• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Man...a lot of disappointed people on this page. I'm loving the game. :\

Thus far it's more engaging than any previous game in the series.

The games first half on Nephilim is pretty great aside from being piss easy and having meh bosses. After that the story just kind of runs out of steam, the environments generally aren't as interesting and the gameplay issues start to arise with the coloured enemies.

I finally found the fix to the crashing problem with DS3+MotionInJoy. Enjoyed the game much better. I play DMC3+4 just as fine with my controller, but not having lockon really sucks for keyboard.

My framerate dropped to 30FPS in that big area in the mission where you first get Sky Star in this game (air dash whatever).

For whatever reason I can't get the game to start today, even though I played through the first level the other night. It is frustrating. After pressing the play button in Steam, the screen goes black for a second or 2 and then a notification pops up saying "DMC-DevilMayCry.exe has stopped working." Any fixes online say refer to the crash happening when the Capcom logo appears (I never see the capcom logo), and that a fix involves removing drivers for a razer controller. Neither of those apply to my situation. I've checked game cache, set .exe to run as administrator, re-installed the game, installed the latest drivers, directx, .net, and set up the exe with my firewall/anti-virus.

If anyone has any input, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to wait for a patch that hopefully addresses my issue.

edit: win8 64; i2500k; 2X5870

For whatever reason I can't get the game to start today, even though I played through the first level the other night. It is frustrating. After pressing the play button in Steam, the screen goes black for a second or 2 and then a notification pops up saying "DMC-DevilMayCry.exe has stopped working." Any fixes online say refer to the crash happening when the Capcom logo appears, and that a fix involves removing drivers for a razer controller. Neither of those apply to my situation. I've checked game cache, set .exe to run as administrator, re-installed the game, installed the latest drivers, directx, .net, and set up the exe with my firewall/anti-virus.

If anyone has any input, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to ait for a patch that hopefully addresses my issue.

Right above you, lol. It's the controller causing the game to freeze. I linked the fix.

The games first half on Nephilim is pretty great aside from being piss easy and having meh bosses. After that the story just kind of runs out of steam, the environments generally aren't as interesting and the gameplay issues start to arise with the coloured enemies.

The first 2/3rds are really good I think. Then after the club stuff the story sputters out, the color-coded enemies keeping showing up, the boring office building, the platforming has worn out it's welcome, probably the worst boss in the game in mission 19, etc.

Mike M

Nick N
The first 2/3rds are really good I think. Then after the club stuff the story sputters out, the color-coded enemies keeping showing up, the boring office building, the platforming has worn out it's welcome, probably the worst boss in the game in mission 19, etc.

I actually really liked the office building level. The trip there was a platforming sequence you could actually fail, the chalk outlines as Dante recollected the details of the plan were a neat touch, and the shadows of humans in the real world being flung around was disturbing to think about. I will grant that it wasn't anywhere near as visually interesting as any other level where reality contorts and attempts to smash you with levitating architecture and all that, but I still enjoyed it on its own merits.

EDIT: Went to buy DMC HD for 360 on Amazon, it's back up to $20ish. Only a few dollars difference, but still : /

Ceebs

For whatever reason I can't get the game to start today, even though I played through the first level the other night. It is frustrating. After pressing the play button in Steam, the screen goes black for a second or 2 and then a notification pops up saying "DMC-DevilMayCry.exe has stopped working." Any fixes online say refer to the crash happening when the Capcom logo appears (I never see the capcom logo), and that a fix involves removing drivers for a razer controller. Neither of those apply to my situation. I've checked game cache, set .exe to run as administrator, re-installed the game, installed the latest drivers, directx, .net, and set up the exe with my firewall/anti-virus.

If anyone has any input, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to wait for a patch that hopefully addresses my issue.

edit: win8 64; i2500k; 2X5870
A friend of mine was having crashes non stop with Motionjoy. The fix for him was simply to enable 360 emulation. Any other controller profile would cause the game to crash.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
All the FMV is still 30fps, which I think was making my video card go crazy trying make it 60 fps then crash the game or the whole system. The screen going all black, red or pink.
Sometimes it would cut off all video and the audio would keep going, sometimes it would error the video card driver and kill the screen then come back 5 seconds later with no audio. And the audio would still work for everything else.

Anyway, downclocked the gpu and forced vsync and some other stuff in the nvidia panel. Now seems to be okay. Leaving the eVGA precision X software that came with the card on seems to also help. And changed to 16 bit 44100 Hz audio from 24bit.

Made so many changes its kinda hard to pinpoint what exactly the problem was now.

This eVGA 660 ti sc 3gb has been a pain ever since I upgraded.

A friend of mine was having crashes non stop with Motionjoy. The fix for him was simply to enable 360 emulation. Any other controller profile would cause the game to crash.

I'm using a 360 controller, as is. I guess I'm gonna have to just wait it out, as I haven't been able to find anyone with issues matching mine as of yet.

TP

I dreamed about having a legendary dark knight mode in the pc version but after realizing all the enemies would be color coded it turned into a nightmare.

Dahbomb

Yeah I am with you on all those points. Game peaks out at mission 13 and until then its close to a 9/10 game. Most stuff after it is 7/10 quality including the story and cutscenes.

Also since you have finished the game what do you think of my boss ranking?

Vergil > Hunter > Poison > Bob > Mundus Spawn > Mundus

Yeah I am with you on all those points. Game peaks out at mission 13 and until then its close to a 9/10 game. Most stuff after it is 7/10 quality including the story and cutscenes.

I'd replace
Bob with Hunter, Bob's fight was a complete eye candy and really his fight and Vergil
are the only ones that I liked to be honest, the other either felt gimmicky or tacked on.

That sounds about right. The first three are on the cusp of being interesting to fight, even if they're end up being alarmingly simplistic. The last three are visually interesting, but the designs are really dull for a DMC game. They feel like Zelda bosses, use your gadget to discover their weaknesses, beat them up three times, huzzaaah. And then do the exact same thing for the harder difficulties, except he has one new attack now.

Seik

Banned

Its pretty much accurate to me, though I'd switch
Bob with Hunter
(EDIT: lol Metalic! :p)

Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks
Mundus
was the weakest of them all.

Veelk

Banned
Dahbomb, as a long time DMC fan (mainly of the combat, but still) and an old IGN buddy, I would love to get atleast your thoughts on my write up of the story in the previous page.

Dahbomb

Boss spoilers:

Bob fight is the most gimmicky boss fight in the game. Hunter is a solid boss fight, you can pretty much by pass his sword lock down move that he puts you in by parrying the sword then go ham on him 1 on 1. The Bob fight had to put in regular enemies to provide a challenge. Yeah it's visually the most impressive one but mechanically it's about as pattern based boss fight as it gets. At leas you can parry his laser boxes or whatever those attacks are.

Dahbomb, as a long time DMC fan (mainly of the combat, but still) and an old IGN buddy, I would love to get atleast your thoughts on my write up of the story in the previous page.
I saw the whole thing and I avoided it because people were getting tipsy over spoilers but since you asked directly I will answer it as vaguely as possible.

I don't disagree with any of your points to be honest. Yeah the story fails to deliver both on its own merit and as an alternate re-telling of the DMC universe. I agree that Dante was done better than most people expected but the rest of the cast falls flat.
And just like you if they were really going with the whole teen romance angle... that was a massive failure if that was even their intention. I never really felt that Kat and Dante were more than just good friends and comrades.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just did the first mission. The game feels great. Enjoying the basic movement and combat controls. I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with it.

Finished Mission 14

Visually the club level was amazing but except for Drek I didn't enjoy it, mostly because of the coloured enemies. Demon weapons just aren't made for aerial combat and angel weapons are too weak. Talk about fucking annoying. And the boss... besides being so easy you could beat it blindfolded, that was one of the most repulsive scenes in gaming. Barf

Definitely not enjoying the second half so far.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished this. I'm really glad I picked up DMC4 and Bayonetta again this week. Definitely starting one of them tonight.

Dahbomb

So US first week sales of DmC are out. The site is of course banned on GAF but maybe it can give a ballmark estimate. First week which is actually better than people expected given the lackluster sales in UK and Japan. Should break 300K for January's NPD.

I dreamed about having a legendary dark knight mode in the pc version but after realizing all the enemies would be color coded it turned into a nightmare.

*shivers at the thought*

but seriously, wth? this game is perfect for LDK mode, way more than DMC4. Could you imagine arbiter launches of 10 enemies at a time? Or a extra upgrade to aquila that sucked in that many enemies for your roulette spin?

So US first week sales of DmC are out. The site is of course banned on GAF but maybe it can give a ballmark estimate. 283K first week which is actually better than people expected given the lackluster sales in UK and Japan. Should break 300K easily for January's NPD.

those numbers are out the ass.

for every week apart from 2 weeks from launch, DmC had under 1k preorders. Then suddenly it had 200K combined.

Im say DmC did that good or even that bad, but chartz is just pointless to use, even for ballpark figures.

Veelk

Banned
I saw the whole thing and I avoided it because people were getting tipsy over spoilers but since you asked directly I will answer it as vaguely as possible.

I don't disagree with any of your points to be honest. Yeah the story fails to deliver both on its own merit and as an alternate re-telling of the DMC universe. I agree that Dante was done better than most people expected but the rest of the cast falls flat.
And just like you if they were really going with the whole teen romance angle... that was a massive failure if that was even their intention. I never really felt that Kat and Dante were more than just good friends and comrades.

I get that feeling on Kat's end, but not Dante's.
He's obsessed with her, at the exclusion of everyone and everything else. And NT sets up the game to center around them interacting more than anyone else thoughout the missions. Again, when Dante joins the Order, he gets Kat's backstory and tries to get closer to her immediately. With Vergil, he leaves learning about his lost brother until they are right outside Mundus Palace where they can easily die. And at the end, what convinces him to not kill his brother is kat asking him to do it as a personal favor for her. And, as established early in the game, he wants to bone her and hard. It's difficult to accept that he is attracted to her sexually and has such a powerful interest and affection for her and yet only considers their relationship platonic.

Dahbomb

I edited my post because giving hard numbers from the site is looked down upon. I recommend those who quoted it should do the same.

Also I don't think we have hard UK numbers do we? We don't have Europe's number either plus we don't have sales from the PC version either. I think it can clear 1 million first month.

Dahbomb

can anyone link me to the situation with the dlc? i don't understand what's going on, or where bloody palace is
Both BP and Vergil are coming out at the end of February. BP is free, Vergil isn't (unless you pre-ordered from Gamestop). Costume pack for PC is available now if you pre-ordered, Jan 30th on consoles.

I edited my post because giving hard numbers from the site is looked down upon. I recommend those who quoted it should do the same.

Also I don't think we have hard UK numbers do we? We don't have Europe's number either plus we don't have sales from the PC version either. I think it can clear 1 million first month.

I very very very much doubt it.

530K at the very very very high end

my personal estimation will be 400K worldwide, with a 30, 40, 30 split in US, Europe and Japan respectively.

adding pc sales, probably an extra 15k

Dahbomb

NO freaking way DmC does 110K (or essentially equivalent to Japan) in first month for USA. I will avatar bet you that DmC does twice as well as the Japan numbers.

jett

D-Member
Finished this thing, it took me almost 9 hours on the dot(plus several hours spent on the demo, heh). Overall my impressions mirror those of Dahbomb and most folks. Peaks at Mission 13, then it starts losing steam, gameplay-wise and plot-wise as well. Furnace of Souls was pretty cool though and I think the only place were I actually got a few game overs on Nephilim.

The story and the world building is a missed opportunity, but I never really cared much about that. I would call it serviceable with a couple of neat moments and leave it at that. Dante's cool enough and some honestly funny lines that don't cross the cheesefest line, fortunately. Vergil is...nothing, and Kat is meh. Previous games in the series are just nonsensical crap when it comes to this aspect, so it's a bit of a shame NT didn't really do anything special here. Maybe they felt trapped by the franchise itself, feeling they were obligated to maintain elements of the previous games? I don't know.

But, obviously, the reason I enjoyed the game and why I defended it so much after trying out the demo is the combat engine. This is a fantastic new start for the franchise. Mixing and matching all the weapons at once just feels great, the game makes it really easy to make you feel badass. I personally appreciated the simplified control scheme, like I said it's really easy to not only mix and match different weapons and attacks, but also to pull of moves that were previously mostly reserved to a small percentage of DMC players. Things like jump cancelling and enemy step can be pulled off effortlessly by everyone. I know some people turn up their noses at this notion, but personally I don't value control input skill much if at all, at least not in the case of previous DMC games where pulling off some stuff seems unnecessarily complicated or difficult. As far as I'm concerned it's all about the actual skill of applying the tools the game makes available, not how easily you can contort your fingers. Said this before on the forum but in terms of pure control movement this is the best in the series. All ties to DMC1 were finally severed in this game. No quirky running and turning, no more weird arc-like jumps, no more unmanageable camera control. This is where the game feels modernized, to me anyway. The feel of movement and combat is great.

Level design is top notch, there is some SERIOUSLY inventive stuff in the game, and it can be extremely impressive from a visual standpoint. Overall though the quality varies a bit from level to level, you can sort of feel that NT didn't have unlimited time or resources to develop the game. But I think they did the best they could. I really would consider these the best level design in the series. In regards to platforming, I was actually surprised how levels didn't just funnel you through, there are several places where you can actually choose an alternate route. It's nothing "oh, wow" but it was nice to see. I didn't have a single problem with the platforming sections, I kind of enjoyed jumping from one to another, angle gliding and angle dodging along the way.

Music is meh.

I give the game 4 stars out of 5 for now, will replay on SoS and DMD.

I'll agree with you Jett in saying that the control scheme is mostly solid, and that the actual crux of the gameplay, having access to all your gear at once, is fine. The moveset for those weapons are pretty small though, and it's a shame that there isn't anything worth fighting in the game.

Finished the game today. It was good but repetitive. I really liked the weapons too

Loved the
fire fists and ninja stars
. Finished the game this morning. Loved it, hope they will have a sequel so they can fix some of the weaker points of the game. In terms of boss ranks:
Vergil>Bob>Succubus>Lilith>Mundus>Hunter

In terms of setting, my favorite was definitely
Lilith's, loved the announcer for each Stage, as well as the lights and colors
. Hated the music, using a custom soundtrack really changed the game for me. Nothing screams bad ass like M.I.A.'s "Bad Girl" while slashing into enemies. It's my official Dante theme song.

jett

D-Member
So how did you enjoy your bag of Doritos and can of Virility?

I liked Furnace of Souls too, it's too bad it was so short.

I didn't get any, they must've misplaced my address. :<

p.s.
The fight with Mundus
was some honest garbage. The fudge? They didn't even bother with a semi-decent piece of music. Frankly the BladeWolf boss battle in the MGR demo was better than any boss in this game. On Nephilim anyway, I don't know how much the bosses change, if they change at all.

Raxus

I didn't get any, they must've misplaced my address. :<

p.s.
The fight with Mundus
was some honest garbage. The fudge? They didn't even bother with a semi-decent piece of music. Frankly the BladeWolf boss battle in the MGR demo was better than any boss in this game. On Nephilim anyway, I don't know how much the bosses change, if they change at all.

Yes, it is garbage figuratively and literally. Good news is it ends blissfully fast. Bad news is on the harder difficulties he does little (if anything) different making
Mundus
the easiest boss in the game. No bosses really changes when you up the difficulty, not even the final boss.

Top Bottom