• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Gbraga

Started a SoS run, and I'm not sure if I want to keep playing, even though I really liked my Nephilim run. 3 Frost Knights in Mission 1 at the same time? Get the fuck outta here

Where are the no color-coded enemies mods?

Dahbomb

Started a SoS run, and I'm not sure if I want to keep playing, even though I really liked my Nephilim run. 3 Frost Knights in Mission 1 at the same time? Get the fuck outta here

That would make the game even easier.

Shredder is really good if you keep it going on full Feed (you have to hold it down). I didn't feel Osiris was worth the trouble until I maxed it out and started using it more.

Gbraga

That would make the game even easier.

I don't give a damn, the game is already borderline braindead when it comes to difficulty, I just want to get rid of this shit. Such a terrible design decision.

If such bullshit is what it takes to make the game challenging, I'd rather have a stupidly easy game.

Dahbomb

I don't give a damn, the game is already borderline braindead when it comes to difficulty, I just want to get rid of this shit. Such a terrible design decision.

If such bullshit is what it takes to make the game challenging, I'd rather have a stupidly easy game.
I don't mind them much now because they force me to use moves on weapons that I wouldn't have otherwise. Like Raze, Prop/Shredder, Tornado etc. They are still a bad design choice, they should just make colored enemies have color armor that breaks once you use the correct weapon on them for some time. At least let us use guns and Rebellion on them.

I have been so used to DMC3/DMC4 game play with moves like Prop/Shredder and Million Stab doing poor damage that's it crazy how much damage they do in DmC relatively speaking.

jett

D-Member

Huh, what's the problem. Demon Dodge + Osiris.

Having fun with SoS, I've actually died a few times! Also on my way to getting 100% completion on every level.

Dahbomb

That doesn't do enough damage and style gain without Feed. It's really Rebellion and Demon weapons that get substantial boost from demon dodge.

Also you can't take advantage of Demon Dodge when you are air comboing a Blue enemy in the stratosphere, you just have to make sure you build up that Feed otherwise it takes forever.

Gbraga

I don't mind them much now because they force me to use moves on weapons that I wouldn't have otherwise. Like Raze, Prop/Shredder, Tornado etc.

I have been so used to DMC3/DMC4 game play with moves like Prop/Shredder and Million Stab doing poor damage that's it crazy how much damage they do in DmC relatively speaking.

Well, I use them all the time on regular enemies, maybe that's why it bothers me so much. The only move that I don't really use is the double tap forward + /\ with Aquila, I hate the animation so I don't really use it. Otherwise I pretty much use everything.

Having fun with SoS, I've actually died a few times! Also on my way to getting 100% completion on every level.
Why people keep assuming that when someone complains about it it's because they're having trouble? They're not difficult, they're just boring and the way the game limits your moveset is just dumb.

Dahbomb

Double Tap Forward + /\ with Aquila is pretty useless anyway especially at LVL1. If you want to pull enemies up and start air combo, just do aerial Buy Ins. The range on that thing is absurd.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I tend to forget I have double tap forward move in this game with exception of the demon weapons. Is the one for osiris any good?

Dahbomb

I tend to forget I have double tap forward move in this game with exception of the demon weapons. Is the one for osiris any good?
It does surprising amount of style gain if you do it on a crowd. But I feel like Stinger -> Trillion Stab is better and more versatile. I sometimes go into crowds with it for the swag but it's not really all that useful.

Snake Eyes and Flush are really good though. Snake Eyes fully charged might be the most powerful single hitting attack in the game and Flush is just very good at crowd clearing or even stunning some powerful enemies like Dreamrunner (if you land it, he likes to parry it a lot). Snakes Eyes' back dash animation can be jump/dodge cancelled for extra swag.

Gbraga

The range is pretty good, is like a wide-area Stinger. It's a good get-in when you have a group of enemies standing there.

And man, you don't use Trillion Stabs? That move is so cool :C

I love using Trillion Stabs and either Gun Charge Cancelling or buffering another double tap with one ebony&ivory shot and then pressing /\ again to do another one, like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2WJE-ld944

jett

D-Member
I have completely ignored E&I and Kablooey so far. Once I got the shotgun it was all over. That thing is beastly.

That doesn't do enough damage and style gain without Feed. It's really Rebellion and Demon weapons that get substantial boost from demon dodge.

Also you can't take advantage of Demon Dodge when you are air comboing a Blue enemy in the stratosphere, you just have to make sure you build up that Feed otherwise it takes forever.

Feed is gained quickly and its passive so I didn't think it was worth mentioning. In SoS you should already have that maxxed out anyway. I haven't actually calculated the damage boost from DD, so I can't say, but it seems good enough on the angel weapons. What I have found is that the strongest angel move is probably prop/shredder, that works great on the blue knights.

Why people keep assuming that when someone complains about it it's because they're having trouble? They're not difficult, they're just boring and the way the game limits your moveset is just dumb.

Well then. I try to make my own fun with the colored enemies, mixing up the angel or demon weapons and such. When there are red and blue enemies in a room I'm constantly zipping from one to the other. Sometimes it is annoying though. The dreamrunners annoy me more, I'm just waiting around for them to teleport so I shoot them with charged revenant/grab them/slice/repeat. They just love their parrying. :p

Anteater

fuck the poison floor and flying angel shits in hell and hell, that is all.

I can't see the poison ground when they burn the ground red yo.

Edit: target the angel instead of the dude slightly off to the right so you don't fall on the poison, dante pls.

of course, just need to corner them to where the door is, success!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The range is pretty good, is like a wide-area Stinger. It's a good get-in when you have a group of enemies standing there.

And man, you don't use Trillion Stabs? That move is so cool :C

I love using Trillion Stabs and either Gun Charge Cancelling or buffering another double tap with one ebony&ivory shot and then pressing /\ again to do another one, like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2WJE-ld944

I only really use Trillion Stab when I'm already at SSS, same with Aquila Whirlwind. This is pretty neat though, didn't know you could do that.

Gbraga

Well then. I try to make my own fun with the colored enemies, mixing up the angel or demon weapons and such. When there are red and blue enemies in a room I'm constantly zipping from one to the other. Sometimes it is annoying though. The dreamrunners annoy me more, I'm just waiting around for them to teleport so I shoot them with charged revenant/grab them/slice/repeat. They just love their parrying. :p

Don't wait around for their teleport! Just throw some shit at them like Flush, and when they parry it you parry it back!

Sometimes using demon pull twice will also bring them to you and let you attack them.

jett

D-Member
Don't wait around for their teleport! Just throw some shit at them like Flush, and when they parry it you parry it back!

Sometimes using demon pull twice will also bring them to you and let you attack them.

Hah, that's cool. For some reason I've mostly forgotten about parries, except for the big chainsaw guys.

Coconut

Banned

It's hard to keep a decent gap to have proper parrying time.

Dahbomb

The dreamrunners annoy me more, I'm just waiting around for them to teleport so I shoot them with charged revenant/grab them/slice/repeat. They just love their parrying. :p
You can throw Flush at them (which they will parry and you can parry that back at them to stun them) or charged Revenant at them while they teleport around. A lot of ways to beat them and engage them, which is why they consistently prove themselves to be the best enemies in the game.

I am 90% sure you can throw a Roundtrip at them, they will parry it back and you can parry that back but I haven't tried it yet.

It's hard to keep a decent gap to have proper parrying time.
You have to do it at long range and then immediately start up a Prop.

Also just as a side note... if enemies were faster, attacked from off screen and did way more damage but had lower health... demon weapons especially Arbiter would be used a lot less by most and Angel weapons would be preferred. Being able to cancel out of any part of the animation of an Angel move makes them very safe to use in combat where as with demon weapons you really need the space and the time to get their more powerful moves going. Also if the style meter worked like old games Angel weapons would be used a lot more. The system as it is now favors Demon and some what Rebellion over Angel weapons.

Demoskinos

Dreamrunners only really start to get tricky in pairs. One on one they are incredibly exploitable. As soon as one portals you demon dodge then at least I use High-Time and do a air combo with Rebellion. At some point he will parry you and you will have a split-second where you can demon dodge in the air again exposing him for more pounding. They are utterly exploitable.

Coconut

Banned
Can some one link to a video guide of all the hidden keys and shit like that cuz I'm not going to waste any more time looking for them myself.

Animator

Does this game get better? I am at the soft drink factory level and the level shifting around gimmick is getting really old. I was hoping for more varied environments.

Anteater

Does this game get better? I am at the soft drink factory level and the level shifting around gimmick is getting really old. I was hoping for more varied environments.

The environment shifting was the best at the beginning I think, the later parts aren't as cool looking but there's one stage a lot of people seems to like later on.

As for the combat it gets better as you unlock more weapons.

Cheddahz

Banned
DmC just disappeared from my Steam library, any help with this (I bought the Steam key off a NeoGAF member a couple of days ago)?

I'm beyond mad at this point, I paid $30 for the code and I was really liking the game too :(

Best course of action would be

1. Restarting Steam
2. Contacting the guy who sold the key to you
3. Contacting Steam Support

Licenses are usually revoked if you have an illegal key. Go to the DmC Store to see if you still own it.

Cheddahz

Banned
Best course of action would be

1. Restarting Steam
2. Contacting the guy who sold the key to you
3. Contacting Steam Support

Licenses are usually revoked if you have an illegal key. Go to the DmC Store to see if you still own it.

According to the store page, I no longer own it.....

Ammish

Banned
So just completed DmC. I actually really enjoy it in the end. I think with me constantly playing the demo, I actually found some good things that made me look forward to the full game. The combat is not as good as DMC3/4 for the sheer fact that it lacks a lot of experimentation which rewards you with style points. Even if I didn't exploit them as I struggle keeping up a combo in DMC3/4, I knew the combat is weaker and less satisfying than DMC3/4. The weapons I really enjoy, especially Aquila and I hope to see that return.

I like to point that the way it portrays the exposition and narrative is really good. I think not enough people give NT credit in regard to the game. The backstory of Dante's family shown through wall graffiti. Bob Barbas' over-exaggerated retelling of Dante's life, which actually contain elements of truth. Hell, the way Dante traverse the financial tower through Kat's plan, which is shown in-game rather than through the cutscene.

In a way, it succeed at marrying the narrative and the game.... some of the time. In the end, the story is not that great and NT's love of scripted events interrupt the boss fight too many times. For example, I would put Vergil as my most favourite, but the cutscenes interrupted it so many times for me. Once or twice would have been fine. I lost count how many scripted events thrown me off.

However, I would replay it again and anticipate the Vergil DLC. It is a great game and I dare say, a good Devil May Cry game. It just has various elements which holds it back and I hope that if a sequel arises, I would hope they will solve those issues.

Most of all, what bothers me is the lack of angels. I hope the next game expand upon that side of the lore and I have an inkling feeling that the Angels will be the antagonists, being portrayed as Lawful Authoritarians.

Cheddahz

Banned
Yeah that guy does it in a lot of threads and something seems fishy about it.

I didn't know of this before I bought the key, but after looking through his posts, he does seem like a fishy dude, it just sucks that I got scammed....oh well, looks like I'll try to do something about it

Bought this last week for the PC, only just started to get to grips with it, being about three or so hours into it. It's been a while since I've played a Devil May Cry game; my only previous experience being the very first game, which I enjoyed immensely, still, beyond that, I never felt compelled to play any of the other games. Having no strong attachment to the originals, and carrying no excess baggage, I really love the aesthetics of the reboot, particularly the way in which limbo is a distortion on reality, and just the design in general. Anyone else playing this in 3D? It's kind of stunning, and despite the loss of visual fidelity, it gives the game a sense of depth and serves to pull me in to the action even more. Unreal engine games always look and feel stunning in 3D; Batman : Arkham Asylum was the game that converted me over to 3D, convincing me that the format wasn't some gimmick or passing fad. It's something people should check out.

I am struggling somewhat with managing the myriad of button combos and manipulating the various maneuvers, it's a little fiddly for someone who isn't a veteran of the series, though, I guess I'm just out of practise. Despite that, from the perspective of someone who's only a passive fan of the franchise, Capcom has won me over this reboot, and unless the game completely falls off after the first three hours or so, I can see this as being one of my early contenders for game of the year.

dookeh

Just the fact that the game looks this good and runs @60fps in 3D w/ ultra settings @1080p on my gtx570 makes it GOTY lol. Seriously though, technically and design-wise, this game is awesome. I'm on level 4 or 5, and I can't wait to play more.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
So, I'm going through the DMC HD collection again, and I'm up to level 8 on DMC2. I beat the game when I was a kid, but damn, is this game terrible. I don't even understand what's happening, why it's happening, or even what I'm supposed to do. The setting makes no sense, and the story doesn't even exist for the most part. The moveset is incredibly limited, and it's just. . . . yeah. It's a shame too because the Dante design is fantastic, and he animates very well.

KePoW

Banned
So, I'm going through the DMC HD collection again, and I'm up to level 8 on DMC2. I beat the game when I was a kid, but damn, is this game terrible. I don't even understand what's happening, why it's happening, or even what I'm supposed to do. The setting makes no sense, and the story doesn't even exist for the most part. The moveset is incredibly limited, and it's just. . . . yeah. It's a shame too because the Dante design is fantastic, and he animates very well.

Yeah all the people saying that DMC2 is better than DmC are completely full of crap.

Platinum trophy get yay! Time to put DmC to the rest for now. Great game, will most likely revisit it again someday and try something challenging like DmD without items. My PS3 crashed like 4 times cause I played too much :lol.

One thing that really sucks tho. The bonus costume you get from SoS is laaaaaaame :lol. Fuck that thing. It was even the preorder costume for Dino in PSASBR >_<. Not that the first bonus costume is that good either.

Biggest issue with the game: too much unskippable stuff. For example the stupid flashback mindtunnel stuff with random quotes that don't mean anything. Also everything that has to do with following Kat. And I gotta admit after 4 friggin playthroughs that Mundus is terrible boss. Just lazy and he should be better than the normal bosses ffs. Bob is the best boss even tho he is laughably easy in any difficulty. It's almost impossible to get hit by him once you know what attack he is doing.

8.5/10. Terrible hyperbole surrounding the game ;/.

Teknoman

One thing I dont understand about DMC 2:

Why did they decide to make the sword slash noise so annoying? Seriously, game mechanics aside, I couldnt give the game a fair shot even if I wanted to, because of that hollow swoosh noise.

Dahbomb

DMC2 is ass and not worth trying to get into serious discussion about.

Demon Dodge -> Fully charged Slam is the new instant SSS combo. Bigger AOE than Trinity Smash and also a lot safer as it knocks back enemies on landing.

- J - D -

So that "patch" from the other day has caused the vibration in my dual shock 3 (through motioninjoy) to stop working in dmc pc. Well, technically it does still vibrate, but only during cutscenes or through scripted triggers. My button inputs don't cause it to vibrate anymore.

Anyone else?

Top Bottom