• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Dahbomb

Demon Dodge into full charged Slam is basically the equivalent of a free DTE in this game. Holy shit this is BROKE!!! I am tearing up crowds with this in SOS.

PowderedToast

just finished son of sparda run, a couple parts were a massive pain in the arse but other than that it was quite easy. it didn't feel very well designed, quote contrived enemy placements in parts. i hope the bloody palace offers a better and more imaginative challenge. prolly won't do a dmd run.

as a disclaimer i can't get through dmc3 special edition on normal, which puts into perspective where this game stands on the difficulty spectrum

Mike M

Nick N
None of the pictures work--and having an ad thing at the bottom with credit card logos is VERY off-putting.

Crazy, it was working a few minutes ago.

For reference, it's not my site. I just have a deal worked out with a local used game store where I get a free copy in exchange for a review.

EDIT: And now the pictures are back. No idea what that was about.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
When you DT you can go red or blue... or..neutral... mind blown. I bet it said so in one of the on screen tips too. To bad I turned them off.

KorrZ

DMD is basically the same as SoS except with 500% more harpies. Trying to shoot those bastards with anything else around...

They can be a pain, but I find if you just angel whip yourself into their face and blast them with the shotgun they go down in 2 shots. Once they're on the ground you can rip them to shreds.

You probably already know this, but when you pop devil trigger you can damage red or blue enemies with devil/angel or regular weapons.

I've been being dumb and sticking to their color even in devil trigger.

Wow...on my 4th playthrough and did NOT know this. Could come in handy against the blood/ghost rages for keeping my style up.

Dahbomb

You probably already know this, but when you pop devil trigger you can damage red or blue enemies with devil/angel or regular weapons.

I've been being dumb and sticking to their color even in devil trigger.
This has been known since the demo's release.

Very useful for taking out problematic enemy waves... but I save my DT for Witch encounters because she ruins my Stylish points with her off screen attacks and shield non sense.

Aquila + Osiris combo becomes absolutely devastating in DT mode. You just whip to an enemy, Buy in and start building up that Osiris feed. I have cleared out an entire wave of like 9 enemies in one aerial combo with this.

Well after spending some time with this game, I can definitely see my old idea of STYLE MODIFIER to be implemented in a possible DMC5.

What is this STYLE MODIFIER? Well just like Angel and Demon Modifiers, you hold the Style Modifier Button and any of the face buttons to do something from the Styles of DMC3/4.

Example:

Control Layout (PS3):
X= Jump
[]= Gun
/\= Melee
O= Dodge/DevilTrigger/Nero Arm Grab/Launcher (depending of the game system or character in use)
L1= Lock On
R1= Style Modifier
L2 and R2= Melee Weapon Cycling L2-Left R2-Right
Dpad L or R= Gun Cycling

Now how would the Style Modifier Work?

R1+X = Trickster Moveset
R1+[] = Gunslinger Moveset
R1+/\ = SwordMaster
R1+O = Royal Guard (if the game doesn't have Melee Parries ala DmC, which I like)

And of course you could combine R1+[]+X to do Upward Rotating shooting ala DmC (forgot the name of the move)

Or they could implement Weapon combinations, example:
[]+/\ = Gun and Melee combination weapon

Simple example, you jump press []+/\ Dante rotates with his Sword while also Shooting with this Guns. It will be just maybe 1 or 2 moves per combination and that could give way more variation to the moveset.

AppleMIX

DarҖaoZ;47121135 said:
Well after spending some time with this game, I can definitely see my old idea of STYLE MODIFIER to be implemented in a possible DMC5.

What is this STYLE MODIFIER? Well just like Angel and Demon Modifiers, you hold the Style Modifier Button and any of the face buttons to do something from the Styles of DMC3/4.

Example:

Control Layout (PS3):
X= Jump
[]= Gun
/\= Melee
O= Dodge/DevilTrigger/Nero Arm Grab/Launcher (depending of the game system or character in use)
L1= Lock On
R1= Style Modifier
L2 and R2= Melee Weapon Cycling L2-Left R2-Right
Dpad L or R= Gun Cycling

Now how would the Style Modifier Work?

R1+X = Trickster Moveset
R1+[] = Gunslinger Moveset
R1+/\ = SwordMaster
R1+O = Royal Guard (if the game doesn't have Melee Parries ala DmC, which I like)

And of course you could combine R1+[]+X to do Upward Rotating shooting ala DmC (forgot the name of the move)

Or they could implement Weapon combinations, example:
[]+/\ = Gun and Melee combination weapon

Simple example, you jump press []+/\ Dante rotates with his Sword while also Shooting with this Guns. It will be just maybe 1 or 2 moves per combination and that could give way more variation to the moveset.

I was also thinking about how the controls could be improved in the sequels.

I was thinking this

A= Jump
X= Attack
Y= Attack 2
B= Guns

LT= Lock on
RT= Switch between angle and demon mode
RB= Style
LB= Grapple

Each weapon you get has two version, angle and demon. For example your main weapon when your in demon mode would be rebellion and in angle mode would be the Yamato or something like that.

Up of the D-pad would switch weapons, Up for guns (which could be effected by the whole angle and demon mode) and the other 3 could be used for weapons, giving you 6 in total.

derFeef

Game looks and plays amazing on PC. I am not very good at it, but it's huge fun anyway. Guess I will blast through it this weekend since I have nothing to do :)

Facism

Has anyone managed to mod the weapon triggers to toggles rather than holds, yet? Or adjusted the colour-coded enemies to take damage from any weapon?

Heaven or Hell is wack as shit. Think I might call it quits until Bloody Palace comes out before I knock both it and Hell and Hell out.

I'm not all that sure about Bloody Palace with how tedious some of the later enemy waves can be. I'll attempt to finish it, but I don't think it's something I'll be going back to time and time again.

Now is about as a good a time to give my final verdict. Game is definitely good. Not nearly as deep as a character action game should be and the higher difficulties are achieved in a manner I find laborious. For someone outside of the genre, it's a great place to start. It stresses the use of improvisation and juggling various tools in order to succeed. It also has a sense style to it. The problem with it as a game of this variety is that the methods in which you go about using these tools is very focused and actually discourages improvisation through the use of certain mechanics. The objective in each battle always felt to clear which think is a problem.

I enjoyed it for what it was. Still, at the same time, I was disappointed by what it wasn't

PowderedToast

Heaven or Hell is wack as shit. Think I might call it quits until Bloody Palace comes out before I knock both it and Hell and Hell out.

I'm not all that sure about Bloody Palace with how tedious some of the later enemy waves can be. I'll attempt to finish it, but I don't think it's something I'll be going back to time and time again.

Now is about as a good a time to give my final verdict. Game is definitely good. Not nearly as deep as a character action game should be and the higher difficulties are achieved in a manner I find laborious. For someone outside of the genre, it's a great place to start. It stresses the use of improvisation and juggling various tools in order to succeed. It also has a sense style to it. The problem with it as a game of this variety is that the methods in which you go about using these tools is very focused and actually discourages improvisation through the use of certain mechanics. The objective in each battle always felt to clear which think is a problem.

I enjoyed it for what it was. Still, at the same time, I was disappointed by what it wasn't
yep, i agree completely. the longer i spend with DmC the more i find myself yearning for the likes of dmc4. i can't see ninja theory's effort maintaining the longevity of earlier titles in the series, there just isn't enough to the enemy design or mechanics - as fun as i think they are.

if they do have a chance to build on this foundation (dmc license or not) i think ninja theory have it in them to make a really great action game. i'm sure they've learned a whole bunch during their time with this one.

Facism

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123738561#19783

Unfortunately there isn't anything for colored enemies yet

nice, that'll do for the meantime. I fucking hate hold functions. Thanks mate.

Coloured enemies are so tedious i don't know how they're in the game. Whoever wanted the heavenly sword light > medium > heavy stances combined with these terrible "put the cube through the square hole" kids toy mechanics needs a stern talking to.

It's a fun game, worth the £12 so far.

As someone who isn't a veteran of the series, I'm kind of struggling to juggle the various non-combat moves together during the platform sections. All the button combinations, and the fiddly aspect of it, has been something of a downer for me, and I don't ever recall the original Devil May Cry being particularly frustrating in this regard, but, then, it has been ten or so years since I've played it. Despite that, I'm enjoying my visit to the slurm factory and can't wait to party with this guy at the end of the tour.

tumblr_lg2wygn2iS1qdlje4o1_500.png

Cmagus

Finished this last night on PC in one sitting. This was the best DMC in the series imo. The environments were amazing, the characters were great and the writing although cheesy at time was pretty good and entertaining I certainly had a few good laughs. I hope Ninja Theory does another one I really like these guys Heavenly sword was good and Enslaved was great these guys are on a roll imo.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm not very excited for BP anymore. I can't imagine them not going crazy with the most ridiculous color waves + dreamrunners at the peak. Vergil's Downfall has a lot of potential atleast.

Do we have a release date for Vergils Downfall and any info what shape it takes? Is it like Vergil side of the story? Prequel? Lenght?
trophies?

I'll prolly get it day 1 anyway. :)

Dahbomb

As someone who isn't a veteran of the series, I'm kind of struggling to juggle the various non-combat moves together during the platform sections. All the button combinations, and the fiddly aspect of it, has been something of a downer for me, and I don't ever recall the original Devil May Cry being particularly frustrating in this regard, but, then, it has been ten or so years since I've played it.
DMC1 didn't have nearly as much options or mechanics in its combat as DmC. The series has evolved a lot since then although the platforming is quite a lot in this game.

Do we have a release date for Vergils Downfall and any info what shape it takes? Is it like Vergil side of the story? Prequel? Lenght?
trophies?

I'll prolly get it day 1 anyway. :)
Seems like a several hours, released end of February, takes place both during some of the events of DmC and ends after the ending to DmC (so it's like a continuation of the story) and finally yes it has Achievements and Trophies.

edgefusion

I'm kind of terrible at this game. I'm playing on Son of Sparda mode and getting my ass whooped on mission 1. My brain just can't handle all the different moves and button combinations. Does anyone have any tips on how not to suck or some tactic that might help a bit?

jett

D-Member
2013-01-31_00001lquq9.jpg

My name is Donte.

Finished SoS and all of the collectibles. I'm disappointed the bosses didn't change much if at all, in fact they were probably easier since I knew all their patterns and I was fully powered up. Still good fun, parrying the dreamrunners with the Eryx doesn't get tiring. I tried doing the Axe throw but it just became a boring back and forth thing. :p The Eryx are seriously quite badass.

What's with the leaderboards on Steam? Fucking bullshit is all I have to say.

jett

D-Member
I'm kind of terrible at this game. I'm playing on Son of Sparda mode and getting my ass whooped on mission 1. My brain just can't handle all the different moves and button combinations. Does anyone have any tips on how not to suck or some tactic that might help a bit?

Are you somehow starting on SoS with a downloaded saved game? A Nephilim run should've made you accustomed to DmC's control setup.

Isaccard

Try Ninja Gaiden or God of War?

I kid

edgefusion

Are you somehow starting on SoS with a downloaded saved game? A Nephilim run should've made you accustomed to DmC's control setup.

No, I'm just awful. When it comes to remembering move sets I have the memory of a sieve. I'll just blunder through and give up if I find it frustrating.

Dahbomb

What's with the leaderboards on Steam? Fucking bullshit is all I have to say.
That's because people are using Trainers and changing the coding in the game to give them like a million style points per hit.

Does anyone have any tips on how not to suck or some tactic that might help a bit?
What are you having trouble with?

Every weapon has the same inputs for moves.

Y//\ for regular attacks, you can pause after the 2nd hit for every weapon for different finishers which are usually more powerful than just mashing the attack button
O/B for launcher except on Aquila which has the Round Trip move that locks people in place
f,f + Y/ /\ is a dashing or long ranged move on all weapons. For Arbiter he throws the Axe out and with Aquila it's a rising dash that launches enemies

In the air Y / /\ is the standard juggling attack for all weapons. 2nd attack of Angel/Rebellion weapons can be paused for alternate combos. Demon weapons have no pause variant.
In the air O/B has a special property and usually brings you down with Rebellion/Demon weapons. For the Angel weapons it assists in maintaining aerial combos.

All weapons have a charge move except Arbiter. All of Eryx moves can be charged, hold /\/Y for Rebellion/Osiris and O/B for Aquila. Rebellion's Drive is particularly useful.

Triggers + the shoot button will be the whip. Use it to get around from enemies to enemies or pull them in/latch shields off of them.

Triggers + Dodge button are the two different dodge. Angel dodge helps you get around the combat area quicker and doge more safely where as Demon dodge if timed with an enemy attack powers up your attacks. Use this a lot. Note that you can go from Demon Dodge -> Angel Dodge to keep the flow of combat.

Don't concentrate too much on charging guns in combat, just use it to break the defense of enemies (Kablooey to break yellow armor on enemies, Shotgun to clear smaller enemies/break wings on Harpies and E&I to blind the rates/prevent fodder enemies from blocking).

Other useful tips that I can give:

*Osiris Prop move is excellent for Parries. Use it on enemies you know get disabled completely if they are parried like the Butcher who tosses those chain saws. The Prop follow up Shredder is performed by first pausing a bit after Prop then holding down the O/B button for as long as possible. The Shredder follow up is great for taking out Frost Knights who have shields up.

*To do really long ass air combos on a huge group of enemies do this simply combo:

Laucher -> Osiris Double Up -> Angel Pull -> Switch to Aquila Buy In (this will pull all enemies towards you in the air) -> Switch to Osiris Double Up -> Angel Pull and repeat.

*Against shielded enemies, wait for them to attack while holding down Demon stance and dodge with their attack. Once you see the game slow down time your next attack is powered up. Equip the Gauntlets and jump up hold down O/B for a very powerful area of affect attack. This will knock them back and do a lot of damage, provide some breathing room so you can take out enemies one by one.

*Trinity Smash is the most bang for your buck move when you have isolated an enemy and they are incapacitated (very very useful against bosses). Other than that a fully charged Eryx Snake Eyes does a ton of damage as well but it takes even longer to charge it up.

*Use the Demon Pull to remove shields of flying enemies and then another Demon Pull to bring them in. One hit of Arbiter should finish them off. Against Harpies you want to do Angel Pull and Shotgun in their face twice which will break their wings and drop them to the ground allowing them to be comboed like regular enemies.

*Round Trip is INSANE. Use it to lock down certain enemies, hold down for more lock down. When you have colored enemies on screen, lock down the Blue enemy with Round Trip and go ham on the Red enemy with demon weapons. Round Trip is also a MUST against the Witch enemy as it breaks her shield and allows you to get in.

*The bigger enemies can be launched like regular enemies using a fully charged Eryx O/B. You first have to incapacitate them first to get the launcher off though.

*Use Overdrive at long distances for safe damage as well as Flush and Round Trip. Note that Overdrive breaks the Chainsaw enemies out of their yellow armored states and does respectable damage all around.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm not very excited for BP anymore. I can't imagine them not going crazy with the most ridiculous color waves + dreamrunners at the peak. Vergil's Downfall has a lot of potential atleast.

I have to agree with you. Finished SoS last night and the enemies waves in the last third of the game are downright tedious and really emphasize the aspects of this game I don't like. Think I'll give this game a break until Vergil's Downfall hits, maybe I'll do a DMD run at that time too.

TimeInc

Went through on Human mode just to see how easy it would be. Blood hell is it so easy, the bosses go down in practically one combo. it took me only half an hour longer to do it on Human mode as it did on Heaven or Hell. Just got DMD and Hell and Hell mode left to do. Not looking forward to Hell and Hell.

Went through on Human mode just to see how easy it would be. Blood hell is it so easy, the bosses go down in practically one combo. it took me only half an hour longer to do it on Human mode as it did on Heaven or Hell. Just got DMD and Hell and Hell mode left to do. Not looking forward to Hell and Hell.

When you complete DmD mode, you unlock Super Dante which grants you unlimited devil trigger. It makes HaH mode a cinch outside the bosses, which don't put up much of a fight anyway.

Replaying some missions, can I just mention how much I dislike the (admittedly rare) pop culture references?

Like, Dante talking about Biggest Loser or "Devil's Got Talent."

Yes, I get it, you're British. Doesn't mean you need to reference TV shows in your games.

TimeInc

When you complete DmD mode, you unlock Super Dante which grants you unlimited devil trigger. It makes HaH mode a cinch outside the bosses, which don't put up much of a fight anyway.

oh, thats good to know, I've SSS every mission on all the difficulties so far, it'll drive me insane if there ends up being a few that I can't get the SSS rank on.

jett

D-Member
Replaying some missions, can I just mention how much I dislike the (admittedly rare) pop culture references?

Yes, I get it, you're British. Doesn't mean you need to reference TV shows in your games.

What does that have to do with it?

oh, thats good to know, I've SSS every mission on all the difficulties so far, it'll drive me insane if there ends up being a few that I can't get the SSS rank on.

Oh, if getting SSS on every mission is a priority then you won't want to activate Super Dante as that automatically halves your score at the end of every mission. You're in for a challenge after all!

TimeInc

Oh, if getting SSS on every mission is a priority then you won't want to activate Super Dante as that automatically halves your score at the end of every mission. You're in for a challenge after all!

oh great, I reckon SSS hell and hell may be a step too far for me.

Dahbomb

H&H are joke difficulties to me anyway. I don't think H&H is going to be hard getting SSS ranks for because deaths don't really impact overall ranking THAT much. As long as you don't die too much you will be getting SSS ranks anyway because by this time you know how to kill stuff efficiently. And H&H is not on DMD mode scaling, at least I don't think.

Also what is everyone's strategy post-patch for getting SSS for Style points? Ever since the patch I have been getting SS ranks for style points (still can get SSS overall of Time and Completion are SSS).

It seems that my initial strategy of DD -> Stomp was too good because it lowered the enemies' health a lot. I think the best way to farm style points now is to DD -> perform a SSS combo quick on a singular enemy or at most two then go ape shit on every other enemy with Osiris + Aquila air combos (air combos/juggles gives a lot of style points).

I am not sure how frequent I should be using DT in combat. It does give you a style point bonus but it also kills enemies faster. I think it's best used after you get a SSS rank for maximum style points.

jett

D-Member
H&H are joke difficulties to me anyway. I don't think H&H is going to be hard getting SSS ranks for because deaths don't really impact overall ranking THAT much. As long as you don't die too much you will be getting SSS ranks anyway because by this time you know how to kill stuff efficiently. And H&H is not on DMD mode scaling, at least I don't think.

Also what is everyone's strategy post-patch for getting SSS for Style points? Ever since the patch I have been getting SS ranks for style points (still can get SSS overall of Time and Completion are SSS).

It seems that my initial strategy of DD -> Stomp was too good because it lowered the enemies' health a lot. I think the best way to farm style points now is to DD -> perform a SSS combo quick on a singular enemy or at most two then go ape shit on every other enemy with Osiris + Aquila air combos (air combos/juggles gives a lot of style points).

I am not sure how frequent I should be using DT in combat. It does give you a style point bonus but it also kills enemies faster. I think it's best used after you get a SSS rank for maximum style points.

Post patch makes no difference to me in how I play. I just SSS's Mission 1 on DMD. DD+Triple Smash or whatever(I always forget the name) still works the best. I always mix it up of course but for a quick style boost that combo against a group of enemies will always do the trick.

Z3M0G

Picked this up on Steam last night. Game looks incredible on Ultra settings. Glad I didn't get this on PS3 instead... would have been $10 more to boot...

Haunted

Wait, are these British shows? I thought the Fox News references were much more blatant.

edit: ah, I get it, you meant as in the British devs are making fun of shitty US pop culture. Well, they do have a point. And I don't think pop culture references are out of place for this Dante.

Has anyone gotten worse performance post-patch? My game crashed a couple times trying to load missions and when they do load the framerate seems lower.

Top Bottom