• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

So the new patch on Steam REMOVED rumble or it's just a bug that some people are having problems with? I noticed it missing tonight so I hope it was only a temporary thing.
I should have been in bed already but you made me curious. The rumble is gone from battles but if you go to the
furnace of souls
level you feel the environment rumble still.

I'm surprised I played through the last few chapters like that and didn't notice but hopefully it get's fixed soon.

That's like one of the biggest anime trope ever and I am ashamed to say that NT was the one to use it before a DMC game. This is basically the stand "you are you" reply by Kat. I mean no shit... we as the viewer don't need to be reminded of who the main character is nor does Dante himself. The whole ending is just such a wash but that line really seals the deal on it.

I think you are completely wrong about the "biggest anime trope ever".
I didn't care for what Kat said at all, and honestly she should've kept her mouth shut. But when Dante get's betrayed by Virgil's intentions, his whole world goes for a spin. When he is forced to defeat him, almost killing him and at the end when his brother leaves to become a demon essentially, Dante says what he feels. It's not anime at all, even if only because the delivery completely blows away the shit you normally see in anime. When he says he doesn't know what he is anymore is because his brother just revealed to be something completely different from him, even though just moments ago Dante thought he wasn't alone in the world, his brother was like him.

So no. The line was delivered at the exact moment it needed to be delivered, it was like a brief moment of despair. In an anime you would get a freaking monologue explaining what the character was feeling about the situation. It's normally weird and corny and juvenile. Here it was a real expression of the moment Dante was going through. And it was the delivery and the context and the timing that made it resonate.

ironcreed

Banned
And credits. Ninja Theory knocked it out of the park, if you ask me. Could not stop playing until I beat it tonight.
Final showdown with Virgil leading into the sequel was great. Don't see how even the die-hards could hate that.

Dahbomb

Man I don't want to get into a lengthy discussion over the mediocre story of DmC because it usually ends with a spoiler slipping as well. I will just say I disagree with what is said in the spoiler tags mostly because of how the story and characters were built up until then. For a more in depth look at the plot and characters someone made a massive post on the story that is worth reading.

And credits. Ninja Theory knocked it out of the park, if you ask me. Could not stop playing until I beat it tonight.
Final showdown with Virgil leading into the sequel was great. Don't see how even the die-hards could hate that.
Because it was done much, much better before. It's not even in the same ballpark.

I don't think the story needs any sort of thorough analysis, and as I've said there was a lack of character development.

I was referring to a very specific moment that is very well done.

Started playing DMC4 again tonight and it is better then I remember it to be. Kinda funny how a "sequel" can make you feel that way.

Also lol @ $4 for a skin pack.

Dahbomb

PC people got it for free on preorder.

And yea a good portion of the cutscenes are prerendered so you are constantly switching between DmC Dante and your equipped skin.

ironcreed

Banned
Man I don't want to get into a lengthy discussion over the mediocre story of DmC because it usually ends with a spoiler slipping as well. I will just say I disagree with what is said in the spoiler tags mostly because of how the story and characters were built up until then. For a more in depth look at the plot and characters someone made a massive post on the story that is worth reading.

Because it was done much, much better before. It's not even in the same ballpark.

Funny that, I was never a big fan of the series before with the fixed camera and thought Dante was way too cheesy. The gameplay was of course great, but it is in no way bad here for what it is. Even at 30FPS. Overall, I like this direction much better.

Dahbomb

Funny that, I was never a big fan of the series before with the fixed camera and thought Dante was way too cheesy. The gameplay was of course great, but it is in no way bad here for what it is. Even at 30FPS. Overall, I like this direction much better.
No I was talking about your spoiler tag comment about how die hards wouldn't hate that part. Again it's spoiler territory so I will not expand on it but it's a massive downgrade from what we have experienced before and comes across as a huge disappointment.

ironcreed

Banned
No I was talking about your spoiler tag comment about how die hards wouldn't hate that part. Again it's spoiler territory so I will not expand on it but it's a massive downgrade from what we have experienced before and comes across as a huge disappointment.

Hey, to each their own. Great game for me.

Demoskinos

I have Ni No Kuni and other games like Yakuza Dead Souls sitting here waiting to be played and instead I'm 87 hours deep on DmC on my 7th play through of the game. I don't know what it is but I really really like this game.

On today's DmC capcom-unity stream Greg heavily implied the PC patch was someone pulling the trigger too early and that usually patches are formally announced somewhere like unity. They didn't seem to know anything about the patch or whether its coming to consoles.

He also called out Sessler's review and questioned how much he'd played oooooh shit.

Is anyone feeling differences in the scoring system beyond rank degradation? It just feels slightly easier to climb ranks in general despite the nerfs to demon dodge. They must have counter-balanced it because making it significantly harder to get style points is as good as saying "well the top positions on the leaderboards are permanent now, enjoy". If NT aren't going to come out and lay everything out it needs video comparison.

At least it's not as bad as what they did to Rock Band Blitz.

I know this is also a tangential point, but still.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

He was talking about the final fight. It's very very weak. Probably the best of a string of lackluster bosses.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
In case anyone had been holding off on buying this until it was on a Steam sale....

£12.99 for a Steam key. I've used the site before, it's totally legit and well recommended. No idea how they've managed to get the price that low though.

CD-key reseller sites aren't allowed here on GAF. There's a reason they can squeeze prices that low and that's due to exploiting regional pricing and sometimes even shadier stuff.

Hixx

I use SimplyGames a lot (they are brilliant for pre-orders) but sometimes I do wonder where they get their hands on keys... They were selling XCom for £12 too in November or something, no other websites come close to them.

I'm three missions in and I really should have selected the harder difficulty. The game dramatically introducing a new, tough-looking enemy and me killing it in a single combo without it even getting an attack in is just funny.

Other than that, the reaction to this game is baffling at this point. Series veterans freaking out over what is basically Devil May Cry, but easier? Why? And where did all these people come from who never liked the series and are suddenly way into this one? How?

I use SimplyGames a lot (they are brilliant for pre-orders) but sometimes I do wonder where they get their hands on keys... They were selling XCom for £12 too in November or something, no other websites come close to them.

What do you think? The first impulse is usually the right one.

Is that costume pack on PSN just an unlock to get the costumes early or can you unlock those costumes by finishing certain objectives in the game?

right, a cd key site that sells retail console games and hardware and has been going for as long as i can remember....ok

They're an online store that clearly does the cd-key reselling business on the side. They still procure the keys through all the unsavoury means that gaf bans those sites because of.

bee

They're an online store that clearly does the cd-key reselling business on the side. They still procure the keys through all the unsavoury means that gaf bans those sites because of.

your evidence of this is? and if that's the case, please ban game.co.uk etc that also sell steam keys rather than the physical goods

Is that costume pack on PSN just an unlock to get the costumes early or can you unlock those costumes by finishing certain objectives in the game?

I'm pretty sure the three costumes in the pack are unlockable in game. Classic Dante is unlockable by completing Dante Must Die mode, for instance (at least, that's what I've read).

That fight is indicative of the entire game. Terrible interstitial cutscenes in between a lackluster boss fight that is a poor mans version of the last boss from DMC3. Pretty much sums up the whole game, a poor mans DMC3/DMC4.

jett

D-Member
That fight is indicative of the entire game. Terrible interstitial cutscenes in between a lackluster boss fight that is a poor mans version of the last boss from DMC3. Pretty much sums up the whole game, a poor mans DMC3/DMC4.

Do us all a favor and

DuaVoPr.gif

your evidence of this is? and if that's the case, please ban game.co.uk etc that also sell steam keys rather than the physical goods

Do game.co.uk sell CD keys for less than their wholesale value, have their business registered to a forwarding address and exclusively trade in CD-keys for random unrelated big-box retail games with no DD-only products? Do you work for this company or what? They are stripped retail products from an eastern-european country with low prices.

Domstercool

Do game.co.uk sell CD keys for less than their wholesale value, have their business registered to a forwarding address and exclusively trade in CD-keys for random unrelated big-box retail games with no DD-only products? Do you work for this company or what? They are stripped retail products from an eastern-european country with low prices.

Well GMG have some crazy prices with their discount codes......... with discounts and then another 25% discount. It would be better to investigate rather than just throwing out the final judgement first, I feel.

Gbraga

I'm not sure if
Mundus
got a buff in the patch because it feels like the hitboxes on his punch attacks are fucking huge now.

I'm not the only one then! I died a couple of times after the patch in the last few missions, but since nobody else talked about a difficulty change I just assumed I was playing terribly for some reason.

I'm not the only one then! I died a couple of times after the patch in the last few missions, but since nobody else talked about a difficulty change I just assumed I was playing terribly for some reason.

I don't remember ever getting hit by his awful telegraphed moves until now. First time I jumped in on him I got ko'd by the triple attack lol. I could just be tripping because it wasn't consistent. I was dodging at roughly the same point in his attacks and sometimes I got hit and others I didn't. I dunno

Anyway, DMD down! Camera becomes BS when you've got rooms full of high priority enemies mixed with trash/other high priority enemies. Especially annoying is having a witch surrounded by harpies + other goons and watching the camera do everything you don't want it to do. Shit needs to be nerfed

Mr big dick
got murked in the last mission. I didn't realize it was possible to demon dodge pretty much everything he does so easily. Took like 2 minutes.
I need more power

bee

gotta love this board lol, still no proof or evidence though, greenmangaming was a good one to bring up

You have to be kidding. Where's your evidence? Do you even understand what this is about?

"Oh they've been around for a while and sell physical games too." You're right, they must be getting their CD keys through completely agreeable means, and then selling them below cost for some reason.

Top Bottom