemies that require specific weapon use, as it's a steadfast way to limit your choices in combat. I found the guns to be relatively useless. The two angel weapons, and the two demon weapons are too similar to each-other for my liking. The only character I ended up enjoying was Dante, they completely de-nutted Vergil. Environments are pretty interesting, for the most part.

Looks nice at 60fps 1440p, though.

Anteater

Overall, I wasn't very impressed with DmC.

The bosses were boring. Combat is fairly fun, until they introduce enemies that require specific weapon use, as it's a steadfast way to limit your choices in combat. I found the guns to be relatively useless. The two angel weapons, and the two demon weapons are too similar to each-other for my liking. The only character I ended up enjoying was Dante, they completely de-nutted Vergil. Environments are pretty interesting, for the most part.

Looks nice at 60fps 1440p, though.

Yea boss fights are so lame even on all difficulties they're kind of the same :( (other than moar damage with those 1 or 2 attacks they got).

I find some of the enemies ok but the color dudes were terrible, I don't like the fat robots either, the rest are ok. The color dudes forcing you to use only the demon stuff that has little variety are the worst.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Last boss was the only boss that I had fun with. The other bosses were just normal enemies that happened to be larger. It's fairly disappointing.

The higher difficulties really expose some of the crap in this game. Soooo many red and blue color-coded enemies. So many fuckin' cutscenes you have to mash the select/back button through. So much fuckin' platforming. The axe is so one dimensional, and the blue weapons don't do enough damage so the blue enemies are just a chore. Every time I run into a group I feel myself fallin' into the same pattern. "Ok, blue and red guys, round trip blue dudes, red guys get boring heavy weapons" "Ok, big fat guy again, jump behind him, three hit Eryx combo, charge up attack to knock armor off, rinse and repeat" "Nightrunner again, charge Revenant, whoop his ass for free" I'm already bored of this game halfway through my second playthrough, which never happen in DMC3/4.

The higher difficulties really expose some of the crap in this game. Soooo many red and blue color-coded enemies. So many fuckin' cutscenes you have to mash the select/back button through. So much fuckin' platforming. The axe is so one dimensional, and the blue weapons don't do enough damage so the blue enemies are just a chore. Every time I run into a group I feel myself fallin' into the same pattern. "Ok, blue and red guys, round trip blue dudes, red guys get boring heavy weapons" "Ok, big fat guy again, jump behind him, three hit Eryx combo, charge up attack to knock armor off, rinse and repeat" "Nightrunner again, charge Revenant, whoop his ass for free" I'm already bored of this game halfway through my second playthrough, which never happen in DMC3/4.

Exactly what I ran into. I'm just going to go play Bayo again.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man...a lot of disappointed people on this page. I'm loving the game. :\

Thus far it's more engaging than any previous game in the series.

Seik

Banned
Am I the only one who had screen tearing even after checked V-sync in the option menu?

If no, is there a way to fix it?

Top Bottom