• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

ultim8p00

Banned
Dude why are you linking me to NG2 videos? I know what NG2 plays like I have beaten it on MNM. DMC4 has mostly docile enemies but Dante's potential in that game is far ahead of what's actually even required of the game. A top level Dante player makes DMC4 look like a joke and would trounce NG2. All the "shit flying around" would just power up Dante's RG even faster and a couple of Just Releases would tear up crowds. Not to mention that Dante in DT can just repeatedly Stinger through crowds until they die then play keep away with guns and shit to build his DT or just start jumping on their heads.

Since you linked a video, I will link one too:

http://youtu.be/60OL9J0yrik?t=2m37s
I see what you are saying, but I disagree on a more fundamental level.

All I saw in that video were enemies doing some sort of synchronized ballet dance while Dante ripped them to shreds. I know those angel enemies have projectiles, but you rarely every see them use anything while they are airborne with Dante. This allows Dante to stroll about wailing on them as they dash around, making it look like things are happening when the only skill on display there is the player's ability to chain moves in stylish ways. The player in that video doesn't have to worry about situational awareness nearly as much as in NGII.

In the NGII video, you see a seasoned NGII player still getting hit. In one segment, the minute he landed he got grabbed by an enemy while fire claws were also coming at him WHILE he got stuck with incendiary shurikens. In NGII, the camera is much closer to the action, and enemies are more "in your face" so to speak. Enemies like mages still attack you off screen with fire pits, fire balls and fire claws. IS ninjas shoot you all the time, even during i-frames. There are many more enemies on screen, and they are much faster, with more attack cycles and frequency.

The very essence of DMC and Dante, which is stylish play, won't work in NGII. He'd have to be more tactical instead of trying to look cool. That's really what I meant. You'd have to play Dante very differently to survive in NGII (i.e spamming moves like stinger or RGing -essentially blocking or DT-esseintially abusing Ninpo) which DMC actively discourages.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I see what you are saying, but I disagree on a more fundamental level.

All I saw in that video were enemies doing some sort of synchronized ballet dance while Dante ripped them to shreds. I know those angel enemies have projectiles, but you rarely every see them use anything while they are airborne with Dante. This allows Dante to stroll about wailing on them as they dash around, making it look like things are happening when the only skill on display there is the player's ability to chain moves in stylish ways. The player in that video doesn't have to worry about situational awareness nearly as much as in NGII.

In the NGII video, you see a seasoned NGII player still getting hit. In one segment, the minute he landed he got grabbed by an enemy while fire claws were also coming at him WHILE he got stuck with incendiary shurikens. In NGII, the camera is much closer to the action, and enemies are more "in your face" so to speak. Enemies like mages still attack you off screen with fire pits, fire balls and fire claws. IS ninjas shoot you all the time, even during i-frames. There are many more enemies on screen, and they are much faster, with more attack cycles and frequency.

The very essence of DMC and Dante, which is stylish play, won't work in NGII. He'd have to be more tactical instead of trying to look cool. That's really what I meant. You'd have to play Dante very differently to survive in NGII (i.e spamming moves like stinger or RGing -essentially blocking or DT-esseintially abusing Ninpo) which DMC actively discourages.

I don't think anyone disagrees that the enemies in NG2 are far more aggressive than in DMC, but Dante would simply have to tone down the style to abuse I-frames, stunlock, parries and counters, quick startup and area effect moves, just like Ryu has to. It is certainly not as though Dante does not have the tools to do so. The character has limitless potential.

antitrop

Okay, I take it back. That Bob Barbas boss fight was fucking awesome, once I figured it out.

Great presentation and great music, but extremely easy on Nephilim.

nbthedude

If you are trying to get a higher combo meter in fights is it better NOT to level up to the second level of an attack? My thinking is that you'll be able to get in more hits before enemies die, but does the scoring mechanism take into consideration the amount of damage done or just number of hits/variety of hits?

jett

D-Member
If you are trying to get a higher combo meter in fights is it better NOT to level up to the second level of an attack? My thinking is that you'll be able to get in more hits before enemies die, but does the scoring mechanism take into consideration the amount of damage done or just number of hits/variety of hits?

The more damage you dish out, the more points you score.

No reason not to since the increased damage from the upgrades would be reflected in your style ranking
;_;

Gbraga

Just beat
Mundus' spawn, to be honest I kinda like that fight, I thought it was neat the way your hidden mechanic was actually payoff (is that what the punch is called?) instead of parry, loved punching the baby's eye to get him on the ground. Also, less cutscenes than Poison, which is already something.
(Mission 14 spoilers)

Wynnebeck

Banned
Just beat
Mundus' spawn, to be honest I kinda like that fight, I thought it was neat the way your hidden mechanic was actually payoff (is that what the punch is called?) instead of parry, loved punching the baby's eye to get him on the ground. Also, less cutscenes than Poison, which is already something.
(Mission 14 spoilers)

Glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoyed that fight.

ultim8p00

Banned
Dante in that video was parrying all their attacks...

I know...because there's at most 2 of them at a time.

In NGII by the time Dante parries one attack, he needs to deal with the 3 or so explosive shurikens that are stuck on him, the purple fireball coming at him, the fiend-ninjas all around him just waiting to grab him if he decides to get in ragne, maybe a fire-pit or a torso being thrown at him by werewolves. Ryu can easily beat this by abusing i-frame. Dante doesn't have nearly as many i-frames as Ryu.

I'm not sure what Dante can do in that situation. There's too much shit to RG or stinger through. Dante would basically have to play like Ryu - block, move about a lot, do short combo strings, use i-frames.

Gbraga

Glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoyed that fight.

Yeah, I think people are way too harsh on this one, a lot of people rank it as the worst in the game, while I think it's the Secret Ingredient one without a doubt and it shouldn't even be up for discussion.

EDIT: And fuck Color Coded Rages, seriously, FUCK THEM. Rahni Tucker, please explain why the hell you thought that was fun??? Regular color-coded enemies are already bad because of how they limit you, but color-coded Rage is just disgusting, I'm sorry.

Can't wait for that "no color-coded" mod.

Dahbomb

Dante can parry Vergil Spiral Swords perfectly even when there is no gap in the attacks. Dante can parry Sanctus's giant laser beam and all its hits. This is possible because during a RG he is invulnerable until the next RG, he is just linking together parries one after the other in a situation where attacks are seemingly continuous. Its not even a question of if Dante can parry something... its only a matter of player skill.

You can stick an explosive on Dante or underneath him and he would still parry that shit. Not that he would need to because a DT activation always disengages any negative buffs or capture states on him, it can break out of anything.

Dante can parry Vergil Spiral Swords perfectly even when there is no gap in the attacks. Dante can parry Sanctus's giant laser beam and all its hits.

because they are all coming from the same direction, at a predictable tempo.

imagine vergil teleporting around the place like blitz, and each time throwing 3 spiral swords. Then imagine there was 4 of him all doing the same thing at different speeds.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yeah, I think people are way too harsh on this one, a lot of people rank it as the worst in the game, while I think it's the Secret Ingredient one without a doubt and it shouldn't even be up for discussion.

2nd best boss in the game to me. It actually gave me trouble the first time around so I give it credit just for that.

Vitor711

So I finished the game on the hardest default difficulty and really enjoyed it. I'm probably the sort of person this game would appeal to the most - played through all of the DMC games, loved the first but never got too into the combat depth with later entries.

I found the game pretty easy and wasn't a huge fan of the coloured enemies but it wasn't an issue.

Until I started playing Son of Sparda mode. Is it just me or does the increased difficulty make the game less fun? Maybe I just suck at these types of games and can't deal with what it's demanding from me but I don't like how rigid it is when it comes to limiting how you deal with enemies.

I was having way more fun just throwing together any old combos and the added blocking/shields/uninterruptable attacks are just getting in the way of that.

Anyone got any tips for dealing with this mode? The witches in particular, which I already hated, are even less fun with their 3 swords. And I dread going up against those teleporting ninjas.

Dahbomb

because they are all coming from the same direction, at a predictable tempo.

imagine vergil teleporting around the place like blitz, and each time throwing 3 spiral swords. Then imagine there was 4 of him all doing the same thing at different speeds.
I am talking about when Vergil has Spiral Swords around him like a belt. And he's all up in your grill putting you in a blender. Dante can parry that vortex of swords, the swords are actually so fast that you can't even individually see them all but you can still parry all of them.

Dante can parry anything that is even capable of damaging him, including stuff like Blitz' Lightning armor. Blitz is semi-invulnerable to physical attacks because of this armor (he auto shocks you if you try to attack him regularly) but Dante can basically attack, cancel animation of recovery with RG parry, attack and repeat to counter the counter shock of the lightning armor. He can fully parry his giant laser beam attack as well. He is fully invulnerable during all of it, provided the timing is right. Against regular enemies, a Just Release would just launch them all in a row and incapacitates them or against higher enemies it will break their shields.

Here's a demonstration of RG in DMC4:

http://youtu.be/ZC2R8dUM9tU?t=4m7s

Xyber

Okay, I take it back. That Bob Barbas boss fight was fucking awesome, once I figured it out.

Great presentation and great music, but extremely easy on Nephilim.

Haha, was just about to quote the other post and wonder why. Beat him myself a few hours ago and didn't think there was anything special about him. Took a couple of seconds to figure out what to do.

I really liked this part (Barbas boss spoiler if anyone don't want to see): http://i1.minus.com/itaxPKQ1v0hu.png

Doing my first playthrough on Nephilim and it has been pretty easy so far.

antitrop

Haha, was just about to quote the other post and wonder why. Beat him myself a few hours ago and didn't think there was anything special about him. Took a couple of seconds to figure out what to do.

I really liked this part (Barbas boss spoiler if anyone don't want to see): http://i1.minus.com/itaxPKQ1v0hu.png

Doing my first playthrough on Nephilim and it has been pretty easy so far.
I kept trying to smash the red rings with the Axe instead of the Gauntlets. Stupid me. Once I figured it out it was too, too easy.
Pretty sure I could do it a second time without taking any damage at all.

The mechanics of the boss aren't very interesting or unique, but the whole thing with Bob Barbas and Raptor News Network being an obvious parody of Fox News as an element of the game are probably my favorite thing.

There's even a "DO IT LIVE" reference, since I guess Ninja Theory thought they were being too subtle.

I am talking about when Vergil has Spiral Swords around him like a belt. And he's all up in your grill putting you in a blender. Dante can parry that vortex of swords, the swords are actually so fast that you can't even individually see them all but you can still parry all of them.

Dante can parry anything that is even capable of damaging him, including stuff like Blitz' Lightning armor. Blitz is semi-invulnerable to physical attacks because of this armor (he auto shocks you if you try to attack him regularly) but Dante can basically attack, cancel animation of recovery with RG parry, attack and repeat to counter the counter shock of the lightning armor. He can fully parry his giant laser beam attack as well. He is fully invulnerable during all of it, provided the timing is right. Against regular enemies, a Just Release would just launch them all in a row and incapacitates them or against higher enemies it will break their shields.

Here's a demonstration of RG in DMC4:

http://youtu.be/ZC2R8dUM9tU?t=4m7s

holy shit what

and now I proceed to cry myself to bed, knowing I'll never be able to pull this off.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Even The last boss in DmC is a steaming pile IMO.

People give NG3 a massive amount of shit but The regent of the mask is a far better boss and that is saying ALOT

I still haven't played or watched much of NG3, but I admit that I was looking forward to fighting the Regent.

DmC's last boss is really lackluster.

jett

D-Member
Mission 14 boss was undoubtedly the one I died the most at on Nephilim. Honestly the only one that was shit for me was the mission 19 boss.

Dahbomb

Are red orbs are a completely different currency than your upgrade points or do they turn into upgrade points?
Different currency altogether, they are used to buy items and health/devil trigger bar upgrades.

and now I proceed to cry myself to bed, knowing I'll never be able to pull this off.
There was this really old DMC4 swag video that my friend showed me out of the blue. In that video there was a clip of some guy parrying Sanctus' entire laser beam sequence (it's not even shown in that video I linked). I booted up my DMC4 and got to the part where he does that attack. I think I got like 5 reps going before I messed up the timing. I swear that shit is like 1 frame link stuff, linking a parry into a parry.

d0c_zaius

game is pretty, colorful and clean when it comes to the visuals. gameplay-wise its pretty boring, especially when it comes to the enemy types. I find myself playing for the cutscenes and story, and less to expand my character and get more moves. The weapon switching feels pretty boring as well.

But combat feels much tighter than typical Ninja Theory games, and the PC versions FPS certainly helps. The rank system is pretty laughable compared to previous titles though, as is the challenge.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Mission 14 boss was undoubtedly the one I died the most at on Nephilim. Honestly the only one that was shit for me was the mission 19 boss.

Same here. Mission 19 boss was the worst thing in the game. Even if the bosses were easy (except for mission 14), the others were at least fun.

Once I 'figured out' Mission 14 boss it's easily the dumbest one in the game

Basically, stand by his left hind leg and wait for his swipe attack to get the demon dodge buff then go in on that leg. From this position there isn't really anything to worry about outside of the triple slam shockwave. No need to mess with that grapple shit either

Dahbomb

You guys having problem with that boss?

I will hop on the game in an hour and will come up with some strats/parry windows to take him down easy.

I really need another action game to play. Son of Sparda in DmC is fucking terrible and is souring my positive experience with it. Why are these Japanese publishers so adverse to putting their stuff on Steam? Do they not see the money????

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You guys having problem with that boss?

I will hop on the game in an hour and will come up with some strats/parry windows to take him down easy.

Same weakness as every other boss. Demon Dodge --> Overdrive

I admit, he was eating me alive until I figured that out,
especially in the 2nd stage of the fight when the arena goes dark and I couldn't see his attacks coming as easily

antitrop

I'm just going to beat the game on Nephilim and be done with it.

I don't think I've seen anyone say that they've had a great time replaying it.

Dahbomb

I really need another action game to play. Son of Sparda in DmC is fucking terrible and is souring my positive experience with it. Why are these Japanese publishers so adverse to putting their stuff on Steam? Do they not see the money????
Well it's really Platinum games because DmC IS on Steam.

That's too lame for me. Every boss has a Parry -> Stun -> Go ham window in the game, it's just a matter of figuring it out. Even Bob has it but his pattern is more Parry laser boxes -> Slam the red circle things -> Go ham.

Mission 14 boss was just so damn long. Maybe It was my strategy. But I could only get one or two good hits in at a time.

Platforming in mission 17 is giving me struggles right now...

Is there anything you when (final boss spoiler)
Vergil is doing his Judgment Cut pillar thing aside from run away while the camera flips the fuck out?

I admit, he was eating me alive until I figured that out,
especially in the 2nd stage of the fight when the arena goes dark and I couldn't see his attacks coming as easily

when you hit the eye in the hand enough to open up the eye on the forehead, enemy step and jump cancel on his head and eye

When his hand goes red and closes up you just have to demon pull to get it back out again

Dont think that because lilth is moving your attacks are not hitting. Trillion stab her to death.

What are some of the better strategies for the tough enemies in this game? Heres some of the tricks I've found

minor enemy spoilers below
Tyrants (fat guys)
- can obviously be launched and staggered with charged Eryx
- close range shotgun to the back strips their enrage and stuns them in very shot order

Witches
- you can grapple their summoned swords to easily hit their swords back. Takes a few of these to break their shield on SoS+
- Theres a tiny window when their detonating their shield between when the shield disappears and the explosion occurs and if you stagger or grapple them during that window the explosion doesn't happen. Round trip seems to do this if it's on them when they try to detonate.

Dreamrunners
- Charged shotgun is basically a free attack on these guys, but it disappears if they teleport while its on them
- You can easily grapple or round trip them as they come out of teleports

Dahbomb

General enemy tips:

Tyrants:

*Parry them using a fully charged Eryx uppercut. Once you have launched them you can basically combo them like a regular enemy and can basically take them to the sky while doing a combo. It will take a while to bring them down this way but it's super safe.

*If you don't want to do the manly parry you can wait until they charge, get behind them and Demon pull them to their asses. Then come up to them and do a fully charged Eryx uppercut and do a full combo in mid-air. Alternatively you can just do Trinity Smash while they are downed.

Witches:

*Round Trip her shield to break it. In a group of enemies a Witch should be TOP PRIORITY because she can shield other enemies. Demon pull her sword and knocking it back at her will stun her, leading to a full combo opportunity. If you don't have Aquila when you fight her, Osiris' Pop/Shredder moves rips through her shield fast as well.

Dreamrunner:

*Don't bother attacking them while they are dancing around you and trying to attack you with normal attacks. Use this time to pepper them with charged Shotgun or Kablooey sticky bombs. The explosion will allow you to get free hits on them.

*They are most vulnerable after a teleport slash. This is really the only time I would suggest NOT to use the Prop to parry it because they recover about as fast as you recover from your Prop. It's best to just Demon dodge the teleport slash and then grab them or just go in with Angel dodge to go ham with minimal time lost. If you want to go for a parry do it with an attack that will recover fast but also has enough active frames like a Helm Breaker.

Butcher:

*Stand far away from them and wait for them to throw their chainsaws as projectiles. Use Prop to parry them back and it will stun them. You can use this stun time to charge up a full Eryx launcher and it will allow you to juggle them. Note that you cannot latch on to them mid-air like you can against Tyrants so you need to be a bit more flexible with your air combos.

Harpies:

*A Shotgun to their face rips their feathers in one shot. After this you can start a full combo on them just be wary of their shield explosion attack. Note that while you can't Demon pull them normally you can still Angel pull towards then and deliver a Shotgun to the face.

Red and Blue Knights:

*Blue enemy can be stunned by parrying his ice attack back at him with Prop. Red enemy can be stunned by just pulling his shield back and he will kneel over. You can use Round Trip to keep the Blue enemy in place while you go ham on the red enemy.

Ghost and Blood Rage:

*Round Trip stun lock the Ghost Rage and start attacking the Blood Rage. You want to kill the Red one first because it's easier to parry the Blue/Ghost Rage when he does the Barrel roll attack. The Barrel roll attack will start coming frequently when one of them dies and you want to parry this as it will leave them stunned for a long time. Use this time to charge up a Raze or a Tornado.

ArjanN

Well it's really Platinum games because DmC IS on Steam.

Revengeance needs to come out already so Konami can start telling someone to make the PC version.

I'm also kind of surprised Namco never ended up bringing any Ninja Gaiden to PC, considering they've been ported to everything under the sun...twice.

Gbraga

That's too lame for me. Every boss has a Parry -> Stun -> Go ham window in the game, it's just a matter of figuring it out. Even Bob has it but his pattern is more Parry laser boxes -> Slam the red circle things -> Go ham.

You can parry Barbas? Didn't know that.

With the Mission 14 boss you can
use the followup punch to the Angel Lift to knock him down.

Top Bottom