• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Oldschool

Is it just me or is it really HARD to do a Rainstorm?

I am playing on PC with a dualshock3 using motionjoy and man, it´s really hard to accomplish that.

I've been playing quite a bit on PC, and I like it a fair bit. I can see how it's not quite as hardcore as the previous games, but I'm having fun. I'm playing on the 'hard' difficulty, looking forward to unlocking some of the harder ones.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Playing DMC with a keyboard...

idmuajLFLZirF.gif
Very few people can play fighting/character action games on a keyboard, but the ones who can are scary good. Having directionals as buttons opens up all kinds of possibilities.

It's a bit different for fighting games because the inputs aren't analog. In some ways having a stick or controller to manipulate the character is inefficient because the game treats directional inputs the same as button inputs. It's the entire concept behind the Hitbox stickless stick. The Tekken videos they have on the site probably demonstrate its effectiveness most visibly, since Tekken uses a ton of frame-specific movement inputs like Korean backdashing, which would be easier with buttons for movement.

I don't think it's going to work in an action game that uses analog controls for movement.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished DmC. Long and short of it:

What I liked:
- Vivid, unique identity to visual and audio presentation.
- Gorgeous set pieces.
- Fun, smooth flowing combat system with good weapon variety.
- Excellent character and enemy visual design.
- New Dante and most of the story is top shit.
- Incentive to replay to unlock all the artwork and explore levels deeper with new weapons and abilities.

What I didn't like:
- Shift to puzzle-like fights results in a shallow, less memorable encounters. I don't really think colour coded enemies add anything to a good action brawler.
- Heavily reliant on visual presentation and exciting set pieces to stretch some mechanics that never change over an entire game.
- None of the bosses are particularly memorable in how they play.
- Nephilim is far too easy, but I put that less down to 'difficulty', and more down to the weaker combat and encounters. Too easy to cheese, too simplistic AI and enemy fighting design.
- The camera is fucking horrendous holy shit why.

I think Ninja Theory probably did the smart thing of building DmC as their own game from the ground up. Like, it's not Devil May Cry wrapped in a Ninja Theory narrative and lore. They've said "fuck it" and made their own thing, so much so you could pass it off as a different game. It's their best combat system, it's fun, the set pieces are great, and I enjoyed the ride. I'm happy that this is what Ninja Theory are going to do with the series, if just for their own sake. They're on new ground now, and they can pave it however they wish.

But DmC also reminded me where I draw most of my enjoyment from in these kinds of games, and that's from the art of fighting itself. I want to remember gruelling, skill driven encounters and boss fights. I want to wrestle with and master an intricate fighting system of combos, weapon variety, parries, and dodges. I want enemies designed around these systems, serving no purpose than to maximise my skill set. I want to remember set pieces not for how they looked or sounded, but for the fights themselves. DmC doesn't really provide that. I don't think it aims to, and that's not to say DmC isn't fun to play, but it doesn't provide the same mechanics and satisfaction that a game like Bayonetta does.

And that's the dividing line, I guess. I find DmC has a lot in common with Uncharted, in a good way. I enjoyed it, but it also helped me recognise what I value most from this genre, and also why this direction is more appealing to some others.

Prinny

Is it possible to do that? That´s GREAT! Man, I trained a lot to get the hang of it, but it is impossible.
You have to go to the DmC folder and open DefaultInput.ini in DevilGame>Config
Then you change ''GUNSPECIAL = NTB_V_GAME2'' to ''GUNSPECIAL = NTB_DPADDOWN''.

I've just finished the game. I love the art direction and the originality. I wish the story was more developed and not so fucking stupid, though.

Also, I want to have sex with Lilith.

V_Arnold

EatChildren, I have to disagree with you on the platforming part. Sometimes it requires a precise jump or two, and they can be pulled off with exactly that: precision. There is nothing buggy or messy about that, imho. And I say this with a full SSS Nephilim completion, which means that I was required to jump around quite a lot to get all the lost souls for those full completion modifiers. In fact, I still feel like it is going to be okay to replay all that again on pc :D

Narolf

Banned
Got to play the game for no less than a hour at a store a few days ago since there was no one at the place (à la Fnac, Computer) back then.

Pretty sure I've already said it at some point, but the game is ludicrously easy. I knew nothing but the name of the series before, neither was I fond of Beat them & All in general, and that didn't prevent me from beating the first two chapters while dying only twice. First time I was touching a BTA by the way. That being said, I really dig the new Dante. Hell, I find it more classy than the old one even, I don't mind the filthy orientation at all. I can safely say it will be my first BTA should I feel the need to get into the genre, so long I can get it for cheap.

Pachinko

I've played up to the end of mission 6 I think ? I believe the next stage is the boss encounter from the demo.

I'm having quite a bit of fun with this, it's pretty much heavenly sword 2 with a bit of devil may cry tossed in there. I was told I'd enjoy it more if I played it on nephilim but decided against that, I'll play it on "normal". That's the experience the developer intended and , again, yeah it's very easy but I don't mind. The combat is enjoyable enough and without really having a fear of dying I can just and enjoy the game rather then having to worry about replaying chunks of stages.

It also looks glorious on the PC.. .it's just a shame my computer does this thing during ANY game I play where it restarts the video driver about 6 times and then windows explorer crashes. When that happens while on the desktop , you can keep doing whatever. During a game though, the game just crashes hard. Thankfully Ninja Theory put in fairly liberal checkpoints so the couple times this happened it never set me back more then a couple minutes.

I must also add, I hooked my pc up to my home theater and holy crap. 55 inch plasma 1080 p gaming with full surround sound is SO much better then playing it at the desk.

The game once popped up a tutorial of how to use devil trigger to avoid damage from a demon's inferno attack.

Several hours before I was able to actually use the devil trigger.

Dahbomb

I've just finished the game. I love the art direction and the originality. I wish the story was more developed and not so fucking stupid, though.

Also, I want to have sex with Lilith.
WTF....

Hey Dahbomb does this play smoother on keyboard than the darksiders games? That shit was freaking amazing
Plays about the same. Just do yourself a favor and don't use your mouse for anything aside from camera control. I posted my configuration a while back, it's pretty solid if you develop the muscle memory for it.

BadAss2961

Nah, different but also good. They changed certain elements (i.e. removing jumping through doors in MP3) and added several gameplay-interrupting animations/cutscenes that make it less enjoyable on repeated playthroughs.
But regardless of cutscene/gameplay balance, the gunplay and physics of MP3 are obviously better.

I am playing DMC4 again (anyone who knows me on Steam probably just saw me doing that) to see if it felt different or if I'm just crazy.

After getting my sea legs back, I definitely prefer the way DMC4 feels in battle to DmC. I am trying my best to be objective, but I get more satisfaction out of every battle in DMC4 than I do in DmC.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am playing DMC4 again (anyone who knows me on Steam probably just saw me doing that) to see if it felt different or if I'm just crazy.

After getting my sea legs back, I definitely prefer the way DMC4 feels in battle to DmC. I am trying my best to be objective, but I get more satisfaction out of every battle in DMC4 than I do in DmC.

DmC feels so much more repetitive. I'm on DMD and just dread fighting certain enemy types due to how long it takes, not at all because it's an actually difficult battle.

Every time a blue enemy shows up on higher difficulty, I die a little inside. More Round trip abuse, more weak ass weapon time. Red enemies not that much better.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Game scrubs up pretty nicely on PC.

dmc100uvs.png

dmc1oeu4.png

The game once popped up a tutorial of how to use devil trigger to avoid damage from a demon's inferno attack.

Several hours before I was able to actually use the devil trigger.

I think it was telling you "demon mode," not devil trigger. As in as long as you're holding R for a demon weapon you can avoid damage from the inferno. I remember thinking the same thing and being confused for a bit.

Top Bottom