• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Aesthet1c

Just finished it last night. Man this game is so good. I loved it.

Is the DMC HD Collection worth getting? Do they still hold up well? I played and enjoyed DMC 1 and 2 when they first released but I never played 3, and thought I should check it out with all the praise it gets here.

The enemy and encounter design is perhaps the most obvious fundamental change to the Devil May Cry formula, and what people have come to expect from games like Bayonetta. DmC has a combat system designed around puzzling first, fighting secondary. The fighting system is grounded and deep enough to be fun, but not enough to compare to Bayonetta. So they've gone the same rout as The Legend of Zelda: strong enemies have a certain puzzle and rhythm to them that must be overcome. Colour coding, weak spots, emphasis on grapples, and so on.

It changes the entire dynamic of the encounter design because it prioritises juggling your tools for puzzle solving versus purely fighting. It's weird, but I also think that maybe Ninja Theory had the right idea here, because I'm not confident they have the skill to hold up to something like Bayonetta. And this is true for a reboot, too. They're really done the whole reboot thing in the purest sense: reimagined the concept of Devil May Cry as they see it, even if that includes rebooting the combat system. And maybe that's for the best. Had they tried to match or best Bayonetta, or copy the old combat style, and then failed, I doubt people would be as positive as they are, and I think the press would be far more negative.

That being said, it also means DmC can't hold a candle to pure fighting and combat that games like Bayonetta have. Ninja Theory basically haven't bothered to. On one hand, it's lead to me enjoying the game more than I expected, because the last thing I wanted was a poor man's Devil May Cry / Bayonetta. But on the other hand it has made me realise how much I value a fast, tightly woven pure fighting system over anything else in these kinds of games, and sitting 2/3rds through the game no battle in DmC has remained memorable for gameplay reasons, even if they were memorable for presentation.

In some ways, the game's biggest problem might be the title.

What's the best way to deal with 2 dreamrunners at once?

Revenant charge shot owns those mothafuckas for free. Wait until they start swinging the swords around or after a move with a lot of recovery frames, blast him. It'll explode, by then you have another charged when he's juggled, just keep doing that shit. Even better if you can hold charge and mash out some quick Arbiter/Eryx hits too.

It's different. I really think this needs to be emphasised. In rebooting Devil May Cry Ninja Theory hasn't just taken the DMC4 formula and thrown in their own world, enemies, and weapons. It's not Devil May Cry with a Ninja Theory script. They've really revised the fundamental combat and scoring mechanics, the presentation and pacing of encounters, boss fights, and the overall flow of the game.

Personally, I think DmC strings closer to the kind of experience someone gets from Uncharted than the previous Devil May Cry games. DmC is very audio/visual set piece driven. The combat doesn't really change much, with the same challenges and formula repetitive under the guise of new enemy types, but has so far managed to keep itself interesting through the visual set pieces.

It's like, if you stripped Uncharted of its cool vistas and interactive set pieces, there's not a whole lot amazing going on under the hood. But Uncharted also deserves praise for integrating visual and audio heavy set pieces into the basic mechanics. DmC is kind of like that, for me anyway. A lot of work has gone into keeping the game interesting and fun thanks to the way levels are presented and the gorgeous set pieces. Strip back the presentation and I'm not confident I'd fondly remember the combat.

Sounds like the opposite of DMC4 then, which is good. I remember in 4 there was a superb combat system (I loved Nero's arm moves), but a pretty dull adventure and enemies based around it, plus they committed the cardinal sin of backtracking - I always said that DMC4 was one half of a medicore game.

I'm not an ultra technical player of action games, so I suppose as long as there is decent amount of meat in the DmC combat, it's 60fps, and it's not like baby's first action game, that's fine by me. I always remember the set pieces and scenarios of games better anyway rather that how it played.

Just finished SOS. Still hasn't "clicked" as many have claimed it would do so. I miss my lock on so bad. I will say Overdrive is my most used move in the the game. So many ways to start and finish encounters.

Nivert

I must be their target audience because I loved everything about it. The music and visuals are great and I really enjoyed the level design.

I started going back to find all the souls/keys/doors since I wasn't going out of my way to find them my first time around. I can't remember any game I've done that for. Only at 15 hours played so far but very much enjoying it.

Sounds like the opposite of DMC4 then, which is good. I remember in 4 there was a superb combat system (I loved Nero's arm moves), but a pretty dull adventure and enemies based around it, plus they committed the cardinal sin of backtracking - I always said that DMC4 was one half of a medicore game.

I'm not an ultra technical player of action games, so I suppose as long as there is decent amount of meat in the DmC combat, it's 60fps, and it's not like baby's first action game, that's fine by me. I always remember the set pieces and scenarios of games better anyway rather that how it played.

Man, if you found the enemies in DMC4 to be dull, you won't like DmC at all.

I don't think the set pieces are necessarily great.

70% of the game is just moving through floating platforms that have different skins on them.

The game sometimes does some interesting things with this, but by and large they're not very engaging.

Anteater

70% of the game is just moving through floating platforms that have different skins on them.

The game sometimes does some interesting things with this, but by and large they're not very engaging.

They were kind of cool at the beginning but half way through until the end it's just arenas linked by the same platformings.

Xevren

Just finished it last night. Man this game is so good. I loved it.

Is the DMC HD Collection worth getting? Do they still hold up well? I played and enjoyed DMC 1 and 2 when they first released but I never played 3, and thought I should check it out with all the praise it gets here.

Definitely! 2 still sucks, but 1 and 3 are still great. If you haven't played 3 you're in for a treat.

I must be their target audience because I loved everything about it. The music and visuals are great and I really enjoyed the level design.

I started going back to find all the souls/keys/doors since I wasn't going out of my way to find them my first time around. I can't remember any game I've done that for. Only at 15 hours played so far but very much enjoying it.

I am relatively sure you can not get all the keys and doors your first time around.

This is actually a pretty bad decision on Ninja Theory's part.

The platforming stuff never evolves in any interesting way. The same basic way you transversal by the end of mission 3 will the be the same thing you're doing by mission 18. It goes from "hey this is kinda neat in-between all the fighting!" to "this is the game equivalent to watching paint dry, it's so mind-numbingly dull and EVERYWHERE for some reason"

I mean, maybe I'm just weird, but I enjoyed the platforming elements in Bayonetta, especially all the different ways you can go about doing it. There was a real weight and sense of momentum to her leaps and air dodges, or going panther form and LEAPING across giant chasms, or hell just transforming into a bird to skirt over trouble spots. The game actually built on it's mechanics over time. By the end of mission 3 in DmC, you've seen everything the game is gonna throw out regarding this platforming thing, and it's not particularly engaging or challenging.

I can't think of a single "great" thing they did with the platforming, at least in terms of gameplay. During the club mission I thought they'd mix it up with the different floors but it only really mattered during combat.

To be fair, the only enemies in an action game that have really gotten me excited are from Ninja Gaiden Black and Bayonetta.

There is exactly one enemy type (and its stronger form) in DmC that is fun fighting, the others are almost universally ass. DMC4 at least had some great encounters with the Angelos and of course Blitz (fuck that guy).

Raxus

I am relatively sure you can not get all the keys and doors your first time around.

This is actually a pretty bad decision on Ninja Theory's part.

It really sucks too since the collectibles actually play a pretty significant role in affecting your overall score as well.

Also, I just got a SSS on level 10 using Super Dante on HoH. LOL this game really needs to fix its style system.

jett

D-Member
It's on the Keyboard for sure.

My Keyboard bindings for those who don't have a controller:

Space = Dodge
Left Shift = Angel Mode
Right Shift = Demon Mode

J = regular attack
K = Jump
L = special attack
I = shoot

(So all the attacks are within range of jump so that I can do enemy step cancels)

WASD for movement

1/2/3 = Angel/Demon/Firearm weapon switch
4/5/6 = Angel/Demon/Human form switch (this just toggles them like a switch)

Z + X = Devil Trigger

I am finding DmC to be more Keyboard friendly than DMC4 mostly because there is no lock on.

Playing DMC with a keyboard...

idmuajLFLZirF.gif

They do mix the platforming up very rarely. The time when you're approaching the news tower and it puts you upside down and you're being forced to move faster was fairly neat.

Dahbomb

Playing DMC with a keyboard...

idmuajLFLZirF.gif
Enemy step cancels are so much easier on keyboard. I would make a clip of me doing enemy step x infinite with the first slash of Rebellion.

But yeah controller all the way. I am on mission#4 and the controls are started to get overwhelming. Even my pinkies are getting worked.

Oh and a lot of the cutscenes are pre-rendered so you are constantly switching back and forth between your normal costume and your DLC costume. Looks jarring as fuck... so many fucking cutscene interruptions in this game.

Dahbomb

just finished the game.

DmC >>>>>>>>> bayonetta

FACT.
tumblr_m5jy5wrWaf1ryrroio1_500.gif

Changed Devil Trigger mode to ";" key because Right shift is too far away. Still can't perform multi weapon swag combos with ease but if I lay out a combo in advance in my head then I can usually do it. Right now I am just trying to clear the game as far as possible. I did do a swag combo in a training mode setting though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All of the platforming is shit the moment it requires any degree of precision. With some pretty and tightly scripted set pieces, a good rhythm of grapple pulling and burst jumps is enjoyable enough, even if the game can't really mix it up.

I mean, this is where I again draw the Uncharted comparisons. "Platforming" and climbing in Uncharted is pretty shitty and basic on its own two legs. But they manage to wrap it in visually pleasing and engaging set pieces that make you feel involved in what's happening. I don't think DmC does that quite as well, but that's what they're going for.

Dahbomb

what happened to your controller dahbomb?
Nothing I wanted to beat the game once on a keyboard and prove that you can do swag combos on KB as well. I have a couple of friends who actually started playing DMC with DMC3 on Keyboard (and DMC4 on KB as well) so they want some impressions on how it plays. I do have some experience playing both games on KB so I will tell them how it is.

As of now I am pleased but doing double tap Stingers is a pain on KB.

got suckered into using one of my GMG coupons (well it was about to expire) got the game for 36 bucks...and 3 hours in it has been fantastic so far. Makes me wanna dig out my copy of Bayonetta. lol

I don't think I got an answer yet, is anyone using the 360 controller for PC?
I'm having a real hard time going into devil trigger mode by holding down both analogue sticks.
Is there something wrong with my controller? The only way I can do it if I time it perfectly and these are awkward buttons to press exactly at the same time (due to relative positions).
Thnx

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Played for a bit... it's not bad I guess... but the characters and story definitely aren't as appealing to me as they are in the original DMC universe.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Oh man I got to mission 6 on the 360 last week and stopped playing because I knew I was going to be buying it on PC.

Anyway I sat down and played this on my PC this morning hooked upto my 51" plasma and blasted through this game in one sitting. This is easily my second favorite game in the genre after Bayonetta this gen. Though the game was way too easy played on Nephilim and did not die once.
KuGsj.gif

Now time for DMD mode.

Hats of to Ninja Theory when this game was originally announced I doubted they could pull it off.

It is also crazy how much better the game feels on PC on ultra settings 100+ FPS. Like a whole different game.

jediyoshi

Got a 1440p video up, compression was bad on my end but it was already >1gb at 30fps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEcPQ8MF8go&hd=1

All of the platforming is shit the moment it requires any degree of precision. With some pretty and tightly scripted set pieces, a good rhythm of grapple pulling and burst jumps is enjoyable enough, even if the game can't really mix it up.

Only ever got that feeling towards one of the sequences towards the end. Otherwise the window that you have to input whatever command is pretty wide and the indicator for when you're supposed to actually do it shows up fine. Either way, the rest of the time I always felt they were good about restarting you right before a failed jump and after realizing there wasn't a penalty for it never felt like an issue.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I need videos, man. That stage was the most original and visually creative level in the entire DMC series, as far I'm concerned.

If you got a good speaker set or good headphones, USE THEM. Noisia's music for the stage is insane. It also looks damn good on Ultra settings.

Midou

The game definitely is almost too easy. I just fought the second real boss and it was a joke.

That is why I find it really annoying that Son of Sparda difficulty is not unlocked from the start. Why put it in the demo if someone has to beat the game first on a difficulty that is mostly a joke?

I'm fine with Ninja Theory working on the next one if they ever make it again, but it should be more of a direct collaboration with gameplay closer to that of DMC3 and developed by capcom, while Ninja Theory works on all that other jazz that isn't as important in a DMC game anyways.

Top Bottom