• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

NO freaking way DmC does 110K (or essentially equivalent to Japan) in first month for USA. I will avatar bet you that DmC does twice as well as the Japan numbers.

KzwnqZy.jpg

I think this game is going to be a an extremely slow but consistent burner sales wise.

I have a feeling that there will be a patch that alteres some of the parameters on the color coded enemies. Particularly the blue ones. An easy fix would be to decrease their total health to compensate for the weak damage output of angel weapons. And in return make their damage output on Dante higher to balance the difficulty.

I also echo with Jett, I think how they handled the control mechanics was fantastic in that while each individual weapon may have less depth than a weapon in DMC3, however - in DmC all the weapons and assets are available all at one time. So all 8 weapons are accessible, whereas in DMC3 only 4 were at max. So in terms of raw normal and special attacks, both games end up being pretty much equal in toolsets at any one given moment during gameplay.

I think the next step would be to utilize the down-on the d-pad. Allowing you to exchange between weapon sets. Each weapon sets with this control scheme can handle 8 weapons, so they can bring up the total to 16 all in one, 8 for set A, and 8 for set B logistical, simplified control scheme. Do it Ninja Theory. Fuck, use DMC3 weapons as pallete swaps. Cerberus could easily be considered an Angel, weapon, Agni and Rudra could be the Rebellion based universal weapon, and then you have Beowulf, Nevan etc. etc. All the work is done for you for a quick and easy patch update.

Anteater

I don't know what a hellektro is, but I'm not too knowledgeable with music, I don't even know what this dubstep thing everyone is talking about!

I turned the music down after the first playthrough

Dahbomb

I have a feeling that there will be a patch that alteres some of the parameters on the color coded enemies. Particularly the blue ones. An easy fix would be to decrease their total health to compensate for the weak damage output of angel weapons. And in return make their damage output on Dante higher to balance the difficulty.
I think the best way to patch color coded enemies is so that they start off with color armor and after you hit them a few time their armor "breaks". Their color armor will regenerate if you don't keep them in a combo. I feel this is a good work around the system while still making you switch up your weapons.

I think the next step would be to utilize the down-on the d-pad. Allowing you to exchange between weapon sets. Each weapon sets with this control scheme can handle 8 weapons, so they can bring up the total to 16 all in one, 8 for set A, and 8 for set B logistical, simplified control scheme. Do it Ninja Theory. Fuck, use DMC3 weapons as pallete swaps. Cerberus could easily be considered an Angel, weapon, Agni and Rudra could be the Rebellion based universal weapon, and then you have Beowulf, Nevan etc. etc. All the work is done for you for a quick and easy patch update.
HAHAHA yea right at this being a "quick and easy" patch. That's a whole new set of weapons and game play addition that is difficult to patch. They can't just port over those animations, the weapons would have to be made from the ground up.

Right now if they patch the style meter and other minor stuff I would be happy.

ezekial45

Banned
I very very very much doubt it.

530K at the very very very high end

my personal estimation will be 400K worldwide, with a 30, 40, 30 split in US, Europe and Japan respectively.

adding pc sales, probably an extra 15k

I find it extremely unbelievable that this game would perform worse than Enslaved when all is said and done.

I think the best way to patch color coded enemies is so that they start off with color armor and after you hit them a few time their armor "breaks". Their color armor will regenerate if you don't keep them in a combo. I feel this is a good work around the system while still making you switch up your weapons.

Bro, that would make too much sense.

That sounds way too complex and like too much work to be added in anything less than a full sequel.

I'd be happy if there was a single other neutral weapon, and you switched with down on the dpad, that way every melee weapon type had 2.

Dahbomb

D pad Down should be used to switch in opposite direction for the Firearms that way all of them are available after only a single input. The Firearms use the same system as DMC2.

ezekial45

Banned
That's pretty sporty, considering that MW3 topped the charts and only did 386k last January.
COD is on a downturn now, and it won't reach those numbers this time again. Plus it's a much more lively month than last year. I still think the DMC brand carries some sway, and it'll push copies.

Jharp

picked up the PC version and started yesterday, just finished Chapter 5 (When you get to Virility), and holy fuck this game is good.

Background: Never cared for the DMC games, only ever played half way through the first and never picked it back up because it never resonated with me. I've never much liked character action games in general. God of War, Ninja Gaiden, etc. The most I've enjoyed of that genre are games that include elements of the genre but focus on other things entirely, like Amalur and Darksiders.

I also LOVE Ninja Theory, with Enslaved being my favorite game of 2010 next to Bad Company 2. So you can imagine my reaction to the announcement of NT doing the new DmC reboot and the new Dante and all that, as well as the resulting controversy. Basically I was excited for a new NT game and didn't care about all the hate.

And, well, I feel I was justified in that. Not sure how this game stands up as an action game and how well it holds up to the gameplay of the original series, and I'll admit that if it's poor in that regard, it kind of sucks for the fans, but I'm loving the shit out of the story. Playing on the medium difficulty and I've yet to die to enemies, though I've died to a few environmental hazards.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
COD is on a downturn now, and it won't reach those numbers this time again. Plus it's a much more lively month than last year. I still think the DMC brand carries some sway, and it'll push copies.
If CoD doesn't reach those numbers then DmC certainly won't, because I see DmC trailing CoD on all the online retailer best seller lists. I wouldn't bet on 350k for DmC with someone else's money.

I'm curious to see how the PC sales compare with the consoles.

ezekial45

Banned
If CoD doesn't reach those numbers then DmC certainly won't, because I see DmC trailing CoD on all the online retailer best seller lists. I wouldn't bet on 350k for DmC with someone else's money.

I'm curious to see how the PC sales compare with the consoles.

We shall see.

Gbraga

ohhhh ahhh i want to learn that invisible prop i've never seen that before.

here's my first combo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaB3cQ6JOJw&feature=youtu.be

The timing is kinda tricky but not so much, you just wait a bit after Reverse Rainstorm so Dante will get back on the ground (he starts airbourne, so if you do it right away you'll get the air launcher that I forgot the name, Rake I guess?), and then you angel glide~prop in a plink kind of way.

When I was learning it for the first time on the PS3 I used his arms as reference, when he opens his arms then you do the rest, it might help you, but not so sure since the PC timing is a bit trickier.

Nice video btw, I love cross under combos, I'll never forget when I first saw that Darksiders II gif <3

Dahbomb

I don't think they were scaled at all. Would need to do tests between SOS and DMD but the difference is rather small. The guy didn't get hit but most boss attacks don't even do that much damage.

Just finished it.
Took about 8 hours but I didn't do much exploring, I think I found like 3 secret missions.

Combat & enemies: pretty solid - definitely up there with the other DMC games.

Bosses: meh. The large scale bosses don't really do it for me. They are pretty generic and nothing special. Two interesting fights were
Drekevac and Virgil
mundus was quite disappointing to fight - I don't see why they didn't choose to do more with that. I guess by saving the Virigil fight to the end they didn't want it to be a human sized boss, but at the same time they didn't do ANYTHING interesting with this boss. It was so generic :(.

Story/characters/art/etc: very solid. Just a damn beautiful game and SO polished from start to finish. PC performance is amazing; I hope other developers take notice and hire some studies to port their games, as I see steam and all its sales very, very lucrative for these companies (there is a 50 million install base and essentially free advertising...I mean..common!)

Overall almost a 9/10 for me. Still need to go through the other difficulties - too bad they didn't scale the bosses up - it always seemed to me the bosses were of huge importance so I don't understand how NT dropped the ball a bit on this one. I think once they patch in Virgils DLC and the free Bloody palace it will take the game to being a solid 9/10. I'm almost wondering if NT will listen to feedback and fix the bosses on higher difficulties - I'd wait to play on SOS in that case.

Solid work by NT, definitely more impressed with this game then when I played DMC4 (but I was coming off DMC3:SE so standards were through the roof). DMC3:SE still holds my top spot for hack-n'-slash, then probably NG series tied with DmC. Looking forward to Revengeance (I hope they have a PC announcement soon because the demo looked like POS on consoles - played well though).

On a separate note:

Just watched the trailer for Virigl's DLC - I counted at least 2 new enemy types.
There will likely be an extra boss or two (it says it's "hours of gamplay", which I assume is more than 2, meaning it's about 1/4 of the length of DmC so I expect a boss).
Also Virgil seems to have a fairly comprehensive move list (ie. good ground and aerial capabilities), I hope they make him available in Bloody Palace.

Basically, Dante+Virgil+All Enemy Types + potential new bosses that don't suck + Bloody Palace = excellent longevity for DmC.

I imagine the Virgil DLC will be on sale for ~$5 within a month after its release (check GMG especially).

Dahbomb

Vergil DLC is 9 dollars and will be released at the end of February. And yea two of the enemies in Vergil are brand new, not seen in the main game.

Vergil is NOT playable in BP.

Vergil's move set is fairly limited as compared to Dante's but the Doppelganger style seems interesting mechanically.

Coconut

Banned
Vergil DLC is 9 dollars and will be released at the end of February. And yea two of the enemies in Vergil are brand new, not seen in the main game.

Vergil is NOT playable in BP.

Vergil's move set is fairly limited as compared to Dante's but the Doppelganger style seems interesting mechanically.

Will anyone care a month from now?

Dahbomb

Will anyone care a month from now?
I would. I want to play both BP and the Vergil DLC. BP especially because I feel that is where DmC will truly since.

Also BP is coming with a Title update so hopefully it has additional balance changes as well to the game.

Coconut

Banned
Yeah but a month two weeks seems a little more logical unless they are hoping for a price drop increase of sales in au month.

Dahbomb

That boss fight was a mix of Savior plus Poison plus the building boss in DMC2. I mean not only did they did they rehash two of the worst bosses in the DMC series but they rehashed from their own game as well!

The DLC timing is to discourage people from trading the game back in, as it is with a lot of games.

too late.

http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=5055060928257

Unless CEX (the biggest games retailer in the UK after the high street chains, but everything they sell is used) has had a huge change of policy and started stocking brand new games, that is not a normal amount of available copies of a game that is barely 12 days old.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
That boss fight was a mix of Savior plus Poison plus the building boss in DMC2. I mean not only did they did they rehash two of the worst bosses in the DMC series but they rehashed from their own game as well!

The problem with the bosses is that they are all similar and they don't really do anything different in their attacks. that's my main problem.

Take DMC3 for example. Nearly all of the bosses had varying attack moves and the way they engaged you was different. When I was playing DMC3 for the first time I had to analyze what the bosses did something akin to Dark Souls. I can't just brazenly attack and expect results. Here in DmC, it's not like that.

Dahbomb

Yeah the penultimate boss fight of DMC3 was quite shit too.

Actually only DMC1 had a good penultimate boss fight in Nightmare 3. That one was a doozy for sure.

kayos90

Yeah the penultimate boss fight of DMC3 was quite shit too.

Actually only DMC1 had a good penultimate boss fight in Nightmare 3. That one was a doozy for sure.

I think there were two bosses that I thoroughly did not enjoy in DMC3. Both of them pissed me off to no avail. Unsurprisingly they were large bosses.

Dahbomb

I think there were two bosses that I thoroughly did not enjoy in DMC3. Both of them pissed me off to no avail. Unsurprisingly they were large bosses.
I hated Arkham and the Leviathan but generally liked/loved the rest. Both had 3 things that I absolutely hate in bosses: Summoning of minions in between boss phases, non reactive big bodies and no real change of positioning by the boss itself.

I feel more engaged when the boss is moving around and reacting to what you do (in terms of your attacks). Feels like an actual fight. Fighting Leviathan is like fighting a pillar... that shoots laser. *YAWN* That boss was DMC2 caliber. In fact that entire level should've been deleted from DMC3.

kayos90

I hated Arkham and the Leviathan but generally liked/loved the rest. Both had 3 things that I absolutely hate in bosses: Summoning of minions in between boss phases, non reactive big bodies and no real change of positioning by the boss itself.

I hated fighting Arkham because of the shittastic camera in that room. Ugh. It just spazzed out to no end.

To be fair we may god of war alot, but its the only action game that consistantly get large bosses right and fun to fight.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Top Bottom