• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Ein Bear

Costume pack is up on the UK PSN store for anyone interested - costs £3.19

Been holding off on my DMD run to play as classic Dante.

jett

D-Member
I I like Neo and Dark Dante better than DMC3 Dante. He just doesn't fit in this game. And dat manbra...yeah.

The truth hurts, eh?

I feel completely meh about the story in this game, especially the endgame, so no, it doesn't "hurt" at all. But the only thing that guy does is hate and troll this game in this OT and every time DmC is brought up anywhere. I don't know about you but hanging around a thread about a game you actively dislike seems like psychotic behavior to me.

Jawmuncher

I think Classic Dante looks by far the best out of all the costumes available.

I personally really like neo dante.
The picture they used doesn't do the costume justice. Looks much better in motion. Classic Dante is good, though him having the same face basically sort of bothers me.

Anteater

I like the tank top dante, he just looks weird with a coat, not sure why, it could just be the animations and the way he wears it, rather it be something different than playing some guy cosplaying dante with a wig.

Neo dante seems cool but I don't get it with the inferior ps3 version.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I like the tank top dante, he just looks weird with a coat, not sure why, it could just be the animations and the way he wears it, rather it be something different than playing some guy cosplaying dante with a wig.

I think DmC Dante's coat is just bad. It looks like a garbage bag.

Tokubetsu

I think the problem with the coat is they were going for this ill fitting punk style and it doesn't really work. They should have given him a coat that actually hung on his shoulders properly instead of the awkward almost off my back look.

Jawmuncher

Glad someone else agrees.

I think DmC Dante's coat is just bad. It looks like a garbage bag.

Yeah I don't dig the jacket at all way to baggy.

daniels

So after playing this game...WTF i don’t get it ...i really don’t get it O_O
Congratulations Ninja Theory you made a average action game at best..
What is everyone raving about? i feel left out :(

Dante's coat looks really bad. I don't know if it's a UE3 thing but the clothing in 4 on PC looked amazingly detailed compared to this. There's something off about the classic Dante coat too.

I rock the tank

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So after playing this game...WTF i don’t get it ...i really don’t get it O_O
Congratulations Ninja Theory you made a average action game at best..
What is everyone raving about? i feel left out :(

Looks and runs great. Plays great. Fun to hit enemies over the head with metal sticks. "Average action game" might be an apt description, in the sense that there has been like 5 action games ( of this style/genre ) this entire generation and DmC fits right there among them. Not the best and certainly not the worst.

We should definitely keep throwing the word "average" around like some kind of cheeky disparagement . Name a game with better combat of this style outside of Bayo, DMC and NG. I'd love to play that game.

daniels

Looks and runs great. Plays great. Fun to hit enemies over the head with metal sticks. "Average action game" might be an apt description, in the sense that there has been like 5 action games ( of this style/genre ) this entire generation and DmC fits right there among them. Not the best and certainly not the worst.

Yeah maybe you are right but I was expecting so MUCH more after all the 8,9 and even "perfect" scores in the reviews. I mean give me a break EVERY single Boss fight was bad, boring, to easy and got constantly Interrupted with useless, meaningless, tiring, mediocre and stupid cut scenes. The worst offender even being the last Boss! You cant even touch him without getting interrupted and thus constantly dissolving even the little tension that this shit boss could hope to create.. That is not a 9/10 Gamedesign :/ that is stupid.
I could write pages of things that rubbed me the wrong way in this game :(
Eh whatever maybe the next DMC (createt by capcom or Ninja Theory) will be good again.

Anteater

Yeah maybe you are right but I was expecting so MUCH more after all the 8,9 and even "perfect" scores in the reviews. I mean give me a break EVERY single Boss fight was bad, boring, to easy and got constantly Interrupted with useless, meaningless, tiring, mediocre and stupid cut scenes. The the worst offender even being the last Boss! You cant even touch him without getting interrupted and thus constantly dissolving even the little tension that this shit boss could hope to create.. That is not a 9/10 Gamedesign :/ that is stupid.
Eh whatever maybe the next DMC (createt by capcom or Ninja Theory) will be good again.

I could say some of those things for quite a few 8 and 9 games out there :p

nicjac

Finally got around playing this game. I have hardly played any DMC before (played DMC 1 very briefly back when it got released). I am really enjoying it. The combat system seems solid enough without being overwhelming. I thought I would hate new Dante but I actually like the character. Not sure why they tried to portray him as a jerk in all the trailers pre-release.

I also love the originality of some of the environments and boss fights. It has a crazy style that's usually only found in japanese productions. Yes, execution is not always perfect but damn, it's refreshing to see something different for once!

I can see why some wouldn't enjoy is as much as a fans of the series but as a newcomer without any pre-existing knowledge of the mechanics/world, it sure is great. Definitely recommend checking it out if you are on the fence.

daniels

We should definitely keep throwing the word "average" around like some kind of cheeky disparagement . Name a game with better combat of this style outside of Bayo, DMC and NG. I'd love to play that game.

So I should list examples of action games that are actually Good and better than average but I am not allowed to list games that are Good and better than average because of your self imposed rules? Hmm boy am I glad you forgot Godhand :/

Deitus

Yeah maybe you are right but I was expecting so MUCH more after all the 8,9 and even "perfect" scores in the reviews. I mean give me a break EVERY single Boss fight was bad, boring, to easy and got constantly Interrupted with useless, meaningless, tiring, mediocre and stupid cut scenes. The worst offender even being the last Boss! You cant even touch him without getting interrupted and thus constantly dissolving even the little tension that this shit boss could hope to create.. That is not a 9/10 Gamedesign :/ that is stupid.

Don't you know, linear cinematic gameplay, repeatedly interrupted with visceral cutscenes is what modern game design is all about. If you give players freedom to do what they want, and long uninterrupted periods of pure gameplay, your game design is archaic.

I miss the times when games could be games.

Dahbomb

That is exactly what "game design" is to modern game journalists. Lots of set pieces thrown at you with cutscene interruptions and presentation over substance while the game treads along at a pace that isn't really challenging. Why do you think Uncharted wins all those GOTY awards?

Thankfully the game has solid combat and encounters which are fun for the most part (aside from nagging mechanics issues). If the combat wasn't fun I would've stopped playing the game a long time ago and wouldn't even be visiting these threads.

That is exactly what "game design" is to modern game journalists. Lots of set pieces thrown at you with cutscene interruptions and presentation over substance while the game treads along at a pace that isn't really challenging. Why do you think Uncharted wins all those GOTY awards?

Well Uncharted is a "action/adventure" game, having those set-pieces are great for that genre.
DmC doesn't need them, because, well... you should be able to do those set-pieces yourself. Besides the over-the-top cutscenes from DMC3... man I miss those. =(

Demoskinos

I personally really like neo dante.
The picture they used doesn't do the costume justice. Looks much better in motion. Classic Dante is good, though him having the same face basically sort of bothers me.

I had this experience exactly. Looking at the screenshots I thought it was ugly and that I was basically going to buy the pack for the DMC 3 getup. After playing a few levels however I think its a really interesting alternate costume. I think they all look better in motion although the "Dark" Dante costume is still a tad bit of mostly a lazy pallet swap but personally its worth the $4 for the other two.

You gotta be some kind of zen master on SoS. Coloured enemies reach a totally new level of annoying on higher difficulties, especially the blue ones, they take AGES to kill.

Also, Mission 16
in the Tower
isn't getting enough love from a visual perspective I think. Really like what they did there.

I'm pretty sure GAF voted Uncharted 2 for its GOTY of 2009.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The colored enemies are more boring than annoying for me. Blue enemies get locked down with Round Trip, Reds get beat to death by Trinity Smash, repeat for the entire game. It just isn't fun.

Jawmuncher

You gotta be some kind of zen master on SoS. Coloured enemies reach a totally new level of annoying on higher difficulties, especially the blue ones, they take AGES to kill.

Also, Mission 16
in the Tower
isn't getting enough love from a visual perspective I think. Really like what they did there.

Really want to beat SoS for the tank top outfit but those colored enemies are nothing but a pain from everyone in the thread.
I agree level 16 in the tower was amazing. I really liked what they did with it to. Even if the boss isn't great by many people's standards what they did with the boss and setting I really liked. Easily the most memorable for me.

Never had an issue with the colour coded enemies at any difficulty really. It was the Witches and Dreamrunners during SoS and DmD that made me rage.

Anteater

The colored enemies are more boring than annoying for me. Blue enemies get locked down with Round Trip, Reds get beat to death by Trinity Smash, repeat for the entire game. It just isn't fun.

They're kind of annoying on hell and hell, since you want to be safe and not get hit.

Because if you misdodge, well have fun refighting those stupid color guys you just killed again!

Demoskinos

Really want to beat SoS for the tank top outfit but those colored enemies are nothing but a pain from everyone in the thread.
I agree level 16 in the tower was amazing. I really liked what they did with it to. Even if the boss isn't great by many people's standards what they did with the boss and setting I really liked. Easily the most memorable for me.

Its not hard. You've just got to get into a bit of a rhythm and realize how to effectively deal with your situations.

Never had an issue with the colour coded enemies at any difficulty really. It was the Witches and Dreamrunners during SoS and DmD that made me rage.

They're not challenging, they're just tedious. As Chamber says, blues get Round Trip while you hit the reds with Arbiter. They're just shitty enemies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Its not hard. You've just got to get into a bit of a rhythm and realize how to effectively deal with your situations.
Yeah, outside of a few encounters, SOS hasn't been very hard at all. Mission 16 just has Dreamrunners (plural) in seemingly every room.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't think anything in the game is difficult. Even when they just are like LOL DREAMRUNNERS, the camera manipulation goes a long way to neuter everything they try and do. Witches will try to teleport into view a lot and should always be top priority, so instead of crossing the field to them just try and point the view near a corner and have them pop up for you. Otherwise they aren't attacking anyway.

Dahbomb

Nothing in SoS has been hard thus far, I just beat Mission#14. You essentially use the same fundamentals you learned in Nephilim but you just have to get hit less. Main difference in SoS mode is that Angel knights come with shield so you have to crack that open. Let Shredder rip for a while and it will break it. Bosses are taken down in exact same fashion.

Round Trip blue enemies, smash Red enemies with Arbiter... repeat until death.

It's really only Dreamrunners that require you to be on your toes and use strategies on the fly. Alone they are not that hard at all but even with one enemy on screen with them it's a different fight. I take out any other enemy on screen before taking out Dreamrunners.

Coloured enemies reach a totally new level of annoying on higher difficulties, especially the blue ones, they take AGES to kill.
Do you guys have Feed LVL3 on Osiris? Because once you build that up it doesn't take that long to kill them in an air combo. Also Prop n Shredder while under Feed effect does quite a lot of damage as well. Nothing of Aquila does good damage, it's mostly for Buy In and Round Trip or throw in a weapon swap occasionally for variety purposes during air combos.

I am really digging Osiris more on harder difficulties. The Prop parry is always useful, the Double Up allows you to keep launching enemies to the stratosphere for safe combos, Shredder breaks Blue enemy shields and does good damage while building good style meter, Raze fully charged can launch armored enemies, Rake allows you to maintain height (and throw in enemy step Rake repeated for lots of damage very fast if you want to cheese).

I actually do think they did a good job in balancing the weapons... I find myself using all the weapons from time to time. Arbiter does a ton of damage but it's very unsafe to just be throwing it out willy nilly. Eryx doesn't do enough damage unless you start charging it to max level (which does outrageous damage). Aquila has insane crowd control but low damage. Rebellion out damages Angel weapons easily and it's good to throw in an Aerial Rage, Trillion Stab (builds a shit ton of meter) and Overdrive (safe, good meter build, long distance attack that does good damage). I don't use my guns often because I am playing on keyboard and charging them up is an impossibility during combat because keys start locking up but guns are also useful if you use them.

Dahbomb

Do you lose the Feed bonus if you swap out Osiris for something else, or do you only lose it when you get hit?
You definitely don't lose it if you swap in between weapons at least because I do combos with it all the time. But it loses fast so don't stay in another weapon too long.

One thing I would like to add on Osiris is that Feed mechanic basically works like your style meter. Not in that variating moves build it faster but the following things you should know about it:

A) Hitting multiple targets fill it faster
B) Using moves that hit fast and hit a lot build it faster
C) When you reach Feed level and then you lose it... you don't default the Feed to 0. Meaning if say you lose Feed for one second, you can actually build it back a lot faster if you continue using it. Thinking of it this way... to get Feed you need S rank. If you don't use Osiris for a while that rank drops to A or B but if you start using it again the Feed builds back up from A/B back to S... not from D or lower.

One of my favourite things I found out during a Dreamrunner fight was that Demon Dodge works in the air. You know when you press the dodge button in air how you basically stay stationary but dodge the attacks? A Dreamrunner blocked my aerial combo and tried to hit me but I DDd that shit. I wasn't even aware.

Do you guys have Feed LVL3 on Osiris? Because once you build that up it doesn't take that long to kill them in an air combo. Also Prop n Shredder while under Feed effect does quite a lot of damage as well. Nothing of Aquila does good damage, it's mostly for Buy In and Round Trip or throw in a weapon swap occasionally for variety purposes during air combos.

Good point, Osiris is by far my least used weapon in the game. I will try that next time.

Anteater

They're still boring to fight with fully charged osiris, since you still need to do the same combos to charge them up as quick as possible.

I just space out and spam air combos on those shits.

I like using every weapon in this game. Is there one that people just feel is the most useless? This goes across guns and melee btw. I like the shotgun and Kablooey

Top Bottom