• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This game is so much fun. It's my current "just... one... more... mission..." game. I just bet the demo boss. Character control feels super right.

Pein

Banned
Just finished it, wow my favorite game in a long time. If this had come out in 2012 it would have been my game of the year.

Cant you just hammer select/back?

Sorry for the late reply (timezones) but if you take Mission 2 there are several unskippable scenes and animations and out of those that actually are skippable, most (if not all) take 3-5 seconds before they skip. It's really annoying.

The Ghost and Blood Rages are how all the color-coded enemies should be. If you use the wrong weapon on them, it just phases through them. No bouncing off crap.

Anyway, I very much enjoyed my time with this game. Even though the combat isn't nearly as in-depth as DMC 4, it's a much better game as a whole. I couldn't stand playing that, it was so bland.

Hopefully, Ninja Theory can expand into 2 teams like they planned to do after Enslaved so we don't have to wait so long for new titles. I'm ready for whatever they have coming down the pike.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just beat it as well. Overall I had fun with it and it turned out to be better than expected. Good stuff, Ninja Theory.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Playing it now on PC. Looks great (as expected from Ninja Theory), plays well enough, and I like Dante and the story more than I expected. Combat is enjoyable and satisfying, but I can tell I'm not going to reflect upon it with overwhelming positivity. There's nothing really 'wrong' with it, but I don't think it's as exciting as it should be, and it's all a bit too slow.

The only massive negative I can give the game at this point is the fucking camera. Unequivocally the worst camera in a game like this in recent memory.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Playing it now on PC. Looks great (as expected from Ninja Theory), plays well enough, and I like Dante and the story more than I expected. Combat is enjoyable and satisfying, but I can tell I'm not going to reflect upon it with overwhelming positivity. There's nothing really 'wrong' with it, but I don't think it's as exciting as it should be, and it's all a bit too slow.

The only massive negative I can give the game at this point is the fucking camera. Unequivocally the worst camera in a game like this in recent memory.

Rather than zooming in closer to the character when walls are in the way, it just stops moving completely when it touches an object.

How far in are you? I felt that the game took a nosedive in quality about halfway through when every fight was against a color coded or tank-like enemy. Played on Nephilim.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rather than zooming in closer to the character when walls are in the way, it just stops moving completely when it touches an object.

How far in are you? I felt that the game took a nosedive in quality about halfway through when every fight was against a color coded or tank-like enemy. Played on Nephilim.

About to fight the demo boss. Also playing on Nephilim.

Lyonaz

Finished the game last night, enjoyed it.
Mission 13, that club level was definitely the highlight of the game.

Although I find DmC good, I still rank it below my 3 favourite DMC games.
DMC3>DMC4=DMC1>DmC.

GrizzNKev

Banned
About to fight the demo boss. Also playing on Nephilim.

I felt that Nephilim was way too easy. My first death didn't happen until Mission 11 (I think I used 1 health item up until that point) getting between ranks A through SS most of the game. I rarely play these kinds of games, last one was Bayonetta on normal difficulty which I struggled with.

EatChildren

I felt that Nephilim was way too easy. My first death didn't happen until Mission 11 (I think I used 1 health item up until that point in the game) and I rarely play these kinds of games.

It is too easy. That's my main gripe with the combat. I'm not really good at these kinds of games, as much as I enjoy the shit out of them, and it's not like I'm SSS'ing everything. DmC's encounters don't feel demanding or intense, I guess is the problem. Something like Bayonetta is super fast, and even the Rising demo, as super easy as it is on normal, still demands your attention. With DmC I'm enjoying myself and liking how easy it is to string together combos with all the weapons, but I'm also kinda fumbling my way through it.

The way encounters are set up and the design of enemies reminds me of Zelda in a funny kind of way.

GrizzNKev

Banned
It is too easy. That's my main gripe with the combat. I'm not really good at these kinds of games, as much as I enjoy the shit out of them, and it's not like I'm SSS'ing everything. DmC's encounters don't feel demanding or intense, I guess is the problem. Something like Bayonetta is super fast, and even the Rising demo, as super easy as it is on normal, still demands your attention. With DmC I'm enjoying myself and liking how easy it is to string together combos with all the weapons, but I'm also kinda fumbling my way through it.

The way encounters are set up and the design of enemies reminds me of Zelda in a funny kind of way.

Generally the biggest thing to notice is this: if an enemy isn't on screen, it will, for the most part, act like it's not even there.

Try isolating an enemy from a group, then go fight the group with the single enemy off screen. Then turn to that single enemy and watch as it initiates its attack animation when it comes into view.

This is something that other action games don't do, and is part of what makes them challenging. DmC doesn't demand that you are aware of what you're up against at all times. If you can't see it you don't have to worry about it.

Sidzed2

Generally the biggest thing to notice is this: if an enemy isn't on screen, it will, for the most part, act like it's not even there.

Try isolating an enemy from a group, then go fight the group with the single enemy off screen. Then turn to that single enemy and watch as it initiates its attack animation when it comes into view.

This is something that other action games don't do, and is part of what makes them challenging. DmC doesn't demand that you are aware of what you're up against at all times. If you can't see it you don't have to worry about it.

I noticed this also - if an enemy is offscreen, it won't even factor into the battle. If you're trying to juggle a tyrant (or other dangerous foe) alongside other enemies, a good strategy is to simply ignore it and focus your view on some isolated enemies - you'll seldom if ever get hit from behind.

personally I can see why people would prefer this.

However in my view its something that should feature only in the lower difficulties. Not only that, the player needs to be told as much that too.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I noticed this also - if an enemy is offscreen, it won't even factor into the battle. If you're trying to juggle a tyrant (or other dangerous foe) alongside other enemies, a good strategy is to simply ignore it and focus your view on some isolated enemies - you'll seldom if ever get hit from behind.

And that's where the combat speed issue factors in. The game feels slow compared to something like Bayonetta because it has been designed in a way that slow combat is totally acceptable. Moving and attacking quickly to manage crowds is no longer a requirement because what you can't see no longer needs to be considered.

Overall what you get is a game that doesn't challenge the player much.

That's putting aside the hilariously easy boss fights.

Finished it last night, on the whole a great game.

Although, the last few levels felt uninspired, the highlight was the club level.

Loved the music and surprisingly, the cockiness of the new Dante, he was pretty entertaining to me.

remz

And that's where the combat speed issue factors in. The game feels slow compared to something like Bayonetta because it has been designed in a way that slow combat is totally acceptable. Moving and attacking quickly to manage crowds is no longer a requirement because what you can't see no longer needs to be considered.

Overall what you get is a game that doesn't challenge the player much.

That's putting aside the hilariously easy boss fights.

Bayonetta's enemies don't attack you when they're off screen either. At least on normal, which is actually an awesome feature.

being blindsided by some fucker who's off camera isn't good difficulty, it's just cheap. better to have them fight hard on screen.

remz

I haven't played it in a while. Do they move back on screen on their own? In DmC they just stand still until you look at them.

I don't see why it should matter whether they do or don't. Not being hit by enemies you can't see isn't a bad thing. There's nothing more frustrated than getting blindsided by some idiot, ala ninja gaiden 2

I personally love the fact the game has that off screen attack disabler. I mean, sure it is something you can kinda game once you know it is happening. But being attached offscreen is such a bummer for me, I love that it is totally eliminated from this.

Gbraga

john tv

Sorry if this is an old Q but trying to avoid this thread for the most part until finishing the game; are other people having audio issues on PS3? It keeps skipping every little while for me (10 secs or so?). Super minor but enough to be really distracting. Is this a known issue?

Gbraga

Sorry if this is an old Q but trying to avoid this thread for the most part until finishing the game; are other people having audio issues on PS3? It keeps skipping every little while for me (10 secs or so?). Super minor but enough to be really distracting. Is this a known issue?

Yes, it is a known issue with the PS3 version, no fix that I know of, unfortunately.

Gibbo

to be honest, after the initial bad press that the game received, it flew under my radar until it was released. whats the general consensus on this so far in relation to the numbered series?

jett

D-Member
Does editing the DevilEngine.ini do anything? Trying to edit some graphical settings but I'm not getting any results

bill0527

to be honest, after the initial bad press that the game received, it flew under my radar until it was released. whats the general consensus on this so far in relation to the numbered series?

There is no general consensus. Seriously. In all the DmC threads, opinions are all over the place. Some love it, some hate it, some find it 'meh'.

I'm in the loving it camp.

My opinion in relation to the numbered series is that its right after DMC 1 and 3.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I haven't played it in a while. Do they move back on screen on their own? In DmC they just stand still until you look at them.

Certain enemies do constantly try to do this, Witches come to mind. But I spend pretty much the entire game manipulating the camera to isolate enemies and do longer attacks like Stinger and Whirlwind to crank out style with safety. It depends on the enemy set on whether or not it's a good idea for an action game to do, and I think in DmC it isn't needed. Every enemy attacks with clear visual and audio indicators, and they are all generally pretty long animations (which is one of many reasons why demon dodge is extremely easy to pull off).

But yeah, Stygians and the like don't really do anything. Very easy to game.

There is no general consensus. Seriously. In all the DmC threads, opinions are all over the place. Some love it, some hate it, some find it 'meh'.

I'm in the loving it camp.

My opinion in relation to the numbered series is that its right after DMC 1 and 3.

From what I've seen, most people who have actually played the full product have liked the game at the very least.

Alright, just finished. I gave sort of a running opinion as I was playing in this thread, so I'll summarize my thoughts of the game here:

In a vacuum, DmC is a pretty good game where a lot of the better aspects are blunted by strange decisions. The color coded enemies, the differing paths without much difference, the way the game encourages you to go back to older levels but puts in enough annoyances that makes replaying levels sort of annoying. But it's far more competent than I expected it to be, so I suppose I'll be dining on a slice of crow.

The phrase I keep coming back to in my head is "You take a swing at the king, you better not miss." If there is any action series currently existing in the business that could take Bayonetta's crown, it was DMC. But it didn't, overall. So I am left with this feeling of being surprised that DmC is better than I expected, but also that it's not as good as it could have been.

The game just...doesn't do anything with the potential it had. Rather than being extremely tight, it plays it incredibly safe. It tries to streamline some things (rank inflation, one puzzle-like element in the entire game, very little weapon switching), leaves some things that probably could have been changed (you still need to find a statue to upgrade), and makes some things more complicated (red orbs and upgrade points are separate...why?).

The rest is all stuff I have said before. I think the color-coded enemies and "enraged" enemies do fundamental damage to the battle system. I find the fact that much of the game is just a floating platform/hookshot template with different skins applied to be seriously limiting. I think the enemy design is poor. I think the keys and doors for bonus rooms were just padding. I feel like the game just falls off a cliff in terms of variety and design after the second major boss.

But it wasn't a trainwreck. It just took a swing at the king and missed and I don't give it particular credit for getting up the courage to try.

EatChildren

The rest is all stuff I have said before. I think the color-coded enemies and "enraged" enemies do fundamental damage to the battle system. I find the fact that much of the game is just a floating platform/hookshot template with different skins applied to be seriously limiting. I think the enemy design is poor. I think the keys and doors for bonus rooms were just padding. I feel like the game just falls off a cliff in terms of variety and design after the second major boss.

The enemy and encounter design is perhaps the most obvious fundamental change to the Devil May Cry formula, and what people have come to expect from games like Bayonetta. DmC has a combat system designed around puzzling first, fighting secondary. The fighting system is grounded and deep enough to be fun, but not enough to compare to Bayonetta. So they've gone the same rout as The Legend of Zelda: strong enemies have a certain puzzle and rhythm to them that must be overcome. Colour coding, weak spots, emphasis on grapples, and so on.

It changes the entire dynamic of the encounter design because it prioritises juggling your tools for puzzle solving versus purely fighting. It's weird, but I also think that maybe Ninja Theory had the right idea here, because I'm not confident they have the skill to hold up to something like Bayonetta. And this is true for a reboot, too. They're really done the whole reboot thing in the purest sense: reimagined the concept of Devil May Cry as they see it, even if that includes rebooting the combat system. And maybe that's for the best. Had they tried to match or best Bayonetta, or copy the old combat style, and then failed, I doubt people would be as positive as they are, and I think the press would be far more negative.

That being said, it also means DmC can't hold a candle to pure fighting and combat that games like Bayonetta have. Ninja Theory basically haven't bothered to. On one hand, it's lead to me enjoying the game more than I expected, because the last thing I wanted was a poor man's Devil May Cry / Bayonetta. But on the other hand it has made me realise how much I value a fast, tightly woven pure fighting system over anything else in these kinds of games, and sitting 2/3rds through the game no battle in DmC has remained memorable for gameplay reasons, even if they were memorable for presentation.

Jackpot

Banned
Well, time to eat crow, it was pretty compelling. If it was a new IP I'd love it, but it's a choice between this and the "old style" DMC and I choose the latter every time.

It makes for a good spin-off. It had great faces and graphics in the cutscene were good, but the ingame gameplay graphics were pretty poor from a technical standpoint (artistically I liked the exploding environments). From the very beginning you see the same pixellated slime effect UE3 has used since the start of this gen.

Some of the environments were dull in location. "Underground factory" with gantries everywhere.

No one can pull of a fedora anymore, not even Vergil. It is officially the mark of nerdy hipsters. Also Vergil was a bit of a pussy in this universe.

Dahbomb

So on the PC version you can "switch" between Angel/Demon/Human mode by a single tap and you don't have to hold down anything.

I haven't even fucking started the PC version and it's already better than the console version!

Well after watching Seik pretty much completing the game in front of my eyes last Friday, I knew I had to buy this. Such a fucking blast so far. The combat system is above my expectation, Dante isn't the meth scumbag I thought he would be, I kind of dig the music, the story is interesting but it's really the visual style that appeals to me the best.

Rarely do I turn my opinion around that quickly, but DmC managed to do it. I am enjoying every second of it.

Granted, I'm no DMC purist. In fact I kind of sucked at previous ones as far as I am concerned. I beat the first one and I think I was that close to fight Vergil in DMC3 but both of these playthrough weren't without struggles. Couldn't control Dante efficiently for shit.

So on the PC version you can "switch" between Angel/Demon/Human mode by a single tap and you don't have to hold down anything.

I haven't even fucking started the PC version and it's already better than the console version!

is that just for keyboard orrrr

because i'm so fuckin' tired of holding down triggers, man

So this seems to have turned out better than expected (particularly on the PC, wow). Is it worth picking up when it gets a little cheaper, and is it at least better than DMC4?

Jackpot

Banned

oh. I wondered how console versions were handling the different weapon modes. But it isn't a tap, you have to hold the button down and that can make the "press forwards twice in one direction + weapon mode + primary attack" moves very hard to do. Especially the angel/demon dodges.

Dahbomb

Installed the game on two of my home computers. On my gaming PC it runs over 100FPS or some shit at all ULTRA. On my lame ass laptop it runs somewhere around 45-60 FPS (much smoother than the console version).

WHAT THE FACK IS THIS WIZARDRY??? None of my games run that well on the laptop except for games like DOTA 2 and Mark of the Ninja.

QLOC am gods. Even people with low-mid range PCs/Laptops can enjoy this game, better than the console versions even.

Also (image taken from my Laptop, don't get tipsy over the graphics or some shit):

dmc3dante.png

Playing with DMC3 Dante at the start.... LIKE A FUCKING BOSS!!!!!

oh. I wondered how console versions were handling the different weapon modes. But it isn't a tap, you have to hold the button down and that can make the "press forwards twice in one direction + weapon mode + primary attack" moves very hard to do. Especially the angel/demon dodges.
Scroll all the way down in the control menu. There are different bindings for Angel/Demon/Human mode switch.

jett

D-Member

Huh? Maybe if you play on a keyboard, I don't know(why the hell would I even want to try playing with keyb/m), but you certainly can't do that with a controller.

is that just for keyboard orrrr

because i'm so fuckin' tired of holding down triggers, man

For keyboard apparently, I couldn't find the option anywhere but it'd make it 100x more enjoyable. Damn you, Dahbomb, for getting my hopes up.

edit: wait, you can?!

edit2: no, you can't. :(

EatChildren

So this seems to have turned out better than expected (particularly on the PC, wow). Is it worth picking up when it gets a little cheaper, and is it at least better than DMC4?

It's different. I really think this needs to be emphasised. In rebooting Devil May Cry Ninja Theory hasn't just taken the DMC4 formula and thrown in their own world, enemies, and weapons. It's not Devil May Cry with a Ninja Theory script. They've really revised the fundamental combat and scoring mechanics, the presentation and pacing of encounters, boss fights, and the overall flow of the game.

Personally, I think DmC strings closer to the kind of experience someone gets from Uncharted than the previous Devil May Cry games. DmC is very audio/visual set piece driven. The combat doesn't really change much, with the same challenges and formula repetitive under the guise of new enemy types, but has so far managed to keep itself interesting through the visual set pieces.

It's like, if you stripped Uncharted of its cool vistas and interactive set pieces, there's not a whole lot amazing going on under the hood. But Uncharted also deserves praise for integrating visual and audio heavy set pieces into the basic mechanics. DmC is kind of like that, for me anyway. A lot of work has gone into keeping the game interesting and fun thanks to the way levels are presented and the gorgeous set pieces. Strip back the presentation and I'm not confident I'd fondly remember the combat.

Ryn

Holy damn this game is good.

Like, really good. Just got
Aquila, wow this weapon is ridiuclously fun. As soon as I got it I upgraded Tornado for it...first battle in the next mission SSS style. Nice.

Dahbomb

It's on the Keyboard for sure.

My Keyboard bindings for those who don't have a controller:

Space = Dodge
Left Shift = Angel Mode
Right Shift = Demon Mode

J = regular attack
K = Jump
L = special attack
I = shoot

(So all the attacks are within range of jump so that I can do enemy step cancels)

WASD for movement

1/2/3 = Angel/Demon/Firearm weapon switch
4/5/6 = Angel/Demon/Human form switch (this just toggles them like a switch)

Z + X = Devil Trigger

I am finding DmC to be more Keyboard friendly than DMC4 mostly because there is no lock on.

Top Bottom