• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

SOLDIER

I don't think the listed improvements favor one setup over the other, aside from the already stated single gpu config, and the fact that the % probably start at the HD7XXX series and slowly scale down in effectiveness the older you get.

You're setup sounds a bit struggled, though. Mind posting specs?

ATM, I'm playing on an ol' Macbook Pro with a C2D@2.4/Nvidia 8600GTM config. I average 45-55fps on a 720p/medium--Vysync on--no tearing.

I'm entirely impressed with what QLOC did.

Specs:

----------------------------------
01 - Operating System

0101 - Operating System : Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
0102 - Language : English (Regional Setting: English)
0103 - BIOS : Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
0104 - Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
0105 - Memory : 4096MB RAM
0106 - Available OS Memory : 4094MB RAM
0107 - Page File : 2834MB used, 5352MB available
0108 - Windows Dir : C:\Windows
0109 - DirectX Version : DirectX 11
0110 - DX Setup Parameters : Not found
0111 - User DPI Setting : Using System DPI
0112 - System DPI Setting : 96 DPI (100 percent)
0113 - DWM DPI Scaling : Disabled
0114 - DxDiag Version : 6.01.7601.17514

02 - Processor

0201 - Caption : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz x2 ~3000MHz
0202 - Current Clock Speed : 3000MHz

03 - Video Adapter

0301 - Card Name : ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

I think I found a good middle ground with the framerate, using the in-game v-sync. I'm open to further suggestions though.

I have played Devil May Cry 3 and 4. I wasn't in love with DMC3, but it was a good game. DMC 4 was simply eh, I lost interest in it pretty quickly.

I really enjoy the look, OST, and feel of this new game. I might even say more than DMC3.

DMC1 > DMC3 > DmC > DMC4 > DMC2

I like all of the games in the series, and I'm a fan of all (Yep, ALL.) of the series, but it's a damn shame they never actually made a true DMC1 sequel.

KePoW

Banned
Did this patch disable controller vibration for anyone? I'm using a 360 controller for Windows, and it worked fine before this patch.

But now there's no vibration, no matter what setting I try in in the DmC options. Easy way to test is by holding down a charged pistol shot, it should vibrate for each charge level.

iavi

I'm a 1920x1080 whore, but I have been considering dropping to this for a few games if the visual downgrade isn't too jarring.

The responsiveness with this genre outweighs everything, imo. It really doesn't look to bad at all, depending on your monitor.

Did this patch disable controller vibration for anyone? I'm using a 360 controller for Windows, and it worked fine before this patch.

But now there's no vibration, no matter what setting I try in in the DmC options. Easy way to test is by holding down a charged pistol shot, it should vibrate for each charge level.

Same issue, wired 360 controller.

Also the ghost/blood rages regularly go transparent post-patch when they didn't before. Seems like a bug because they flicker out of the transparent state a bit. I don't know.

I'm having a hell of a time trying to buy the DLC on Steam; I add it to my cart and it disappears. Sometimes it doesn't even show up... Edit: And now it works, weird.

Loving the game though.

Same issue, wired 360 controller.

Also the ghost/blood rages regularly go transparent post-patch when they didn't before. Seems like a bug because they flicker out of the transparent state a bit. I don't know.

Aren't they supposed to be transparent when you aren't in the correct mode? Or do you mean they flicker in and out even when you are in the right mode?

jett

D-Member
Oh hell rumble is gone. I guess this is sort of why Sony/MS do QA on patches. :p I wonder what else is broken.

Btw Mission 4 on SOS just surprised me because the enemy configuration is completely different from the demo.

jett

D-Member
btw Dahbomb I just tested it and round trip does come out a different color when you just release the charge. It's pinkish.

Teknoman

What did the patch do anyway/are there any patch notes?

Apparently I just downloaded one for Walking Dead and Sleeping Dogs on a related note.

Hmm that sounds like a glitch. I'd recommend you just die and start over. So his health doesn't go down at all? When I fought him, his health went down and he would summon after a certain point and regen.

It was definitely a glitch. He summoned the clone several times on our first fight and I think I destroyed it at one point and then Virgil just stood up without getting his energy back. He was down to a sliver and he wouldn't kneel down again. I restarted the fight a beat it in about four minutes. Pretty weak, even on Nephilim.

The game turned out really great. It's a shame that most of the boss fights were so easy but I guess that was part of the plan of making the game more accessible. Hopefully Capcom let's NT take the training wheels off for the next game.

I like that the game let's you carry over your skills to the missions on higher difficulty though, I always found it such a drag to have to start from scratch just to play at higher difficulties in past DMC and NG games (Bayo let's you carry over too doesn't it?).

Im just now hitting Mission 6. Game is amazing (loved Enslaved, enjoyed Heavenly Sword, love the DMC series).

My only issue is facing multiple enemies that require different attacks tied to not having a lock on button. Outside that, love it. PC version is amazing, and that's not a knock on the XB360 version.

Teknoman

Honestly, the platinum love needs to slow down. They've made two fantastic games--Bayo and Vanquish. That's it. No surprise being that both of them were products of veteran auteur directors.

Everything else--madworld, anarchy reigns--janky as hell, just not that fun. And Rising already seems to play worse than many of its contemporaries.

I'm looking forward to TW101 and Bayo 2 like nothing else, but seriously.

I dunno...Anarchy is pretty fun with a nice team/small match, and Rising is fun enough to play the demo multiple times. For me anyway.

iavi

I'd rather get a patch super fast that fixes, adds, and breaks, then another patch that fixes what was broken with the previous patch--all in the span of a couple days, than wait 2-4months for a patch that's gone through a QA process, and still has the potential to break shit.

Lijik

Pretty weak, even on Nephilim.

Yeah, I liked the fight a whole lot but I had the easiest time with it. It felt like a lot of my Dreamrunner strategies carried over and I was able to beat him in one go. It probably didnt hurt that Vergil doesnt have any attacks I had to jump over which is reguarly what fucked me up in every other boss
Or... does he? Fuck I dont remember now. Im pretty sure he didnt.

Dahbomb

Game has some pretty indepth stat tracking that I just noticed looking over some of the menu stuff. Time spend in Demon/Angel/Human mode, number of strikes with certain weapons etc.

btw Dahbomb I just tested it and round trip does come out a different color when you just release the charge. It's pinkish.
Man this sort of thing is impossible to check in the Training mode because everything is so fucking whitish. I checked it on a mission with a different background color and yea it's there but very very hard to see. There's a slightly pinkish center color when you do it. All this time I have been trying to do it in missions where the color backgrounds are all fucked up.

That's how it's supposed to be. If they are transparent it means you are in the wrong mode. In the pic you provided you are in Human mode.... I can tell because Dante's eyes are white they should be blue if you are in angel form.

Just finished it.

There is room to grow, I think certainly there should be a next step in terms of the way the combat and the environments are incorporated together. I think Ninja Theory has some work to do on bosses, I think they were largely a bit "unimaginative", contrasting a lot with the visual elements at hand.

I really like the story as an origin story, but I wish it was a bit more fleshed out character wise, and think there was room for more developed characters and for more characters.

The final battle was awesome, and it was also one of the best parts of the story. When Dante says "I don't know who I am anymore", for the first time in any DmC game it felt like Dante was a real character, and added a lot to the event that had just happened.

Ninja Theory are getting better with each game, so I hope there's a future for them.

Yeah, I liked the fight a whole lot but I had the easiest time with it. It felt like a lot of my Dreamrunner strategies carried over and I was able to beat him in one go. It probably didnt hurt that Vergil doesnt have any attacks I had to jump over which is reguarly what fucked me up in every other boss
Or... does he? Fuck I dont remember know. Im pretty sure he didnt.

He has those Yamato slice projectiles but you can side/demon dodge those. I mostly waited until he tried his overhead attack and then demon dodged/counter attacked. I spent so much time fighting him when he glitched that I could pretty much see all of his attacks coming, even when he dopplegangered.

It is a fun fight though, and unlike the Credo fight in DMC4 you can jump right into this one any any other that you enjoyed. I think that NT did this with every major boss fight but the hunter and I really like it. It's like building your own boss gauntlet if you want to.
I really like the story as an origin story, but I wish it was a bit more fleshed out character wise, and think there was room for more developed characters and for more characters.

The final battle was awesome, and it was also one of the best parts of the story. When Dante says "I don't know who I am anymore", for the first time in any DmC game it felt like Dante was a real character, and added a lot to the event that had just happened.

Ninja Theory are getting better with each game, so I hope there's a future for them.
NT has a strong reputation for their storytelling so I was kind of expecting better writing all around but I do like the character development of Dante a lot. DmC Dante turned out to be the most likeable Dante of all the games (shocking when you consider the initial reaction to his reveal years ago) and they did a great job of making Dante, Virgil and Kat seem like real people in this far fetched world.

Mundus and crew couldn't have possibly been more cookie-cutter though...

That's how it's supposed to be. If they are transparent it means you are in the wrong mode. In the pic you provided you are in Human mode.... I can tell because Dante's eyes are white they should be blue if you are in angel form.
Also he has Rebellion on his back :p

It's weird because it didn't happen properly before this patch. I clearly remember because it was hard as fuck to tell the difference between ghost rages and normal ones (very light blue vs white) until a non-angel weapon passed through them.

No wonder I kept messing up the delay combos, I got pretty used to the rumble. It's a pretty great addition now that I think about it.

There's also a sound cue and a visual flash on all the weapons which lets you learn the timing and then helps to subtly drum that in. It's a really great addition to delay combos.

jett

D-Member
I didn't notice before but "standard" white haired Donte looks pale as fuck. Goulish even. I think I'll stick with the other costumes :p

Dahbomb

Alright so the Revenant probably has a just charge on its last charge (LVL2) but if there's a visual indication I can't see for shit. The training mode is useless for this sort of stuff.

I have been trying to find one for the various Eryx moves but if there is I can't see the visual change... it all looks the same to me.

That's like one of the biggest anime trope ever and I am ashamed to say that NT was the one to use it before a DMC game. This is basically the stand "you are you" reply by Kat. I mean no shit... we as the viewer don't need to be reminded of who the main character is nor does Dante himself. The whole ending is just such a wash but that line really seals the deal on it.

Just finished it.

There is room to grow, I think certainly there should be a next step in terms of the way the combat and the environments are incorporated together. I think Ninja Theory has some work to do on bosses, I think they were largely a bit "unimaginative", contrasting a lot with the visual elements at hand.

Careful with the spoilers, you just got me good with this one. Ugh. I added in tags for the quote.

Use spoiler tags, or am I in the wrong thread for DmC?

Looking through the .ini files for a fix to the rumble issue there are some interesting variables that may point to Vergil's controls and/or some cut features. Dunno if they're new.

Possible DLC spoilers?

LOCKON = NTB_NONE
DOPPELGANGER_HUMAN_MODE = NTB_DPADUP
DOPPELGANGER_ANGEL_MODE = NTB_DPADLEFT
DOPPELGANGER_DEMON_MODE = NTB_DPADRIGHT
DOPPELGANGER_TOGGLE_DELAY = NTB_DPADDOWN
CYCLE_RANGED_TARGET = NTB_LEFT_STICK

edit: Thought they might be new because these were some of the files changed in the latest patch

Dahbomb

Looking through the .ini files for a fix to the rumble issue there are some interesting variables that may point to Vergil's controls and/or some cut features. Dunno if they're new.

Possible DLC spoilers?

LOCKON = NTB_NONE
Old, someone already put this info up already.

Possible DLC spoilers?

LOCKON = NTB_NONE

Coloured enemies confirmed

Fuck

Careful with the spoilers, you just got me good with this one. Ugh. I added in tags for the quote.

Use spoiler tags, or am I in the wrong thread for DmC?

Dude come on.

Is "Fuck you" in the title a spoiler? Because he says it in the game. All I "spoiled" was a phrase that can't be spoiled without proper context.

I didn't describe anything else, so you are going in pretty much blind.

Ya, that's a pretty brutal spoiler.

What the hell. Really? Holy shit people, come on. A phrase without context, with no names in it, with no revelation is a spoiler now.

You have the new patch?
Yep, all 1.6GBs of it. I was at
the soul furnace
the last time I played before the patch and afterwards the first thing I noticed was the rumbling from the level. I would have noticed if it was missing from battles but I'll check again tomorrow just to make sure I'm not losing it.
Bob barbas was a greatly portrayed Bill o Reily
That was shit easy though and V for Vendetta did it better. That was my favorite section and boss fight in the entire game though.

Korigama

That's like one of the biggest anime trope ever and I am ashamed to say that NT was the one to use it before a DMC game. This is basically the stand "you are you" reply by Kat. I mean no shit... we as the viewer don't need to be reminded of who the main character is nor does Dante himself. The whole ending is just such a wash but that line really seals the deal on it.
To be honest,
it seemed like a recycling of the final scene with Nero and Kyrie back in DMC4, down to the assurance of "you know you're you". So technically, NT weren't the first.

Is anyone feeling differences in the scoring system beyond rank degradation? It just feels slightly easier to climb ranks in general despite the nerfs to demon dodge. They must have counter-balanced it because making it significantly harder to get style points is as good as saying "well the top positions on the leaderboards are permanent now, enjoy". If NT aren't going to come out and lay everything out it needs video comparison.

Dahbomb

Oh forgot about that one (DMC4s story is often a jumbled mess in my head). Yea OK NT weren't the first but still that's a bad trope to use.

Is anyone feeling differences in the scoring system beyond rank degradation? It just feels slightly easier to climb ranks in general despite the nerfs to demon dodge. They must have counter-balanced it because making it significantly harder to get style points is as good as saying "well the top positions on the leaderboards are permanent now, enjoy". If NT aren't going to come out and lay everything out it needs video comparison.
Pretty sure everyone at the top of the leaderboards have hacked scores and shit so it doesn't even matter.

KorrZ

I love this game. It's amazing to me that on DMD (my 4th playthrough) I'm still enjoying every single combat encounter and learning new tricks for enemies and ways to mix up my style.

I just
destroyed Bob Barbus so fast that I couldn't even get SSS on style even though I had an SSS multiplier the whole time

Lijik

He has those Yamato slice projectiles but you can side/demon dodge those. I mostly waited until he tried his overhead attack and then demon dodged/counter attacked. I spent so much time fighting him when he glitched that I could pretty much see all of his attacks coming, even when he dopplegangered.

Oh yeah thats right! I always just used the dodges on those.

-Mikey-

So the new patch on Steam REMOVED rumble or it's just a bug that some people are having problems with? I noticed it missing tonight so I hope it was only a temporary thing.

Dahbomb

Frost Armored Knights shield can be destroyed by Prop n Shredder if you get it off or Tornado. It's best if you get above and behind them then Rake them up. Fully charged Raze lvl2 launches them as well.

Side note but Angel weapons build absolute shit meter when trying to air combo a solo enemy. You have to bring it down to use moves like Prop, Tornado and Round Trip to build decent style points against Angel enemies.

Whereas with Demon weapons you can just mash their stock combo and it will get you to S at least. Charged Eryx moves especially at maxed levels are very good for both meter and damage.

One thing I have noted with Angel weapons is that there is no way to fast fall with them, a problem that comes up when you are trying to combo a blue enemy. Demon weapons come down very hard.

Top Bottom