• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

VertPin

Just beat the game. I was really surprised. The games combat is simply amazing when it runs at 60+ FPS. I liked that NT tried to add more story to the series, which is good. The art direction was amazing, but I would love some horror aspect/castlevania to it like DMC1/3. New Dante was alright. I enjoyed him, but they should have had him say more one liners than being more deep. Vergil was disappointing, he never even used his yamato besides maybe once. He just wasn't the same character until the **end** end of the game. Kat was alright too, nothing to really say about her.
Anyways, here are some cons. There were not too many melee/gun/weapons in general, and I wished they had kept the 4/6 (dmc4/dmc3) styles to switch from. I believe they should have revamped them (rather than a copy/paste from DMC3/4) as well. Not enough moves to pull off in general too. Aside from that, like I said earlier, they did go a bit too far with Dante. He was more of a dick than he was cool and funny. I understand he was toned down as he matured throughout the game, but oh well.
I also do wish for Capcom to develop Devil May Cry 5 in house at Capcom. I enjoy the characters a lot, and their stories are already built and can be taken down further. I wouldn't mind both universes living, but I do believe a Devil May Cry 5 would be amazing.
Oh yeah, I also played with Classic Dante on PC. Really good costume. (I hate the Dino design with a passion).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The Neo Dante is surprisingly an awesome costume. I know it looked like crap in the images but it's by far my favorite one. My least favorite is Dark Dante. That one just looks meh to me.

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah the penultimate boss fight of DMC3 was quite shit too.

Actually only DMC1 had a good penultimate boss fight in Nightmare 3. That one was a doozy for sure.

It was a major oversight on their part to not make that fight multiple stages. It would've been better to fight Arkham/Sparda first, then that weird blob thing afterwards as a 2nd form.

Dahbomb

DmC PC version @ 60+FPS + Custom Soundtrack (Lock n Load theme) + DMC3 Costume + Dualshock controller = 90% authentic DMC experience.

kayos90

It was a major oversight on their part to not make that fight multiple stages. It would've been better to fight Arkham/Sparda first, then that weird blob thing afterwards as a 2nd form.

I think NT might need more creative boss designers if they're seriously working on DmC2. Heck, even regular enemy designers. It feels like they have the combat down and more varied and challenging types of enemies would give this game a lot more fun. No colored bullshit. Though dahbomb's idea of colored armor is really nice.

Vergil DLC is 9 dollars and will be released at the end of February. And yea two of the enemies in Vergil are brand new, not seen in the main game.

Vergil is NOT playable in BP.

Vergil's move set is fairly limited as compared to Dante's but the Doppelganger style seems interesting mechanically.

Is there an official press release about Virgil not being in BP or are you going by the capcom unity forums?

I suppose Virgil would be a bit more difficult to implement due to the lack of grappling (but you can use teleporation - just need to re-tweak some animations - probably not all that trivial). Also no angel vs. demon weapons - but that's fine - as they should get rid of the colour coding in general.

End of Feb. is kind of late considering the game will definitely lose momentum by then - but I will still enjoy it nonetheless. Also, is anyone playing with the Microsoft Xbox 360 wirless controller? I find it impossible to pull off devil trigger - it only happens when I press both buttons exactly at the same time...is something up with my controller or does this need to be patched?

Hixx

I'm in two minds with the boss fights. One one hand they are really, really pretty and I'm an absolute sucker for that but they are ludicrously easy and simple. Some of the platforming is harder than any of the bosses.

The only one I could say I truly enjoyed was that
Bob fella
as I thought it incorporated a lot of the mechanics neatly without being tedious or too forced and was also pretty beautiful visually.

People mentioning the abundance of coloured enemies in SoS mode is putting me off re-playing it... I'm a very casual DMC series fan but they feel a bit like the antithesis of what the combat is about. You can't mix stuff up with them too much. If you get a red and blue at the same time, ok, you can get a nice combo going but if one dies quickly (environment or whatever) fighting the other can be very boring.

Overall I really enjoyed the game though it definitely lost steam in the last third or so, really hope NT can make a sequel as I do genuinely feel they have a very solid base to build from.

@PepperJack: I never had any problems with devil trigger but getting Rainstorm and Fireworks going could sometimes take some doing! One of the tutorials involving it took ages to progress because nothing was happening when I pressed the buttons :/ Wired 360 controller

Clearly nobody designing the levels kept in mind that someone might actually want to replay the game. Constant gameplay interrupting scenes make second and third playthroughs a total chore. It's weird because the menu is perfect for this.

Anyone having issues with starting the game? I've played 9 hours according to steam (more like 5, left it running for a bit on accident) but when I tried to start it up today it no longer works. Get the capcom logo and then it goes black and I get a "DmC Devil May Cry has stopped working" message.

The fight against
Mundus' Spawn
is so bad. I think I gave the game too much credit and tried to fight it kind of like Berial with Nero using the grapple point. The problem with doing that is the grapple point disappears at certain angles. Not even harsh angles, cross body always seems to work. The indicator just chooses to disappear. Added to that, the camera shits itself if you go anywhere above head level and finally, it's difficult to see attacks incoming from that position.

My first inclination when I started to fight was to do this. I got pretty far but ultimately I kept getting blindsided. Finally I said, "Fuck it" and equipped the fists and punched the shit out of his legs with an occasional Trinity Smash finish

SSS

I've only played a little bit of Devil May Cry 1 but I'm really enjoying this game so far. I only play for the story so I won't comment on the gameplay, but I love the art style, the soundtrack, the voice acting, the level, and I even like the new Dante.

I'm going to go back and play the originals after I beat this. I have the hd collection. Should I start with 3 or start in order of release and play 3 last?

The fight against
Mundus' Spawn
is so bad. I think I gave the game too much credit and tried to fight it kind of like Berial with Nero using the grapple point. The problem with doing that is the grapple point disappears at certain angles. Not even harsh angles, cross body always seems to work. The indicator just chooses to disappear. Added to that, the camera shits itself if you go anywhere above head level and finally, it's difficult to see attacks incoming from that position.

My first inclination when I started to fight was to do this. I got pretty far but ultimately I kept getting blindsided. Finally I said, "Fuck it" and equipped the fists and punched the shit out of his legs with an occasional Trinity Smash finish

SSS

the thing about that fight is that
the game does a bad job of showing you that you can pull the arm with the eye back out once it closes up with the demon pull
the first time i fought it, found the boss cheap because of it.

Earl_Grey

Murdered By StarCreator
I'm not sure if I'd call the time sinks between fights "platforming," as that kind of implies the player is actively doing something. Pressing a button in response to a glowing light isn't platforming, it's a QTE.

PowderedToast

this game is real good, coupling the themes of adolescent anti-conformism with the catharsis of video game violence really works. the overall aesthetic, environment direction, dante design, all of it. some fantastically imaginative moments (a particular sequence halfway through is breathtaking in its ingenuity and wit)

but when you break it down to fundamentals it still comes up short against the capcom games. there's just a slight jank that i can't define (maybe UE3 related?), not to mention some absolute genre no-no's (red/blue coloured enemies). but tbh NT have come on leaps and bounds since heavenly sword. they really pulled their finger out and tried to deliver to the series standard. it's the best western game of its kind. A+ for effort

it can only go up from here.

the game does a bad job of showing you that you can pull the arm with the eye back out once it closes up with the demon pull

I picked up on that eventually but it isn't particularly important when you can circumvent the eye thing entirely by doing enough damage. Moreover, your damage output on the ground (using Demon weapons) far exceeds what you could possibly do in the air with Rebellion/Angel weapons.

In my misunderstanding of how the battle worked, I thought the game was offering a genuine challenge. To eventually overcome that perceived challenge in such unceremonious fashion felt very disappointing

Veelk

Banned

Can someone tell me what that thing on the side was even suppose to be? I was going through the entire fight not knowing what I was pulling out or why it made him reveal it's eye.

Can someone tell me what that thing on the side was even suppose to be? I was going through the entire fight not knowing what I was pulling out or why it made him reveal it's eye.

I had this problem, too. It didn't help that the visuals were extremely confusing and at one point got too dark for me to really tell what was happening.

I muddled through it but I don't know what the hell was going on, I was just responding to the pull prompts.

what I dont get about
Mundus is the fact that really, its just a reskinned saviour fight from DMC4

who told NT that was remotely a good idea?

The Mundus fight is infinitely better than the Savior fight. While mechanically, the Mundus fight is straight forward, it's visually impressive, and what you need to accomplish is straight forward. Mundus has a few attacks that do a lot of damage, and it naturally includes platforming, evading, parrying, and proceeds the story in an eventful fashion.

The savior fight in DMC4 is just confusing, it relies a bit too much on guns, and having a boss fight where it's unclear on what the fuck to do is just bad. What's worse, is that the Savior fight in DMC4 does what I feel is a big no-no for boss fights, having minions run around and shit to confound the boss fight in an even more cursory fashion. When Nero fights the Savior statue at the end as more of a 'mini-game' is more entertaining than how Dante had to fight him.

Keep in mind I'm not saying the Mundus fight was great, I'm just saying if you don't know what the fuck to do for a boss fight, at least just have it fleeting in whatever entertaining way can, as opposed to the Savior fight which was not challenging, it was confusing, it dragged on, and it involved too many, "wtf, omg when will this shit end" moments. The Savior fight is probably the reason why I always dread approaching end game DMC4, every time I replay it.

Anyone having issues with starting the game? I've played 9 hours according to steam (more like 5, left it running for a bit on accident) but when I tried to start it up today it no longer works. Get the capcom logo and then it goes black and I get a "DmC Devil May Cry has stopped working" message.

Are you using a PS3 controller? There may be some issues with that. Use a 360 controller if you have one.

Prinny

If you're using a dualshock, select ''Xbox 360 Controller Emulator'' in MotioninJoy.

Raxus

Well I finished DMD, almost SSS'd every mission too. Ironically it is the easy missions I have to SSS on still.

I am finishing up Heaven or Hell then it is onward to HoH.

jediyoshi

I was thinking it was a baby's arm holding an apple. It's a euphemism for penis.

Endo Punk

I have to say for as much as DmC moved the franchise forward it has also taken just as many steps back. Nothing gained at the end, it's just another entry in a dated franchise.
Except with worse combat.

I'm not sure if I'd call the time sinks between fights "platforming," as that kind of implies the player is actively doing something. Pressing a button in response to a glowing light isn't platforming, it's a QTE.

It gets better later on when there are a mix of red and blue and propulsion nodes to hit, but otherwise I agree. It's too easy.

The Mundus fight is infinitely better than the Savior fight. While mechanically, the Mundus fight is straight forward, it's visually impressive, and what you need to accomplish is straight forward. Mundus has a few attacks that do a lot of damage, and it naturally includes platforming, evading, parrying, and proceeds the story in an eventful fashion.

The savior fight in DMC4 is just confusing, it relies a bit too much on guns, and having a boss fight where it's unclear on what the fuck to do is just bad. What's worse, is that the Savior fight in DMC4 does what I feel is a big no-no for boss fights, having minions run around and shit to confound the boss fight in an even more cursory fashion. When Nero fights the Savior statue at the end as more of a 'mini-game' is more entertaining than how Dante had to fight him.

Keep in mind I'm not saying the Mundus fight was great, I'm just saying if you don't know what the fuck to do for a boss fight, at least just have it fleeting in whatever entertaining way can, as opposed to the Savior fight which was not challenging, it was confusing, it dragged on, and it involved too many, "wtf, omg when will this shit end" moments. The Savior fight is probably the reason why I always dread approaching end game DMC4, every time I replay it.

Are you using a PS3 controller? There may be some issues with that. Use a 360 controller if you have one.
I dont agree with any of what you said but :-

I feel is a big no-no for boss fights, having minions run around and shit to confound the boss fight in an even more cursory fashion.

No. Just no.

sometimes the enemy count makes boos fights so much more epic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZuGjnhMNX4

Dahbomb

sometimes the enemy count makes boos fights so much more epic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZuGjnhMNX4
Different combat system, NG relies much on channeling Essences to power up UTs which makes enemies an actual resource in combat to bolster your offense.

In DMC the enemies are just an annoying presence alongside bosses. The only time it has been done well is in DMC2 with the Bolverk fight where he had two wolves hounding you. That works because it actually felt like the wolves were part of the boss fight but in most other boss fight it's just a non factor really.

Random fact but there was a rumor that in DMC3 Bloody Palace one of the Agni or Rudra bosses would appear as a "sub boss" alongside other enemies. I have never seen it myself but that would be an interesting fight.

K.Sabot

High level play of this just doesn't look impressive at all. It's so slow and isn't very technical outside of performing glitches. I've been waiting for the trademark combo vids to come in, but they aren't and the ones that do look really boring.

That UFO combo was pretty decent, but only because the end part.

I'm almost at the end, (I've been busy), but the Mundus fight is irritating - my attacks aren't even making a dent, and I've upgraded them too. Not looking forward to the end...

Different combat system, NG relies much on channeling Essences to power up UTs which makes enemies an actual resource in combat to bolster your offense.

In DMC the enemies are just an annoying presence alongside bosses. The only time it has been done well is in DMC2 with the Bolverk fight where he had two wolves hounding you. That works because it actually felt like the wolves were part of the boss fight but in most other boss fight it's just a non factor really.

Random fact but there was a rumor that in DMC3 Bloody Palace one of the Agni or Rudra bosses would appear as a "sub boss" alongside other enemies. I have never seen it myself but that would be an interesting fight.

Wasn't the difficult part about killing both A&R before one of them can power up? I wouldn't think they'd be all that interesting without the mechanics of fighting both that once.

what about the hell vanguard fights in BP? I think its more down to the design of the boss itself rather than enemies in boss fights=bad

2 blitz attacking at the same time as credo or the razor fish actually being a bigger part of the angus fight would be good additions IMO

Does anyone know where does Steam put DmC's save files?

Check your steam app profile folder here:-

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[usernumber]\220440\remote

for the savefiles. The location varies with your actual location of the Steam installation.

Maybe I should be reading previous pages, but I was fully supportive of DMC prior to the release of the PC version, but after playing it. I can't help, but dislike the characters and the writing. Unless Ninja Theory swaps out writers, I don't want another Ninja Theory DMC game despite how well the game controls and looks.

Mupod

Just beat it !

My classic dante costume ruined the whole white hair transition thing. Although pretty much everybody called that happening before the game even came out, so I double checked it after beating it to confirm my suspicions.

Mundus was a huge joke. I would have been pissed if not for the Vergil fight.

One thing I was really impressed by was how much I was encouraged to switch weapons mid-combat. I found myself using 2-3 different weapons + my gun during most encounters, sometimes even more once I got Kablooey. Favorite move ended up being Eryx's backstep into dash attack counter thing...the level 3 charge staggers most stuff, so combined with the basic axe combo I could make short work of just about anything.

Dacon

Banned
the inability to lock on to specific enemies is really fucking me up during the big melees later on in the game. I keep trying to attack the flying mobs and take them out first but dante keeps latching on to the guys on the ground.

kayos90

I really enjoyed the Elysium Combo video. Not only is it a good combo video but I always enjoyed how well put together that video was.

Dahbomb

what about the hell vanguard fights in BP? I think its more down to the design of the boss itself rather than enemies in boss fights=bad

2 blitz attacking at the same time as credo or the razor fish actually being a bigger part of the angus fight would be good additions IMO
Vanguards aren't bosses though, they are sub bosses.

Top Bottom