• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Facism

Beat it last night. Good gameplay, marred by tired, boring platforming elements, a story that takes itself too seriously and tries to channel the political and social opinions of a 13 year old girl who stumbled across 9/11 consipiracy theories on the internet. "TEH MEDIA OH NOES" etc haha. HAd me rolling my eyes more than once. It was also very, very easy on Nephilim. Average SS ranks across the board.

Donte's character was surprisingly good. Relatively grounded with some attitude that came off as an actual part of his personality rather than a facade or play-acting. wouldn't mind more of this Donte, with a bit more wisdom and belief in his abilities and lineage.

Virgal was a simpering douche most of the game. He had one redeeming moment in the cutscene before the vault, then shit the bed for the final chapter. Terrible castration of his character from DMC3.

All in all, 6.5/10, worth the £13 i paid. Will raise by a point when someone figures out how to mod out the colour coded enemies.

Dahbomb

MOTHER OF GOD!!!!

Dantes.... Dantes EVERYWHERE!!!

I hope this finally puts to rest the Dante vs Ryu debate. Dante was fucking parrying and counter attacking off screen bullet attacks and shit while Just Releasing for massive damage. This is basically how he would demolish in that game, the faster attack rates would just make his RG hit harder and more frequently.

Isaccard

MOTHER OF GOD!!!!

Dantes.... Dantes EVERYWHERE!!!

I hope this finally puts to rest the Dante vs Ryu debate. Dante was fucking parrying and counter attacking off screen bullet attacks and shit while Just Releasing for massive damage. This is basically how we would demolish in that game, the faster attack rates would just make his RG hit harder and more frequently.

The debate was over before it started :lol

Anteater

I kind of like the sparkling with the osiris, there should be more sparklings next game for the angel weapons

add an angel trigger next game, thanks.

I kind of like the sparkling with the osiris, there should be more sparklings next game for the angel weapons

add an angel trigger next game, thanks.

TARGET MARKET REACHED! or..can't tell if trolling :(

at any rate..
Coopcom pls

43387d1351393641t-google-october-29-event-canceled-due-hurricane-dolan-small.png

Dahbomb

I dig the Osiris more than I thought I would. In terms of dishing out actual damage all around you in a safe manner Osiris is the weapon of choice. Arbiter/Eryx/Rebellion don't have that level of crowd control and all of Aquila's moves do bad damage which when you are in DMD trying to SSS rank it you can't just go ham with Round Trip and Buy In, you need to incorporate Osiris into the mix to kill crowds faster and prevent then from DTing.

They did a fine job of balancing the weapons and all of them have their purpose in particular combat scenarios. I still think Arbiter is the defacto boss killer in the game but I find myself using it less in DMD enemy encounter, its the most unsafe weapon in the game. The best thing about Arbiter are the long ranged move which allow you to disable enemies from a distance.

Dahbomb

WTF happened to mainstream Reviews that I cant find a single one that reflected my experience with the game but on youtube some dude makes a video review and its spot on ?_? Mainstream reviews are a joke.
That's because this guy is a hardcore DMC fan/player so his point of view is of that. Most reviewers don't have the same perception or come from the same experience as him. So what he picks up as faults in the game (which are hard to deny) would not be something that a reviewer or a casual player picks up. I mean is a reviewer really going to care if DMD is easy and is not that hard to SSS rank? They probably didn't even play on DMD to check where as this guy put out his review AFTER he SSS ranked all of DMD mode.

I don't agree with DmC being a below average/average hack n slash game of course. I think it's well above average because an average action game is like a B/C tier action game (like Ninja Gaiden 3 Vanilla). It's only below top tier action games.

Dahbomb

Errm remember when I said that Dante could not survive in a NG world?

Forget it.
To be honest DMC1 Dante, DMC2 Dante (well DDT is broke so I don't really know about this one) and both forms of Vergils would get demolished in NG2 because they don't have super invincible parry/counter moves. DmC Dante would survive and kill enemies as long as he has his DT but he won't have that for long so he will get destroyed most likely unless the fight is in an open area in which case he would just juggle them to the sky or play keep away with guns. DMC3 and DMC4 Dante have Royal Guard which is only limited by player skill.

Also in that video if the guy didn't have Super Dante costume he would've been killed very early on. Quite a few of his parries weren't perfect so he was getting hit constantly however since he was in DT mode he was armoring through the hits and maintaining the RG stance. Someone super skilled enough will be able to do that without Super Dante... it's just a matter of skill.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow...did they change Poison on DMD at all? Nothing but swipe parries and that weird tracking attack she gets on SoS. Doesn't seem more aggressive or different in any way I could tell.

Anteater

Wow...did they change Poison on DMD at all? Nothing but swipe parries and that weird tracking attack she gets on SoS. Doesn't seem more aggressive or different in any way I could tell.

I think bosses are all the same on dmd but with a bit higher damage from what i can tell, hunter uses the hiding move where you need to parry earlier and that's pretty much it.

I have a hard time disagreeing with any of this but he must have only played the very best if he thinks DmC is below average as a hack'n'slash game. He's 100% on point with his comments about the platforming and the cutscenes though.

Game was great fun but in comparison DMC3 is the better game. As for it being below average the genre is not that populated a statement like that can be effectively made.

Heavenly Sword
Ninja Gaiden
God of War
Devil May Cry
Metal Gear Rising
Bayonetta
Dantes Inferno
Darksiders
Chaos Legion
Fist of the North Star
Afro Samurai
God Hand

I'm struggling to name more and based on that list it falls pretty highly Id place it below Ninja Gaiden/Bayonetta and the original DMC games but it terms of combat at least it plays better than the rest.

Dahbomb

Its the same AI wise you just take more damage if you get hit. Its the same for every boss. I beat Hunter in less than 15 secs on DMD.

Lijik

Chaos Legion, where art thou? :(
God I loved Chaos Legion. The action was shallow, even more so than even that Nightmare Before Christmas action game Capcom put out IIRC, but there was something so satisfying about the game to play. Learning the enemy layouts and the most effective way to handle them was so much fun

They could have done so much with that games blueprint this gen.

God I loved Chaos Legion. The action was shallow, even more so than even that Nightmare Before Christmas action game Capcom put out IIRC, but there was something so satisfying about the game to play. Learning the enemy layouts and the most effective way to handle them was so much fun

The "Legions" concept sold me on that game by itself. I favorites were those "Demonic Knight" looking things that floated slightly off of the ground. And if I recall correctly, you could upgrade them so you could have 4 or 5 of them on the field at once, and IT WAS GLORIOUS. /sheds tear But didn't you like lose abilities or something when you summoned legions?

Oh, and Sieg for MvC4/Capcom All-Stars.

Karish

For those of you with 3D TVs... this game looks really good when using 2D>3D conversion mode. Not sure why but it almost feels like game was made to support 3D. Check it out!

jett

D-Member
Beat DMD mode, my death stats:
10 deaths on Nephilim
34 on SoS
50 on DMD

Apparently it got progressively more difficult but it didn't feel that way. A couple of really cool guantlets of enemies on Missions 16 and 17. Deamrunners bow to the might of Eryx. Really, even two at once are cake with Snake Eyes(followed by Overdrive). Most of the time I tried not to DT because frankly it's a win button, but I did anyway when I got fed up of the witches and paired rages. :p Those two are by far the most problematic enemies in the game for me. I was almost surprised DMD didn't shove two witches at my face. :p

I dunno if I'll bother with the HaH modes. One is stupid and the other doesn't seem like fun at all.

Friggin' Adult Thanatos at the beginning of the game man. They give you all that awesome power and then take it away right after.. I miss that game. :(

Dahbomb

Yea if you were able to beat SOS you should be able to beat DMD. Despite enemies DT there isn't any major spike in difficulty for DMD. The jump from Neph to SOS is greater.

Also enemy DT can be removed if you parry them so its not like a major threat you have to worry about.

jett

D-Member
Yea if you were able to beat SOS you should be able to beat DMD. Despite enemies DT there isn't any major spike in difficulty for DMD. The jump from Neph to SOS is greater.

Also enemy DT can be removed if you parry them so its not like a major threat you have to worry about.

Yep.

Daante

Bought the game 2 days ago on steam.

Didnt really had any expectations for it since a lot of people seem to prefer the previous games in this franchise (witch i thought i would do aswell).
Played 5 missions so far and having a blast. PC version runs perfectly, maxed out on my 3570k @3,4 ghz with a 7850.

Eideka

Banned
6 hours so far and this is much better than I imagined. Solid combats, superb art direction, a surprisingly decent story..Even the new Dante is nowhear near as insufferable as I thought.

Gbraga

The worst parts to replay in the game are where the game strips you of your options and you have to walk through Limbo with Kat while the two talk about shit. No way to go through it faster or to skip it.

Keep that shit away from DMC please or if you put it in make sure it's skippable. So much unskippable non sense in the game.

Indeed, mission 12 was my favorite mission on my first playthrough, but after playing on Son of Sparda, the amount of combat is not enough to make it worth the unskippable walking around.

Started playing this the other day, and I just stopped at Mission 13 a few minutes ago. I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far. I've gone through most of my playtime feeling pretty comfortable with all of the weapons that I've been getting with nothing being too special standing out until I acquired Aquila. Holy hell, you guys were right! This weapon feels awesome to use and it's really well rounded to boot.

Dahbomb

Aquila is a great weapon overall (probably one of the best additions that DmC has made to the series) but I wouldn't call it well rounded. It's a PURE crowd control weapon. All of it's moves are for the sole purpose of controlling crowds. It's damage output is the lowest out of all the weapons so you can't rely solely on it to kill mobs.

Most versatile weapon in the game is of course Rebellion just like in every DMC game. Solid damage, good long range options, air combos, can raise style fast, decent crowd control.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Made it to the final mission... what a joke that "final" boss is/was. All in all this game is a giant let down outside of its interesting art direction. The story is especially bad - and while DMC has never been one for story, at least the original games were somewhat interesting in that respect.

dmr87

Enjoyed the gameplay/had fun with the combat up to the
"disco boss", after that I got to the "protect the car mission"
, I did an imaginary facepalm and the game dropped off from there on to the end. Didn't care for the characters or the story and
Mundus was a joke
. Took 7 hours on Nephalim, won't replay.

Veelk

Banned
Request: Can someone find all the graffiti artwork in the game?

It'd be best if modders could find a folder that had all the graffiti textures stored in it, but I have no idea how feasible that is. But it's difficult to find all the art work or know if you have found all of it since unlike other secrets, there is no counter that tells you if you have seen each of them. However, the graffiti in the game tends to tell some kind of story to it, or it's atleast related to the story in some way. I know of atleast one artwork of a woman who I don't know who she was or what she meant. So if anyone knows where I can find a compilation of all this kind of stuff, please tell me.

mr stroke

For those of you with 3D TVs... this game looks really good when using 2D>3D conversion mode. Not sure why but it almost feels like game was made to support 3D. Check it out!

+1

I generally hate 3D games, but I have been playing this in NVIDIA 3D Surround and the 3D is fantastic. Some of the best 3D in any game. So much depth.

Made it to the final mission... what a joke that "final" boss is/was. All in all this game is a giant let down outside of its interesting art direction. The story is especially bad - and while DMC has never been one for story, at least the original games were somewhat interesting in that respect.

The story is pretty weak. The Angel element added absolutely nothing. Vergil is lame. No crazy. Dante got serious'd up. Kat is the typical NT female companion and the bosses were all ass.

I don't care what anyone says, the mythos in the old games was fucking cool. The cinematic representation coalesced with the action in-game. Sparda was badass and his sons were badass. Trish and Lady were cool too. I want my crazy back.

I managed to realign my expectations to end up liking DmC eventually, sort of. I'm looking forward to digging into the HD collection once it shows up in the mail

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Enjoyed the gameplay/had fun with the combat up to the
"disco boss", after that I got to the "protect the car mission"
, I did an imaginary facepalm and the game dropped off from there on to the end. Didn't care for the characters or the story and
Mundus was a joke
. Took 7 hours on Nephalim, won't replay.

That's probably the moment where I really started to dislike the game as well.

The story is pretty weak. The Angel element added absolutely nothing. Vergil is lame. No crazy. Dante got serious'd up. Kat is the typical NT female companion and the bosses were all ass.

I don't care what anyone says, the mythos in the old games was fucking cool. The cinematic representation coalesced with the action in-game. Sparda was badass and his sons were badass. Trish and Lady were cool too. I want my crazy back.

I managed to realign my expectations to end up liking DmC eventually, sort of. I'm looking forward to digging into the HD collection once it shows up in the mail

I agree with all your points actually - I do love the mythos in the other games. Kat really irked me the entire time as well...
Personally I think this is a failed experiment - perhaps the game should have been called something else, because it certainly did a terrible job "re-imagining" DMC. Three strikes in a row for Ninja Theory... I think it's about time companies stopped hiring them.

ezekial45

Banned
I agree with all your points actually - I do love the mythos in the other games. Kat really irked me the entire time as well...
Personally I think this is a failed experiment - perhaps the game should have been called something else, because it certainly did a terrible job "re-imagining" DMC. Three strikes in a row for Ninja Theory... I think it's about time companies stopped hiring them.

Wow...

What a shitty thing to say.

That's probably the moment where I really started to dislike the game as well.

They made 2 middling games and one pretty good one and now no one should hire them?

Your reasoning seems out of touch.

BadAss2961

Thank you.

Veelk

Banned

If your interested in a good analysis of the story and have some free time, I think this incredibly smart and handsome poster did a good job deconstructing it.

I spent several hours writing that up, and I'm getting as much mileage out of it as I can.

Top Bottom